• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Amiibo Thread 6 | We're up all night to get salty

Status
Not open for further replies.

Drago

Ganondorf should be common as hell right? think I can forgo that one, and instead go after Palutena.
If freaking Shiek was common, Ganondorf will be too. There's a lot of hysteria right now but I don''t see anyway that Ganondorf becomes rare.

Only benefit to importing him now is to secure him and also get him 3 months early, IMO.

RootCause

Aren't they even super rare importing as well though? Didn't amazon just sell out of wave 5 in minutes? lol
Yeah, but people are panicking right now(self included), I can't see the likes of Ganon being rare, but I'm just gonna have to reserve the guy, and not worry about a thing till wave 6.

Gameboy415

Yeesh, Wave 5 went up on Amazon UK like 2 minutes after I went out to mow my lawn.
That's what I get for trying to be responsible! haha

No big deal though, I'll try for US versions when they go up in the next few months.

kirby_fox

Banned
Nothing solid, just talked to about 5 different managers I know in the area and their info overlap. Dwindling stock in their stores with lack of any sort of restock available only helps their info. Then again, corporate tends to keep everyone in the dark. Still zero talk about Shulk even though the resupply is in a few days.

I also doubt that this would stop them from having exclusives. These contracts are done on a monthly basis, rather this whole thing is far more likely to be already set in stone rather than they having to try and bargain between each wave. Sounds way too much of a hassle. I honestly do believe that Gamestop is regretting getting sucked into amiibos at this point. They are not going to change their internal system to support a toy they don't make that much of a profit on to begin with.

I have a strong feeling exclusives have to be offered in stores as part of the deal. Nintendo wants shelf space, they want people to see Mario figures sitting there reminding people of their brand and I think that's why Amazon hasn't seen an exclusive and won't. Retail space is part of their plan to get more people to buy a Nintendo console I'm sure. Considering how it was dwindling in GameStop when the Wii was going out, I don't see them getting another exclusive unless they offer it in-store. And if they only offer that one, but all Wave 5 isn't that'll just be a bigger mess.

On top of that, exclusives are to get you in the door anyways. If you're out looking for Gold Mario, walk by and see a sale on shirts, you may stop and grab a few shirts. You've been to 10 stores and are thirsty, grab yourself a drink at Walmart while you're there. Got tired of looking for amiibo and are hungry? Grab a snack at the Walmart deli's hot foods table! GS is likely using it so their cashiers can get them to preorder a game, or sign up for the reward thing or a magazine sub or whatever they're trying to add.

Making it online only would mean they likely gave up any future exclusives they had.

BatDan

Bane? Get them on board, I'll call it in.
Just bought the Super Mario versions of Luigi, Peach, and Yoshi. All I have left is Mario and Silver Mario.

The Target & Gamestop near me are a joke right now. Nothing but commons.

My plan right now is 1-2 amiibo a week, unless a reprint happens. I really hope the Marth reprint isn't May 29th (I already have the Splatoon 3-pack and Jigglypuff pre-ordered, plus I have to get Splatoon).

Rocky

Banned
I have a strong feeling exclusives have to be offered in stores as part of the deal. Nintendo wants shelf space, they want people to see Mario figures sitting there reminding people of their brand and I think that's why Amazon hasn't seen an exclusive and won't. Retail space is part of their plan to get more people to buy a Nintendo console I'm sure. Considering how it was dwindling in GameStop when the Wii was going out, I don't see them getting another exclusive unless they offer it in-store. And if they only offer that one, but all Wave 5 isn't that'll just be a bigger mess.

On top of that, exclusives are to get you in the door anyways. If you're out looking for Gold Mario, walk by and see a sale on shirts, you may stop and grab a few shirts. You've been to 10 stores and are thirsty, grab yourself a drink at Walmart while you're there. Got tired of looking for amiibo and are hungry? Grab a snack at the Walmart deli's hot foods table! GS is likely using it so their cashiers can get them to preorder a game, or sign up for the reward thing or a magazine sub or whatever they're trying to add.

Making it online only would mean they likely gave up any future exclusives they had.

This is the biggest crock of shit I've ever heard. First of all, the Wii U is still selling like shit, Amiibos aren't helping it at all.

And exclusives get people in the door, but they are going back out the door a few seconds later after the doors open, because that's how long it was before the entire stock sells out. And if they weren't lucky enough to get one, chances are they are too pissed off to go buy something else and just leave immediately. And they are probably also pissed at the retailer and will probably not shop there again.

So if that's what they are thinking with these exclusives, they need to wake the fuck up and notice that's its backfiring on both Nintendo and the retailer.

RootCause

Just bought the Super Mario versions of Luigi, Peach, and Yoshi. All I have left is Mario and Silver Mario.

The Target & Gamestop near me are a joke right now. Nothing but commons.

My plan right now is 1-2 amiibo a week, unless a reprint happens. I really hope the Marth reprint isn't May 29th (I already have the Splatoon 3-pack and Jigglypuff pre-ordered, plus I have to get Splatoon).
Is the reprint for one particular store? For the sake of those looking for Marth I hope it's not on the 29. The wave 4 will be in full effect.

Amiibo |OT 7| When other countries are your only chance
Amiibo |OT 7| Thank Goodness for Google Translate
Amiibo |OT 7| 5/8 there means 8/5 here, damnit!

rjinaz

I don't know why I just placed orders for Lucina and Robin at B&H photo. I think I may be a glutton for punishment. Still, this wave I think it's worth the chance.

Thanks Byron for the heads up on LINE.

Edit: I guess this is old news? Dang probably shouldn't have bothered then.

//ARCANUM

I don't know why I just placed orders for Lucina and Robin at B&H photo. I think I may be a glutton for punishment. Still, this wave I think it's worth the chance.

Thanks Byron for the heads up on LINE.

Edit: I guess this is old news? Dang probably shouldn't have bothered then.

i placed an order too. better to have an order get cancelled than to never have it when you could have gotten it :/

rjinaz

What's B&H? :O lol

They are actually a reliable chain, I believe mostly in New York. I have ordered from them before for various things like printers. But their record when it comes to amiibo is horrid. Mostly because:

They put up preorders for amiibo they had no chance of actually getting such as villager well after they sold out everywhere.

They leave open preorders pretty much indefinitely having no actual hope of fulling even a fraction of them.

So basically they are clueless at best. Still, wave 4 being what it is...

RootCause

They are actually a reliable chain, I believe mostly in New York. I have ordered from them before for various things like printers. But their record when it comes to amiibo is horrid. Mostly because:

They put up preorders for amiibo they had no chance of actually getting such as villager well after they sold out everywhere.

They leave open preorders pretty much indefinitely having no actual hope of fulling even a fraction of them.

So basically they are clueless at best. Still, wave 4 being what it is...
lol I google searched them immediately. Didn't seem scammy so I placed the order. Can't hurt, right? :p

RootCause

Best title

Yeah I might just import from here on out , fuck you NoA
I'll wait for the holiday restock x flood ;) believe

Lucina arrived today :3 looks really good , not like marth but I don't have marth so I can't compare :(
Marth is ugleh! Mine isn't even derpy, but still. Nowhere near the likes of Shulk, Ike, and other humans.

Sheeeeeeet wave 5 on UK.

Last time I go to the dentist.

I know the feeling, I normally check this thread about the time Wave 5 went up, but today I decided to get back to work right after eating and completely forgot to check. Sigh, oh well, maybe Gamestop's in store orders will go easier when Dark Pit and Palutena go live sometime in the next month or two.

kirby_fox

Banned
This is the biggest crock of shit I've ever heard. First of all, the Wii U is still selling like shit, Amiibos aren't helping it at all.

And exclusives get people in the door, but they are going back out the door a few seconds later after the doors open, because that's how long it was before the entire stock sells out. And if they weren't lucky enough to get one, chances are they are too pissed off to go buy something else and just leave immediately. And they are probably also pissed at the retailer and will probably not shop there again.

So if that's what they are thinking with these exclusives, they need to wake the fuck up and notice that's its backfiring on both Nintendo and the retailer.

The only ones mad are people like us who can't get this shit and want to buy in. Vocal minority of the Internet.

Exclusives have always gotten people in the door, and are always a strategy to get people to buy more. Imagine if 100 people walked in to try to find Rosalina, and of those 100, 50 bought a $2 drink. $100 in sales they wouldn't have had. Imagine mom sees this exclusive product in an ad and had to go shopping anyway, goes there and they're sold out so she gets Peach instead because her daughter likes both characters. She then spends $100 while there. 10 moms do that. That's $1000 that would be at another store!!! It's a known marketing strategy and always has been.

This problem hasn't even hit mainstream news yet on a large scale and likely won't. Grown men complaining about not being able to buy a toy isn't exactly a news story people care about :-\...

Hi there, everyone! Long time no see! Sorry I've been away for forever, but I've been keeping busy with the Line chat ever since we started it back in February, so I haven't been posting here. Those of you who have been here for a while will remember my custom commission project for all Alt color Robot Master powers of Mega Man to be painted on 7 different amiibos, which would conceptually have looked like this:

sept16_2.jpg

Is finally complete and shipping out to me by the week's end!! YEESS! Here's a pic Saludos Amiibos took before he shipped them:

iSUjKRwh.jpg

And a close up of Top Spin Mega Man:

BJPuxrw.jpg

It's taken months and many delays, but I'm freakin' excited that it's finally happening and I'll have them within the week. Thanks for the interest, folks! Pics will follow soon enough, so stay tuned!

Hi there, everyone! Long time no see! Sorry I've been away for forever, but I've been keeping busy with the Line chat ever since we started it back in February, so I haven't been posting here. Those of you who have been here for a while will remember my custom commission project for all Alt color Robot Master powers of Mega Man to be painted on 7 different amiibos, which would conceptually have looked like this:

sept16_2.jpg

Is finally complete and shipping out to me by the week's end!! YEESS! Here's a pic Saludos Amiibos took before he shipped them:

iSUjKRwh.jpg

BJPuxrw.jpg

It's taken months and many delays, but I'm freakin' excited that it's finally happening and I'll have them within the week. Thanks for the interest, folks! Pics will follow soon enough, so stay tuned!

Damn that's pretty impressive, they'll definitely look sweet all displayed together.

RootCause

sept16_2.jpg

iSUjKRwh.jpg

BJPuxrw.jpg

I asked about you a couple of times. Wanted to see them MM. Though back then I didn't have an account.
Those look awesome.

D

Diggeh

Unconfirmed Member

Gem became LINE exclusive so I could take over AmiiboGAF.

Keikaku doori

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom