• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Amiibo Thread 6 | We're up all night to get salty

Status
Not open for further replies.
Heavy heart reading this thread. I secured pre-orders for all of Wave 4, though still need to get Splatoon 3-Pack (I don't count this as Wave 4 since it's not SSB). I just wish everyone in this thread that wants a figure could get it. I happened to be very lucky and even though I set an alarm for 5 AM Mountain to get Greninja, I woke up out of nowhere at 1 AM and got one.

Nintendo really has botched this whole thing and it's a shame as I love their products and their characters.

Congrats, man. The odd hours are the main reason (besides money) I can't continue on trying to get the whole Smash line. Waking up randomly in the night with anxiety and being compelled to check my phone to see if anything went live just wasn't maintainable.

georly

Between, all of the hoops..

Crazy Pre-order situation
Retailer exclusives
Limited Stock
Scalpers
Mysterious release dates

I'm just about to the point of being done with trying to get them all.... not really feeling like importing the next wave...

despite really wanting to buy them... I've grown tired of the hunt..

anyone else in this boat?

Tons of us. Join us in team 'I Quit'.

I'll casually go into stores now. If they have what I want, I'll buy it, if they don't, I won't. Simple as that.

Zombine

Banned

Retailer exclusives
Limited Stock
Scalpers
Mysterious release dates

I'm just about to the point of being done with trying to get them all.... not really feeling like importing the next wave...

I'm right there with you. I'm going to subscribe to the notion that they aren't worth the hassle, and I'll get the commons I want. If I manage to get a rare I'll be happy, but I'm like whatever.

ShyMel

I was able to get Jigglypuff yesterday but I missed out on Robin, Lucina, and Greninja it looks like. Now I can slightly understand running out of Fire Emblem amiibos, but Pokemon amiibos should be plentiful. They're Pokemon for crying out loud, one of Nintendo's biggest money makers.

Nintendo/NOA sure has us Americans running around like idiots chasing these "exclusives" and pre orders for "rare/limited" amiibos. It makes me feel like a fool. Are there any other countries that have store exclusives like we do? I remember when we all got on this ride, several people from UK and Europe feeling badly for us and wanting to help out. I got sucked into this because my son wants FE amiibos. We still haven't scored any. Not going to look past those 3 amiibo and Gandorf. This is waaayyy to stressful for me.

O.v.e.rlord

Banned

Retailer exclusives
Limited Stock
Scalpers
Mysterious release dates

Importing might be just as hard now. I remember when wave 4 was up over at amazon.co.uk and it was only up for like 30 mins. The hunt is a tougher thing now, and yes it is tiring.

Slermy

Anyone else think that the Splatoon amiibos will be a huge rip-off?

As far as the amount of content you get out of them for the price. I can't see any games besides Splatoon itself using them for anything, and the content itself doesn't seem like it'll be worth $35 in the slightest.

I feel similarly about Toad after trying out the 'content' he unlocks in Captain Toad.

To be fair, I didn't think the Mega Man Amiibo would be used for anything outside of Smash Bros. and now he's going to unlock a costume in Mario Kart 8. So who knows what they'll do.

Also, as other posters have said, I think they look awesome.

kirby_fox

Banned

Retailer exclusives
Limited Stock
Scalpers
Mysterious release dates

Yep. I'm actively emailing the stores and Nintendo asking how someone is supposed to get this product when they have a normal sleep cycle, a regular job and no time to sit on a computer hitting F5 every 5 seconds.

I'm sure it'll do very little, but it sure makes me feel better. #MakeMoreAmiibo

You could say the same for the pokemon series amiibo. That being said, Nintendo can easily patch in some Splatoon costume for Mario Kart.

Not really the same. There's always going to be a Pokemon game on the horizon that could potentially use the Pokemon amiibo. If Splatoon is a flop, we will never see those characters again, and I just can't see Splatoon-related amiibo content being patched into Nintendo's other big games.

But yeah, the figures look fantastic and I'll be buying them, but when you view them as physical keys to on-disc DLC this is the worst deal we've gotten so far.

Two of my buddies are calling it quits. Selling the figures they don't care for and only getting ones they want. They don't feel the need for a complete set anymore.

I'm undecided. I might try to finish this wave and see how I feel. I just need Greninja and Jigglypuff but who knows if I'll be able to get those two.

If Nintendo won't meet demand we don't need to put up with it.

Skylanders was never this bad. And yes, I know, Nintendo characters are way more popular than Skylanders but when you couldn't find a rare Skylander you KNEW eventually they would get restock. And they did. This is so stressful. Good luck fellow Amiibros.

If it all comes down to it, i'll take a work vacation, fly my ass to Japan, and buy Greninja and Jigglypuff.

I don't really care about the content, I just like how they look.

Agreed. Amiibos for me are a collection first and content second. I mean, Amiibos are really a way to get quality figures of somewhat obscure characters, which is something we in America would usually have to look to importing to accomplish.

Velinos

Robin and Lucina better not be rare. Amiibo that unlock content should be common if Nintendo has any common sense. They should see that decent size group of consumers only collect those.

ChaosXVI

I'm totally fine ordering overseas if I can get a good price on shipping, thats why if I can't get any Wave 4 amiibos (I've got 1 out of all of them...but its NESS!) I'll just get them all at once and order them international and yeah shipping will be expensive...but the convenience of not running all over hell or F5ing repeatedly pays for itself.

Vuapol

A number of TRU employees in-store are saying there won't be in-store pre-orders - online wiped them all out.
Really? Dammit. I'm going to be near Toys R Us today on separate business, so I think I'm gonna stop in anyway. Judging by what I've seen in this thread, my GameStop seemed to be one of the few where you could just waltz in hours after 3 PM and get Ness with no issues. Hopefully my Toys R Us will be the same with Greninja.
I'm not counting on it. Dammit, this is Lucario all over again.

georly

Two of my buddies are calling it quits. Selling the figures they don't care for and only getting ones they want. They don't feel the need for a complete set anymore.

I'm undecided. I might try to finish this wave and see how I feel. I just need Greninja and Jigglypuff but who knows if I'll be able to get those two.

If Nintendo won't meet demand we don't need to put up with it.

Skylanders was never this bad. And yes, I know, Nintendo characters are way more popular than Skylanders but when you couldn't find a rare Skylander you KNEW eventually they would get restock. And they did. This is so stressful. Good luck fellow Amiibros.

So many people expressing this sentiment today. I wonder what the actual percent of quitters is. I can only hope it's large enough for scalpers to stop.

The real solution, albeit unfeasible, is unlimited preorders, then manufacture based on preorders, then release/ship 6+ months later.

All I want now is ganondorf. ZSS would be a nice bonus, but I'm not hopeful.

crimnos

I take some comfort in reading the torrent of abuse that NOA gets on Twitter anytime they post...well, anything. At least the people who don't cross some line in doing so.

qqebY46.png

Ayyyy

I'm in it for a full Smash line. Everything else I only go at leisurely or not at all.

You say that like it'll make it any easier for you. The Smash line seems like the one Nintendo is intentionally making the hardest to get. I honestly don't think it will be that hard to get most of the other ones.

Zombine

Banned
The only Amiibo I have ever kept in its box is the Gold Mario one, and it's because it looks really sharp with that Gold stamp in the upper right hand corner.

You better believe I tore into Villager's box with a greater ferocity than finding out I got an N64 for Christmas.

skaflone721

Neo Member

Retailer exclusives
Limited Stock
Scalpers
Mysterious release dates

I feel you man. I'm just not feeling it after yesterday anymore. It was a very chaotic, and the stuff I actually wanted I was not able to get.

We've reached that point where almost anything will be bought up, no matter the rarity.

Nintendo is burning bridges with their longest fans and that's not good for their longterm.

Draxal

Really? Dammit. I'm going to be near Toys R Us today on separate business, so I think I'm gonna stop in anyway. Judging by what I've seen in this thread, my GameStop seemed to be one of the few where you could just waltz in hours after 3 PM and get Ness with no issues. Hopefully my Toys R Us will be the same with Greninja.
I'm not counting on it. Dammit, this is Lucario all over again.

TRU employees don't know jack shit usually. Gamestop employees are much more informed as it's their core business.

Rocky

Banned
If it all comes down to it, i'll take a work vacation, fly my ass to Japan, and buy Greninja and Jigglypuff.

I don't really care about the content, I just like how they look.

You may as well buy from a scalper, it'll be much cheaper than spending $1000 on a trip to Japan just to get a $12 toy.

Exile20

Anyone else think that the Splatoon amiibos will be a huge rip-off?

As far as the amount of content you get out of them for the price. I can't see any games besides Splatoon itself using them for anything, and the content itself doesn't seem like it'll be worth $35 in the slightest.

I feel similarly about Toad after trying out the 'content' he unlocks in Captain Toad.

Who cares? They look awesome.

By your standard Smash amiibos are the biggest rip off. All you get is an AI for more of them.

Anyway...

mjc

Robin and Lucina better not be rare. Amiibo that unlock content should be common if Nintendo has any common sense. They should see that decent size group of consumers only collect those.

I'm going to assume that most of the future waves will be rare.

Nori Chan

Got some emails that my order of lucina robin and greninja were suspended because my card didn't go through?

um ok ill call customer service then

Tanukid

Well at least TRU won't be getting anymore exclusives since all the Pokemon types in Smash are don...oh wait...Mewtwo...

;___;

The Finest Brew

Neo Member
Well, I've pulled all nighters before for no reason. Whose to say I can't just skip potential naps just incase I finally get Robin and Lucina?

...Someone please stop me, my life is spiraling out of control. @.@

Thoraxes

You say that like it'll make it any easier for you. The Smash line seems like the one Nintendo is intentionally making the hardest to get. I honestly don't think it will be that hard to get most of the other ones.

I'm solving my minor hiccups with money basically. The only real issues i've had were with Lucario and Metaknight, both of which I just imported instead.

Everything else I got legit from stores/online orders.
You may as well buy from a scalper, it'll be much cheaper than spending $1000 on a trip to Japan just to get a $12 toy.

I've been wanting to go on vacation there for a couple years now!

CorvoSol

I'm solving my minor hiccups with money basically. The only real issues i've had were with Lucario and Metaknight, both of which I just imported instead.

Everything else I got legit from stores/online orders.

Is there anywhere left one can import amiibos from?

dukie85

I can only imagine the shitstorm that will take place for Lucas... if Ness was this bad, and with the way ppl are ALWAYS asking about Mother 3... hoooo boy.

Regiruler

Have the inklings shown up at walmart/target/bb/TRU yet? It's the one amiibo consistently absent, making me think it's being handled slightly differently than wave 4.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom