• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Amiibo Thread 6 | We're up all night to get salty

Status
Not open for further replies.
Maitiú;158839591 said:
Then Wave 4 happened. Ness. Jigglypuff. Greninja. You think those will be restocked? Robin, Lucina, those are both destined to be rare immediately and permanently as well, with most people never seeing one in person, due to the longer time it takes to make one, which then limits how many can be made within their few weeks of production before Nintendo has to move on to get started on the next one. So that's 5 out of 8 this round that are destined to be ebay exclusives.

That's actually consistent. A little less than half will be readily available.

LostAnkh

Alright, Amazon! Where my Amiibo preorders at?!
bUR789q.gif
"I've got a bone to pick with you"

HardRojo

Can't wait till my friend, who owns an independent store here in Peru, is notified about the exact date he'll receive wave 4 amiibo. I already asked him to reserve a complete set for me and will do the same for future waves. Seeing as how fast pre-orders usually sell out in other regions, I'm actually relieved I don't have to worry too much now.

Costia

Well, yeah, as of now all the preorders are gone. But I'm thinking more long term. Even if they aren't readily available now or in the beginning, I fully expect by mid-June to early July we'll see plenty of Charizards, Pacmans and probably Warios.

To me, the problem has always existed with the more niche characters. And that does make up a decent amount of the Smash line, admittedly, but when you look beyond that there's been little issue. I think at this point, for example, you can find just about any of the Super Mario Line (including the once rare Toad) without any problems.

It sucks ass for those who are either bigger fans of those niche characters or want those figures simply because they rarely get figures, definitely. And yes, Nintendo deserves the criticism for that. I guess what I'm trying to say, though, is that objectively speaking, I feel like we focus way too much on that whenever it comes to amiibos and make the whole situation seem a lot worse than it is, even if it's not a good situation.

Pretty much my experience, too. I didn't get my Shiek at first, but after a little while, she was easy to find.

I am mostly worried about yarn Yoshi. He isn't a niche character, but i have a feeling he is going to be hard to find.

Shauni

by few you mean half?

Just counting on amazon's selection I would say 15 out of 35 are readily available.

Eh, that number is a bit skewed since it includes Wave 4 and the Splatoon stuff, and who knows how readily they will be available from retailers in generally (Charizard, Wario, and Pac will probably be pretty common, Lucina & Robin probably won't, and the Splatoon ones are up in the air). As well as uncommon figures from Wave 1 & 2 that were easy to find for a long time but got phased out gradually for newer wave such as Samus, Fox, and Diddy.

I don't know, I stand by what I said. I'm not trying to paint it as a good-great situation by any means, but I honestly don't think it's as bad as many others.

Curler

Unconfirmed Member
Yeah, I'm tired of these blogs constantly being posted as news stories.

Well it's still something. I still think there's some relevance with the name "Forbes" behind it as well. This is also the first time I can recall on several large websites talking about how terrible the day went, showing just how extreme things got.

dallow_bg

nods at old men
Well it's still something. I still think there's some relevance with the name "Forbes" behind it as well. This is also the first time I can recall on several large websites talking about how terrible the day went, showing just how extreme things got.

I am glad more of that is being exposed.

Shauni

Maitiú;158840446 said:
Looking back at Wave 2 and 3, I now see you're right. The majority of amiibo, other than wave 1, has never been remotely close to readily available.

Or the Super Mario Line, where every amiibo within has been readily available at one point outside the Gold Mario variant.

But I can see where this is headed, so I'm just going to drop out of it. Obviously, I'm in the minority around here in thinking the way I am.

Maitiú;158840446 said:
Looking back at Wave 2 and 3, I now see you're right. The majority of amiibo, other than wave 1, has never been remotely close to readily available.

Seriously? I was able to preorder almost the entire 3rd Wave with ease, weeks after said preorders began. It was only after the second half of Wave 2 that people realized how rare many of them were going to be, causing them to be purchased in droves.

spookyfish

I'm already well beyond that. I own waves 1-3 but I'm done hunting now after the experience of the last two days. It's just not worth it.

I just kinda stumbled upon the Spaltoon "wave" yesterday, but I'm almost there with you. I have complete waves 1-3, but I'm about a hair's breadth from quitting altogether. Used to be just certain ones were hard to secure. With the advent of Wave 4, it seems they're ALL hard to secure.

Maitiú

Or the Super Mario Line, where every amiibo within has been readily available at one point outside the Gold Mario variant.

But I can see where this is headed, so I'm just going to drop out of it. Obviously, I'm in the minority around here in thinking the way I am.

The mario line is not appealing in either their design or their execution, so they don't matter to me, which I think is the common sentiment outside of Toad (and gold Mario for other reasons). Similarly, of the Wave 4, Wario and Charizard don't matter to me, and those are going to be the only ones, along with Pacman, that Nintendo focused on making readily available.

Curler

Unconfirmed Member
Maitiú;158840446 said:

I still can't believe for Wave 1 that I just walked into TRU when they opened and got the whole Wave... Everyone else there was waiting for Smash or Pokemon to get their pre-order Charizard plush. Only a couple other common Amiibos were purchased and that was it. They had a bit of a hard time trying to find Villager in the boxes, since they only got 4-5 Villagers, Marths, WFTs. I waited, as I heard he might be a rare one. Glad I did...

I figured Amiibos would get popular but NOT to this extent! When I heard about the Holy Trinity selling like hotcakes, I pre-ordered all of Wave 2 immediately at GS and then the same for Wave 3.

Shauni

Maitiú;158841850 said:
The mario line is not appealing in either their design or their execution, so they don't matter to me, which I think is the common sentiment outside of Toad (and gold Mario for other reasons). Similarly, of the Wave 4, Wario and Charizard don't matter to me, and those are going to be the only ones, along with Pacman, that Nintendo focused on making readily available.

Well, as I said before, what I'm saying isn't about personal preference, it's about looking at the situation more objectively. But, as mentioned, I'm not going to get into a big thing about it. I know I'm in the minority here and all, and I understand everyone is particularly cranky with how Wave 4 has started off.

Skiesofwonder

Walruses, camels, bears, rabbits, tigers and badgers.
Given my limited time in the Amiibo game, my choice is gonna be to make retail hunts a more passive chore, at least until the holidays. By then we will have so many different Amiibo it will be a genuine surprise to find a couple certain ones here and there.

It will be too late by then I think. At that time Nintendo will have moved onto another series of Amiibos I'm sure, and sightings of the smash bros line in-store will become a thing of legend... outside of the very commons.

TheGrue

I still can't believe for Wave 1 that I just walked into TRU when they opened and got the whole Wave... Everyone else there was waiting for Smash or Pokemon to get their pre-order Charizard plush. Only a couple other common Amiibos were purchased and that was it. They had a bit of a hard time trying to find Villager in the boxes, since they only got 4-5 Villagers, Marths, WFTs. I waited, as I heard he might be a rare one. Glad I did...

I figured Amiibos would get popular but NOT to this extent! When I heard about the Holy Trinity selling like hotcakes, I pre-ordered all of Wave 2 immediately at GS and then the same for Wave 3.

I pre-ordered Wave 1 and 2 through Amazon with no issues (well, actually, I guess Amazon didn't have a few of the figures, so I pre-ordered some from Gamestop, but the point stands that it was easy to do). People were still dismissing them at that point, though, and the craze hadn't quite started. Basically, it was once Wave 2 came out and people saw how hard it was to get some of those that things started to turn dire.

GeekComplex

Neo Member
It will be too late by then I think. At that time Nintendo will have moved onto another series of Amiibos I'm sure, and sightings of the smash bros line in-store will become a thing of legend... outside of the very commons.

I don't totally disagree, but I'm also taking for a given that we will eventually see a formal "2nd edition" style thing where they're the same Amiibo as Wave 1-6 but with different model numbers to make a slight distinction.

Chindogg

I argue that it's not that supply is that constrained, but scalpers have really caught onto the potential money to be made and are outbuying the actual customers. I've seen scalpers go into stores and leave with full boxes of amiibos.

Nintendo could definitely release more amiibos, but honestly I don't know how they can catch up with demand. Wave 1 wasn't bad because scalpers weren't wise to the situation yet. Now every wave's a constant fight against these scumbags.

Pizza

If the amiibo situation isn't any better by later this year/next year and I can't get Lucas, mewtwo, and Wonder Red I'll throw a tantrum. Maybe ill even spill my Legos.

Curler

Unconfirmed Member
Basically, it was once Wave 2 came out and people saw how hard it was to get some of those that things started to turn dire.

Scalpers also apparently found out how it was easy money to make by driving around and buying up entire stocks of them -_- Whenever this gets compared to Beanie Baby collecting (which I was a part of because I genuinely LIKED them), I honestly don't recall such scalping happening. Many people mostly bought a lot of the bears and would more or less sit on them as an investment, assuming they would shoot up in value LATER. In this case, people are just shoving loads of Amiibos online to make money immediately. Different economic times too I guess, but still. That's why I see them as VERY different things.

rjinaz

The people that don't think amiibo are handled poorly are usually those that only want specific ones or the most popular characters. "Well I got Mario and Donkey Kong easily enough". Problem is, many of us are going for complete sets. Wave 3 was easier to get if you knew well enough to preorder ahead of time, good luck if you didn't though. Some were near impossible even then. Wave 4 though is looking to be a complete mess for about half of the figures. Things keep getting worse, not better. I think wave 5 they'll just sell them directly on ebay is my guess.

Drago

If the amiibo situation isn't any better by later this year/next year and I can't get Lucas, mewtwo, and Wonder Red I'll throw a tantrum. Maybe ill even spill my Legos.
Lucas is the one amiibo I'd be willing to spend scalper prices on.

I need him.

I argue that it's not that supply is that constrained, but scalpers have really caught onto the potential money to be made and are outbuying the actual customers. I've seen scalpers go into stores and leave with full boxes of amiibos.

Nintendo could definitely release more amiibos, but honestly I don't know how they can catch up with demand. Wave 1 wasn't bad because scalpers weren't wise to the situation yet. Now every wave's a constant fight against these scumbags.
I think this is really the real problem here. I just want one of each, but to see people getting multiples strictly to sell at a much higher price really boils my blood. I've been really lucky for the most part but now scalpers are ensuring that doesn't last. I almost gave in this morning for the three characters I missed in all the hoopla.

Maitiú

Well, as I said before, what I'm saying isn't about personal preference, it's about looking at the situation more objectively. But, as mentioned, I'm not going to get into a big thing about it. I know I'm in the minority here and all, and I understand everyone is particularly cranky with how Wave 4 has started off.

No worries, this is just a discussion. I could look at it the way you do, but I find that perspective irrelevant to our self-interest, which is the interest of any consumer. The supply ball is continually being dropped when it matters. Wait, no, saying it's been merely dropped is too nice.

rjinaz

Might as well just GIVE them to the scalpers at this point and cut a deal with them!

Would probably keep the costs down since the 3rd party market would be oversaturated. It might actually put an end to the amiibo scalping problem. Who is going to bother selling them if the going price is even $20 for an amiibo? After ebay fees and shipping you'll break even.

GeekComplex

Neo Member

Would Nintendo ever make Mewtwo a thing for their replacement to Club Nintendo?
Not saying it's a great idea, but it'd avoid the scalper thing, and given he's DLC...
Just seems like it could be a thing. Lucas too.

Curler

Unconfirmed Member
Lucas is the one amiibo I'd be willing to spend scalper prices on.

I need him.

I feel that way about Robin and Lucina. FE:A was one of the rare games that REALLY consumed me for a few months. I was a newcomer to FE and this one looked amazing already, and just blew away my expectations. They're also both characters I use a lot when I play Smash.

So I can totally relate with everyone feeling the same away about these two. Screw everyone that's trying to take our passion away :(

Curler

Unconfirmed Member
Hmmm so if Boy Inkling came back (for like, 2 seconds) and the listing is still at "Coming Soon" maybe there IS a chance at other orders...

Maitiú

Would probably keep the costs down since the 3rd party market would be oversaturated. It might actually put an end to the amiibo scalping problem. Who is going to bother selling them if the going price is even $20 for an amiibo? After ebay fees and shipping you'll break even.

In this scenario, the skillful ebay sellers know how to control the market by selling only a few at a time in order to exploit the perception of scarcity as long as they possibly can and reap the buyer's willingness to buy at an ever inflated price. It would only make everyone a loser.

rjinaz

Maitiú;158844493 said:
In this scenario, the skillful ebay sellers know how to control the market by selling only a few at a time in order to exploit the perception of scarcity as long as they possibly can and reap the buyer's willingness to buy at an ever inflated price. It would only make everyone a loser.

I wasn't actually being serious, but entertaining this, you would assume that everybody would be playing the market the same way. It would depend on how Nintendo distributed them and to whom. If you distribute to just a few sellers then yes. If you had to assign up and literally thousands of sellers had access then this probably wouldn't happen especially if each seller was only given a limited amount to sell. Not that Nintendo would in a million years do this anyway.

Costia

https://mobile.twitter.com/amiibo_tracker

Amiibo Tracker says 700+ Boy Inkling incoming. Preorder button might have been premature on BBs part. Keep checking!

From the reddit page FAQ:
First and foremost, there is a number placed at the end of each tweet. This number is just a number to make each new tweet somewhat unique. This allows me to fly under Twitter's spam radar. Please ignore this number. It is not significant to you at all.
The 785 in the tweet is a meaningless number

Maitiú

I wasn't actually being serious, but entertaining this, you would assume that everybody would be playing the market the same way. It would depend on how Nintendo distributed them and to whom. If you distribute to just a few sellers then yes. If you had to assign up and literally thousands of sellers had access then this probably wouldn't happen especially if each seller was only given a limited amount to sell. Not that Nintendo would in a million years do this anyway.

Right, no I understand neither of us thought this was possible. And I mentioned "skillful" ebay sellers for a reason. Yeah, the amateurs looking for a quick buck would sell theirs all at once, and prices would drop a bit in the beginning, but others, even if they only have so much as one to sell, would wait it out until the amateurs clear out so they could have more control over the market.

Skiesofwonder

Walruses, camels, bears, rabbits, tigers and badgers.
I don't totally disagree, but I'm also taking for a given that we will eventually see a formal "2nd edition" style thing where they're the same Amiibo as Wave 1-6 but with different model numbers to make a slight distinction.

That would be awesome.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom