• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Amiibo Thread 6 | We're up all night to get salty

Status
Not open for further replies.

HUELEN10

GUYS: Amazon (at least Canadian Amazon) has imposed a strict limit of ONE Amiibo per SKU per account.

Is this a good thing or a bad thing?

Darryl

Banned
If there was a plentiful Amiibo stock I have a feeling no one would care about them. Everyone keeps saying things like "Nintendo doesn't know what their doing" when they know exactly what their doing. Sure, it sucks that there are so many folks that cannot to get the Amiibo they want. But look at how much the craze has grown over the past few months. There are hundreds of people in this thread that wouldn't care about Amiibo if it weren't for the hunt.

Yea I don't think so either. Nintendo isn't even new to this supply restriction. They are like world leaders. This is what they do best.

DryvBy

I think someone recommended this and I'm gonna say it again. Why can't they just do this: "Day X, pre-order the amiibo(s) you want on this week. We'll order those amounts."

It would solve so many issues... shortages, exclusive complaints, etc..

Reading how extremely angry and pissed off people get over not getting small toys is super funny.

Toys that are basically limited edition DLC for their games too.

Crom

GUYS: Amazon (at least Canadian Amazon) has imposed a strict limit of ONE Amiibo per SKU per account.

Is this a good thing or a bad thing?

Good. I would prefer 2 per person but I understand a limit of 1 and think it is a good thing. It is way better than there not being any limits

harSon

Banned
If there was a plentiful amiibo stock, people would still care about them. Nintendo's making a killing off of these with short stock...could you imagine what they would make with more units out there?

The only thing that would happen if they were more readily available is that scalpers would not make as great a profit as they are currently making. They would only get action from uninformed buyers.

I posted this in the other thread:

They seem to be going with the Mondo Print method (limited one time runs, making each piece a desired collectible - as opposed to a product). As much as it sucks, it sort of makes sense from a business standpoint - at least in terms of prolonging demand. It's hard to say whether Nintendo would sell more having limitless stock of each SKU, running the risk of people growing tired of the product, or artificially creating demand by having limited runs - making each SKU release an "event."

It has worked for Mondo and other artists/art galleries of that sort - so maybe it'll work for Nintendo too? It definitely weeds out those who aren't hardcore and 100% dedicated to their craft, but as far as preserving the long term health of the venture, it might not be a terrible idea.

If there was a plentiful Amiibo stock I have a feeling no one would care about them. Everyone keeps saying things like "Nintendo doesn't know what their doing" when they know exactly what their doing. Sure, it sucks that there are so many folks that cannot to get the Amiibo they want. But look at how much the craze has grown over the past few months. There are hundreds of people in this thread that wouldn't care about Amiibo if it weren't for the hunt.

Yes, yes, that would all make sense if they provided more stock to actually make cash on the hype. Unless you think Nintendo is limiting stock to make scalpers rich with no benifit to themselves.

If Target actually sells the whole wave in addition to Jiggly, that might be a lot of folks last chance to get them if they missed out on pre-orders. When I waited for Rosalina I showed up three hours before opening; others started to arrive an hour later. The way things are now, I wouldn't be surprised to see people actually camping out all night for them this time. I don't know if I wanna do that, even with how much I want Lucina, Robin, and Wario. Also May 29th is a work day, and I don't get paid time off, so it would effectively be the same thing for me to just buy from a scalper because I'd be losing money either way.

Fox Mulder

NoA's lost points from me ever since the low stock of the Gamecube Adapters... I still have family members without it. There are alternatives, but still.

NoA has been shit well before this generation.

NA is the company's largest market, but NoA is so fucking cheap and stingy. They throw a meme PR machine like Reggie out and people eat it up though.

georly

They seem to be going with the Mondo Print method (limited one time runs, making each piece a desired collectible - as opposed to a product). As much as it sucks, it sort of makes sense from a business standpoint - at least in terms of prolonging demand. It's hard to say whether Nintendo would sell more having limitless stock of each SKU, running the risk of people growing tired of the product, or artificially creating demand by having limited runs - making each SKU release an "event."

It has worked for Mondo and other artists/art galleries of that sort - so maybe it'll work for Nintendo too? It definitely weeds out those who aren't hardcore and 100% dedicated to their craft, but as far as preserving the long term health of the venture, it might not be a terrible idea.

Yeah, i've accepted that short-term making enough for everyone is good, but the craze makes it work longterm. The REAL downside is... there is actual game content that is locked behind amiibo. It makes me never want to buy code name steam because I won't ever be able to use robin/lucina. I'll be getting an incomplete game. It can backfire in the sense that it may be hurting game sales to a degree.

GuardianE

Santa May Claus
Yeah, i've accepted that short-term making enough for everyone is good, but the craze makes it work longterm. The REAL downside is... there is actual game content that is locked behind amiibo. It makes me never want to buy code name steam because I won't ever be able to use robin/lucina. I'll be getting an incomplete game.

You could argue that the money they're making off of Amiibos is what is ultimately funding and greenlighting this additional content... and without Amiibos you wouldn't have that content at all.

This is almost certainly true of all third party inclusions, like Mega Man, Pac-Man, or Sonic content in Mario Kart.

mjc

Yeah, i've accepted that short-term making enough for everyone is good, but the craze makes it work longterm. The REAL downside is... there is actual game content that is locked behind amiibo. It makes me never want to buy code name steam because I won't ever be able to use robin/lucina. I'll be getting an incomplete game. It can backfire in the sense that it may be hurting game sales to a degree.

Well, the FE characters are just extra characters. The game is totally complete without them. They're like the horror movie characters that serve as DLC in MK games as of late.

rjinaz

But that's still not the real problem. WFT is harder to find than Shulk, Rosalina or Metaknight. And almost certainly more than anything in wave 4. The general argument about exclusives is mostly just misidentification. Yes, it's hard to get to certain retailers but every single one of these retailers sells online with free shipping. That's exactly why it's okay to do it in the US and not elsewhere. The problem is low stock for some characters, which stems from unprecedented demand and what's likely a complicated manufacturing process that needs to switch off between 50 figures and requires steps like hand painting. They aren't even close to meeting demand and so it'll be hard to get Amiibo in general.

Hard is not impossible. I had no problem getting wave 3 since they were available more or less for days or weeks for preorder. Even some of the exclusives were not hard to get but others like Lucario and Rosalina were.

Ness was impossible online and Greninja was impossible if you weren't up at 1am in the morning. if neither were exclusive I would have had at least a chance. I'm curious how you know the inner working of the Nintendo amiibo process to say so confidently how difficult it is to make these and predict demand. It just seems like your stance is to defend the company regardless of what happens. Is there really no leeway that they are to blame at all?

O.v.e.rlord

Banned
The situation we are currently in:

Ssbduqs.jpg

Is that us? Or the scalpers we are fighting?

Einbroch

Banned

I was going to make the Mondo comparison but didn't think anyone would know what I was talking about.

D

Deleted member 20415

Unconfirmed Member
At this point, I wish there was an order on demand service. Nintendo takes orders, I would pay a premium $20 for each figure I want, and I'm willing to wait 6 months until they're made and shipped from China...

Sponge

Banned

NA is the company's largest market, but NoA is so fucking cheap and stingy. They throw a meme PR machine like Reggie and people eat it up though.

I really miss the old NoA. I remember back when Ken Lobb and Howard Lincoln were still around. Those were the good days.

MK_768

NA is the company's largest market, but NoA is so fucking cheap and stingy. They throw a meme PR machine like Reggie and people eat it up though.

I'll never forget the launch of Fire Emblem Awakening. This was when Nintendo just started jumping into digital and it was nowhere to be found in stores. After 3 days, my friends and I were basically like, "Screw it, lets just download it."

Yes, yes, that would all make sense if they provided more stock to actually make cash on the hype. Unless you think Nintendo is limiting stock to make scalpers rich with no benifit to themselves.

The only reason there is hype is because there were limited figures and wave 1. I saw plenty of wii fit trainers, villagers, and marths available for days after the first wave launched. Once people learned that certain figures were going to be released in a limited capacity, the craze began.

tier1dc

At this point, I wish there was an order on demand service. Nintendo takes orders, I would pay a premium $20 for each figure I want, and I'm willing to wait 6 months until they're made and shipped from China...

That's great. Just keep giving them more ways to screw up the supply chain.

Yikes.

Zombine

Banned
Well, the FE characters are just extra characters. The game is totally complete without them. They're like the horror movie characters that serve as DLC in MK games as of late.

Yeah but I can just buy that MK DLC without fear of it selling out online. It's one thing to have the DLC be a free perk with a toy, they're losing money people are willing to spend on the digital content by not releasing it separately.

TheGrue

I haven't been able to look at the last few pages, but has anyone confirmed or denied that TRU has the instore cards for Greninja?

People have been saying they were told there won't be any in-store. Actually, let me clarify. I believe some were told that even though they had the cards, they were told not to sell them.

Shauni

The children/parents are the real victims of the shortage. The only reason people want WFT is because she is rare or to complete a collection. No one wants the character because they genuinely love the character or the franchise she represents. The fact a kid can't buy Captain or whoever is sad.

I know you're being general, but I do want to chime in and say that I bought the character on day 1 of Smash and amiibos, and I did so because I genuinely enjoy the look of the character and the franchise.

Hell, most people won't be able to use ANY Amiibo functionaly in STEAM. You'd think Nintendo would make at least ONE Fire Emblem Amiibo a common figure, so people would have the opportunity to utilize the functionality in this game....but nope. It's crazy to think that a portion of that game will be forever locked to almost everyone who buys it. Same goes for Xenoblade Chronicles 3D.

Insightful post, thanks. I'll have to read about the Mondo print method.

kirby_fox

Banned
Yeah, don't bother contacting GameStop for any answers for online preorders. They know nothing on the live chat and give standard "Sorry this sold out!" lines. Not calling them and waiting another damn hour.

The fact I just wasted an hour of my life for that, and I'm up to almost 4 hours sitting on the computer getting mad over toy allocations instead of doing something worthwhile is ridiculous in itself.

zroid

Banned
Yeah but I can just buy that MK DLC without fear of it selling out online. It's one thing to have the DLC be a free perk with a toy, they're losing money people are willing to spend on the digital content by not releasing it separately.

the DLC is the toy, if you don't want the toy, then pretend it doesn't exist.

I often wonder how many sales they lose out on due the reduction in disposable income that results from aftermarket prices.

Same. I can easily picture a scenario where a mom has a kid that wants all the Pokemon Amiibo, but instead of being able to just buy all five of them at MSRP for a total of about $65, they only end up getting a Pikachu and one other at some outrageous aftermarket price. They spent the same amount of money, and Nintendo only saw profit from one unit.

mjc

I was going to make the Mondo comparison but didn't think anyone would know what I was talking about.

The Mondo comparison works on some levels, but not on others. Mondo prints were stated to be extremely limited from the start of the shop. Not to mention the fact that they're joint efforts between the artists and Mondo themselves. Amiibos weren't pitched as such, in theory they're supposed to be readily available like Infinity or Skylanders.

The children/parents are the real victims of the shortage. The only reason people want WFT is because she is rare or to complete a collection. No one wants the character because they genuinely love the character or the franchise she represents. The fact a kid can't buy Captain or whoever is sad.

I like Wii Fit Trainer :(

Should this really be a thing for a friggen piece of DLC/toy though? Business wise maybe, but it seems to be doing nothing but frustrating an extremely large bulk of their community and fan base.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom