• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Amiibo Thread 6 | We're up all night to get salty

Status
Not open for further replies.

ZeroCDR

This is why I ordered a Ness from the July import restock, because I don't trust Gamestop even though I stood in line for over 2 hours. JUST IN CASE THEY FUCK ME.

Anything is possible, but I doubt GameStop will cancel orders at this point. Haven't they been placing orders for the entire wave for people that complained via survey?

crimnos

I was just reading this elsewhere. This seems fake, no? Whey would Toys 'R Us refer to themselves as "I"? Why would a refund for an online order be waiting for someone at the store? What does "arrise" mean? Did they mean "arise"? "arrive"?

EDIT: Or is a cancellation of an in-store pre-order yesterday?

Yeah, seems to be that way. Looks like it might have been written by the manager. If true, yikes. What the hell is going on with this wave? I want to read a tell-all book about the last six months of amiibo production.

-Horizon-

Yeah, seems to be that way. Looks like it might have been written by the manager. If true, yikes. What the hell is going on with this wave? I want to read a tell-all book about the last six months of amiibo production.

They threw darts at a board while blindfolded to choose how much to produce and where to send it to.

They threw darts at a board while blindfolded to choose how much to produce and where to send it to.

I sent him a Twitter message asking if maybe an employee got his email and was just messing with him. He said that they probably over sold their allocation by 10. Apparently the store he was at all of a sudden got more pre-orders yesterday.

Holy shit.

Z6o5HvU.png

This is why I ordered a Ness from the July import restock, because I don't trust Gamestop even though I stood in line for over 2 hours. JUST IN CASE THEY FUCK ME.

I'm going to be maximum mads if I get an email like that after waiting in line from 1am to get one.

Holy shit.

Z6o5HvU.png

I just caught wind of that tweet too. Terrible. This wave has been ridiculous and I just want the nightmare to end.

KiDdYoNe

Hey guys :)

Here's a letter from Hyrule_Warrior!

Kit Robin: In regards to the twitter post for the canceled Toys R US preorder, I was actually at that store in question, since I saw it was from Toys R Us Brookfield. I was number 9 in their line, and I got there around 6:30am. I spoke with the people in front of me for a while. The gentleman in front of me actually worked at the store, and knew their allotment was only going to be 9 for Greninja, so I was the lucky last person able to get one. Anyone behind me was out of luck, and we tried telling anyone who came after me that, but no one believed us. From what I remember, there were a few people behind me that said they were from amiibo news, so those people knew they might not get a Greninja. I do remember the person behind me kept saying "could you try to sell me one?" even though I was the last person to be given a printed out ticket, and I do know they did try to ring him up for one. I'm going to assume the guy who posted that tweet was the guy behind me who knew he was probably not going to get a Greninja, but wanted them to try anyway.

Really wanted to share the info I had, but I had to have my friend here do it for me because I am unable to at this time XD

kirby_fox

Banned
There's just no way they allocated less stock than Lucario when they've seen how these sell out. That cancellation has to be store based and probably because an employee or someone got preferential treatment.

I've been thinking about why this is getting worse.

1) Demand has outpaced the supply significantly meaning that more people started with Wave 3 and found it hard as hell to get exclusives so are causing a demand spike that the supply can't keep up with. More scalpers are creating more demand because they made bank with the last wave too. Not to mention the people also buying 3-4 looking as a way to trade for older waves.

2) Supply is restrained due to manufacturing deals that were in place which would make sense to why stores are blaming Nintendo for stock, and Nintendo is blaming stores. They likely spoke to stores initially before deals were in place, got initial orders and then went to production and made the deals. They can't manufacture more without going back and getting a contract signed, and stores can't/won't order more because Nintendo has no stock sitting in a warehouse and wants the product now rather than months from now. The stores probably don't want to give up shelf space for 50+ figures, and Nintendo isn't going to keep a warehouse full and sit on unsold stock when their business model for amiibo is to circle through models with varying usability.

3) Stores are holding back stock to meet day of demand which makes sense for a lot of them. Places like Target and TRU want exclusives so you walk into their stores and buy more things. You see a game on sale, maybe you'll buy it. This is why GameStop had in store preorders rather than online- you walk in and you might preorder something else or sign up for a credit card. But they also don't want 200 people lined up outside and having to hire extra security, which is why you see preorders show up for stores online. Walmart with Gold Mario for instance was in-store only, because they want you to walk in trying to find it!

4) Stores are trying to get around scalpers because of the headaches wave 3 caused. They've been limiting one per customer, but they also know these scalpers have ways around that online- so they allowed a smaller quantity for online orders. This could be why Amazon is taking forever, they're trying to figure out how to not piss off a bunch of people and stop one guy from buying 100 on 50 accounts they already have with robots setup to buy them.

When you add all of this up, the hassle we've had makes sense. I think a lot of Europe's supply probably changed to US supply too- so now they're facing less supply as people still import from over there on top of a lower supply anyways.

poy1990

Neo Member
Whether it was stores or nintendo themselves, there is no way they weren't able to see this coming. We are 5 waves in with the inclusion of the Super Mario line and I can't believe this bull is still happening. I would rather have the Mario characters as rare and the rest readily available. I am so tired of seeing Mario characters available all the time.

There's just no way they allocated less stock than Lucario when they've seen how these sell out. That cancellation has to be store based and probably because an employee or someone got preferential treatment.

1) Demand has outpaced the supply significantly meaning that more people started with Wave 3 and found it hard as hell to get exclusives so are causing a demand spike that the supply can't keep up with. More scalpers are creating more demand because they made bank with the last wave too. Not to mention the people also buying 3-4 looking as a way to trade for older waves.

2) Supply is restrained due to manufacturing deals that were in place which would make sense to why stores are blaming Nintendo for stock, and Nintendo is blaming stores. They likely spoke to stores initially before deals were in place, got initial orders and then went to production and made the deals. They can't manufacture more without going back and getting a contract signed, and stores can't/won't order more because Nintendo has no stock sitting in a warehouse and wants the product now rather than months from now. The stores probably don't want to give up shelf space for 50+ figures, and Nintendo isn't going to keep a warehouse full and sit on unsold stock when their business model for amiibo is to circle through models with varying usability.

3) Stores are holding back stock to meet day of demand which makes sense for a lot of them. Places like Target and TRU want exclusives so you walk into their stores and buy more things. You see a game on sale, maybe you'll buy it. This is why GameStop had in store preorders rather than online- you walk in and you might preorder something else or sign up for a credit card. But they also don't want 200 people lined up outside and having to hire extra security, which is why you see preorders show up for stores online. Walmart with Gold Mario for instance was in-store only, because they want you to walk in trying to find it!

4) Stores are trying to get around scalpers because of the headaches wave 3 caused. They've been limiting one per customer, but they also know these scalpers have ways around that online- so they allowed a smaller quantity for online orders. This could be why Amazon is taking forever, they're trying to figure out how to not piss off a bunch of people and stop one guy from buying 100 on 50 accounts they already have with robots setup to buy them.

When you add all of this up, the hassle we've had makes sense. I think a lot of Europe's supply probably changed to US supply too- so now they're facing less supply as people still import from over there on top of a lower supply anyways.

While not an easy thing for Nintendo to do, finding a solution is really on them at this point. They just have to make more, which I realize takes time and resources, but why can't Nintendo just come out and say "we are producing more of the rare characters and they will release by the end of the year?" That seems like a reasonable timeline and it would be enough to maybe calm the concerns of the consumer, which in turn, might make the situation that much less stressful. They continue to say nothing, and whether or not that is intentional, it's pretty clear the ball is in Nintendo's court to fix things.

i read on reddit that amiibonews toys r us didnt hand out pre order cards and rang up 15 pre orders when they only had 10

what the fuck toys r us, how dont you know how many you are getting

thats why his order got cancelled.

While not an easy thing for Nintendo to do, finding a solution is really on them at this point. They just have to make more, which I realize takes time and resources, but why can't Nintendo just come out and say "we are producing more of the rare characters and they will release by the end of the year?" That seems like a reasonable timeline and it would be enough to maybe calm the concerns of the consumer, which in turn, might make the situation that much less stressful. They continue to say nothing, and whether or not that is intentional, it's pretty clear the ball is in Nintendo's court to fix things.

That would be a very wise solution, now allow me to present this counter-arguement.

It's Nintendo

Vidiot

The true assholes in all of this are Nintendo. Purposely making these things impossible to obtain for anyone who has a job/school. I how their next console flops harder then the virtual boy. [/salt]

kirby_fox

Banned
Whether it was stores or nintendo themselves, there is no way they weren't able to see this coming. We are 5 waves in with the inclusion of the Super Mario line and I can't believe this bull is still happening. I would rather have the Mario characters as rare and the rest readily available. I am so tired of seeing Mario characters available all the time.

Demand is lower for those characters since they were initially already part of the Smash wave and have little difference. Since a lot jumped in for the Smash wave, you can see more supply of Mario. It makes more sense on the market too for more popular characters (Mario) to get more stock than those who aren't as known (Captain Falcon). Not to mention that supply had no issue up until people started realizing they were hard to find.

Production, shipping, etc. is costly and stores could not be playing ball with Nintendo either. Their plan doesn't seem to be to sit on stock, which is very intentional as warehouse costs money and having a back inventory is bad for business. I would guess that demand is really hard to gauge right now too-- how many of these are artificially rare because of scalpers and people buying multiples of them?

It's in Nintendo's court to fix things, but expecting the solution "make more!" isn't just the solution- they have to figure out how many, if they can get into the manufacturer, if they can make that many by then, etc. etc.

I agree with a lot of this and while I do think that there is certainly a supply problem I think its not just the demand that has grown from customers but also from scalpers trying to make easy money and thats whats hurting online orders more then anything else.

The true assholes in all of this are Nintendo. Purposely making these things impossible to obtain for anyone who has a job/school. I how their next console flops harder then the virtual boy. [/salt]

believe in the holiday flood, they will start selling them on their site x flood stores x take orders before manufacturing them

they gotta make their money back from wii u somehow ;) we are to blame for the scare of amiibos , boom

DooD1234

Man, catching up in these posts, the amiibos are getting crazier. I wonder how some employees at TRU feel when they saw a line just to preorder what is pretty much a $14 toy. That just insane what this is becoming.

Anyone know where I could preorder imports for Greninja and Jigglypuff? I have a feeling I won't be able to find them at retail. Otherwise I might just buy from scalpers with a $30 limit because that how much imports with shipping usually costs. So close to finishing the smash line.

In other news, amazon.uk came through for me. I can expect my Ness and Lucina sometime in May.

Anyone know where I could preorder imports for Greninja and Jigglypuff? I have a feeling I won't be able to find them at retail. Otherwise I might just buy from scalpers with a $30 limit because that how much imports with shipping usually costs. So close to finishing the smash line.
Right now the only place outside the US I know of that hasn't put them up is Amazon UK. Even then there's no guarantee they will export to the US.

People are still mad over the availability of these amiibo and I'm not sure why.
When they first announced amiibos they'd promise all the most popular Nintendo characters to be readily available, and stated that the other would be limited.

I have taken this amiibo business with a grain of salt and am only missing three rares without having to import or pay a dollar over MSRP.

*deal with it shades*

People are still mad over the availability of these amiibo and I'm not sure why.
When they first announced amiibos they'd promise all the most popular Nintendo characters to be readily available, and stated that the other would be limited.

I have taken this amiibo business with a grain of salt and am only missing three rares without having to import or pay a dollar over MSRP.

*deal with it shades*

Nintendo has grossly underestimated the popularity of many of their characters then.

Man, catching up in these posts, the amiibos are getting crazier. I wonder how some employees at TRU feel when they saw a line just to preorder what is pretty much a $14 toy. That just insane what this is becoming.

In other news, amazon.uk came through for me. I can expect my Ness and Lucina sometime in May.

It's not nearly the first nor last time something like this happens. There are always toy crazes. Tickle Me Elmo, Furbees, Beanie Babies, Power Rangers. Hot ticket items for kids
adults
where supply can't
or won't
match demand.

poy1990

Neo Member
Especially the Pokemon characters. Didn't Nintendo think that people who love Pokemon would be out there buying these Amiibo just because they are Pokemon Amiibo??? Pokemon is known worldwide Nintendo should have thought this through and not just believe that the Mario characters were only going to be the most popular ones. To think Jigglypuff, Lucario, and Greninja exclusives. I can understand Fire emblem characters but Pokemon as exclusives, its ridiculous to me.

DooD1234

It's not nearly the first nor last time something like this happens. There are always toy crazes. Tickle Me Elmo, Furbees, Beanie Babies, Power Rangers. Hot ticket items for kids
adults
where supply can't
or won't
match demand.
I heard about those craze but I never gave much thought to them because I have no interest in those. I'm only noticing amiibo because I'm part of the problem lol.

kirby_fox

Banned
Especially the Pokemon characters. Didn't Nintendo think that people who love Pokemon would be out there buying these Amiibo just because they are Pokemon Amiibo??? Pokemon is known worldwide Nintendo should have thought this through and not just believe that the Mario characters were only going to be the most popular ones. To think Jigglypuff, Lucario, and Greninja exclusives. I can understand Fire emblem characters but Pokemon as exclusives, its ridiculous to me.

Lucario I think had plenty of stock, but scalpers made it artificially rare. I fully expect Jiggly and Greninja to be on store shelves, and that there's a much smaller supply online in order to maintain a bit of order on release day.

I could be totally wrong, but I don't see much complexity in Greninja or Jigglypuff models and they've been really trying to halt scalpers from bleeding the stock dry and making it really difficult for them to buy multiples.

Lucario I think had plenty of stock, but scalpers made it artificially rare. I fully expect Jiggly and Greninja to be on store shelves, and that there's a much smaller supply online in order to maintain a bit of order on release day.

I could be totally wrong, but I don't see much complexity in Greninja or Jigglypuff models and they've been really trying to halt scalpers from bleeding the stock dry and making it really difficult for them to buy multiples.

I will give Nintendo credit here; it looks like it'd be really difficult to actually obtain a decent stock of these items the way things have been this wave. Somehow, though, it is still happening. How did some sellers on ebay get 10 US version Ness pre-orders exactly? That's what boggles my mind.

*deal with it shades*

I have 1-upped you. 3-upped, actually. I have ALL of them without paying over MSRP... unless you count paying around $19 for Meta Knight because I didn't have free shipping from Best Buy.

Also, I
don't have Jigglypuff secured yet.

I 1 upped everybody! I have 0 rares, that's right. I have every damn common and 0 rares!

I do have a Ness on preorder though. My first rare.

kirby_fox

Banned
I will give Nintendo credit here; it looks like it'd be really difficult to actually obtain a decent stock of these items the way things have been this wave. Somehow, though, it is still happening. How did some sellers on ebay get 10 US version Ness pre-orders exactly? That's what boggles my mind.

You could get more by going to another store. 2 people driving around a city could hit 5 stores pretty easy I'd think. There were areas around here with two in minutes of each other a few years ago. Hell, I think in the 30 on the highway for me to work there's like 3 close to the exit.

It was up for a bit, I could see someone doing it.

SaviourMK2

Guess I should count myself lucky my Greninjas are still untouched

I'm honestly shocked that NoA is handling this worse than Wave 3.

They get worse every wave

Piscus

Yeh they certainly raised the bar for the real face type characters. Poor Marf.

Actually, they all look amazing. No lazy eyes on Wario or Charizard, legit paint on Pac-Man and Ness. Glad they stepped it up in time for the waves with my favorite characters!

iCodec

Ness and Splatoon GameStop preorders go out May 29 correct? For some reason the guy said April 29 back when I preordered them.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom