• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Amiibo Thread 6 | We're up all night to get salty

Status
Not open for further replies.

BigBossJelly

Neo Member
So are there any Gold Mario owners that got Gold Mario because they actually wanted Gold Mario and not because they wanted to trade Gold Mario

Yup dat would be me. I didn't have a Mario amiibo yet and then they announced the Gold one, so I decided if I get any Mario amiibo it'll be the gold one. And now it sits on my shelf..out of its case WAHAHAHAHAHA!

Kilau

social engineering? Maybe they were a jerk and bragged about it at work or something.

I guess, but you have to think those pre-orders are still big news at gamestops right now. Just giving a name should not be enough, if they also had made a copy of the receipt I could see it happening.

fernoca

You can't cancel web in store orders (or any other order or preorder) at Gamestop just with a name. So either that person is lying, or omitted a few details.

And yep..I want a Gold Mario to open and use! No luck yet. Have a few on watch at eBay, but still holding till I have extra money to spare.

Spent the last hours in 8 player Smash with all the Smash amiibo to get items and trophies, so they're all Level 40+ now. :p Friends are coming over tomorrow, so will use the SMB amiibo in Mario Party 10.

BigBossJelly

Neo Member
I gotta ask, what do you guys do while waiting for some of these preorders to come up, personally I've been IV breeding Pokemon and it kind of makes time go a little faster.

kierwynn

Spent the last hours in 8 player Smash with all the Smash amiibo to get items and trophies, so they're all Level 40+ now. :p Friends are coming over tomorrow, so will use the SMB amiibo in Mario Party 10.

I played MP10 with amiibos this weekend. The mode is sorta neat, but the amiibo use was kinda meh. Be prepared to cramp yourselves around the gamepad and have to constantly touch your amiibo to the dumb pad. lol Also, if anyone decides to be Bowser, it defaults to the Bowser games (everyone vs Bowser) rather than a free for all, and it's kinda unfair on that mode.

BigBossJelly

Neo Member
I played MP10 with amiibos this weekend. The mode is sorta neat, but the amiibo use was kinda meh. Be prepared to cramp yourselves around the gamepad and have to constantly touch your amiibo to the dumb pad. lol Also, if anyone decides to be Bowser, it defaults to the Bowser games (everyone vs Bowser) rather than a free for all, and it's kinda unfair on that mode.

I heard that its tipped very much in Bowser's favor haha

Jrs3000

I gotta ask, what do you guys do while waiting for some of these preorders to come up, personally I've been IV breeding Pokemon and it kind of makes time go a little faster.

I go about my normal daily routines. I just check in on my phone and leave the sites to buy open in other tabs. I'd be so lost without smartphones!

If Nintendo really wanted money out of their Mario Party games, just remake the old ones that everyone now looks back on with rose tinted glasses after playing these more recent games.

Would make millions.

BigBossJelly

Neo Member
If Nintendo really wanted money out of their Mario Party games, just remake the old ones that everyone now looks back on with rose tinted glasses after playing these more recent games.

Would make millions.

Haha the only reason I didn't buy MP10 is because it uses the car mechanic (which I hated) the mini games look genuinely fun though.

Zonic

Gives all the fucks
But did she get salty?

dgdq9uhy.png
There's gotta be more to this story. I think only about twice I had my dad pick up a pre-order for me when I was in high school, & I believe the employees knew he was my dad because of how frequent I'd visit/buy games. Might've also helped that they knew it was for me because of the last name.

Don't get me wrong, this still seriously sucks (both to the jerk who did it & the fact GameStop allowed it), but I wanna know more details.

Edit: UH, okay, now I REALLY want to know more details. Twitter user says GameStop gave the jerk HER CREDIT CARD NUMBER.

kierwynn

I heard that its tipped very much in Bowser's favor haha

There's only a couple of games that I found to be really skewed in his favor, and even if they were, the Bowser games are more meant to wittle your hearts away over time (which is how it was meant for Bowser mode). In the amiibo mode, if you end up with a Bowser game, everyone against Bowser has to lose all of their hearts in the game in order for Bowser to lose, which is a lot harder to do for a lot of the mini games.

Bowser is SoL if they get too far ahead. Four players will outpace him easily.

That's not necessarily true- it only takes one bad roll, and the game tries to make it up by giving Bowser advantages (like extra dice) should he fall too far behind. And in the amiibo mode, you play a mini game after every round, so if you have someone playing Bowser, you're gonna end up playing like 10 Bowser mini games (I think it's 10 rounds total in the amiibo mode).

Josh5890

Would make millions.

All they need to do is have a traditional mode with boards that aren't linear like a monopoly board, have a bunch of Mario characters, mini games that don't need motion controls, and make the boards fun and engaging. Mario Party can be a simple game to make.

The Bowser Party mode is cool but the old school traditional is where it is at.

The scalpers that have access to these Amiibo are able to purchase bulk because they have a business license and get their supply at cost from a distributor that deals with Nintendo. Since they may not have a brick and mortar store, they sell over inflated pricing in their on-line store in eBay or Amazon. That's how they're buying them out. Some scalpers also have "friends" that set the products to the side for them to purchase as boxes come in. These "friends" get a kick back for doing this. Its shady, but its how business is done.

Saw this on GameInformer. Is this true? This might explain Little Mac because he never made it to the shelves within 75 miles of me.

kirby_fox

Banned
Saw this on GameInformer. Is this true?

I can believe it. A few months ago I contacted Nintendo about potentially "selling" amiibo in a new store and how I could buy them. They asked my location and then gave me the info for my regional distribution channel to contact. I never made it past that point, but it seems to be fairly easy to get into contact with the right people and get your own supply chain going.

The store friend thing has been a way for scalpers for years, but it's an easy way to get caught up and lose your job real fast. However, if they know when the distribution place is sending out orders (since they get orders themselves) I wouldn't doubt that's how they already know stores have gotten stock in before it's on the floor.

Especially since trucks at stores like Target tend to come at the same times when delivering so people are ready to move their shipment.

Curler

Unconfirmed Member
Saw this on GameInformer. Is this true? This might explain Little Mac because he never made it to the shelves within 75 miles of me.

Yeah sounds about right. Maybe Nintendo should monitor closely as to where these distribution centers are sending out their stock.

All they need to do is have a traditional mode with boards that aren't linear like a monopoly board, have a bunch of Mario characters, mini games that don't need motion controls, and make the boards fun and engaging. Mario Party can be a simple game to make.

The Bowser Party mode is cool but the old school traditional is where it is at.

I would just of liked to be in the focus groups of these games, and attack whoever says having a car with all the character in it would be awesome.

I can believe it. A few months ago I contacted Nintendo about potentially "selling" amiibo in a new store and how I could buy them. They asked my location and then gave me the info for my regional distribution channel to contact. I never made it past that point, but it seems to be fairly easy to get into contact with the right people and get your own supply chain going.

The store friend thing has been a way for scalpers for years, but it's an easy way to get caught up and lose your job real fast. However, if they know when the distribution place is sending out orders (since they get orders themselves) I wouldn't doubt that's how they already know stores have gotten stock in before it's on the floor.

Especially since trucks at stores like Target tend to come at the same times when delivering so people are ready to move their shipment.

Hmm, i remeber seeing that somoen had like 90 or 70 Gold Marios on Ebay as Preorders....this explains it lol

Josh5890

I would just of liked to be in the focus groups of these games, and attack whoever says having a car with all the character in it would be awesome.

I would pay to be in some of Nintendo's focus groups. The car mode is pointless because if you want to just worry about the minigames then play the minigames on the side.

NIntendo is trying to pass the blame to retailers, but the good news is that "no amiibo has been discontinued at this time."

http://www.gonintendo.com/s/250792-nintendo-customer-service-blames-retailers-for-amiibo-shortages

Nintendo has their fair share of fault with retailer relations in this mess, trying to shortchange retailers because they dont want to dedicate a whole wall to Peach amiibos.

I'm pretty sure it goes something like:

N: We will give you x amount of this amiibo if you also buy an x amount of this mario character.

R: We dont want to dedicate that much wall space to something we dont make that much money off of.

N: Then here's a small fraction of what we offered before!

Meanwhile retailers are just hoping that people will purchase accessories and used products while they are in the store screaming at the top of their lungs over a plastic figure.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom