• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Amiibo Thread 6 | We're up all night to get salty

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reddit has almost given me a heart attack when I saw: "Splatoon 3 pack on Amazon.ca" and "Inkling girl available on Amazon.ca". That brief sinking of the stomach wasn't fun, I want these ones more than any of the smash roster at the moment.

Curler

Unconfirmed Member
I'm still happy that more places, blogs or not, are showing the insanity of business the Nintendo is showing with these.

Jawmuncher

I'm still happy that more places, blogs or not, are showing the insanity of business the Nintendo is showing with these.

Yeah it's very troubling especially when our Skylander Rep here said those evened out in the same time frame we are currently in.

Curler

Unconfirmed Member
Yeah it's very troubling especially when our Skylander Rep here said those evened out in the same time frame we are currently in.

Wow that's pretty bad :/ I remember when I first sold Skylanders, they were pretty hot items (since you kind of NEED them for the game) and some elements/popular characters were hard to find. It did end up doing ok at the end, but I feel like nowadays stores have too MUCH of an abundance of Skylanders/Disney Infinity figures. GS has a huge 6x4 wall dedicated to them, and Best Buy/TRU have rntire aisles. Amiibos however, only have that spot in the lower corners of store space. Awesome presence.

Peltz

I just heard from Nintendo of America after emailing them last week:

Hello,

Thank you for writing. I apologize for the delay in our reply. I’m sorry to hear of your disappointment with the availability and distribution of amiibo, and would like you to know that we have documented and shared your concerns with the relevant departments here at Nintendo.

Additionally, I’d like to convey that we are aware of the popularity of amiibo and continually aim to always have a regular supply of amiibo in the marketplace. As stated previously, certain sold-out amiibo may return to your local retailer at a later stage. We apologize for any inconvenience you are experiencing now, and thank you in advance for your continued patience in this matter.

Sincerely,

Nintendo of America Inc.

My original message:

Buying amiibo has become an extremely frustrating experience. I would love to collect them, but it appears that the only people I can buy certain amiibo from are scalpers who charge exorbitant prices. I would not mind paying a premium if Nintendo manufactured amiibo for order directly from their website.

Please, re-examine your manufacturing and marketing strategies for amiibo. There's no reason why Nintendo should prefer that I give $50+ dollars to a scalper who got lucky and was able to preorder during a 10 minute window while I was at work rather than $20 or so directly to Nintendo for the convenience of a manufactured-to-order amiibo.

Nintendo is losing out on revenue and its customers are losing out on enjoying the amiibo experience as intended.

RootCause

How many of you believe Amiibo will still be as popular a year from now? I can see them turning the fans off if the shortages continues.

How many of you believe Amiibo will still be as popular a year from now? I can see them turning the fans off if the shortages continues.

I think the hype train will still be going strong a year from now, but Nintendo is undoubtedly burning more and more bridges as this shortage/exclusivity nonsense continues. Here's hoping they can get their act together soon.
But they probably won't.

D

Diggeh

Unconfirmed Member
I just heard from Nintendo of America after emailing them last week:

Rl74lrh.png

Jawmuncher

I think the hype train will still be going strong a year from now, but Nintendo is undoubtedly burning more and more bridges as this shortage/exclusivity nonsense continues. Here's hoping they can get their act together soon.
But they probably won't.

Once Smash is finally done I see things cooling a bit. Smash is just a big deal for obvious reasons and that is what's causing a lot right now. Had they started with Mario Party and worked forward things would have been a lot different. I know once smash is done i'll be pretty good in terms of not having to worry about amiibos.

Jackano

Questions of amiibo-GAF:
(I'm in Europe)

1/ I want Ganondorf, should I start to worry and check for amazon pre-orders instead of walking in my usual Micromania in June?
2/ I will buy Splatoon. Don't care much about amiibos, but maybe the inkling girl... Should I pre-order the bundle with the squid, which value would maybe rise, and pre-order the inkling girl all together if possible?

On related note, the amiibo war is starting to affect me. My twitter feed is full of people retwitting giveaways of amiibos. Start to look like spam!

Once Smash is finally done I see things cooling a bit. Smash is just a big deal for obvious reasons and that is what's causing a lot right now. Had they started with Mario Party and worked forward things would have been a lot different. I know once smash is done i'll be pretty good in terms of not having to worry about amiibos.

True. I work retail and we'll usually have a line when a new batch of Smash amiibo releases. The day that the Mario Party amiibo came out? Not a soul to be seen. Same thing happened when the MP Mario amiibo released, too.

I kinda hope the same thing happens when those Yoshi plush ones come out because I desperately want one of those...

goldenpp72

True. I work retail and we'll usually have a line when a new batch of Smash amiibo releases. The day that the Mario Party amiibo came out? Not a soul to be seen. Same thing happened when the MP Mario amiibo released, too.

I kinda hope the same thing happens when those Yoshi plush ones come out because I desperately want one of those...

The thing is, the MP figures were just the same characters people already got for Smash, so of course there wasn't a huge hoopla for those. Meanwhile the only unique figure (toad) is pretty hard to come by in comparison. There is definitely a 'saturation' point for each figure, Nintendo is just really bad at finding the right point.

I can't help but feel Amazon US is just biding their time. Waiting for us to lower our guard over the next few weeks. And then, when we least expect it... BAM, PREORDERS! GONE IN SECONDS!! NO ROBIN FOR YOU!!

20 dollars for a amiibo is that worth it?
K..went ahead and did it..I guess I Can always cancel it..it says it comes out on April 24th but it doesnt come out here in the US til May 29th so Im confused

Next few phases come out in NA later then other places.

Also imo Wario will be one of the commons of this coming phase.

MicH

K..went ahead and did it..I guess I Can always cancel it..it says it comes out on April 24th but it doesnt come out here in the US til May 29th so Im confused
Wave 4 (not including Jigglypuff and Greninja) comes out on April 24th in Europe

rjinaz

I can't help but feel Amazon US is just biding their time. Waiting for us to lower our guard over the next few weeks. And then, when we least expect it... BAM, PREORDERS! GONE IN SECONDS!! NO ROBIN FOR YOU!!

They are actually watching this thread. They are going to wait until people stop posting about it completely then put it up. Maximum trolling.

weevles

I think Wario will be common and available in store, but I can understand people wanting to secure their favorites now rather than sweat it out until release. I'm only concerned about the FE and exclusive figs as those are pretty much guaranteed rare.

Frankly, I figure the amiibo supply issues will be fine once Smash is out of the way. The logistics of getting a 50 plus figure series out the door while also having other figures relevant to the games you're releasing has got to be a nightmare. Plus, few people would want half of these characters if they weren't rare.

I think Wario will be common and available in store, but I can understand people wanting to secure their favorites now rather than sweat it out until release. I'm only concerned about the FE and exclusive figs as those are pretty much guaranteed rare.

Yeah maybe I should cancel it I Feel sorta silly now spending 8 bucks more on an amiibo I could probably get here on release day

Drago

What's funny is that gaps between regions is a worse idea than anything in reality. Just increases the want of importing even more.
I remember seeing the delays we got in NA and thinking "wow, maybe they're gonna use that extra time to make significantly more amiibo and try to avoid stock problems"

If Wave 4 is any indication.... hahahaha. Makes the delays even more baffling and only makes me want to import even more.

spookyfish

Okay. Secured a Greninja and Jigglypuff, plus all of Wave 5 through a buddy in New Zealand.

I just need to find Ness, Robin and Lucina and I'm good with Wave 4.

This is crazy.

Fox Mulder

Frankly, I figure the amiibo supply issues will be fine once Smash is out of the way. The logistics of getting a 50 plus figure series out the door while also having other figures relevant to the games you're releasing has got to be a nightmare. Plus, few people would want half of these characters if they weren't rare.

The Super Mario line is also a little larger and less detailed, making it easier to paint.

I get why Nintendo doesn't want to make many figures of some of the smash roster. They were the one that committed to it though, and this whole thing is a frustrating shit show.

The stock issue will also fix itself when flocks of people just give up.

I remember seeing the delays we got in NA and thinking "wow, maybe they're gonna use that extra time to make significantly more amiibo and try to avoid stock problems"

If Wave 4 is any indication.... hahahaha. Makes the delays even more baffling and only makes me want to import even more.
Wave 7 will be all put in one random Walmart in Kentucky.

D

Diggeh

Unconfirmed Member
Nintendo probably wants to forget the Smash line happened as fast as possible.

Because it didn't.

Right guys?

Please understand.

Shauni

I feel about the same, too. But I also expect after Smash they will probably treat amiibo lines more like they did the Spatloon figures. A small line of 3-5 characters for titles.

RootCause

I feel about the same, too. But I also expect after Smash they will probably treat amiibo lines more like they did the Spatloon figures. A small line of 3-5 characters for titles.
I'm okay with that. Doing the entire smash line up was too much for them to handle.

weevles

To be fair, Nintendo was so late to the game/toy thing....I mean, they're conservative enough as it is, but there was just no way they weren't going to err on the side of caution, especially for characters that aren't "iconic" or "mainstream" to the Nintendo brand.

Doesn't take much of the sting away, but there's that. :p

I could see Smash Wario actually being fairly limited, which will be replaced by his classic design for the Super Mario series.

Im chatting with amazon UK now, seeing if they can do something about the shipping charges..maybe they can lower it for me seems kind of steep and Ive had shipping issues with them before..the amiibos, they are region free right? Because they get their wario amiibos released sooner than we do here in the US

Shauni

I could see Smash Wario actually being fairly limited, which will be replaced by his classic design for the Super Mario series.

I would probably be okay with that, since I think his Smash figure is pretty awful. I like the Warioware suit, but the pose and stand are awful

RootCause

Im chatting with amazon UK now, seeing if they can do something about the shipping charges..maybe they can lower it for me seems kind of steep and Ive had shipping issues with them before..the amiibos, they are region free right? Because they get their wario amiibos released sooner than we do here in the US
You gonna get them to stop selling to other regions. 😤 :p

Toki767

Anytime you buy from an international Amazon, you always buy a bunch of things because shipping is usually a flat rate fee. If you're only buying 1 thing of course it's going to feel expensive.

Anytime you buy from an international Amazon, you always buy a bunch of things because shipping is usually a flat rate fee. If you're only buying 1 thing of course it's going to feel expensive.

I just want to understand how it works with the amiibos..in the US they come out on May 29th, in the UK its April 24th..they are region free right? Because obviously I wouldn't want them if I Cant even use them here..not sure what game Wario amiibo is even used for

NICE..just chatted with a really nice guy from amazon UK he is waiving the shipping charges :)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom