• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Amiibo Thread 6 | We're up all night to get salty

Status
Not open for further replies.
This is crazy. People lined up already? Tents? A group I'm in on Facebook says that there's a line of people of 10 at a TRU in corpus Christi already. Fucking 10.

Welp, I was going to go before school and pre-order to feel a little more secure, but man, if I'm gonna have to basically leave now to have a chance, fuck that. I think two hours is my absolute limit, and that's really pushing it. Guessing even that won't be good enough now-a-days.

Wario and Pac-Man arrived today :D

They look really awesome despite being some of my least favourite characters in Smash. Quality is definitely getting better with the recent waves.

The rest of wave 4 should be arriving tomorrow too.

So what to do with the boxes after taking the Amiibos out?

I was storing them, but I'm gonna chuck them all out. They take up waaay too much space.

crmetteer

I think I've talked myself out of going to Toys R Us in the morning. I'm not really having fun with this amiibo stuff anymore and I have a Final exam tomorrow night...
But yet I can't help but feel I will regret it if this is the one figure I don't have...

M2SENqb.png

Tirod

So I have the opportunity to go to Toys R Us in the morning since I have the day off but I'm not super crazy into Amiibo, I just like Fire Emblem merchandise. I walked into a store on Smash launch and got Marth off the shelf. Missed the date on Ike completely since I wasn't paying attention and ended up paying extra for him off Amazon Marketplace.

My question is this: for the die hards who have been a part of entire ride from the beginning, what cutoff should I keep in for this to be worth my time? I figured I'd get some coffee and donuts in the morning and line up 2-3 hours before opening. About how many amiibo on average do you think a retailer like this gets? If there is already more than 10 people waiting outside, should I just give up?

This is my first time actually trying to pre purchase these guys. :(

D

Diggeh

Unconfirmed Member
Whoa, is the thread actually going to gain a few pages over Greninja/Pac hype?

Toki767

So I have the opportunity to go to Toys R Us in the morning since I have the day off but I'm not super crazy into Amiibo, I just like Fire Emblem merchandise. I walked into a store on Smash launch and got Marth off the shelf. Missed the date on Ike completely since I wasn't paying attention and ended up paying extra for him off Amazon Marketplace.

My question is this: for the die hards who have been a part of entire ride from the beginning, what cutoff should I keep in for this to be worth my time? I figured I'd get some coffee and donuts in the morning and line up 2-3 hours before opening. About how many amiibo on average do you think a retailer like this gets? If there is already more than 10 people waiting outside, should I just give up?

This is my first time actually trying to pre purchase these guys. :(

You're possibly in luck.
Toys R Us aren't putting up Lucina or Robin for pre-order tomorrow.

Other than scalping, why would you wait all night to get a Greninja for $15 when you could just pay a scalper $50 to have it and not have to camp out all night? Is your time just not worth that much?

And even scalping doesn't seem worth it for camping out.

Basically so that I can say that I did, plus for better or worse I'm now the "amiibo guy" amongst my coworkers/friends...gotta keep my rep.

Got my work schedule

Final exams are NOT being given on May 29th

I'm probably going to take a personal day to see about getting Jigglypuff

May God have mercy on my soul

I took a vacation day going to try to get Robin/Lucina/Jiggly/Greninja and then play Splatoon all day. Should be fun.

Vidiot

I'm just gonna have to over pay for Greninja. I have a job and even if I was off today I wouldn't line up this early in the morning. As long as I can secure most of a wave at retail price it's not too bad to over pay for a figure here and there if it let's me avoid doing shit like this.

Rocky

Banned
Wow. Ummmm how early will I have to get up for Jigglypuff? :( I'm not doing that though.

Its looking like getting up early won't be good enough anymore. Thinking about bringing my 2 extra Rosalinas and 1 Lucario to Target and TRU on launch day, so I can offer trades if I don't manage to get Jiggly or Greninja. Think anyone would trade a newly acquired Jiggly or Greninja for one of those?

Rocky

Banned
Ugh ugh... us working/going to class people just won't stand a chance, will we? :(

People are camping out overnight in front of stores for a $12 toy. We're screwed. And it just seems to get worse with each new wave. NOA needs to do something about this because the next 2 waves look to be even worse. Especially Zero Suit Samus, and that's the one Amiibo I want the most out of all of them. Been waiting for her since they announced these things.

Ugh ugh... us working/going to class people just won't stand a chance, will we? :(

No kidding. I didn't think people would go that far. I thought I might have at least an outside chance of getting a preorder in on my lunch break but never mind now.

It's looking more and more likely I'm going to have to resort to buying from a reseller if I want Jigglypuff and Greninja. I kept just missing preorders on Jigglypuff (was literally one click away from finishing checking out on amazon.de when it sold out in front of me) and the online Greninja preorder... well, you all know about that. The only other option I know of is amazon.co.uk but even then there's a chance they won't ship to the US.

I'm going to wait until the retail release date and see what happens. I hope that the rumor posted a while back saying the retail stock for wave 4 would be as plentiful as the SMB line is true.

HUELEN10

I am 12 out of 20 with Greninja and 5/20 for Pacster!

Woot. I don't even give a fuck about Pokemon, but better me than the scalper in front!

Fox Mulder

People are camping out overnight in front of stores for a $12 toy. We're screwed. And it just seems to get worse with each new wave. NOA needs to do something about this because the next 2 waves look to be even worse. Especially Zero Suit Samus, and that's the one Amiibo I want the most out of all of them. Been waiting for her since they announced these things.

NoA is loving this shit, fans or even scalpers are camping outside just to place one preorder for a toy.

Hi all,

Long time lurker, only just got my account activated a couple days ago so here's my first post on Neogaf!

I haven't been as completist as some of you on here, mostly I'm just grabbing my favorite characters, but I think I've gone crazy for Greninja. I've never gone to a store and waited outside it early, hoping to nab a preorder for something. I'm only going two-hours ahead of time, that's the max I'm willing to put in for this, but I already feel like I've lost my mind lol. I feel like one of those characters in horror games, where someone will find my journal weeks later and each entry just gets crazier and crazier:

Day 1: Picked up an amiibo today. It's cool, nice to have a pikachu toy, I guess.

Day 12: I had the dream again. The amiibo were all sold out and the store clerks laughed at me. So I rushed into the store and frantically asked them if they had new amiibo in. They laughed at me. It was just like the dream.

Day 20: My skin won't stop itching. I can see them, from my desk, my amiibo. They make the itching stop. When is the next wave hitting?

Day 25: Amiibo. Amiibo. Amiibo. Amiibo. Amiibo. Amiibo. Amiibo. Amiibo. Amiibo....

Anyway, Good luck everyone!

MicH

The Amiibo situation might be dire in Europe, but the situation in the US is batshit insane. Ain't no way we're lining up in front of the stores at 6 AM hoping to snag a pre-order

Thoraxes

I'm just going to go to Target for a Jigglypuff and pray I get one with coordination with my friends.

If I don't i'll just do what i'm going to do with Greninja; solve my problems with money and Japanese amiibos.

Haha might not even bother going or I'll go at like 9 am now.

Woke up thinking to myself the fuck am I gonna wait 2+ hours in line

I'll do that for the one I want , if they had Lucina x Robin I'd go 2 hours early though

Rootbeer

Banned
the absolute earliest I can get to my TRU is 1 hour before opening... i'm gonna try but I think my chances of being in the first 10 is low... :(

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom