• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Amiibo Thread 6 | We're up all night to get salty

Status
Not open for further replies.

CorvoSol

It's sad to me that so many people are feeling forced to try and figure out how to import from Japan for amiibo. NoA what are you doing?

I mean there's nothing else really for it. It's been almost 2 days since the whole TRU thing and I'm still staring at the Paypal pending e-mail and knowing that 1) I'm never going to get the TRU confirmation email and 2) I've waited all day for a chance to talk to a rep online to no avail.

I mean I stayed up all night to get Ness one day, and the next day I HAD Lucina and Robin in my cart and then SHIT HAPPENED and now I have no fucking idea what happened.

If I could buy these directly from Japan I would, in part to stick it to scalpers and in part to stick it to NoA.

This has been the worst shopping experience I can name, and people still insist we're all in this for the fucking agony.

This is the first time this Amiibo situation has gotten me actually angry. After all this time Nintendo is still screwing up inventory and still not selling these directly in advance. If scalpers want to buy extra inventory so be it. At least give actual customers a chance to buy. I'm okay with paying now and not getting the items until a few weeks or months later. I don't even get the chance to pay for anything.

The Splatoon issue is what is pissing me off the most because there is content locked to it now. I doubt I'm even going to get a chance to attempt a preorder on Robin, Lucina, and the re-released Marth.

This. As long as i'm guaranteed the amiibo i want at retail price, i don't mind waiting a while for it to get delivered.

Enforcer

I'm sure this sentiment has been shared before, but I feel like someone needs to print and collect every page of this thread and find a way to deliver it to Reggie.

I think this is a very good idea. Even if Reggie or NoA don't care about the anguish they inflict on us, maybe they'd see this has a whole lot of lost sales.

Or maybe they'd just sit there cackling and rubbing their hands together like a super villain. :(

rjinaz

I think this is a very good idea. Even if Reggie or NoA don't care about the anguish they inflict on us, maybe they'd see this has a whole lot of lost sales.

Or maybe they'd just sit there cackling and rubbing their hands together like a super villain. :(

I think that if somebody from Nintendo is not monitoring this thread already, then they probably don't care enough in the first place. Just my thoughts on it anyway.

Samaritan

I just can't help but get the sense that Nintendo of America continues to reside in their ivory tower completely oblivious to the current Amiibo situation. Either that, or Nintendo of Japan is being traditionally stubborn and slow to react with other regions and is making things difficult for NoA to help this situation.

I can't imagine a world in which they don't try to improve this situation; they are losing sales, that much is certain. And it seems this Wave more than any other has been the breaking point for a lot of people. The number of comments I've seen in this thread of people expressing that they're giving up far exceeds those same sentiments previously.

Briarios

I'm not giving up until I see the store stock situation. If it's better this time, I may stay interested. If it's nit, then I'm definitely out.

They have had enough time to ramp up production to meet demand.

Soul Beat

Well, I'm gonna step out for a while. Everyone take out their wallets as I'm sure all retailers will open their preorders while I'm away.

And as always, good luck GAF.

I might have to break my US-region-only rule with Greninja and Jigglypuff. I open them all, so I guess it doesn't matter... but importing will mean that I paid more than retail for one and that is one thing I haven't had to do yet.

I've been super lucky on the whole amiibo front, but maybe my luck has run out. I still can't believe I missed Jigglypuff. I WAS IN THIS THREAD WHEN IT WENT UP, but I was answering an IM for work and missed it!

If you really want to make a point and get coverage that might embarrass Nintendo into having to acknowledge this situation, there's a much better way than printing put this thread, which they'd never read anyways.

Count up every Amiibo you want to buy at MSRP but can't/couldn't and list them out
Multiply the count by the MSRP to figure out how much money Nintendo has lost from you
Take a picture of that much cash along with your list and tweet it at Nintendo with a hashtag that can get trended (#AmiibOhNo, or anything that reflects this whole debacle)

It'll make a bigger point, and with any luck, actually get coverage in media enough to embarass Nintendo for the way this has been handled.

I want easily 10+ Amiibos I can't get. God, and if you counted people who couldn't get the MM n3DSXL...

Samaritan

If you really want to make a point and get coverage that might embarrass Nintendo into having to acknowledge this situation, there's a much better way than printing put this thread, which they'd never read anyways.

Count up every Amiibo you want to buy at MSRP but can't/couldn't and list them out
Multiply the count by the MSRP to figure out how much money Nintendo has lost from you
Take a picture of that much cash along with your list and tweet it at Nintendo with a hashtag that can get trended (#AmiibOhNo, or anything that reflects this whole debacle)

It'll make a bigger point, and with any luck, actually get coverage in media enough to embarass Nintendo for the way this has been handled.

I want easily 10+ Amiibos I can't get. God, and if you counted people who couldn't get the MM n3DSXL...

I like this idea a lot.

I hate this idea a lot.

I don't think flashing a bunch of cash on Twitter is going to embarrass Nintendo.

Well nothing has yet. Unless you can find a cause for a class action lawsuit or something else that hurts their wallets, Nintendo is going to keep ignoring the West.

We are an afterthought to them.

Enforcer

I think that if somebody from Nintendo is not monitoring this thread already, then they probably don't care enough in the first place. Just my thoughts on it anyway.

I can't help but think that you're right. I'd hope they care, but then again, maybe they can't do anything about it because...

I just can't help but get the sense that Nintendo of America continues to reside in their ivory tower completely oblivious to the current Amiibo situation. Either that, or Nintendo of Japan is being traditionally stubborn and slow to react with other regions and is making things difficult for NoA to help this situation.

I can't imagine a world in which they don't try to improve this situation; they are losing sales, that much is certain. And it seems this Wave more than any other has been the breaking point for a lot of people. The number of comments I've seen in this thread of people expressing that they're giving up far exceeds those same sentiments previously.

I always forget that NoA doesn't always have as much autonomy as we'd probably like, especially with Iwata in charge of the division. Its a setup that makes me think they're always going to be second fiddle to NCL, whereas NoE has much more freedom. I'd really like to believe that they're invested in making this situation better, if only for their own bottom line, but we're in what, wave 4 (not counting the SMB line) and if anything, it seems worse. I really hope something changes and that this wave will be plentifully stocked in stores, but I don't want to set myself up for disappointment.

Samaritan

Well nothing has yet. Unless you can find a cause for a class action lawsuit or something else that hurts their wallets, Nintendo is going to keep ignoring the West.

We are an afterthought to them.

Embarrass Nintendo? No. But they'd need to start paying more than zero attention if it was made obvious to them how much they're actively losing by not having the supply in place. This is literally the Fry meme except they're not able to take everyone's money.

You could always continue to write in emails and stuff to retailers and Nintendo. I mean, they do respond to them, but if they get a ton they can probably see people are unhappy.

I'm probably giving too much credit at this point, but I'm hoping retailers are playing it safe and just giving a small amount of preorders out at this time, then there will be lots of stock of them on launch.

Somnid

They lost $39 (potentially by never restocking).

But then I added how how much I spent: $507.

Ultimately it doesn't make a point because they aren't understocking them to piss you off.

So i was at ebgames here in canada and prob 13 peeps ahead of me and some dennis the menace guy comes out of no where breathing super fast and heavy as soon as he witness how much people were waiting

so he goes in the front of the line and he says, "Do you guys mind if cut in i only have 10 minutes then i have to rush back to work" everyone rejects him and he walks into the back of the line cussing up a storm calling everyone an asshole, telling the lady behind him that "these people are freaks for amiibos"

pretty entertaing stuff.

Nintendo is absolutely manufacturing scarcity and rarity with these items to maintain the hype and attention on them.

There's no practical use for them right now but they realized people are seeing them as "collectible" and that's why they're buying up all the stock.

Someone at Nintendo is running numbers to see how many they can make available and sell out instantly and make a good profit while still leaving demand there for more.

It's stupid shit but i guess a lot of companies do it. I just don't have patience for it.

I just wish I could buy a ness. Ness isn't available? oh well, bye.

I'm considering just buying the remaining three I need from a scalper right now, just so I can get some fuckin' sleep. I hate myself for even just toying with the notion.

Samaritan

I'm considering just buying the remaining three I need from a scalper right now, just so I can get some fuckin' sleep. I hate myself for even just toying with the notion.

At least wait until they're released. The in-store situation might be different than you expect now. :/

LostAnkh

Nintendo is absolutely manufacturing scarcity and rarity with these items to maintain the hype and attention on them.

There's no practical use for them right now but they realized people are seeing them as "collectible" and that's why they're buying up all the stock.

Someone at Nintendo is running numbers to see how many they can make available and sell out instantly and make a good profit while still leaving demand there for more.

It's stupid shit but i guess a lot of companies do it. I just don't have patience for it.

What's worse is that the amiibo cards are a backup plan that won't make anybody happy. It certainly won't remedy the scarcity situation that's been here since the beginning.

Samaritan

What's worse is that the amiibo cards are a backup plan that won't make anybody happy. It certainly won't remedy the scarcity situation that's been here since the beginning.

It's beyond baffling Nintendo believes Amiibo cards are a solution to the scarcity issue, as if any of us actually really cared about the in-game functionality of these figures.

I will be getting my in store preorders today. Which leaves me with an extra preorder with Amazon UK for the main 6 (no Jiggly or Greninja)

Anyone want them? These are from the first wave of preorders on Amazon UK. I likely won't have the funds for the preorder so we would have to work something out.

PM me if interested

I forgot I also have them preorder via Best Buy USA, no Ness so just the 5.

I will sort through the PMs soon. Looking to do both in one transaction if possible. So the lot of UK preorders and the lot of BB ones.

These were back ups while I waited for EB Games Canada in store preorders today. They will just be cancelled otherwise.

Somnid

Don't, and don't import either unless you're really okay with the money. It's not worth it in the end. Just get some sleep and make your peace. Don't lose sight of what's really going on, as cool as Amiibos are they are, in a sense are just consumer trophies and you shouldn't need to hurt or stress yourself to get them.

MADGAME

Absolutely. In the end it puts an "Oh shit I better buy this Nintendo product the second it comes out" mentality into people or they may never get it.

At least wait until they're released. The in-store situation might be different than you expect now. :/

I know, I know. I'm just so very tired. I especially think Wario will be easy to find, and I'd seriously regret paying a higher ebay price for him. Lucina and Robin are the real concern for me right now.

This is a daring and thought-provoking accusation that totally hasn't been brought up before (and totally ignores that part where Nintendo makes no money/loses money from not having product on shelves).

Nintendo doesnt really give a damn about the fans. Just look at the exclusives. Now some people understand the hell third parties went through with this company. I remember Pete Hines grilled Nintendo a new one about their shitty communication skills.

I forgot I also have them preorder via Best Buy USA, no Ness so just the 5.

I will sort through the PMs soon. Looking to do both in one transaction if possible. So the lot of UK preorders and the lot of BB ones.

These were back ups while I waited for EB Games Canada in store preorders today. They will just be cancelled otherwise.

PM'd Please help me out, I really need some sleep. I'll even throw in a Gold Mario on top of the costs.

Samaritan

I know, I know. I'm just so very tired. I especially think Wario will be easy to find, and I'd seriously regret paying a higher ebay price for him. Lucina and Robin are the real concern for me right now.

Oh believe me, I'm right there with you, with Jigglpuff especially. But if you're even considering going to a scalper, at least wait until you know for certain there's no way you're going to get these. You're not looking for exclusives from the sound of it, so there is still a good chance you might be able to find one or all of the ones you need in-store.

Kai Dracon

Writing a dinosaur space opera symphony
It's beyond baffling Nintendo believes Amiibo cards are a solution to the scarcity issue, as if any of us actually really cared about the in-game functionality of these figures.

A lot of people do care. I guess the toy collector mentality keeps some people from seeing it.

I want Smash amiibo because I like using them in Smash. I'm not buying any Mario Party amiibo and not lusting over gold mario because I'm not a mint-in-box collector, and I don't care about Mario Party. And I know a fair number of people who actually are using the figures in Smash.

LostAnkh

The cards will be even worse as I wholeheartedly expect them to be blind packed.
I'll probably buy them anyway, but I'm hoping the design template of those cards aren't bad in any way.

I'm pretty sure Marth/WFT/Villager and the other trinities will have a special mark to show that they are members of the Holy Trinity.

I'd care more about their functionality if they integrated it with other internal software for the Wii U & 3DS, but I'm mainly getting them because they are figures that represent my favorite Nintendo characters. And they just have great packaging.

Samaritan

A lot of people do care. I guess the toy collector mentality keeps some people from seeing it.

I want Smash amiibo because I like using them in Smash. I'm not buying any Mario Party amiibo and not lusting over gold mario because I'm not a mint-in-box collector, and I don't care about Mario Party. And I know a fair number of people who actually are using the figures in Smash.

So theoretically if you main'd a character with a super-rare Amiibo, like Ness or Jigglypuff, and they put out a card for those characters at a later date, you'd be willing to just grab that and be set?

I guess I just figured almost all of us were in this for having the figures since the functionality is so limited outside of Smash and having a figure of our favorite Nintendo characters is still kind of novel.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom