• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Amiibo Thread 6 | We're up all night to get salty

Status
Not open for further replies.
What is their normal shipping rate? They may be my last option for NA Wave Amiibo.

I got the Japanese versions of Rosalina and Lucario. Ended up being 20 bucks each plus $16.90 shipping (FedEx Economy). Pretty pricy, but I'm not sure what the difference would be for the NA versions. The shipping cost was the total for both, not $16.90 each.

bigkurz

Banned
The only amiibo I truly feel I NEED is dr mario. Love mario, love Nintendo, and I'm a pediatrician. I've gotta get my hands on it. If I miss out I know I'm gonna pay a premium. Or have to trade my extra little Mac or shulk.

Akim

Banned
The only amiibo I truly feel I NEED is dr mario. Love mario, love Nintendo, and I'm a pediatrician. I've gotta get my hands on it. If I miss out I know I'm gonna pay a premium. Or have to trade my extra little Mac or shulk.

it's mario, i wouldn't worry

I got the Japanese versions of Rosalina and Lucario. Ended up being 20 bucks each plus $16.90 shipping (FedEx Economy). Pretty pricy, but I'm not sure what the difference would be for the NA versions. The shipping cost was the total for both, not $16.90 each.

Not bad honestly, considering ebay prices.

unless its exclusive i wouldn't worry to much
but if its exclusive, welp

I did it this time and am henceforth going to follow this strategy: If a store has an exclusive and you can get it, then get it even if you don't want it. Save that exclusive for future trades. On a whim I nabbed a Ness on the chance I missed Greninja and sure enough, TRU went live during the 2 hour window I was napping. So I hope to trade my Ness for a Greninja. If you can get an extra Greninja, do it and bank it for the future. You won't have a problem trading it.

Plinko

Wildcard berths that can't beat teams without a winning record should have homefield advantage
So preorders go up on the 25th? All I want is Ganondorf, and I have a feeling he might be rare. Or worse, an exclusive.

Every Zelda character has been a common so far.

Drago

So preorders go up on the 25th? All I want is Ganondorf, and I have a feeling he might be rare. Or worse, an exclusive.
If Shiek ended up being common, Ganondorf will absolutely be common too. I would not worry. Zelda character = easy to find.

...unless he ends up as an exclusive. Worst case scenario.

Shauni

Every Zelda character has been a common so far.

Yeah, I don't know why anyone is expecting Ganondorf to be rare or exclusive. I guess anything is possible, but I highly doubt it.

And what's this 25th thing coming about? First I've heard anything about Wave 5/6 preorders.

IntelliHeath

As in "Heathcliff"
There's no chance they'll produce more in the future?

I don't really want to get people's hope high but I think there is good chance that they are going to produce more Ness Amiibo..

If they did for Shulk Amiibo, then it's likely that they would do same for Ness'. Second shipment of Shulk is coming out next month, right?

goldenpp72

I don't really want to get people's hope high but I think there is good chance that they are going to produce more Ness Amiibo..

If they did for Shulk Amiibo, then it's likely that they would do same for Ness'. Second shipment of Shulk is coming out next month, right?

Didn't they only get a second batch of shulk because they couldn't fulfill all the preorders?

Vena

From a total logistical point of view and on the ideas of scale, I can't see how this starvation around Amiibos can continue after the Smash series runs its course after a handful of more waves. Why? Because right now the simple logistic of production on so many unique Amiibos is a total clusterfuck and there's simply no real scalability to Nintendo's production runs for various reasons. Moreover, the smash line and the various smaller guys inside are not tied to bundles or games, and as such don't have an "expensive supply" line that tends to put itself outside of the interesting returns for scalping.

But when, ultimately, you only have one small series on production runs, there's simply no longer the issue of having a set number of production lines making twenty different amiibo types. Effectively, look at the SM series, which is and was abundant to acquire (tying an amiibo to the bundle also effectively seems to push it out of the reach of scalpers). Similarly, I do not think the Splatoon line will actually be limited long-term due to in part the fact that its unique and only three units and is bundled with the game.

Now, conversely, the Yarn Yoshi is a bit of an anomaly as those are effectively crochets and made in a completely different way, but again the unit will be bundled and I wouldn't be surprised if it also is largely and openly available.

Opinions on my opinion?

I hope your opinion about the Yarn Yoshi is correct, because it's the only one I want! Unfortunately a lot of other fans feel the same way, so who knows.

Armaly

Nintendo should start doing mystery boxes for amiibos. 90% of the time you get a peach. 5% it's luigi and the 5% chance of it being a Shiek.

I feel like yarn yoshi is going to be atrociously limited and confined to some ancient store like a one day super sale of a resurrected block buster

Nintendo should start doing mystery boxes for amiibos. 90% of the time you get a peach. 5% it's luigi and the 5% chance of it being a Shiek.
I consider us lucky that they didn't do something like this from the start. Wave 1 will consist of this and that character. Now go out and buy every single one trying to get the one you want.

$__$

Crumbtiny

Really can't decide if i should pull the trigger on Shulk (either importing or just from a scalper). $40 seems so steep though and some have mentioned a reprint, but I'm not holding my breath. Or i guess there's always the chance of getting pre-ordering a potentially rare amiibo and trading.

Seems like the price will only get higher as time goes on too.

Has anyone just taken the plunge and plopped down extra moolah for the amiibo you wanted?

MADGAME

Really can't decide if i should pull the trigger on Shulk (either importing or just from a scalper). $40 seems so steep though and some have mentioned a reprint, but I'm not holding my breath. Or i guess there's always the chance of getting pre-ordering a potentially rare amiibo and trading.

Has anyone just taken the plunge and plopped down extra moolah for the amiibo you wanted?

I will have an extra NA Shulk to trade when the May batch ships, do you by chance have Meta?

Is Shulk the only amiibo you want? If so then I guess take the plunge but at least try to find one cheaper. I found one on Amazon for $32.

Im not sure if Nintendo is doing it (someone from retail could probably let us know) but presumably doing a Skylanders run sort of thing would be fine.

There's a few waves released throughout the year, and then later "waves" are actually made up of different assortments of figures. So for instance, lets say someone like...King Dedede, right? He was in Wave 3 and was out in the winter. Later on, a wave (maybe we'll say a Smash Wave 5) would have new characters (like Ganondorf, etc) and then a few more Dededes packed in.

Then, after all figures are out, another few waves come out with more of the shorter packed assorted characters. So presumably at this point, they could do a whole box full of stuff like the Holy Trinity, and such.

The 3 Pack idea is great if they spin that off into more than just Splatoon. I could see one of the Trinity, of Pit, Mac and Cap, one of DDD, Ike and Meta, and another of Rosie, Shulk and Lucario.

Mystery packs as a collector is a terrifying thing, but I wouldn't actually mind this for the cards. I'm really interested to see how they price the cards and how they're packaged. Perhaps a line of cards would be better than one single thing. Single Pack cards you can see for $2.99, 3 packs (all visible) for like $7.99, a blind package of say 8 for $12.99 and the packs you have a chance of finding rarer villagers/ uh items?

Im not sure if Nintendo is doing it (someone from retail could probably let us know) but presumably doing a Skylanders run sort of thing would be fine.

There's a few waves released throughout the year, and then later "waves" are actually made up of different assortments of figures. So for instance, lets say someone like...King Dedede, right? He was in Wave 3 and was out in the winter. Later on, a wave (maybe we'll say a Smash Wave 5) would have new characters (like Ganondorf, etc) and then a few more Dededes packed in.

Then, after all figures are out, another few waves come out with more of the shorter packed assorted characters. So presumably at this point, they could do a whole box full of stuff like the Holy Trinity, and such.

The 3 Pack idea is great if they spin that off into more than just Splatoon. I could see one of the Trinity, of Pit, Mac and Cap, one of DDD, Ike and Meta, and another of Rosie, Shulk and Lucario.
Anything would be better than what they're doing right now. They just don't seem to care at all with what's happening. They announce a new wave, make three of them store exclusives, produce an insignificant amount of said wave and exclusive, move onto the next wave.

Rinse and repeat.

It honestly baffles me at how bad this has gotten over little figurines. You have people staying up until 3AM, setting alarms for 7AM, lining up for over 3 hours at Gamestop, etc. What a sigh of relief it will be once they finish off the smash line.

D

Diggeh

Unconfirmed Member

With amiibo, every day is like trying to find a Kaos Trap for under $80 around Christmas.

ProfessorBonkle

Neo Member
Well GAF I got a nice easter surprise today: a NIB Villager :D My mom had apparently gotten it ages ago when it was still kind of rare but not quite a unicorn yet. To say I'm thrilled is an understatement! One less thing I have to worry about in the future now.

rjinaz

You can get a Japanese Shulk on amazon right now for under $32.

Edit: Beaten.

Maitiú

Nebraska Furniture Mart now has most of their amiibo at 8.99, with a limit of one per character per person.

The amiibos currently available @ $8.99:
Toon Link
Link
Sheik
Kirby
Bowser (smash and mario series)
Mario (smash)
Yoshi (mario series)
Luigi (mario series)
Pikachu
Peach (mario series)
Zelda
Diddy Kong

A few more discounted ones:
Peach (smash) - $6.99
Donkey Kong - $6.99
Yoshi (smash) $9.77

Rizific

What about cpt falcon, wft, villager, pit, meta Knight, rosalina, lucario, Dedede, Ike? I wouldn't hold my breath on a reprint of any body. This is Nintendo we are taking about here.

IntelliHeath

As in "Heathcliff"
What about cpt falcon, wft, villager, pit, meta Knight, rosalina, lucario, Dedede, Ike? I wouldn't hold my breath on a reprint of any body. This is Nintendo we are taking about here.

Number 1: those characters aren't GameStop's exclusive

Number 2: I'm pretty sure that GameStop made the deal with Nintendo for second shipments since GameStop probably covered the production costs, like they did with Xenoblade and Metroid Prime Trilogy.

Number 3: Unlike Target, TRU and Best Buy, GameStop is catering to video game enthusiasts, so they know their own businesses (sometime)

So right now we have Amiibo for Mario Party 10, Smash, Yoshi Wolly World and Splatoon.

What's next? Wasn't Mario Kart supposed to use the functionality too?

Jawmuncher

So right now we have Amiibo for Mario Party 10, Smash, Yoshi Wolly World and Splatoon.

What's next? Wasn't Mario Kart supposed to use the functionality too?

I'm ok with Mario Kart just being able to use anything. That needs to be a thing going forward. That and compatibility across multiple games. Hope Wooly World will use a regular yoshi as well.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom