• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Amiibo Thread 6 | We're up all night to get salty

Status
Not open for further replies.

GeekComplex

Neo Member
Umm what? Son of a ...he better come back. He's the one I've wanted the most. Really hope they bring out more. Don't want to have to pay more than $30.

Well, there's a chance in hell I suppose.
Ness is still GS Exclusive and will likely be indefinitely.
If it's handled like Shulk, your options will be to check GS obsessively and hope they get one or a couple in store for purchase, or to get one from another seller, and likely pay more than your ideal price.

Shauni

Yeah, Ness never went up online, it was only WIS that you were able to get him. I'm sure they'll be an online opening at some point, though who knows how fast it'll go.

D

Diggeh

Unconfirmed Member
Preorders for W4 already started?
Someone preorder multiple Ness' in case I can't. Lol. I'll love you forever.

nAP2mNy.gif

//ARCANUM

I think I just might give up on trying to get amiibos when they go on preorder and just give in to paying scalpers once the prices are down to about $30. Unless anyone wants to invite me to the Line group of course ;)

Hey Amiibros. Here is my plea!

So I was in class and I had no chance of getting Ness. I have all the Smash ones so far and I got all the new ones secured minus Ness and JigglyPuff (I will wait in line 5/29 for that one). I can see no way of getting Ness without paying a scalper or the kindness of a Gaffer.

I am hoping my past helping of Gaffers with the same thing will bring me luck. I can provide references!

Anyways I would love a Ness for cost and shipping but I know that is unlikely.

I do have a Gold Mario mint in box that I wanted to keep but it is not my main collection.
I also have the Splatoon 3 pack ordered and again it is not my main collection so I could work something out with it.

Please let me know if you can assist through PM. Thank you for your consideration.

Sincerely
Nick

GeekComplex

Neo Member
No. The report came from a toys are us representative. It's not polygon's fault that toys are us lied to them. It's TRS's fault.

I take a different stance here.
As Polygon are still one of maybe half a dozen frequented game sites, they have an obligation to pick and choose what they report on, and be ABSOLUTELY SURE their sources are trustworthy, otherwise give us the disclaimer that they may not be.
I stayed up specifically because they've grown a reputation for talking out of their asses and not owning up to the backlash.
It's a shared responsibility, because had Polygon opted not to report, nobody would have been potentially misled.
If it was a redditor, and they were totally wrong, we'd blame them right? So why does it being Polygon change a damn thing?

Skiesofwonder

Walruses, camels, bears, rabbits, tigers and badgers.
Amiibo retail hunting isn't really fun anymore. I feel like there is now a very tiny chance of coming across any of the rare (or even non-common) amiibos. I guess things will pick up again in late May when Wave 4/Splatoon hits.

GeekComplex

Neo Member
Amiibo retail hunting isn't really fun anymore. I feel like there is now a very tiny chance of coming across any of the rare (or even non-common) amiibos. I guess things will pick up again in late May when Wave 4/Splatoon hits.

Given my limited time in the Amiibo game, my choice is gonna be to make retail hunts a more passive chore, at least until the holidays. By then we will have so many different Amiibo it will be a genuine surprise to find a couple certain ones here and there.

I like the attitude here. We should make the best of this situation by UNITE UP and trading within from what we each are able to get via preorders and on launch day. Together we can get what each needs!

That's how I got Goldie.

The Amiibo situation has gotten so bad, even Forbes is reporting on it. Take notice, Nintendo!

http://www.forbes.com/sites/insertcoin/2015/04/04/nintendo-needs-to-get-its-amiibo-act-together/

Hopefully Nintendo will figure out a way to cope with stumbling into success yet again. But they need to do so quickly before the fad becomes too tiresome for fans to keep enjoying. Right now, Amiibo acquisition isn’t a hobby, it feels more like a job, and it’s only a matter of time before frustration overrides desire.

I'm already well beyond that. I own waves 1-3 but I'm done hunting now after the experience of the last two days. It's just not worth it.

Shauni

Honestly, I know this won't be all that popular to say here, especially now in the wake of how poorly the first few days and how cranky everyone is about it, but I really don't think the amiibo situation as a whole has been handled that badly. I know, I know, the experiences are horrible in search for certain figures (as lucky as I've been, even I didn't manage to get Captain Falcon), but for the most part, the majority of amiibos have been pretty widely available. Even some that started out hard to obtain have become common (Sonic, Mega Man, Toon Link, Shiek, etc).

It's not to say I think Nintendo doesn't deserve some shit or anything, but man, it just feels so overblown when you zoom out and realize the problem with amiibos is really in a relatively few amount.

Amiibro

Good afternoon everyone, I lucked out and got in on the web in stores for W4 but I have missed out on Greninja and Jigglypuff.

Anyone still have an extra ordered and is willing to trade? I have a Pit and Rosalina up for grabs. Send me a PM if you are willing to work something out.

Thanks,

GeekComplex

Neo Member
Hopefully this gets their attention. A negative story like this from a place like Forbes can't go unnoticed by Nintendo to a small degree.

Thing is, while it's "negative" press, it's doing nothing to impact the potential and inevitable sales of Amiibo. I will always believe Nintendo are losing out overall by not producing enough Amiibo to meet demand, but at the end of the day the Forbes article isn't gonna stop anyone who's this deep in from buying, the actual negative experience already has, however.

Vena

Honestly, I know this won't be all that popular to say here, especially now in the wake of how poorly the first few days and how cranky everyone is about it, but I really don't think the amiibo situation as a whole has been handled that badly. I know, I know, the experiences are horrible in search for certain figures (as lucky as I've been, even I didn't manage to get Captain Falcon), but for the most part, the majority of amiibos have been pretty widely available. Even some that started out hard to obtain have become common (Sonic, Mega Man, Toon Link, Shiek, etc).

It's not to say I think Nintendo doesn't deserve some shit or anything, but man, it just feels so overblown when you zoom out and realize the problem with amiibos is really in a relatively few amount.

Nah, I think I agree with you. Aside from a couple of Amiibos, I've been able to get everything I've wanted simply by patiently waiting and them getting restocked here or there or somewhere.

Costia

I hope this will be the case in the future as well, but currently the entire wave 4 of Amiibos is unavailable anywhere.

Curler

Unconfirmed Member
Hopefully this gets their attention. A negative story like this from a place like Forbes can't go unnoticed by Nintendo to a small degree.

*nods* Hopefully... Many Japanese companies are not very good with international business, so when such places are reporting things like this... yeah, you've done bad :/

Drago

I hope this will be the case in the future as well, but currently the entire wave 4 of Amiibos is unavailable anywhere.
At the very least, I believe Wario, Charizard, and Pac-Man will be relatively easy to get once they're actually out on store shelves. Preorders are selling out like mad for them primarily because of the rush, I assume. Robin, Lucina, and the exclusives are definitely gonna be hard to obtain though, no doubt.

I wonder about Splatoon though. The 3 pack was gone damn quickly at Best Buy (not sure if preorders went up anywhere else), not sure about the standalone Boy and Girl amiibos though. Being a new and unknown IP to most may make those characters easier to get.

Shauni

Well, yeah, as of now all the preorders are gone. But I'm thinking more long term. Even if they aren't readily available now or in the beginning, I fully expect by mid-June to early July we'll see plenty of Charizards, Pacmans and probably Warios.

To me, the problem has always existed with the more niche characters. And that does make up a decent amount of the Smash line, admittedly, but when you look beyond that there's been little issue. I think at this point, for example, you can find just about any of the Super Mario Line (including the once rare Toad) without any problems.

It sucks ass for those who are either bigger fans of those niche characters or want those figures simply because they rarely get figures, definitely. And yes, Nintendo deserves the criticism for that. I guess what I'm trying to say, though, is that objectively speaking, I feel like we focus way too much on that whenever it comes to amiibos and make the whole situation seem a lot worse than it is, even if it's not a good situation.

Nah, I think I agree with you. Aside from a couple of Amiibos, I've been able to get everything I've wanted simply by patiently waiting and them getting restocked here or there or somewhere.

Pretty much my experience, too. I didn't get my Shiek at first, but after a little while, she was easy to find.

by few you mean half?

Just counting on amazon's selection I would say 15 out of 35 are readily available.

I just want ness and I'm out. How GS handled it is beyond bullshit.

Where's the twitter campaign(s) at? Where's the self-righteous boycotting?

Maitiú

for the most part, the majority of amiibos have been pretty widely available.

Then Wave 4 happened. Ness. Jigglypuff. Greninja. You think those will be restocked? Robin, Lucina, those are both destined to be rare immediately and permanently as well, with most people never seeing one in person, due to the longer time it takes to make one, which then limits how many can be made within their few weeks of production before Nintendo has to move on to get started on the next one. So that's 5 out of 8 this round that are destined to be ebay exclusives.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom