• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Amiibo Thread 6 | We're up all night to get salty

Status
Not open for further replies.

kirby_fox

Banned
Having been here from around the start- I think I see what's going on.

Basically, amiibos have slowly been ramping up to this. I think there were people who weren't into it, bought a couple and now are buying all of them. They missed out on a lot of the first 3 waves, as many of you here.

You also are likely seeing 10X more scalpers now than before, because where there's money there are people buying stuff and putting it on ebay.

So you have a lot more people looking at these sites on here, on Reddit, and overall. You have legit fans who want their fave characters, people who are getting caught up in the hype and scalpers. If Nintendo had doubled production, it still wouldn't have mattered. The demand right here is too large to keep up.

But with supply/demand it also means the more scalpers who think they can make money off of it, and people not wanting to buy from scalpers more and more equals a breaking point. And I think we're at the breaking point where ebay is gonna get flooded so hard with these, and not enough people buying them now that they feel burnt out- the demand will die out a bit.

shanafan

Did Target ever do a PA about Jigglypuff being sold out? Are they going to open up preorders again this morning, maybe?

Rosalina preorders turned back on a number of times before release date, and then even back on her release day.

Just keep checking Target's website, or this thread.

Yarbskoo

Fuck this, I'm going to bed. I'll just get the figma and hope Nintendo decides to actually put some effort in for my money.

Somnid

Does anyone believe Nintendo might supply the demand with the success of this wave? I mean...They want money right? Am I wrong?

There's a huge amount of paranoia but if they can't even meet preorder demand they are going to ship more, this isn't a communication issue either, this is a common sense issue. These aren't limited gold variants, unless they have another plan to re-release a Ness Amiibo they'll print it again because there is still lots of demand. I wouldn't doubt TRU, Target, and Gamestop would have any issues stocking more after what's happened and after wave 3 that's probably why they lined up for round 2 of exclusives. It's not every day you can find a product that sells many thousands per minute.

Kilau

I think I can do salty--

I'm actually vacationing in Japan as all of this is going down. Given I'm not about to sit around in my hotel room on a slow ass public connection in the hope of my cart timing out at ass o'clock in the morning, I think I'm finally going to relegate to trading all the extra rares I've obtained to any fellow gaffers for these remaining wave 4s, then bowing out. I literally missed every opportunity this far to obtain any before they were simply gone. I would say Nintendo has truly fucked this up beyond compare and has really taken any joy out of collecting these characters, and in that sense, deserve any financial hardships that befall them from here on out.

I know what you mean. I am thinking I can just stay in for the characters I really want, but wow everything is such debacle, and there is no reason for it.

Lunarian

Neo Member
Well...set my alarm for 5am PST because everyone was speculating 8am EST and that turned out to be wrong. Took a gamble but no way was I going to stay up all night. Back to bed...sad day ; ;

Regiruler

Just called in to my target. Apparently, assuming the reps weren't completely misinformed, they didn't receive any pre-order cards for the inkling 3-pack.

Rootbeer

Banned
not really, exclusives aside, many are having trouble grabbing all of the wave.

but only for now. they will propagate through the system over time. i can walk into TRU and find mega man or sonic or some of the other characters that were once hard to find. not saying it's as easy as going to grab a gallon of milk but it's very doable.

not gonna happen with the retailer exclusives

Crom

3AM?! those dumb fucks

For real. I went to bed around 1:30 AM (Central Time) and set my alarm for 5:55 AM. Tried going back to sleep after I found out about Toys R Us (and Greninja going up around 2AM and selling out).

As usual...I can't sleep after I get up. Layed back in bed for about 40 minutes.

Checked my phone by the bed. Someone posted that Greninja was back up. Ran to my desktop to see no one was getting him and it was a false alarm.

RootCause

but only for now. they will propagate through the system over time. i can walk into TRU and find mega man or sonic or some of the other characters that were once hard to find. not saying it's as easy as going to grab a gallon of milk but it's very doable.

not gonna happen with the retailer exclusives
That might hold true for the likes of wario ,Pacman, charizard. The FE characters could be a problem.

Here it is 4/3 like Nintendo tweeted and I'm standing in Target. Can't find Mario Series red Mario. I can't find the DPCI either. Team Member says "we get new stuff on Tuesdays" even though it's street dated. I honestly don't know what I expected.

Gurrry

So last night after "retiring", i wake up this morning feeling like I shouldve tried to buy them.

Its becoming not fun for me anymore, but I want the complete smash collection. I just hate dealing with refreshing and checking store websites all the time. Its really a pain in the ass. Especially when things sell out so quickly.

Oh well, I guess I can deal with just having this part of my collection or just sell it off now before they become beanie babies.

It sucks. A part of me still wants them, but I dont want to work for them. Maybe ill just buy them all on ebay later on down the line.

:(

Snaku

Banned
What a complete shit show US Amiibo continues to be. I really don't know what NOA is thinking, but they're doing a great deal of harm to the loyalty of their fans.

shanafan

Ehh, I doubt that. Megaman/Sonic are pretty common. I might miss first shipment or two, but there will be ones on store shelves. I bet pac-man and charizard end up common.

Wario is definitely a common. He's a main Nintendo character, like Link and Mario.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom