• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Amiibo Thread 6 | We're up all night to get salty

Status
Not open for further replies.

-Horizon-

f6Hxn.jpg

VinFTW

If my order goes through as intended I will have two. I only want one to keep and would happily take 40 for the other. I'm just worried about toys r us being toys r us.

Okay, I will PM you :)

This will be my fiances 4 year anniversary gift, and then I'm out... for real this time...

who am I kidding, when your woman wants stuff you're never out

HUELEN10

Good news: apparently, my TRU got cards!

Bad news: they are allegedly not allowed to use them due to trying to fulfill inline orders, at least that is what the manager said. He says he talked to someone from corporate, saying not to do cards because they might just have oversold online.

So to those that "got him" online, nothing is guaranteed TRU-wise...

I don't even give two shits about the amiibo craze. Sure I get them for my kids, but they treat em like shit. I just get the ones that look cool for my desk, just like I do for Infinity and sadly I won't be getting Charizard. Always like that one particular pokemon.

The crazy thing is now that most are 1 per person, usually these rare ones sell for like $50 at most. $40 on avg maybe? $25 to refresh all day long and then list it so Paypal & ebay fees, that's a damn lot of hassel for ~$20.

(Obviously if you're able to get more in 1 go but seems near impossible how it is right now).

they are a problem as far as I'm concerned. Missed your chance at Ness because they sold out fast or too damn early in the morning? No problem, there are several other retailers to try your luck at .Exclusives tie everything down to one company so how they handle things determines whether people will ultimately get one or not opposed to having chances elsewhere.

Sure if demand is low and amiibo are plentiful it might work, but it's like Nintendo can't figure out amiibo while I can do it just fine. Saw this coming a mile away.

I agree they are a problem as well but they are just another symptom of the greater stock problem that is happening here. If amiibos were staying in-stock with the exceptions of Ness/Greninja/etc., it'd be one thing. That isn't the case though. Robin and Lucina (we knew they'd go first, just like Palutena and ZSS will go quicky because waifus) are getting absolutely decimated out of the gate. All of them are. There are NO common amiibos in this wave as of right now. Everything is being treated like a fucking Marth/WFT/Villager. It's outrageous. Unless they are specifically holding back bulk of their projected stock to actually STOCK shelves this go around, I don't know what these stores are going to do with their displays. Just keep restocking fucking Mario?

Bad news: they are allegedly not allowed to use them due to trying to fulfill inline orders, at least that is what the manager said. He says he talked to someone from corporate, saying not to do cards because they might just have oversold online.

Nintendo totally knows what they are doing guys!

-Horizon-

fun fun FUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUU

Comet

Damn, sucks for those that thought they could get something in the store.

Regiruler

Were there cards for the inklings?

I respectfully disagree. It's fine that they decided to limit it to one per customer, but there were a few major gaffes in that their twitter explicitly promised online sales only to have that option pulled with no notification to the public (the most I saw was some rumor about it not being available online any longer) and that a lot of us just can't take time off of work with less than a day's notice.

As for the online issue, Amazon seems to manage just fine, and as I understand it, Gamestop does way more video game volume.

I mean, I can afford to import/pay a scalper (begrudgingly), so I'm not that upset about the whole thing, but you have to admit this was handled poorly. Even that email that was posted above pretty much admits it, albeit internally.
I'm not going to say it was perfect and they screwed up, but even if the website worked perfectly and the orders go up, given the allocation they would have sold out in a few minutes. So I guess that would have been better so everyone could be disappointed after 3 minutes that they were sold out? Because the odds of getting one when everyone knew the exact time they went up would still be very slim (albeit admittedly giving the working people a ghost of a chance. The root of the issue is the allocation. I completely understand the frustration at the retailers, but this issue could be remedied by better supply or even at the least some assurance from Nintendo that they will restock a bit down the line. They have completely misjudged demand and have left their customers out to dry on this, just making scalpers money.

kirby_fox

Banned
The more I sit here, the more I don't want to be a part of this.

I was able to avoid the frustration for Wave 1 mostly. Spent way more than I should have to import Villager & Marth. Happened to stumble into the right Walmart that had 6 WFTs sitting on the shelf around the time rumor had that it was rare. Ordered Wave 2 late, ordered wave 3 twice.

The fact I can't even order ANY of wave 4 right now is fucking ridiculous.

Lucky you. My girl is a huge LoZ fan. She'll want AT LEAST 2 more in wave 5.
Mine is a huge Fire Emblem fan, so nabbing the FE people this wave saved me so much.

Good luck, man.

We love Nintendo more than they like us.

If I didn't grow up with Nintendo since the NES, I'd say fuck them forever. This low supply bullshit happens way to much to be a competent company.
Yeah, I feel you. Amiibos were a nice idea and I guess I'll speak for everyone when I say that I did not anticipate this madness when they were announced.

No apparently, just Smash; trust me, our animated group asked.

Honesty, some people were acting irrationally mad. Some were acting legitimately mad as well though...
So the Inkling Amiibo seems to be Amazon and Gamestop exclusive.

If I didn't grow up with Nintendo since the NES, I'd say fuck them forever. This low supply bullshit happens way to much to be a competent company.
Definitely in the case of North America. Where is our Splatoon and Yoshi CE + regular new 3DS?

I'll admit, Nintendo has definitely lost a lot of credibility from me in recent years. It is simply unacceptable business practices.

skaflone721

Neo Member
I wonder if emailing the Nintendo CEO and other executives complaing that this is really getting out of hand would accomplish anything. I mean, if a a few thousand people between here, reddit and CAG, started blowing up their inbox, they'd get the message quick.

Instead of whatever wackass method they use to research all of this.

VinFTW

Mine is a huge Fire Emblem fan, so nabbing the FE people this wave saved me so much.

Good luck, man.

Yeah, I feel you. Amiibos were a nice idea and I guess I'll speak for everyone when I say that I did not anticipate this madness when they were announced.

oh my god, that's awesome!

Especially considering how rare/fast they went. Grats :p

She wanted 'em too, but is okay with perhaps waiting to see if a restock happens during the new FE release.

Goodluck to you too :)

Einbroch

Banned
they are a problem as far as I'm concerned. Missed your chance at Ness because they sold out fast or too damn early in the morning? No problem, there are several other retailers to try your luck at .Exclusives tie everything down to one company so how they handle things determines whether people will ultimately get one or not opposed to having chances elsewhere.

Sure if demand is low and amiibo are plentiful it might work, but it's like Nintendo can't figure out amiibo while I can do it just fine. Saw this coming a mile away.

Which is exactly why I said "if done right".

Target had an exclusive Taylor Swift CD. They had a lot of stock, so no issues at all. Retailer exclusives are not the problem. In this case, sure, but simply stating "wow retailer exclusives are the reason this is a shitstorm" is completely missing the point. If Nintendo got its act together and supplied these retailers there would be absolutely zero issues. However, if Ness wasn't a retailer exclusive, and stock was the same, you'd still run into issues.

O.v.e.rlord

Banned
The more I sit here, the more I don't want to be a part of this.

I was able to avoid the frustration for Wave 1 mostly. Spent way more than I should have to import Villager & Marth. Happened to stumble into the right Walmart that had 6 WFTs sitting on the shelf around the time rumor had that it was rare. Ordered Wave 2 late, ordered wave 3 twice.

The fact I can't even order ANY of wave 4 right now is fucking ridiculous.

Still hope for Walmart and Amazon.

I have applied for multiple jobs with NOA. thought it would be cool with my new international business degree. Seems they could use some forecasting and supply analysis help. Hell they could use some PR and customer goodwill help too. They never reply. oh well its really expensive in NorCal and Washington state anyways. I could help!

May I summarize the past 24 hours and you tell me if I'm right?

Target:
Jigglypuff pre-orders.

Gamestop:
All Wave 4 pre-orders.
Ness pre-orders
Splatoon pre-orders

Best Buy
All Wave 4 pre-orders

Toys R Us
All Wave 4 pre-orders
Greninja pre-orders

WalMart
Nothing

Amazon
Wave 4 and Splatoon placeholders

(edited for accuracy based on others posts)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom