• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Amiibo Thread 6 | We're up all night to get salty

Status
Not open for further replies.

Zombine

Banned
Gold was a Walmart exclusive that came and went, Silver has yet to be seen anywhere.

Silver Mario is unlocked once you prove that you own all Smash Amiibo from the same country.

They you are given a specific link to have the chance to preorder the figure from Walgreens.

One of the things that's really shitty about this whole situation is that you could have a reasonably high amount of figures available but because people are so fevered about getting them, they sell out regardless. With Internet access, it opens it up to the full flood gates. Ness lasted longer with in-store that it would have even dreamed if it was up online. Just look at Robin and Lucina. The thing that gets pissy is the people who are scooping them up for high markup resale and that's it. Then there are those of us that actually care about our figures. Outside of limiting quantity, we really have no idea how to divide those people.

I really think though that Nintendo should have an early pre-manufacturing pre-order to gauge demand (although this can go wrong too. I was part of the Ni No Kuni CE disaster). It should at least help us hardcore out.

D

Diggeh

Unconfirmed Member
tYtnjnZ.jpg

Nuff said ^

Ls0QFOr.gif

D

Deleted member 752119

Unconfirmed Member
Same. I can easily picture a scenario where a mom has a kid that wants all the Pokemon Amiibo, but instead of being able to just buy all five of them at MSRP for a total of about $65, they only end up getting a Pikachu and one other at some outrageous aftermarket price. They spent the same amount of money, and Nintendo only saw profit from one unit.

Well, technically Nintendo is seeing the same profit regardless on the rare figures as they're all getting bought. The $13 or whatever from a scalper is the same as the $13 from a collector to them.

Though they of course are probably losing sales from people who would buy some of the rare ones if they could make more of them.

No. I don't subscribe to this at all. The only games where the toy is the functionality is Smash. You should be able to unlock the Mario Kart 8 skins with cash. Same goes for the Hyrule Warriors weapons and Kirby Masks.

This is coming from someone who can access 90% of this content. Let the toy be the incentive to buy physical, but don't cut off people who want these little pieces of DLC but can't find or don't want the figure.

Agreed. It's silly financially for Nintendo as it's turning away a revenue stream by not selling little DLCs to people who don't want (or can't find) the needed Amiibo. I doubt offering it would affect Amiibo sales much, if at all, as I think most buy them for collecting purposes primarily rather than just for the in-game usages given how limited those have been so far.

kirby_fox

Banned
Quoted for truth.

I can't figure out how each wave keeps getting successively worse.

Higher demand that outstrips production. More fans jumped in, way more scalpers jumped in and found ways around the 1 per person limits. I mean, if you're a scalper and you can get just 4 of each of Wave 4 at an average of $50 a pop you've just got $1600 minus the cost of each. And if you don't work, $1600 is good money.

Not to mention the amount of fans also buying multiples so they can trade.

Penguin

Like most corporate accounts, I imagine this was something that was arranged weeks in advance and scheduled without being touched by a human hand since.

The truth, I don't see how this stuff can keep being excused. And the fact they keep advertising it in the direct like people can actually buy them is even more of a joke. "Hey everyone, lets spend 5 minutes or so in a direct advertising something you probably won't ever be able to see in your life!, also good luck ever enjoying that extra content in our games!"
No way hugs, you buy amiibos too?! Imy <3

I had a thought, what if this is just an elaborate plot to make us buy the cards instead. Let's make them so mad that they have to buy the cards. Moths to the flames. (I need to rest)

I know it's impossible but it would be hilarious if both their facebook and twitter followers went to 0, and nobody but scalpers bought the amiibos.

totally clueless.
This folks, is why auto-Tweeters can be utter shit.

Honestly though, they deserve to hear it. Could be more constructive but there's a point. People want to be fans, they want to support Nintendo. I don't think Nintendo isn't hearing that but they're need to find/hire someone who has a better solution.

-Horizon-

I had a thought, what if this is just an elaborate plot to make us buy the cards instead. Let's make them so mad that they have to buy the cards. Moths to the flames. (I need to rest)

Maybe if we get them so sleep deprived from amiibo hunting, they won't notice us discontinuing the Wii U ;)

D-Stubbs

Well the only one I didn't manage to pre order yesterday was Jigglypuff. That's ok though, if it's anything like Rosalina I should get one no problem. I remember my Target getting a decent stock of Rosalina's so hopefully Jigglypuff is the same. I'll just have to make to get there at a decent time.

I feel pretty lucky getting out of yesterday with Jigglypuff the only one from Wave 4 I hadn't preordered. I'll take that.

LostAnkh

Goddammit, I should've stayed up an extra 2 hours. Amazon and Wal-Mart are my only hope.

I'm not getting any sleep until I get what I want out of this wave.

I can only imagine the anger that retailers are feeling right now.
Probably hundreds of thousands of people calling Target about Jiggles, plenty of absolute rage with Gamestop (who basically had like less than 24 hours to prepare for their debacle) and TRU with putting up their new stock at like 3 in the morning.

Man I don't even know. I'm hoping this is just retailers being dumb and allocating only a small amount for preorders and they'll have lots of these figures in stock. But this thirst is real.

Still reminds me of Skylanders in their first year. Stock sold out entirely in December and after Christmas most stores couldn't keep them on the shelves until May. Although I suppose it'd be better maybe to have nothing at all than have 8 Marios and Peach and Pikachu staring back at you in every store.

I mean, to be honest the store exclusives and Robin/Lucina are really all we should panic about. Maybe Splatoon 3 pack, but it seemed like that one stayed up for quite a while with some stores.

Kintaro

Worships the porcelain goddess
I can only imagine the anger that retailers are feeling right now.
Probably hundreds of thousands of people calling Target about Jiggles, plenty of absolute rage with Gamestop (who basically had like less than 24 hours to prepare for their debacle) and TRU with putting up their new stock at like 3 in the morning.

Man I don't even know. I'm hoping this is just retailers being dumb and allocating only a small amount for preorders and they'll have lots of these figures in stock. But this thirst is real.

Still reminds me of Skylanders in their first year. Stock sold out entirely in December and after Christmas most stores couldn't keep them on the shelves until May. Although I suppose it'd be better maybe to have nothing at all than have 8 Marios and Peach and Pikachu staring back at you in every store.

I mean, to be honest the store exclusives and Robin/Lucina are really all we should panic about. Maybe Splatoon 3 pack, but it seemed like that one stayed up for quite a while with some stores.

Oh yes. I'm sure GameStop and Target are just FURIOUS with Nintendo right now. Driving customers to their websites and their stores. They must be absolutely full of ANGER that these things sold out in one day. So upset that people will continue to come into their stores, visit their websites and call for updates on these products.

So MAD!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom