• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Amiibo Thread 6 | We're up all night to get salty

Status
Not open for further replies.

Jawmuncher

And let's get off Nintendo's case :) Producing amiibo is not a cheap process. On IGN's NVC podcast, they said it takes a good month of production to produce amiibo to satisfy retailers. Nintendo does not have unlimited funds to produce millions of amiibo to make everyone happy. This is not their main business. They are still a video game company. Companies have budgets, and their main budget is not amiibo. Grant it, we all wish they would make more and more, but that is not the case.
They'll get no sympathy from me. They wanted in on the toy business so they can take the criticism.

akileese

Mac and Dennis spend the entire episode trying to scalp off a shipment of 100 Peach Amiibos for 40 bucks each. Charlie somehow gets his hands on a bunch of Marths which he sells for dirt cheap because 'the faces freak him out'.

An episode of the gang trying to get Amiibos would be amazing. I want this to be happen now which means I'm disappointed.

Gartooth

Exactly. I think the panic here is a little high at the moment when we don't really know how this wave will do in stores. If you told me that Mega Man and Sonic would be commons a couple months ago, I would have laughed in your face. I think Pac-Man, Wario, and Charizard will be commons. Robin and Lucina is the questionable one right now.

If people missed out on the recent preorders, all hope is not lost. More preorders will open I highly expect, just like all other waves. These retailers have to play it safe right now with the preorders to avoid the debacle of earlier waves. So, TRU and Best Buy and Target are not being jerks, they are playing it smart and only allocating so many that they highly expect to fulfill. Better to only have so many available for preorder, then have more waves of cancellations right? Keep checking this thread to be on the look out for more preorders. They will come!

And let's get off Nintendo's case :) Producing amiibo is not a cheap process. On IGN's NVC podcast, they said it takes a good month of production to produce amiibo to satisfy retailers. Nintendo does not have unlimited funds to produce millions of amiibo to make everyone happy. This is not their main business. They are still a video game company. Companies have budgets, and their main budget is not amiibo. Grant it, we all wish they would make more and more, but that is not the case.

I think a lot of people would be fine if newer waves of Amiibo were pushed back for the sake of restocking rares/store exclusives. Nintendo pushing over 50 amiibo through store channels in a year is probably a huge reason why the stock situation is so terrible right now. After Wednesday's Nintendo Direct I had a feeling that they learned nothing from the launch of the first couple waves and wanted to get as many characters out while this was still a craze.

georly

Exactly. I think the panic here is a little high at the moment when we don't really know how this wave will do in stores. If you told me that Mega Man and Sonic would be commons a couple months ago, I would have laughed in your face. I think Pac-Man, Wario, and Charizard will be commons. Robin and Lucina is the questionable one right now.

If people missed out on the recent preorders, all hope is not lost. More preorders will open I highly expect, just like all other waves. These retailers have to play it safe right now with the preorders to avoid the debacle of earlier waves. So, TRU and Best Buy and Target are not being jerks, they are playing it smart and only allocating so many that they highly expect to fulfill. Better to only have so many available for preorder, then have more waves of cancellations right? Keep checking this thread to be on the look out for more preorders. They will come!

Yeah, i'm done refreshing, waiting in line, camping out. It's not worth it anymore. If nintendo decides to change their mind and make this a bit easier, I'll finish the set. If they don't, then I'm done. Nothing is worth this hassle, and I'm certainly not paying scalpers. And yes, I know, producing amiibo isn't quick or easy... but they're choosing to STOP production of ones that sell out, rather than try to keep making them so that people can buy them. My only hope now is that once all the waves are out, they start reprinting the hard to get ones.

I'm almost at TRU. Those that missed out on the site and can't go, I need to know what you want NOW.

I thought TRU wasn't doing anything in-store?

Einbroch

Banned

They have $5+ billion cash on hand and zero debt.

They can afford to pump out a few thousand more $2 Amiibos.

Jawmuncher

Huh? I'm not sure what you're saying. Even if no one wants them, it doesn't matter to what's being said. And I wager plenty of people will still want them, at least Charizard and the Pac.

Yeah I typed that really bad. Was more referring to the people giving up are more so bummed about exclusives or obvious rare ones. It's not really the same thing when "look Amiibo stock is good, there's so many Mario characters you can buy!" For example. Stock can be good but for certain consumers not the right stock, which can make all the difference thus j don't blame them.

Marcel

Corporate apologism at its least subtle.

still waiting for Amazon

I was able to import from Japan as backup but now even the stock in other countries have sold out because of demand.

He was up for pre-order on BB for 15 minutes but every time I tried to add it to the cart it gave me an error. :(

I should have pre-ordered him at GS when I had the chance.

CorvoSol

At this point I'd import except even places outside of America that would ship to America don't have anything to give me.

This is the worst Nintendo.

Crom

I'm almost at TRU. Those that missed out on the site and can't go, I need to know what you want NOW.

Greninja please!!!

Please let us know if they are doing instore preorders.

That way those of us in the Central and West time zones can know whether to make the trip or not. Thank you.

bigkurz

Banned
I've managed to break away from the obsession. I still want mario specific characters....hopefully not hard to find a wario. Would like a pacman but won't go crazy over it.

I'm a huge mario fan and a pediatrician, so I'd love a dr mario if that ever comes. And duck hunt dog for nostalgia. R.o.b. Too.

Jeezus it doesn't sound like I've broken away after all!

But definitely not completing a collection.

bumpkin

Nintendo really need to do something about this... It's a shame Club Nintendo is winding down. They could (should) make it so that registered Club members -- maybe even ONLY those with the compatible games registered -- are given the opportunity to preorder the new amiibo directly.

Geedorah

There isn't. Europe and Japan have stock issues too, just the US has more severe ones.

rea9z7g.jpg

I mean, the thread this image came from was called "Almost every store in my town (germany) looks like this. Heaven or Hell? My wallet is not sure at this point..."

skaflone721

Neo Member
Whoa, wtf happened with the standalone Mario at Target? Before it opened, each store showed about 12 on hand, with about 16 stores in the general area.

I was driving to work then I stopped by Target at 8:15 and they had two left. Figured they didn't put out the other 10 I saw in stock.

I just checked and all 16 stores are cleaned out. WTF. I guess people came in that 15 minutes and wiped them clean. Left me with the extremely bent ones too and figuring I'd exchange them later. Oh well.

Marcel

Nintendo really need to do something about this... It's a shame Club Nintendo is winding down. They could (should) make it so that registered Club members -- maybe even ONLY those with the compatible games registered -- are given the opportunity to preorder the new amiibo directly.

Hopefully you wouldn't have to login to Club Nintendo to do it because that site is fucked. For such a valuable and prominent company, they still have lots of online and real-world infrastructure problems.

DrForester

Kills Photobucket

Yeah no. NOA has screwed up. I was willing to give them the benefit of the doubt with the port strikes but it's clear that they are incapable of supplying the market. Stock shouldn't be out within 5 minutes or pre ordering.

And people still have the balls to say we are asking too much. Yeah, I don't agree with you apologists at all.

NoA knew they were going to have a major stock shortage, and yet they STILL limit their available units.

As a sales/marketing major, I understand the tactic, but this is exactly how you lose longterm customers.

Somnid

I mean, the thread this image came from was called "Almost every store in my town (germany) looks like this. Heaven or Hell? My wallet is not sure at this point..."

Hey there's probably some Walmart out in the boonies with Gold Marios. It really doesn't speak for the whole continent. That and the US already gets like 60%+ of all Amiibos produced and they've already committed to a few Japanese restocks.

shanafan

Yeah no. NOA has screwed up. I was willing to give them the benefit of the doubt with the port strikes but it's clear that they are either incapable of supplying the market.

Retailers stopped the first waves of preorders when they were filled. Nintendo had nothing to do with TRU and Target and Best Buy and GameStop turning off their preorders.

We have no idea how shelves will look when wave 5 hits.

No wonder Reggie wasn't in the direct at all....

The two probably are not related.

Mob

I have not seen an amiibo display like that in any shop in the UK.
Shop stock here mainly consists of the usual suspects, Peach, Luigi, Mario, Link, etc.

TRU, Game, Smyths, Tesco all have a huge section devoted to Skylanders, another huge section for Disney Infinity and a couple of pegs for amiibo in my experience.

Geedorah

Hey there's probably some Walmart out in the boonies with Gold Marios. It really doesn't speak for the whole continent. That and the US already gets like 60%+ of all Amiibos produced and they've already committed to a few Japanese restocks.

Show me the photos - if it is common enough in Euro/JPN that there are countless images to prove my point, please, by all means, back up your claim with some colloquial evidence. If you can show me some Lucarios still on a TRU shelf, I will eat my hat. Until then, nah.

Comet

Most of the European and Japanese online stores I have looked at are running thin on the rare amiibos. I have a feeling NA folk have leeched off of them as well.

NoA knew they were going to have a major stock shortage, and yet they STILL limit their available units.

As a sales/marketing major, I understand the tactic, but this is exactly how you lose longterm customers.

As for exclusives, I think Nintendo and retailers inked their backroom deals months and months ago when Amiibo was first revealed at e3.

Retailers stopped the first waves of preorders when they were filled. Nintendo had nothing to do with TRU and Target and Best Buy and GameStop turning off their preorders.

We have no idea how shelves will look when wave 5 hits.

The two probably are not related.

Sure they are, Reggie is in China hand painting Ness

Jawmuncher

Most of the European and Japanese online stores I have looked at are running thin on the rare amiibos. I have a feeling NA folk have leeched off of them as well.

This used to be a small group of purchasers through that way. But now it's pretty common place for collectors to just go straight there, especially if they don't care about packaging. I'd rather pay more just knowing their all ordered than to keep looking or staying up for pages to go up.

Whoa, wtf happened with the standalone Mario at Target? Before it opened, each store showed about 12 on hand, with about 16 stores in the general area.

I was driving to work then I stopped by Target at 8:15 and they had two left. Figured they didn't put out the other 10 I saw in stock.

I just checked and all 16 stores are cleaned out. WTF. I guess people came in that 15 minutes and wiped them clean. Left me with the extremely bent ones too and figuring I'd exchange them later. Oh well.

Can you please share the DPCI from your receipt?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom