• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Amiibo Thread 6 | We're up all night to get salty

Status
Not open for further replies.
Then you would have shelves and shelves of Wii fit trainers and Lucianas. They should be more rare, but not this much more.

Again, this is how it should be. There should be no issue with being able to stumble into a store and pick up what you want. If you want to be more reasonable, maybe Luigi and Donkey Kong levels. I always see those, but never more than 4-5 at a time and some stores don't have any.

Shoot, the entire SMB line is a perfect example of how all waves should be. You can even find Toads and Bowsers in store on occasion.

Rocky

Banned
Teh waifu's, eh? >.>

Well, kinda I guess. But I'm not really interested in the those other characters. I got all the Pokemon and Mario characters and Zelda characters as well. Heck, I could have easily had Pt, or Little Mac or Villager or any of those other rare when they were sitting on shelves the first couple weeks. I saw them a lot, but I honestly just didn't want them.

AdanVC

At this moment there's no alternative to preorder figures of wave 4 from europe or japan that ships to 'murica, right? My god can't believe there's still 2 months left of this nightmare here in the americas with preorders and thins being sold out in microseconds. Freaking NoA i can't i just can't :'(

massoluk

Banned
Mark your calendars

https://twitter.com/AmiiboNews/status/584048722734096384
CBr1N-lUAAAo7yx.png

Jesus, blood will be spilled. Chaos will reign.

cacildo

I wish i could chose other a amiibo. I own yoshi and mario. Cant seem to have an opportunity to buy any other. But any other would be fine

DooD1234

Has jiggly or greninja went back up for sale ever? I didn't went to check because I find out it went up at 3 in the morning EST and sold in 30 minutes. When is the next preorder window expected to come back up?

All stores should be cancelling double orders, multiple quantities, and orders going to the same address.

There should be exactly 0 listings on ebay with multiple quantities.

weevles

ok I didn't know that part about GS deliberately pushing in-store preorders and lying about online. Who the hell in corporate thought that was a swell idea? I can see them saying "sorry, no online preorders, please stop by your local store and get a ticket to preorder", but WHY YOU LIE GS. Good god, I know they think they're the 800lb gorilla of video game retail but fuck them.

RootCause

Has jiggly or greninja went back up for sale ever? I didn't went to check because I find out it went up at 3 in the morning EST and sold in 30 minutes. When is the next preorder window expected to come back up?
Dunno about TRU, but target said they would have more on release day.

The new amiibo look really nice from those shots... Makes me salty that I missed Ness but I sure as hell wasn't leaving work for one.

All stores should be cancelling double orders, multiple quantities, and orders going to the same address.

But then you'll run into problems like siblings wanting two of the same toy.

Neoxon

TRU is doing an in-store pre-order session later this month, & as previously stated, Jiggs will be getting some extras in-store (Target is usually pretty good about that).

GeeDuhb

To me, the biggest mistake by Nintendo with this whole bullshit exclusive Amiibos is, if you are going to make one a store exclusive, keep producing them...don't do one fucking run. I understand the idea of shelf space, etc. but if you have a store exclusive, shelf space is not an issue for one Amiibo and the stores would be happy because you would still have to go to them to buy it. This one run shit for an exclusive is just ridiculous.

DooD1234

Dunno about TRU, but target said they would have more on release day.
If I didn't have my Amazon UK order for Robin and Lucina and Ness, I would have been extremely salty. They been going up for sale at terrible times for me. Here hoping I have better luck with those exclusives whenever they become available again.

Forgot to ask, is the 3 pack splatoon ever went up? I'm not too worried about that one as I'm sure they be stocked enough like a Toad.

But then you'll run into problems like siblings wanting two of the same toy.
Let them thunderdome for it.

I definitely feel like firsties takes precedence over seconds. Let someone get their first Greninja before letting someone get a second one for their other kid.

kirby_fox

Banned
I just realized I will actually have release day off of work- or at least should.

But...that's because I have to be at a wedding out of town that Saturday. In the middle of nowhere. With bad phone reception.

If I actually wind up getting any of Wave 4 at this point, it'll be a miracle.

Velcro Fly

Yeah the fucking foot of snow I got on that morning says hi too. Rosalina is the only one I don't have from the Smash series because of that.

Fox Mulder

or they could just make enough. People probably don't scalp call of duty or tube socks.

I wanted to get two nessesses so i could get my brother one too, but took 50 minutes to get one.

GeeDuhb

Absolutely. These need to be limited to one per person, no question. The scalpers are making this whole situation worse, and it is disgusting.

To me, the biggest mistake by Nintendo with this whole bullshit exclusive Amiibos is, if you are going to make one a store exclusive, keep producing them...don't do one fucking run. I understand the idea of shelf space, etc. but if you have a store exclusive, shelf space is not an issue for one Amiibo and the stores would be happy because you would still have to go to them to buy it. This one run shit for an exclusive is just ridiculous.

Yes! I always say this to my friend when we talk amiibo. I don't understand why a store licenses for an exclusive amiibo and is satisfied with just one wave. Even moreso since stores are starting to double dip for exclusives.

Megatron

Yep. How much benefit are they getting when they sell all their stock online? At least gamestop got people into their stores to buy their figure. And we have to go back to get them (assuming we wanted free shipping) they are actually creating some traffic. Of course the stores can't make ninte do make more figures.

AdanVC

Yikes. NoA social networks are 100% hell right now. Every amiibo related post they do and people insult them so bad because of wave 4 madness. This is getting out of control and honestly this is just not funny anymore :S

ok I didn't know that part about GS deliberately pushing in-store preorders and lying about online. Who the hell in corporate thought that was a swell idea? I can see them saying "sorry, no online preorders, please stop by your local store and get a ticket to preorder", but WHY YOU LIE GS. Good god, I know they think they're the 800lb gorilla of video game retail but fuck them.
That's not entirely what happened.

Preordered were SUPPOSED to be in store and online. But the moment they started, the database to ALL 5,000 GameStop stores took a massive shit under the load. Their website was getting absolutely hammered, at the store I was at it took over TWO HOURS before the first person in line was actually able to make their purchase. During the storm, GS decided that it would be best to not do the online orders, because there was actually no way to do it with their website being devastated, and divert all stock and traffic to the stores for preorders. GS corporate had to actually shit down and reboot their ENTIRE infrastructure because it got so completely fucked.

I'm not trying to make excuses for them, it's pathetic that their servers were unable to carry the load and they were caught with their pants down, but to say they lied to the public from the get go is ridiculous.

Wow those yarn Yoshis are relatively big.

Nintendo's gone on record saying there's no size limit to Amiibo. I believe the example they used was making a big Arwing model?

Fox Mulder

The Splatoon amiibos are so damn cute!

Seeing Robin and Lucina pics makes me sad.

I'm not really interested in splatoon amiibo since i havent even played the game. I'm sure they'll be long sold out by the time it comes out anyways.

Preordered were SUPPOSED to be in store and online. But the moment they started, the database to ALL 5,000 GameStop stores took a massive shit under the load. Their website was getting absolutely hammered, at the store I was at it took over TWO HOURS before the first person in line was actually able to make their purchase. During the storm, GS decided that it would be best to not do the online orders, because there was actually no way to do it with their website being devastated, and divert all stock and traffic to the stores for preorders. GS corporate had to actually shit down and reboot their ENTIRE infrastructure because it got so completely fucked.

I'm not trying to make excuses for them, it's pathetic that their servers were unable to carry the load and they were caught with their pants down, but to say they lied to the public from the get go is ridiculous.

news about the in store only preordering leaked a bit before it started. They announced one thing publicly and did something else internally.

Somnid

I don't think it's a lack of shelf space, they don't even make it that far. Retailers are probably giving Nintendo some nice kickbacks given how Amiibo are. I think it's literally the effort to produce them, whether that be an unwillingness to open news lines, complications to do so, the complication of the Smash Amiibo needing to be constructed and painted many colors with manual steps (unlike design-for-manufacture peers), the amount of Amiibo variants they need to push through the lines, and just general inexperience selling figurines at such a volume scale. Demand isn't a static target either, it just keeps growing, and it's not primarily from children but adults who have a lot of money and resources to seek these things out.

rjinaz

It's a good account of the Wave 4 shitstorm and yet they still came to a non-sense conclusion. The exclusives aren't the reason you can't get them, it's the low stock. In an ideal world I could go online and ship all 3 exclusives in like 5 minutes to my house but I can't do that because there are too many people who want to do that. Also, there is no secrecy, they gave dates (in fact we have a roadmap into September) but retailers can allow preorders whenever they feel like. It's not even the day of the preorders that matters, it's been literally down to the minute.

Dates mean little when retailers don't know allocation amounts. Rumors surfacing before the direct was that retailers were frustrated that Nintendo was not communicating with them.

Though I'm not sure why I keep responding to you considering you think it's all so entertaining, and have no doubt the agenda of riling people up for that purpose.

I feel this is sarcastic but I agree. I've definitely taken a back seat as the crazy ramps up and I kinda like it from the peanut gallery. It's been fun to watch the meltdowns.

weevles

True, but it pretty much resulted in the same thing. Basically they over promised and under delivered. They pushed out an ill-thought plan with only their interests in mind, not the customers'.

Nintendo is also to blame for not having thought this Amiibo thing completely through either.

And last we are to blame for still wanting these things even though they are making us crazy.

Chase17

Do we know anything about Amazon preorders, like when they come out or how they'll work? I'm hoping to pick up Robin and Lucina (and am not feeling too confident about my chances).

Thanks for link. Pretty much sums up what I think. I'm trying to be informed parent about these video things. I made the mistake on Wave 1 , thinking I could walk into store and buy that one amiibo name Marth. That experience taught me importance of pre-order, except that bit of knowlege didn't help yesterday after 2+ hour wait at Gamestop. Sigh. Im still going to try for those 3 FE ambiios. Amazon and/or Walmart going to sell it to me! :)

LiK

Do we know anything about Amazon preorders, like when they come out or how they'll work? I'm hoping to pick up Robin and Lucina (and am not feeling too confident about my chances).

no one knows anything about Amazon. even Amazon CSR are clueless.

weevles

Nope, these things just pop up without any warning. Amazon may announce just prior through social media, but it will be just as a big of a cluster mess as any other retailers'.

I do wonder if anyone at Amazon is paying attention to what has been happening with Wave 4, but it's not like they can do too much about it. A lot of this is Nintendo being Nintendo.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom