• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Amiibo Thread 6 | We're up all night to get salty

Status
Not open for further replies.

GuardianE

Santa May Claus
May I summarize the past 24 hours and you tell me if I'm right?

Target:
Jigglypuff pre-orders.

Gamestop:
All Wave 4 pre-orders.
Ness pre-orders
Splatoon pre-orders

Toys R Us
Greninja pre-orders

WalMart
Nothing

Amazon
Wave 4 and Splatoon placeholders

Isn't TRU sold out of all Wave 4 at this point?

rjinaz

Which is exactly why I said "if done right".

Target had an exclusive Taylor Swift CD. They had a lot of stock, so no issues at all. Retailer exclusives are not the problem. In this case, sure, but simply stating "wow retailer exclusives are the reason this is a shitstorm" is completely missing the point. If Nintendo got its act together and supplied these retailers there would be absolutely zero issues. However, if Ness wasn't a retailer exclusive, and stock was the same, you'd still run into issues.

I feel like we're arguing semantics. Ok sure I'll grant you "exclusives" as a practice is not the problem, but the problem is exclusives with amiibo. Nintendo has history with amiibo and exclusives, they should have known better. Hence I have no problem saying exclusives are the problem, as when i say it I am referring to their use with amiibo.

crimnos

I'm not going to say it was perfect and they screwed up, but even if the website worked perfectly and the orders go up, given the allocation they would have sold out in a few minutes. So I guess that would have been better so everyone could be disappointed after 3 minutes that they were sold out? Because the odds of getting one when everyone knew the exact time they went up would still be very slim (albeit admittedly giving the working people a ghost of a chance. The root of the issue is the allocation. I completely understand the frustration at the retailers, but this issue could be remedied by better supply or even at the least some assurance from Nintendo that they will restock a bit down the line. They have completely misjudged demand and have left their customers out to dry on this, just making scalpers money.

Yeah, I do agree with you on the root of the whole problem. I'm stunned that this wave wasn't an improvement. I suspect there's a much stronger demand this time, but there ARE ways to predict demand growth, my company does it all the time.

O.v.e.rlord

Banned

Target:
Jigglypuff pre-orders.

Gamestop:
All Wave 4 pre-orders.
Ness pre-orders
Splatoon pre-orders

Toys R Us
Greninja pre-orders

WalMart
Nothing

Amazon

TRU had every one that wasn't exclusive up unfortunately.

GAMERG0D

Target:
Jigglypuff pre-orders.

Gamestop:
All Wave 4 pre-orders.
Ness pre-orders
Splatoon pre-orders

Toys R Us
Greninja pre-orders

WalMart
Nothing

Amazon
That's correct. I've been F5'ing everyone but GameStop for 6 hours now. Oh and yeah TRU is probably out of Wave 4 at least for the time being.

Zombine

Banned

Target:
Jigglypuff pre-orders.

Gamestop:
All Wave 4 pre-orders.
Ness pre-orders
Splatoon pre-orders

Toys R Us
Greninja pre-orders

WalMart
Nothing

Amazon

Best Buy
Wave 4 Sans Exclusives/Splatoon

I want to play a newsground game where you can throw amiibos at Bill Trinen's/Reggie's/Iwata's faces.

It should actually be a game where your character is constantly throwing money at them, and once every hour, they throw an amiibo down at lightning fast speed and you have to try to catch it when they do.

It's not Nintendo as much as its NOA.

I'm referring to NOA but honestly, Nintendo as a whole needs to recognize this as a problem. Their headquarters needs to look at the ineptitude of the NOA branch and realize this is costing them credibility, customers and trustworthiness.

Yeah, there's a lot of us that are sticking around like beaten spouses but there are also a lot that are simply walking away from wanting these things. This is April. We can no longer excuse them for "Oh maybe it was the Christmas rush, Wave 3 and 4 will be better". As I mentioned in a previous post, things have just gotten worse. There are NO common amiibos in the coming wave at this time. We have yet to see what the in-store supply will be like but with reports that TRU and Gamestop are literally selling out their entire stock in pre-orders, I am having doubts we'll see ANY on shelves.

Store exclusive or not, that isn't the issue. The issue is Nintendo is purposely forcing specific amiibos to be rare and it's causing all of these issues. They're freaking pieces of plastic. You didn't see hasbro having issues pushing GIJoes or Transformers that were store exclusive's when they did it, or any one else to that matter.

There's no reason why Nintendo simply can't crank up production and make more. No, instead they tell su that after several weeks or months that they are discontinuing the figure and if you didn't get one, well too bad.

This is all on Nintendo's head and nothing can be done about it.

What also bothers me is the fact that there are tons of amiibos on Ebay and while I understand the capitalism game, I still find that it's a slap in the face for collectors and fans of Nintendo.

word has it that ness was very limited compared to shulk because a large batch had bad paint jobs.

reggie_by_sorceror12-d8o80ry.png

Einbroch

Banned
I feel like we're arguing semantics. Ok sure I'll grant you "exclusives" as a practice is not the problem, but the problem is exclusives with amiibo. Nintendo has history with amiibo and exclusives, they should have known better. Hence I have no problem saying exclusives are the problem, as when i say it I am referring to their use with amiibo.

I completely agree.

Went to TRU before opening, was a few other guys already waiting in the rain. About 30 minutes before it opened a guy came out and asked us why we were there and informed us that they had no cards for preorders. :c

mjc

I think it's safe to assume that Amazon will put wave 4 up at the top of a random hour, but there's no guarantee it'll be today. Might not even be soon.

If there was a plentiful Amiibo stock I have a feeling no one would care about them. Everyone keeps saying things like "Nintendo doesn't know what their doing" when they know exactly what their doing. Sure, it sucks that there are so many folks that cannot to get the Amiibo they want. But look at how much the craze has grown over the past few months. There are hundreds of people in this thread that wouldn't care about Amiibo if it weren't for the hunt.

crimnos

The more I sit here, the more I don't want to be a part of this.

I was able to avoid the frustration for Wave 1 mostly. Spent way more than I should have to import Villager & Marth. Happened to stumble into the right Walmart that had 6 WFTs sitting on the shelf around the time rumor had that it was rare. Ordered Wave 2 late, ordered wave 3 twice.

The fact I can't even order ANY of wave 4 right now is fucking ridiculous.

Wave 1 was so nice. Amazon even had release-day delivery. We might not be able to go back to that, but boy do I miss it.

kirby_fox

Banned
Still hope for Walmart and Amazon.

The only hope I have is ebay getting an exclusive amiibo in return for banning all other amiibo sales in order to put a huge dent into the scalper market- because I guarantee that's the reason it's selling at in 30 minutes at 3 AM.

Yeah, I do agree with you on the root of the whole problem. I'm stunned that this wave wasn't an improvement. I suspect there's a much stronger demand this time, but there ARE ways to predict demand growth, my company does it all the time.
This, so much this.

Amiibos are still relatively new to the market but they have been out long enough for Nintendo to gauge the market or at least know that their supplying practices aren't all too good for us buyers.

Zombine

Banned
The only hope I have is ebay getting an exclusive amiibo in return for banning all other amiibo sales in order to put a huge dent into the scalper market- because I guarantee that's the reason it's selling at in 30 minutes at 3 AM.

But what do they use? Programs? Staff? Family?

Isn't TRU sold out of all Wave 4 at this point?

TRU had every one that wasn't exclusive up unfortunately.

That's correct. I've been F5'ing everyone but GameStop for 6 hours now. Oh and yeah TRU is probably out of Wave 4 at least for the time being.

Best Buy
Wave 4 Sans Exclusives/Splatoon

Ah. Yes. I edited my original post to account for these things. Just want to keep track.

dallow_bg

nods at old men
If there was a plentiful Amiibo stock I have a feeling no one would care about them. Everyone keeps saying things like "Nintendo doesn't know what their doing" when they know exactly what their doing. Sure, it sucks that there are so many folks that cannot to get the Amiibo they want. But look at how much the craze has grown over the past few months. There are hundreds of people in this thread that wouldn't care about Amiibo if it weren't for the hunt.

The number of people who are "in it for the hunt" are way way WAY overshadowed by the amount of regular kids and parents who are just trying to get their kids a toy. They have no chance.

mjc

Ehhhh, I don't think so. Collectors of toys, (which is what these really are) collect regardless of rarity or the hunt. Plus kids and regular fans want these things. I'm not in it to collect the whole run myself, just random characters.

The hunt is an added aspect for sure, but the point of collecting is to actually get your hands on them. In this case, that's not even happening. It's intentionally restricted supplies to either drum up interest or because they're afraid of over-producing. (Which at this point is not likely)

Toki767

This, so much this.

Amiibos are still relatively new to the market but they have been out long enough for Nintendo to gauge the market or at least know that their supplying practices aren't all too good for us buyers.

I'm of the belief that future Smash waves are going to get worse, not better as Nintendo of America are just going to consider the later characters too obscure to possibly be popular. Because that's how Nintendo of America thinks.

The number of people who are "in it for the hunt" are way way WAY overshadowed by the amount of regular kids and parents who are just trying to get their kids a toy. They have no chance.
Then they will buy Disney Infinity figures instead.
Honestly I do not get their logic...

This, so much this.

Ex-fucking-actly.

That's what I'm saying. We showed them in Wave fucking TWO that the supply is not meeting the demand. We SHOWED them definitive data that we needed more amiibos in production and they have just shirked the whole thing. It makes me absolutely livid to think that anyone could possibly say that they didn't have enough time or readiness to predict the demand. It's fucking April.

Davey Cakes

word has it that ness was very limited compared to shulk because a large batch had bad paint jobs.

reggie_by_sorceror12-d8o80ry.png
Joke or not, I wouldn't be surprised.

Not long ago I figured I'd be able to just go to Amazon or any online retailer and click "buy now" and be done with it. But no. First, Ness becomes exclusive to Gamestop. Then, he unpredictably becomes web in-store only. A high limitation due to manufacturing issues would only be shit icing on a shit cake.

If there was a plentiful amiibo stock, people would still care about them. Nintendo's making a killing off of these with short stock...could you imagine what they would make with more units out there?

The only thing that would happen if they were more readily available is that scalpers would not make as great a profit as they are currently making. They would only get action from uninformed buyers.

In my case, you are completely wrong. I am not in this "for the hunt". I am in it, because I want the figures, and in the case of some games, I want their functionality. I had to get Ness because this is like the first official merchandise for EarthBound in the US...in forever, and it's one of my favorite games ever.

I want Lucina because I want to use it for code name Steam, and because I loved FE awakening. I may be a gaf user, but I am just one of those fans who wants to buy fucking nintendo figures. The fact that I can't even do that without stressing out about preorders, and what time something might go live is bull shit.

Even when I do that shit right, it doesn't work. I was first in line at gamestop yesterday, and while in the middle of my transaction after waiting 1 hour before 2, and another hour for the registers to work...Robin and Lucina sold out before I could even pay for them. It's completely horse shit.

See I don't know. I waited in line at Gamestop yesterday for Ness and the others. The line had 12 college-Middle aged men in it buying them for themselves. There were dozens of mom's and kids asking what the line was for the 2 1/2 hours I was there. Most had never even heard of Amiibo. This morning at TRU was the same. There were 3 kids standing behind me in line who never heard of Amiibo. They were there to spend their Easter money on Skylanders with the deal they have going on now.

O.v.e.rlord

Banned

Well there's also the option of importing. Amazon international has yet to put anyone else like Gerninja and Jigglypuff.

goldenpp72

Villager, Wii fit trainer and Marth were obtainable on store shelves for basically a month around here. It wasn't until those sold out forever that suddenly people from all over decided they just need to have them all. I preordered every amiibo well before they became scarce and other people have made it a nightmare for the few who actually cared to start. Like it or not, the limited supply makes people's nuts and nintendo loves it I'm sure.

GAMERG0D

http://m.ign.com/articles/2015/04/02/jigglypuff-amiibo-will-be-exclusive-to-target

UPDATE: A spokesperson for Target reached out to IGN to clarify that the Jigglypuff amiibo, while being a Target exclusive, will be available both online and in Target stores on May 29. Pre-orders went up yesterday and quickly sold out. We reported erroneously that the amiibo was online-only in the original article below, but the item will still be available on release day at both Target stores and online.

Jigglypuff going to be instores on May 29th.

NateDrake

The children/parents are the real victims of the shortage. The only reason people want WFT is because she is rare or to complete a collection. No one wants the character because they genuinely love the character or the franchise she represents. The fact a kid can't buy Captain or whoever is sad.

Somnid

But that's still not the real problem. WFT is harder to find than Shulk, Rosalina or Metaknight. And almost certainly more than anything in wave 4. The general argument about exclusives is mostly just misidentification. Yes, it's hard to get to certain retailers but every single one of these retailers sells online with free shipping. That's exactly why it's okay to do it in the US and not elsewhere. The problem is low stock for some characters, which stems from unprecedented demand and what's likely a complicated manufacturing process that needs to switch off between 50 figures and requires steps like hand painting. They aren't even close to meeting demand and so it'll be hard to get Amiibo in general.

LiK

from the way preorders are ending up, it seems Nintendo only ordered a certain amount before they even sold the stock to retailers. they're not allocating stock based on preorders at all. they're not making as much as orders are coming in. correct me if i'm wrong cuz i'm judging this based on my own experience of years of preordering limited figures.

Just got done with Toys R Us customer service. My order didn't go through last night for Lucina and Robin. Customer service rep says they don't know when they'll get anymore in stock, but it can change anytime. I'm done ordering for their site. Amazon seems like my last hope, because I don't see Target or Wal-Mart being any better.

Zombine

Banned
The children/parents are the real victims of the shortage. The only reason people want WFT is because she is rare or to complete a collection. No one wants the character because they genuinely love the character or the franchise she represents. The fact a kid can't buy Captain or whoever is sad.

Sorry Nate, but I genuinely love the Smash version of the character and I specifically preordered her because she's cool. I do agree that kids are the ones who are really losing out though.

Toki767

from the way preorders are ending up, it seems Nintendo only ordered a certain amount before they even sold the stock to retailers. they're not allocating stock based on preorders at all. they're not making as much as orders are coming in. correct me if i'm wrong cuz i'm judging this based on my own experience of years of preordering limited figures.

Yeah. According to The Shogun they're informing retailers how much they're giving and that's basically it.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom