• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Amiibo Thread 6 | We're up all night to get salty

Status
Not open for further replies.
Given that there are so few jigglypuff and greninja ebay listings, I'm hoping either tons of people who actually wanted them got them, or there were so few allotted that even scalpers couldn't get any.

Should this really be a thing for a friggen piece of DLC/toy though? Business wise maybe, but it seems to be doing nothing but frustrating an extremely large bulk of their community and fan base.
It's working though. You have ton of people saying they're frustrated and out of the game but when the next Wave comes around people are lining up for them again. Rinse and repeat.

random rant

aren't wii u and 3DS the lowest sold in the UK/Europe?

i honestly dont get why they get flooded with amiibos, they get a shit load of special editions too that they can buy and ship to their homes - ocarina of time 3D, link between worlds, mario kart 8 , bayonetta 2 , hyrule warriors
while NA only gets MK8 and hyrule warriors IN ONLY ONE STORE IN ALL OF NA 0_o

just makes no sense why they get all the amiibos, all those pics i have seen of amiibos in europe makes me :/, just last week i saw a pic of a guy in europe that has pit, villager, wii fit trainer and other rare amiibos just sitting there, all my jelly

Jeff-DSA

If you're frustrated or stressed, let Nintendo know. Don't flood their Twitter account with f-bombs, but tweet at them that this simply isn't any fun and it's stressful and frustrating. If they see nothing said about Amiibo other than how frustrating it is to their core, they will have to take more notice.

Shauni

Hell, most people won't be able to use ANY Amiibo functionaly in STEAM. You'd think Nintendo would make at least ONE Fire Emblem Amiibo a common figure, so people would have the opportunity to utilize the functionality in this game....but nope. It's crazy to think that a portion of that game will be forever locked to almost everyone who buys it. Same goes for Xenoblade Chronicles 3D.

I may be mistaken, but I believe the Xenoblade thing is obtainable without amiibo isn't? Doesn't Shulk's amiibo just give you a lot of credits to buy the models, or have I misread?

Darryl

Banned
The Mondo comparison works on some levels, but not on others. Mondo prints were stated to be extremely limited from the start of the shop. Not to mention the fact that they're joint efforts between the artists and Mondo themselves. Amiibos weren't pitched as such, in theory they're supposed to be readily available like Infinity or Skylanders.

It doesn't need to be stated out loud for the comparison to work. Not at all. And we knew very fast that some of these were going to be hard to get.

It's working though. You have ton of people saying they're frustrated and out of the game but when the next Wave comes around people are lining up for them again. Rinse and repeat.

As I put in a previous post, be that as it may, there are many that do drop out because they don't want to put up with it. How many situations is it going to take like the current one where enough people just say "Fuck it" and give up? Where they can't even find a single amiibo from the new wave that Nintendo are hyping because they didn't wake up at 3am and work later than 3pm in the afternoon on the first day?

Hugstable

Banned
If you're frustrated or stressed, let Nintendo know. Don't flood their Twitter account with f-bombs, but tweet at them that this simply isn't any fun and it's stressful and frustrating. If they see nothing said about Amiibo other than how frustrating it is to their core, they will have to take more notice.

I already have. Sent them a polite Email using the support ticket since I didn't know where else to voice my displeasure.

CH4OS

tYtnjnZ.jpg
Nuff said ^

Zombine

Banned
the DLC is the toy, if you don't want the toy, then pretend it doesn't exist.

No. I don't subscribe to this at all. The only games where the toy is the functionality is Smash. You should be able to unlock the Mario Kart 8 skins with cash.

georly

Well, the FE characters are just extra characters. The game is totally complete without them. They're like the horror movie characters that serve as DLC in MK games as of late.

The steampunk setting doesn't appeal to me. The only thing that would make me want to play it would be using a full team of FE characters. Now I'm not interested. Eh. Whatever works for nintendo, I'm just bitter, I guess. I just hope games I actually love don't have content I actually want but can't get because I can't find the amiibo anywhere. Like, thank god I don't care for kirby.

harSon

Banned
Should this really be a thing for a friggen piece of DLC/toy though? Business wise maybe, but it seems to be doing nothing but frustrating an extremely large bulk of their community and fan base.

Trust me - as someone who doesn't get about 95% of the posters/prints that I want - I definitely feel you. It fucking sucks. I'm just saying that there's the possibility that it's not as terrible a business move as people are making it out to be. It's definitely not consumer friendly though.

Zombine

Banned
the DLC is the toy, if you don't want the toy, then pretend it doesn't exist.

No. I don't subscribe to this at all. The only games where the toy is the functionality is Smash. You should be able to unlock the Mario Kart 8 skins with cash. Same goes for the Hyrule Warriors weapons and Kirby Masks.

This is coming from someone who can access 90% of this content. Let the toy be the incentive to buy physical, but don't cut off people who want these little pieces of DLC but can't find or don't want the figure.

rjinaz

Could you be more specific? This could work in any NeoGAF thread on any day.

Ha, well the image specifically references how us amiibo hunters are forced to stay at the computer endlessly without leaving or we'll miss out. Though I'm pretty sure your question was rhetorical.

I was going to make the Mondo comparison but didn't think anyone would know what I was talking about.

Except I've had more of a chance with Mondo vinyls that sell out almost instantly than Amiibos. Even though some Mondo stuff goes very quickly, I always feel like I have a chance if I'm on the site when their products go live. With Amiibos, it's always up in the air and you're never really secured with a pre-order until you have it in your hands.

I already have. Sent them a polite Email using the support ticket since I didn't know where else to voice my displeasure.

I am convinced that NOA either has no sway in the decision making process and/or does jack shit that NOJ doesn't specifically tell them to do. It's like talking to a deaf and blind person when trying to get NOA to listen to it's fans.

Look at the situation with EarthBound. For years and years, fans cried and pleaded with NOA for something to be done in regards to Mother 3, or just any recognition to it's fans. It wasn't until fans started spamming the Japanese miiverse forums that NOJ actually saw that there was some demand, and shit finally got done and EB was put on virtual console for other territories. NOA spent years ignoring those same fans, but it only took a few months for NOJ to take notice of it.

I may be mistaken, but I believe the Xenoblade thing is obtainable without amiibo isn't? Doesn't Shulk's amiibo just give you a lot of credits to buy the models, or have I misread?

That may very well be the case. I honestly didn't know that. Well, hey, that's good to read!

Yeah... Reading those articles, amiibos are handled in a similar fashion to the Mondo posters (and now I feel like owning a few of these awesome posters), right down to long lines at Austin shows reminding me at the long lines at the Nintendo World Store for retail exclusive amiibos.

HUELEN10

No. I don't subscribe to this at all. The only games where the toy is the functionality is Smash. You should be able to unlock the Mario Kart 8 skins with cash. Same goes for the Hyrule Warriors weapons and Kirby Masks.

This is coming from someone who can access 90% of this content. Let the toy be the incentive to buy physical, but don't cut off people who want these little pieces of DLC but can't find or don't want the figure.
AMIIBO coins/cards would solve this.

Trust me - as someone who doesn't get about 95% of the posters/prints that I want - I definitely feel you. It fucking sucks. I'm just saying that there's the possibility that it's not as terrible a business move as people are making it out to be. It's definitely not consumer friendly though.

I get you. That's what I meant in my post. Either way this is working, I believe Nintendo and the retailers are getting their money and to them, that may be all that matters. Business wise, I think it is working out for them.

In the other realm though, I am curious how long it takes before their fan base revolts on them and simply gets fed up with the product. I am not the only one I've seen in these threads, on reddit, or around other parts of the internet that has lost good will for Nintendo. There has to be a breaking point where they make moves like this, or the N3DS situations where people simply stop buying their products because they don't feel that the company will give them ample support.

georly

AMIIBO coins/cards would solve this.

Amiibo coins/cards might also mean nintendo stops selling through their amiibo stocks :p

If I were them, I wouldn't make cheaper amiibo alternatives until the craze died down. or like 1+ year after an old amiibo is gone (so you don't get people that will 'just wait' a little bit for the card to come out).

Fox Mulder

I posted this in the other thread:

They seem to be going with the Mondo Print method (limited one time runs, making each piece a desired collectible - as opposed to a product). As much as it sucks, it sort of makes sense from a business standpoint - at least in terms of prolonging demand. It's hard to say whether Nintendo would sell more having limitless stock of each SKU, running the risk of people growing tired of the product, or artificially creating demand by having limited runs - making each SKU release an "event."

It has worked for Mondo and other artists/art galleries of that sort - so maybe it'll work for Nintendo too? It definitely weeds out those who aren't hardcore and 100% dedicated to their craft, but as far as preserving the long term health of the venture, it might not be a terrible idea.

That would be fine if Nintendo didn't support the expectation of finding these in multiple retailers. They just keep adding support to new games like most people can actually find the damn things. Then they post on twitter when their one flagship retail store in NYC gets hard to find amiibos in. They blamed the dock strike for shortages and implied a flood of amiibos would hit shelves going forward and there'd be reprints too, oops it's the same shit again.

That would be fine if Nintendo didn't support the expectation of finding these in multiple retailers. They just keep adding support to new games like most people can actually find the damn things. Then they post on twitter when their one flagship retail store in NYC gets hard to find amiibos in. They blamed the dock strike for shortages and implied a flood of amiibos would hit shelves going forward and there'd be reprints too, oops it's the same shit again.

This at the bolded.

The excuses have run out.

Zombine

Banned

This is 100% true. It was heavily implied that we would be swimming in Amiibo after the strike ended. Maybe they were playing it super safe with preorders and there will be more shipments other than the initial allocation in May, but I'm incredibly skeptical.

Yeah, you don't make something rare and collectible only, while continuing to add functionality that millions of people could potentially miss out on since they can't get these rare items.

Draxal

I think the wall of silence is what angers me.

spookyfish

Quoted for truth.

I can't figure out how each wave keeps getting successively worse.

Somnid

They blamed the dock strike for shortages and implied a flood of amiibos would hit shelves going forward and there'd be reprints too, oops it's the same shit again.

They implied no such thing, that was all fan narrative, they just said that the dock strike was delaying shipments. Iwata specifically states that it takes considerable time to reprint Amiibos due to requiring manual steps. Note that we don't even know the extent of shipments or if they are indeed larger than previous waves, what we do know is that demand is much higher than it was a few months ago.

Wow 122 pages already. Craziness.

So updates for me if anyone wants to tally me in their list of f'ed collectors:

- Target: got Jiggly - lucky
- BestBuy: got the 5 ordered
- GS: first in line, paid for Splatoon bundle and Smash bundle. Seems my Smash bundle may get cancelled as i never got an email and not showing up on the website order status. Splatoon bundle is showing and I got the email.
- TRU: 1am Pacific instead of 4am as "reported?" Yeah I was asleep

I'm now at the point where if I get Amiibo at US retail price, great. If I miss out, I may just import everything because id rather give my money to the more competent Nintendo's of the world and id rather pay $20 for an import than $30+ to a scalper. Good luck everyone.

Surprised people aren't flooding the SSB Miiverse about the preorder situation or something. They would probably get modded out anyway.

Hugstable

Banned

The truth, I don't see how this stuff can keep being excused. And the fact they keep advertising it in the direct like people can actually buy them is even more of a joke. "Hey everyone, lets spend 5 minutes or so in a direct advertising something you probably won't ever be able to see in your life!, also good luck ever enjoying that extra content in our games!"

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom