• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Amiibo Thread 6 | We're up all night to get salty

Status
Not open for further replies.
So my coworker preordered Ike and mega man from GameStop and his Ike never came and got stuck at processing. He chatted with them today and they updated his order saying he will get on in the beginning of May. Does that mean they are available next month somehow?!

Or are they just able to get some here and there.. Interesting though.

So my coworker preordered Ike and mega man from GameStop and his Ike never came and got stuck at processing. He chatted with them today and they updated his order saying he will get on in the beginning of May. Does that mean they are available next month somehow?!

Or are they just able to get some here and there.. Interesting though.

Seems like Ike is going to get a second shipment to support Code Name S.T.E.A.M. functionality. My Ike order was delayed by GS until then as well.

RootCause

Like a gold Mario?

I wasn't able to get to a TRU this morning, and as luck would have it, this week is school vacation week. A friend of mine got there 90 minutes prior to open and was 12th in line. The store only had 10 preorder slots.
Lol I was lucky 12 too. xD

Fox Mulder

I guess I'm out. It's ridiculous how I couldn't even put in a PRE ORDER for this wave. I guess next wave they'll have pre orders for the pre orders. Ill just stick to checking on the anemic amiibo aisle whenever I'm out at target or Walmart for household stuff. It was fun. WAS.

The smash line is just fucked, but the Super Mario line is well stocked besides toad really. The splatoon line will probably be as well to launch with a new franchise.

Gamestop had a good idea to sell a wave bundle just to cut out the bullshit, but they failed on execution. Maybe it'll work next time.

I showed that to my buddy just now and he ended up getting it last week on Amazon for $5 more than retail since it's fairly hard to find. Should have checked the mart!

He also went to the other location and there were 15 people in line @ 830 haha. Me and him would have been up to 17 + whoever else showed up until they announced 10 only. Which was around 9 it seemed according to #11

Glad to see some people had success this morning. I knew I wasn't going to have any so I decided to skip out even though it hurt me to. I better get another shot at pre-orders from somewhere but I have a feeling I'll make a day out of release day madness and brave it.

I was able to nail down the presell for Pac Man and Greninja at TRU, which will likely make them my first Amiibo! Got pissed though, cuz this couple was pushing in trying to get more than the allotted amount per customer and mentioned how they had 7 of the Gold Marios. Scalpers just irritate me to no end.

And yes, Toys R Us only had 10 tickets per figure. And that is what will be shipped too from what I understand, not just reservation stock.

I was able to nail down the presell for Pac Man and Greninja at TRU, which will likely make them my first Amiibo! Got pissed though, cuz this couple was pushing in trying to get more than the allotted amount per customer and mentioned how they had 7 of the Gold Marios. Scalpers just irritate me to no end.

And yes, Toys R Us only had 10 tickets per figure. And that is what will be shipped too from what I understand, not just reserve stock.

Yea the scalpers at our store got 2 out of 10 and out them on eBay immediately. That's the worst $/hour ever.

I was #15 so I had no chance anyways but still. Sucks!

Anime

Neo Member
did anyone here go to the ToyRUs Times square? i was going to head out there but then i realized it wasnt worth the dissapointment.

Apprantly they were people camping out since early morning.

So, I got to TRU three hours early and was 10/10. Just barely made the cut. I'm wondering what to do about Jigglypuff. Three hours early for Target is 5 AM... but there are Targets all over the place around here. We do get out at 1:00 PM on Fridays starting on that day...so 5 AM might be doable. But, man, that is early!

I showed that to my buddy just now and he ended up getting it last week on Amazon for $5 more than retail since it's fairly hard to find. Should have checked the mart!

He also went to the other location and there were 15 people in line @ 830 haha. Me and him would have been up to 17 + whoever else showed up until they announced 10 only. Which was around 9 it seemed according to #11

I feel especially bad for #12. He drove an hour for nothing.

Got my Greninja and PAC-MAN preorders from Toys "R" Us after waiting 12 hours in line. =P Now to do it all again next month... ._.

Wow...major city location? People seem pretty big on it here (though Walmarts screwing the pooch on customer limits likely skewing that impression), but only had the scalpers line up about 2 hours early, and the other 2 or 3 joining in maybe 30-some minutes before opening.

Still sold out within 10 minutes.

Tyeforce

Wow really? Since 10pm?
Yeah, I had to be safe. After missing out on the Majora's Mask New 3DS XL because I mistakenly thought being there 8 hours early would be good enough, I'm not taking any chances on stuff like this anymore. Though I'm clearly in the minority, since most people didn't start lining up until early morning.

Wow...major city location? People seem pretty big on it here (though Walmarts screwing the pooch on customer limits likely skewing that impression), but only had the scalpers line up about 2 hours early, and the other 2 or 3 joining in maybe 30-some minutes before opening.

Still sold out within 10 minutes.
I dunno if you want to call it "major," lol, but I was at the Mesa, AZ store (which I also work at). There weren't many people in line until early morning, but within a couple hours of my arrival there were, like, 5 of us waiting overnight.

A Human Becoming

More than a Member
I dunno if you want to call it "major," lol, but I was at the Mesa, AZ store (which I also work at). There weren't many people in line until early morning, but within a couple hours of my arrival there were, like, 5 of us waiting overnight.
Is that near Phoenix? I thought you mentioned that was your location in that Swapnote Me Maybe thread years ago.

I was going to go to that store, but I decided not to when people started posted that there were already people lining up last night. Just out of curiosity, how late would you say the last person to get a pre-order in arrived was?

Tyeforce

I was super tired early morning and hadn't really been keeping track of everyone in line, but I think it was probably around 7am when we got 20 people in line (our store had 20 preorders, not 10).

I was super tired early morning and hadn't really been keeping track of everyone in line, but I think it was probably around 7am when we got 20 people in line (our store had 20 preorders, not 10).

Guess I'm glad I didn't bother then haha. 8am would have been the absolute earliest I would have gone. Wonder what the situation at the Chandler store was like.

volgihn

I called TRU yesterday and they confirmed they had 20 Greninja pre orders. its always the same group of people that camp out for Amiibos so I knew they would show up at around 4AM. Since there were 20 I decided to show up at 6:20 I got here and I was number 17. The person who was 1st in line got there at 2:20 some high school student who brought his mom and sister along. Many people in line had family members with them and some were blatantly talking about selling them. I'm just glad I was able to get a Greninja.

Joei

HUELEN sure buys a lot of multiples of rare items.

He buys them for his friends he meets on eBay.

I guess I'm out. It's ridiculous how I couldn't even put in a PRE ORDER for this wave. I guess next wave they'll have pre orders for the pre orders. Ill just stick to checking on the anemic amiibo aisle whenever I'm out at target or Walmart for household stuff. It was fun. WAS.

u3VLrPW.jpg

Vidiot

ebay bids are easily in the $60's. It is the typically panic on "release day"

Once Greninja releases in other regions I'm confident I'll be able to get one for $30 or so. I don't care where it's from because I open the boxes. I also hate the idea of preordering in on ebay so I'll wait until sellers actually have the item ready to ship.

Wave 3 was as easy as a few button clicks and I had everything set for me to pick it up.

This wave... oh this wave.

Target started Jigglypuff when I was driving to work and the website was done in a few minutes. Fail.

Then I learned gamestop was doing online/ and store preorders at 3PM. They cancelled the online portion but I was at work and missed it. Needless to say it looks like a lot of people were unsuccessful actually being there. Fail.

Toysrus does their Greninja online and they do it in the middle of the night while the world is sleeping and I miss out the first time. I then drive half way to my local store today to find out there is a line of 15 people at 7:30AM and they are receiving 10 orders. Fail.

I've essentially had zero luck even preordering this wave. I have them all and now feel it is time to jump out. I know May 29 they will be out of the rare ones and they will have the commons and I refuse to pay more than double per figure. Thanks Nintendo!

Curler

Unconfirmed Member
I just keep trying to tell myself...

"It's almost over... it's almost over...."

But I know it will be painful until the end! Watch randomly a few months from now, Nintendo will be all like

"Here's some random rate/exclusive reprints out of nowhere in sbundance, that you guys all waited hours in line for!"

I just see that as being a thing that will happen.

D

Diggeh

Unconfirmed Member
Wave 3 was as easy as a few button clicks and I had everything set for me to pick it up.

Target started Jigglypuff when I was driving to work and the website was done in a few minutes. Fail.

Then I learned gamestop was doing online/ and store preorders at 3PM. They cancelled the online portion but I was at work and missed it. Needless to say it looks like a lot of people were unsuccessful actually being there. Fail.

Toysrus does their Greninja online and they do it in the middle of the night while the world is sleeping and I miss out the first time. I then drive half way to my local store today to find out there is a line of 15 people at 7:30AM and they are receiving 10 orders. Fail.

I've essentially had zero luck even preordering this wave. I have them all and now feel it is time to jump out. I know May 29 they will be out of the rare ones and they will have the commons and I refuse to pay more than double per figure. Thanks Nintendo!

Here's how I imagine next waves:
Everyone misses everything

HAVE FUN

So Greninja is confirmed the hardest amiibo to get? :p

Assuming Ness was only available during the insanity of CRASHING THE GAMESTOP INFRASTRUCTURE, NESS FOR SURE.

Rocky

Banned
I just keep trying to tell myself...

"It's almost over... it's almost over...."

But I know it will be painful until the end! Watch randomly a few months from now, Nintendo will be all like

"Here's some random rate/exclusive reprints out of nowhere in sbundance, that you guys all waited hours in line for!"

I just see that as being a thing that will happen.

I have a feeling that's what will happen too. Like maybe for the holidays, then we'll see many posts of regret in this thread. Followed shortly by a glut of used amiibos for sale, dirt cheap on Ebay and Amazon.

Kinda peeved that I showed up to my local TRU this morning just as they opened, there was no line, and they told me they're not accepting pre-orders in store..only online. What the hell...

Josh5890

Once Greninja releases in other regions I'm confident I'll be able to get one for $30 or so. I don't care where it's from because I open the boxes. I also hate the idea of preordering in on ebay so I'll wait until sellers actually have the item ready to ship.

it'll be like $40-$60 the first day, you also have the panic x "get this outta here" sellers on ebay

I'd bet people will be able to get it for $30 or less the first day it's out.

I'm sue that will probably be the case. After all there should be a limited number of Greninjas available as well.

I think Ness will be the rarest out of the three exclusives. His situation seemed like a one day drop and that is it.

I sympathized with you until your experience with today. 7:30 am is way too late, you should have known better! Especially knowing the madness of Wave 4 at Gamestop, and most people missing out on Greninja through the online preorder.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom