• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Amiibo Thread 6 | We're up all night to get salty

Status
Not open for further replies.
D

Diggeh

Unconfirmed Member
LMFAOOO what? wheres a mod when you need em?

There's gonna be a loooooooooot of chargebacks if he doesn't get banned first. The damage has already been done. Too many promises to GAFers. A glorious meltdown indeed.

Best OT is Best OT.

GeekComplex

Neo Member
Surprise! It's a Peach.

Thats the thing, anyone can call anything random by their own standards.
The fact people in this thread can't find a Kirby, and the fact Fox is "sold out" here by so many claims, it's easy to imagine the seller is going to send them a Mega-Man or something and call it a "Rare" based on the fact we aren't tripping over him.

ALSO just had my mind blown by the simple fact that the amiibo have been released in the order they were revealed/confirmed for the game, even down to the upcoming waves. Pretty cool.

Persona7

Banned
Anyone know if Gamestop ever received their 2nd shipments of Ike yet.
Still damn pissed about my preorder that they gave to the guy who bought 6 of them.

They were not supposed to give more than one ike to anyone. If they did you should have contacted the corporate number or the district manager.

Ibuki

Banned
Anyone know if Gamestop ever received their 2nd shipments of Ike yet.
Still damn pissed about my preorder that they gave to the guy who bought 6 of them.

Not yet, no word on when it's coming either.

They were not supposed to give more than one ike to anyone. If they did you should have contacted the corporate number or the district manager.

There was a specific e-mail stating this, and even if people pre-ordered more than one, cancel all other orders and only sell one.

SalvaPot

11146141_799614096783103_1368700469_n.jpg

D

Diggeh

Unconfirmed Member
Even if GS puts up pre-orders for a reprint it's going to be the same Web In Store shitshow every time.

Don't you love when every GameStop in the country tries to buy the same thing at once? It's great.

Favocado

Even if GS puts up pre-orders for a reprint it's going to be the same Web In Store shitshow every time.

Was gonna say this. They've been really pushing the web-in-store lately. Perfectly fine system if it can handle the load. If they really want to get that foot traffic in stores that they need to up their server capacity in a big way (or something like that).

Ibuki

Banned
Was gonna say this. They've been really pushing the web-in-store lately. Perfectly fine system if it can handle the load. If they really want to get that foot traffic in stores that they need to up their server capacity in a big way (or something like that).

In store pre-orders have been such a fiasco, they basically gave up on that in favor of just shipping people stuff. It's not like WiS is turning out to be any less of a customer service nightmare.

NateDrake

In store pre-orders have been such a fiasco, they basically gave up on that in favor of just shipping people stuff. It's not like WiS is turning out to be any less of a customer service nightmare.

I get the appeal of WiS but it lacks the convenience of online ordering. It's a nice substitute if I am in the store & looking for a product that no store around has, sold-out online, but can be ordered via the WiS. Otherwise it seems pointless.

Jagsrock

Banned
The problem wit WiS is not everyone has the time to go sit at gs in the middle of the afternoon. I was lucky on Ness day that I didn't have work.

goldenpp72

I get the appeal of WiS but it lacks the convenience of online ordering. It's a nice substitute if I am in the store & looking for a product that no store around has, sold-out online, but can be ordered via the WiS. Otherwise it seems pointless.

I disagree here, while the Gamestop servers crashing was a horrible issue they should have seen coming, it was by far the fairest way to handle things. They gave a specific time, let people line up, and made sure that no assholes find a way to order 100 through multiple orders, etc. Online is too convenient for items like this because they sell out in mere minutes and seem to end up in way more scalpers hands then in the actual customers. Having real humans monitor other people to say no, limit one (or 2, or whatever) per customer in the line, having all the stores be moderated and scheduled, is by far better than just shoving it online and saying good luck. The only disadvantage is the same one all systems have, picking a time where everyone can be around.

I might be a bit biased though, I got a Ness, I did not get Greninja or Jigglypuff. I bet of the rarer Amiibos Ness will be much less scalped simply because there was SOME moderation to the system in place. If they can manage to keep the servers for selling up and running next time, i'd take an instore pre-order any time. People also mention work a lot, but really how often can you camp on a website smashing F5 and place orders at work? Unless you have a job that allows you to be on your phone at all times or on a computer, you'll be shit out of luck. I was working in Virginia all of March and 80 percent of the time i'd not be able to access my phone, let alone schedule a time to buy Amiibos.

Tru and Target can go fuck themselves, the Gamestop thing might have been a fiasco, but it was handled much better than those. If you know you're going to be at work when an order is going up, i'm sure most people can convince a friend or family member to go nab one for them in a pinch.

Favocado

I just hope they've learned their lesson and figure out a system that actually works out in time for the next wave.

goldenpp72

I just hope they've learned their lesson and figure out a system actually works out in time for the next wave.

The best way to handle it in my mind would be to arrange a time frame for people to line up and get pre-order tickets basically, and then ask them to come back an activate them over the course of a week or something or else they will generate another to give out in its place. That would remove the load on the computer system while still serving first come, first serve. The only issue here would be that you'd need to allocate the number each store will get in advance, rather than just ship them to wherever got the orders, but I don't imagine that would be too hard for a limited item.

NateDrake

I disagree here, while the Gamestop servers crashing was a horrible issue they should have seen coming, it was by far the fairest way to handle things.
How is it really fair? You needed to have the time to go to the store to put in an order. GameStop once took in-store pre-orders for items you picked up at the store. Now you can order things in the store to be shipped to your home. I understand the appeal of it, but it isn't a substitute for online or true in-store pre-ordering. Basically, I don't want to see the store making a habit of using WiS for select items. Had they done in-store pre-orders for Ness, sold-out of those, and then told customers they could do WiS, fine. But their handling of Ness was still shitty, especially since they advertised online pre-orders that never came because they crashed their own damn infrastructure.

D

Diggeh

Unconfirmed Member
How is it really fair? You needed to have the time to go to the store to put in an order. GameStop once took in-store pre-orders for items you picked up at the store. Now you can order things in the store to be shipped to your home. I understand the appeal of it, but it isn't a substitute for online or true in-store pre-ordering. Basically, I don't want to see the store making a habit of using WiS for select items.

They new amiibo are online preorder exclusive.

goldenpp72

How is it really fair? You needed to have the time to go to the store to put in an order. GameStop once took in-store pre-orders for items you picked up at the store. Now you can order things in the store to be shipped to your home. I understand the appeal of it, but it isn't a substitute for online or true in-store pre-ordering. Basically, I don't want to see the store making a habit of using WiS for select items.

It's more fair because the alternative is Amazon putting up Robin or Lucina at random in 4 hours while most of us are sleeping while the scalpers order every single one within 5 minutes.

Fact is, it's a LOT easier to order duplicates online than it is to do it in a store, I was in line with over 15 people for the Wave 4 orders and almost every single one of them wanted multiples, and were rejected in the process. One per customer was enforced and even with that, things were selling out as the line went on. Having to arrange yourself or another person to get an item at a specific time is much better than having everyone destroy a website at once to scalp the shit out of it, imo anyways. I also bet if the gamestop.com orders had happened, you'd see a lot more people here mysteriously having an extra Ness to spare because they ordered 4 using different addresses before they sold out. I know that doesn't make anyone here a bad person (I did it a couple times for even trade) but in this case, it allows the actual customer to end up with one.

There is no perfect way to do it, but a system where actual people can tell scalpers to suck it is still the best chance any of us have at this point. I have no doubt i'm going to miss out on Lucina and Robin at this point until I pony up a scalper price, because the only way i'm getting one legit now is if I happen to be awake at the random time a store puts them up and happen to notice it happened within 5 minutes. It's almost like winning the lottery if you're not actively refreshing a site all day, which is a worse fate than waiting in a line for an hour or two.

Meatwad

You know what was fair? Actually being able to walk into Gamestop at any time and pre-ordering the Amiibo that you want for in store pickup. That's what I did with Shulk. Now I realize that's not possible now but Gamestop could've at least put some online for people who couldn't have possibly made it to a store. I was on my 15 minute break at 3pm I could've easily have ordered a Ness from Gamestop's site. I couldn't however just ditch work to go to the nearest store.

BigBossJelly

Neo Member
GS: Hey let's have in-store preorder session at a certain time for people to come in and preorder all the Amiibo they want.

Me: Yeah sounds good.

GS: And let's not use our local shipment we expect to get but the total stock that we think all stores will get

Me: Uh, okay I guess. I mean...

GS: And let's have it so that we do preorders through the online GS servers so we can see the amount we have. And we'll open the servers up for everyone at the same time at EVERY store.

Me: Uh.....

Taramoor

So what do we think the odds are that the Marth re-issue will be packaged with copies of Codename STEAM?

It would certainly help with sales of the game, I bet.

D

Diggeh

Unconfirmed Member
So what do we think the odds are that the Marth re-issue will be packaged with copies of Codename STEAM?

I'm betting he'll be bundled with 4 copies of S.T.E.A.M., 8 Prima guides for Smash, and two Wii Us.

It'll still sell out.

Curler

Unconfirmed Member
You know what was fair? Actually being able to walk into Gamestop at any time and pre-ordering the Amiibo that you want for in store pickup. That's what I did with Shulk. Now I realize that's not possible now but Gamestop could've at least put some online for people who couldn't have possibly made it to a store. I was on my 15 minute break at 3pm I could've easily have ordered a Ness from Gamestop's site. I couldn't however just ditch work to go to the nearest store.

I sure miss those days... *sniff* Good times they were!

goldenpp72

Unlikely, I think that would actually do more harm to those who already did buy it and would have liked the option initially. With that said, it would be pretty cool. I'd be all for a bundle that included all of the FE chars really, even though I have the first 2.

Hello everyone,

I have a question about finding amiibos in Tokyo. I'll be there for a day next week during a lengthy layover and I want to pick some up if I can. Due to the fact that it's just a layover, I don't have a huge amount of time, so I'd like to head to specific places to look as quickly as possible.

Does anybody have any information regarding specific stores that I should check out? Do the Pokemon Centers sell amiibos? Akihabara?

Any help is really appreciated. Thanks!

Renewed

Hello everyone,

I have a question about finding amiibos in Tokyo. I'll be there for a day next week during a lengthy layover and I want to pick some up if I can. Due to the fact that it's just a layover, I don't have a huge amount of time, so I'd like to head to specific places to look as quickly as possible.

Does anybody have any information regarding specific stores that I should check out? Do the Pokemon Centers sell amiibos? Akihabara?

Any help is really appreciated. Thanks!

All I've heard of is Yodobashi Camera in Shinjuku. Maybe you could try your luck there if you have the time. Otherwise I'm not too sure. Sorry :(

//ARCANUM

Here's an update on my collection, removed the 3rd shelf, but may have to put it back when my 3 wave 4 figures arrive, which means I may put my Gold Mario on top of the case, or open it. In case no one saw my last update, I received this Nike display case for free from where I work. I'm looking to put an amiibo logo over the Nike swoosh. I'm looking to find different light to use, the one in the pic was just $5, but it starts to get dim after 10 hours of use.

7SpgYrk.jpg

Hey what's that stand you're using to display your 3DS XL?

All I've heard of is Yodobashi Camera in Shinjuku. Maybe you could try your luck there if you have the time. Otherwise I'm not too sure. Sorry :(

Great, I'll look at heading that way. And that's more information than I had before you responded, so no need to be sorry. I appreciate it. Thanks!

//ARCANUM

I think the #1 completely unforgivable thing re: the whole GameStop ness meltdown, was the fact that they advertised online preorders going live at 2pm, then decided they were canceling that and then didn't inform the public. Means the people who aren't savy enough to be on neogaf or reddit or w/e never knew and therefore kept refreshing for hours on end, never having a chance, which added to server load making it so that the people doing WIS couldn't get many of their orders in.

If GameStop had just done 1 of 2 decent things (either stick to the original plan, or flipping inform the public of the giant change), then things would have gone much smoother. (And for those saying that the server load would still be there, yes I agree, BUT it would only be there for a matter of minutes because Ness would sell out online quickly meaning that the WIS orders could then proceed more easily - assuming they had a different allocation).

In other words: GameStop you screwed the pooch.

SaviourMK2

I think the #1 completely unforgivable thing re: the whole GameStop ness meltdown, was the fact that they advertised online preorders going live at 2pm, then decided they were canceling that and then didn't inform the public. Means the people who aren't savy enough to be on neogaf or reddit or w/e never knew and therefore kept refreshing for hours on end, never having a chance, which added to server load making it so that the people doing WIS couldn't get many of their orders in.

If GameStop had just done 1 of 2 decent things (either stick to the original plan, or flipping inform the public of the giant change), then things would have gone much smoother. (And for those saying that the server load would still be there, yes I agree, BUT it would only be there for a matter of minutes because Ness would sell out online quickly meaning that the WIS orders could then proceed more easily - assuming they had a different allocation).

In other words: GameStop you screwed the pooch.

yeah my trust in GameStop broke a little in terms of amiibo preorders

Conan-san

You trust gamestop?

This whole thing's been a clusterfuck, I'm wanting to get the splatoon inklings but I don't particularly care for the squid form one (That's like wanting an Optimus Prime that's only a truck) so I thought "Here's a plan, I'll get the game Direct Download (Personal Preference) (That way if needs absolutely must I'll just get it via the store on the morning of) and preorder the two Inklings on Amazon" after all, It's about a month out and that's usually when Amazon UK make their Amiibos available right?

So far all I have seen of is Nintendo's own store and to get any of them you need to get the game physical.

Let's just say I will dance on anyone with a Shantae amiibo when she gets in smash via the character poll and things go to pot there. "Bad" can and will be the song playing.

Anime

Neo Member
The problem wit WiS is not everyone has the time to go sit at gs in the middle of the afternoon. I was lucky on Ness day that I didn't have work.

Your right but lets face it even with that GameStop by far has had the best pre order system amongst the other retailers.

For starters they actually warned us in advance on when we can pre order and where Target and ToysRUs didnt have the decency to do ethier.At least with GS we knew when it was gonna go down.And thanks to that that i planned ahead and manages to set up a plan on how i can arrive by 3:00 P.M EST

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom