• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Amiibo Thread 6 | We're up all night to get salty

Status
Not open for further replies.
Just give me an amiibo sandbox sim where i can put Mario in mushroom kingdom, watch him going out on adventures, interacting with other related amiibo characters, adding enemies to the world with amiibos - allow me to explore those evolving worlds with my MII character and join the Nintendo amiibos in whatever random events may pop up

so like a mix of animal cross/the sims/kairosoft game & a mix of everything nintendo

that would be one hell of a perfect use for amiibos.

fernoca

I opened and use mine. Smash and now Mario Party. Then I picked mains, so the Mario amiibo is level 40 in Smash while some are 20..15.

Somnid

So theoretically if you main'd a character with a super-rare Amiibo, like Ness or Jigglypuff, and they put out a card for those characters at a later date, you'd be willing to just grab that and be set?

I guess I just figured almost all of us were in this for having the figures since the functionality is so limited outside of Smash and having a figure of our favorite Nintendo characters is still kind of novel.

That is a big driver, especially for the people paying tons of money to collect them. Go into an Amiibo thread outside this one though and you get the "physical DLC" comments where the worth of the Amiibo is just the functionality and this group seems to get more and more irritated that Amiibo are doing more and more interesting things. They don't like the price, they don't want the "clutter" but they do want the functionality. Cards better serves that market.

LostAnkh

A lot of people do care. I guess the toy collector mentality keeps some people from seeing it.

I want Smash amiibo because I like using them in Smash. I'm not buying any Mario Party amiibo and not lusting over gold mario because I'm not a mint-in-box collector, and I don't care about Mario Party. And I know a fair number of people who actually are using the figures in Smash.
I do care that they have functionality with games, but I'd like to see more with the internal software for the consoles and handhelds. They just need to think of some great ways to use them.

Shauni

They lost $39 (potentially by never restocking).

But then I added how how much I spent: $507.

Ultimately it doesn't make a point because they aren't understocking them to piss you off.

Yeah, and really, in the end I think it would just emphasis that the issue is really with a very small group of amiibos.

Samaritan

That is a big driver, especially for the people paying tons of money to collect them. Go into an Amiibo thread outside this one though and you get the "physical DLC" comments where the worth of the Amiibo is just the functionality and this group seems to get more and more irritated that Amiibo are doing more and more interesting things. They don't like the price, they don't want the "clutter" but they do want the functionality. Cards better serves that market.

Huh, interesting! I had no idea that kind of demand for the existing functionality was there.

Pompadour

This is a daring and thought-provoking accusation that totally hasn't been brought up before (and totally ignores that part where Nintendo makes no money/loses money from not having product on shelves).

I don't think it's intentional but I think a large part of amiibo's popularity is that people don't really have the opportunity to take a wait-and-see approach. As far as game functionality, there's very little (and likely there will be even less for the rare ones from less popular series). So the fact that if you don't buy now you may never get certain amiibo people are purchasing them hoping that they'll be worth it later.

Plus, the high demand/low supply is giving them an inflated value that even people who don't care about certain characters may pick them up because others care a lot. I almost bought a Jigglypuff on a whim despite that character having no appeal to me personally because other people really, really wanted it. I bought a Pit just because he's rare.

JoeM86

It's beyond baffling Nintendo believes Amiibo cards are a solution to the scarcity issue, as if any of us actually really cared about the in-game functionality of these figures.

That's not why they're doing amiibo cards.

The amiibo cards are really more for Japan (and plus Animal Crossing figures would be ridiculous). In Japan, the toys-to-life market just isn't there and amiibo isn't doing all that well there. Cards, on the other hand, are still huge so by putting the same functionality in a card, it opens the entire market up. As Iwata said, when they revealed amiibo, Japanese analysts, investors etc. claimed they were too big to catch on in Japan, and they are right.

Oh believe me, I'm right there with you, with Jigglpuff especially. But if you're even considering going to a scalper, at least wait until you know for certain there's no way you're going to get these. You're not looking for exclusives from the sound of it, so there is still a good chance you might be able to find one or all of the ones you need in-store.

I'm just so pissed off at this, because I did all the right things to make sure I was able to pre-order them all. I left work early to wait at GameStop two hours before pre-orders went live: second in line, and by the time the computers actually started working at the store I was at, three of the characters were already gone. I didn't bother with Best Buy because I figured I had them locked down at GS, and I prioritized Greninja when TRU pre-orders went live so I missed them there too. Not sure what else I could do to get these.

Somnid

Huh, interesting! I had no idea that kind of demand for the existing functionality was there.

It's less for Smash but a lot more with things like Codename STEAM. Of course those people aren't going to stay up all night in hopes of grabbing a Lucina like pure Lucina fans are.

Samaritan

I distinctly remember someone at Nintendo talking about cards as a potential solution for people who weren't able to get their hands on harder to find Amiibos, but obviously the only Amiibo cards right now are those Animal Crossing cards which serve a very different purpose.

Interesting point you make about the Japanese market and cards though!

Every time new Amiibo go up for pre-order
lwQAKT3l.png

This is a daring and thought-provoking accusation that totally hasn't been brought up before (and totally ignores that part where Nintendo makes no money/loses money from not having product on shelves).

This isn't true. The "scarcity" of them has convinced most people to buy them immediately upon release and pre-order rather than waiting to see which ones interest them.

They profit more off of less people buying all the stock instantly than they would if there was ample stock on shelves and online and more people were picking them up at their leisure.

There is certainly someone at NOA who has run these numbers and determined this to be the case.

Just look how the shelves of any toys r us or target are flooded with Sonic, Toon Link, Megaman, and the other common figures. They don't sell if they're widely available.There's no rush to buy everything like there is when its "rare".

kirby_fox

Banned
Well nothing has yet. Unless you can find a cause for a class action lawsuit or something else that hurts their wallets, Nintendo is going to keep ignoring the West.

We are an afterthought to them.

I get you feel jaded because this is really frustrating. I feel it too because I have nothing preordered that I want and I can't sit on the computer for hours to see stock last all of 5 minutes.

But the only change we can make is to not buy from scalpers. If they got stuck with the stock they were with, and no one was paying the ridiculous prices then they would start to give up. Nintendo I think could supply 4X as much as they are and we would still have this problem, because people are making serious bank on these and more and more are starting to hop on the bandwagon of trying to sell them.

I don't think there's an easy solution to this problem. Demand is increasing and it's hard to tell if supply is staying the same or decreasing because of where demand is.

Yeah, their Twitter proves they have no shame.

Since they don't tend to reply back on Twitter, I doubt anyone actually maintains it and that they're probably busy working on what's supposed to be tweeted out weeks/months from now.

Though I'd love to see #MakeMoreAmiibo trending. I bet that would get a response at the least.

Shauni

I distinctly remember someone at Nintendo talking about cards as a potential solution for people who weren't able to get their hands on harder to find Amiibos, but obviously the only Amiibo cards right now are those Animal Crossing cards which serve a very different purpose.

I think it's fair to say they can double as a potential solution, bu I think what Joe is saying is probably the main reason for the card strategy.

Zonic

Gives all the fucks
*waits patiently for chance to pre-order Robin, Lucina, & Splatoon 3-pack at GameStop with credit*

Draxal

The amiibo cards are really more for Japan (and plus Animal Crossing figures would be ridiculous). In Japan, the toys-to-life market just isn't there and amiibo isn't doing all that well there. Cards, on the other hand, are still huge so by putting the same functionality in a card, it opens the entire market up. As Iwata said, when they revealed amiibo, Japanese analysts, investors etc. claimed they were too big to catch on in Japan, and they are right.

And Europe to a lesser extent, so far it seems to be America (Canada included for this) that's totally dominating it.

Austraila's also very supply starved, but their total population is just so small that it doesn't make a dent.

Exile20

Nintendo doesnt really give a damn about the fans. Just look at the exclusives. Now some people understand the hell third parties went through with this company. I remember Pete Hines grilled Nintendo a new one about their shitty communication skills.

Lot of publishers do store exclusives.

Ibuki

Banned
*waits patiently for chance to pre-order Robin, Lucina, & Splatoon 3-pack at GameStop with credit*

Unless they change their mind later, it looks like in store preorders won't be happening. Hopefully online preorders still happen.

Zonic

Gives all the fucks
Unless they change their mind later, it looks like in store preorders won't be happening. Hopefully online preorders still happen.
Darn. Least I was able to get Ness via Web In-Store.

Not gonna try for Pac-Man or Wario since I'm sure they won't be hard to find (i.e people know who they are in comparison to Fire Emblem).

rjinaz

On amazon, all the little amiibo wave 4 smash icons lined up on any given official amiibo amazon page have turned solid as opposed to be greyed out (like the splatoon ones are now) Not sure if it means anything but I noticed the change.

EDIT: Nevermind. Seems to have to do with categorization is all. Though I could have sworn they were grayed out previously. Maybe they just correctly moved them.

Ibuki

Banned
Darn. Least I was able to get Ness via Web In-Store.

Not gonna try for Pac-Man or Wario since I'm sure they won't be hard to find (i.e people know who they are in comparison to Fire Emblem).

Lucina and Robin are the only ones left that I'm dying to get. I still need Jiggly but if worst comes to worst I'll line up on release day like I did with Rosie.

L95

Darn, I was saving some instore credit I had for them... guess I can just pay off a few preorders I have there then.

Don't, and don't import either unless you're really okay with the money. It's not worth it in the end. Just get some sleep and make your peace. Don't lose sight of what's really going on, as cool as Amiibos are they are, in a sense are just consumer trophies and you shouldn't need to hurt or stress yourself to get them.

I totally agree. No matter how invested, stressed and frustrated I've been all things Nintendo and chasing these 3 amigos down starting with Marth, personally... I wouldn't feel good knowing I paid someone who had better luck then I did, at ridiculous prices.

Zonic

Gives all the fucks
Lucina and Robin are the only ones left that I'm dying to get. I still need Jiggly but if worst comes to worst I'll line up on release day like I did with Rosie.
I actually got lucky with Rosalina & ordering her online. Even got two, one for me & one for a giveaway to show my appreciation for the community.

Thankfully, there's only 3 exclusives this time around & I got the one that I only cared for.

Maybe I'll aim for Amazon since I could slowly work up some credit & put it towards the pre-order since I wouldn't be charged until it shipped.

fernoca

In my case, since I wasn't able to preorder anyone; I'll try my luck on May 29. Then whatever I can't find, I'll get it on eBay or something through the following months.

Jigglypuff will be eBay for sure, since there are no Targets in here.

Ibuki

Banned
I actually got lucky with Rosalina & ordering her online. Even got two, one for me & one for a giveaway to show my appreciation for the community.

Thankfully, there's only 3 exclusives this time around & I got the one that I only cared for.

Maybe I'll aim for Amazon since I could slowly work up some credit & put it towards the pre-order since I wouldn't be charged until it shipped.

I'm hoping I can still snag a Jiggly online at some point between now and the release. If worst comes to worst I do have some rare trading fodder in case I don't get Lucina, Robin or Jigglypuff.

zulux21

The cards will be even worse as I wholeheartedly expect them to be blind packed.

I'm iffy either way... I mean on one hand if you blind packed them they would take up less room and you can get people to buy duplicates. on the other hand each card has to have a chip in it so it can function like an amiibo which means the cost to create the cards will be a lot higher than just normal cards which means compared to something like magic/pokemon that would be 4-5 bucks a pack for 10+ cards you could be looking at like $10 a pack for like 5 cards.

Pizza

I'm a little salty that the next set of Mario Kart costumes includes more rares, recently-sold-out, impossible to find, or unreleased characters

And I don't mean for me personally, I actually plan on trying to procure all those figures at some point, and I have Rosalina but for those kids/people who would potentially really like those costumes it's a huge hassle to get them at this point. Like, I'm waiting for preorders of the Japanese reprint of a toy of the guy from animal crossing.

Ibuki

Banned
I'm iffy either way... I mean on one hand if you blind packed them they would take up less room and you can get people to buy duplicates. on the other hand each card has to have a chip in it so it can function like an amiibo which means the cost to create the cards will be a lot higher than just normal cards which means compared to something like magic/pokemon that would be 4-5 bucks a pack for 10+ cards you could be looking at like $10 a pack for like 5 cards.

I already have an Amiibo problem. I can't imagine how bad I'm going to be when the Animal Crossing cards release.

Drago

I'm a little salty that the next set of Mario Kart costumes includes more rares, recently-sold-out, impossible to find, or unreleased characters
I was shocked when I saw they were adding a Villager costume. Just seems in bad taste when he's the rarest amiibo there is... he is getting reprinted in Japan though, I guess.

Pizza

I was shocked when I saw they were adding a Villager costume. Just seems in bad taste when he's the rarest amiibo there is... he is getting reprinted in Japan though, I guess.

And rosalina! I'm more mad for the people who will always have the costumes locked on their consoles because they didn't care enough about arbitrary toys to fight scalpers over being able to *preorder* them.

JoeM86

The idea of amiibo cards became public knowledge before the shortages were known, though. The theory was it would be Pokémon first, but seems Animal Crossing is the one to get it.

Shauni

I don't know if I'd ever bother with amiibo cards. I never have really gotten into card stuff before. Especially if they're blind packed.

zulux21

I don't know if I'd ever bother with amiibo cards. I never have really gotten into card stuff before. Especially if they're blind packed.

cards come in 4 rarities, common, uncommon, rare, unicorn.

each pack contains 3 commons, 1 uncommon and either a second uncommon, a rare or a unicorn.

the rarity lines up with the ammibo rarity. odds to get a second uncommon 80%, odds to get a rare 19.5% odds to get a unicorn .5% odds you will get over 100 mario cards before you get a single unicorn 99.99%

:p

That would be awesome if you can pick and choose instead of get blind packs. You'll only have to preorder 5 monts in advance though.

I don't know if you would have as many issues. first off they aren't nearly as collectable. I can grab an amiibo and easily show it off, not so much with a card. second they are cheaper and easier to mass produce and take up less room in general so if you have to sit on product for a bit it's not a big deal. thus nintendo could easily make 5-10 times as many cards per wave to start with compared to amiibo.

Zonic

Gives all the fucks
You KNOW the AC cards will be blind packs. Pokemon cards have always been blind buys, & I'm sure with how many they plan to make (I think one was numbered 90-something), they'll make more money having people buy blind packs compared to "you get these 5 in this pack".

Unless they make theme packs, i.e characters, furniture, etc. Maybe they'll go the e-reader card route & flat-out tell you the pack since the 3DS game tied to it will require you to use specific cards.

Shauni

I'll wait and see how they managed it with the House Designer game. I actually dig the idea of designing the houses like that, but I'm just not going to get sucked into doing blind packs and shit like that. That stuff is just such a money-hole. If they have like packs of just like "This Villager along with their respective stuff with some random other stuff", maybe.

Neoxon

I got a notification from NowInStock for Robin & Lucina at Amazon. Is it acting up or is it really happening?

EDIT: Checked Amazon, still nothing for now. Looks like it was just acting up, false alarm. ;_;

zulux21

You KNOW the AC cards will be blind packs. Pokemon cards have always been blind buys, & I'm sure with how many they plan to make (I think one was numbered 90-something), they'll make more money having people buy blind packs compared to "you get these 5 in this pack".

actually with the animal crossing cards did they confirm that they will work like amiibos again in the sense that they will have a chip in them and save data and what not? I know that is how actual amiibo cards would have to work to function like an amiibo, but they could totally have animal crossing cards just have a code to scan on the back of the card via camera like they have done in the past with cards, and could just have it part of their amiibo line since it's physical add on content.

Shauni

cards come in 4 rarities, common, uncommon, rare, unicorn.

each pack contains 3 commons, 1 uncommon and either a second uncommon, a rare or a unicorn.

the rarity lines up with the ammibo rarity. odds to get a second uncommon 80%, odds to get a rare 19.5% odds to get a unicorn .5% odds you will get over 100 mario cards before you get a single unicorn 99.99%

Lol, well I guess when you break it down like that :p

Eh, it's just not the same for me. Even if I miss an amiibo, I still know what I was aimming for and missed. I've never cared much for the idea of picking up a pack of cards without the slightest cool of what you could get. I know that's part of the appeal of it for those interested, but it's not for me.

JoeM86

actually with the animal crossing cards did they confirm that they will work like amiibos again in the sense that they will have a chip in them and save data and what not? I know that is how actual amiibo cards would have to work to function like an amiibo, but they could totally have animal crossing cards just have a code to scan on the back of the card via camera like they have done in the past with cards, and could just have it part of their amiibo line since it's physical add on content.

amiibo line is NFC, not physical add on content.

Besides, they said outright that this is NFC.

zulux21

amiibo line is NFC, not physical add on content.

Besides, they said outright that this is NFC.

actually it's both..
an amiibo is physical add on content (which for some works on multiple games) that uses NFC to communicate with the 3ds or wiiu in order to unlock that add on content that is tied to the physical toy.

thanks for the response though, I don't care about animal crossing so I didn't pay attention to the announcement to see if the cards still had the chip in them for NFC use or not.

Lol, well I guess when you break it down like that :p

Eh, it's just not the same for me. Even if I miss an amiibo, I still know what I was aimming for and missed. I've never cared much for the idea of picking up a pack of cards without the slightest cool of what you could get. I know that's part of the appeal of it for those interested, but it's not for me.

with digital packs that I earn I can enjoy opening random packs that I don't have to pay for. in the real world if there are only a few cards I want, screw random I will just buy single cards from other people as it's a huge waste of money doing it randomly.

I got a notification from NowInStock for Robin & Lucina at Amazon. Is it acting up or is it really happening?

EDIT: Checked Amazon, still nothing for now. Looks like it was just acting up, false alarm. ;_;

For whatever reason nowinstock has been farily unreliable for this wave of amiibos.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom