• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Amiibo Thread 6 | We're up all night to get salty

Status
Not open for further replies.

Rocky

Banned
The only ones mad are people like us who can't get this shit and want to buy in. Vocal minority of the Internet.

Exclusives have always gotten people in the door, and are always a strategy to get people to buy more. Imagine if 100 people walked in to try to find Rosalina, and of those 100, 50 bought a $2 drink. $100 in sales they wouldn't have had. Imagine mom sees this exclusive product in an ad and had to go shopping anyway, goes there and they're sold out so she gets Peach instead because her daughter likes both characters. She then spends $100 while there. 10 moms do that. That's $1000 that would be at another store!!! It's a known marketing strategy and always has been.

This problem hasn't even hit mainstream news yet on a large scale and likely won't. Grown men complaining about not being able to buy a toy isn't exactly a news story people care about :-\...

At the Target I went to on Rosalina launch day, there was a line of about 25-30 people. They ran out in minutes after the doors opened. There were about 15-20 people that didn't get a Rosalina. None bought a Peach instead, all were pissed off and left the store without buying anything else, cursing Target and Nintendo. Some did have other items they had wanted to purchase, but put them on a shelf as they were walking out.

I don't know about any marketing strategies, but I do know most marketing is a load of BS and lies designed to convince people to buy things they don't really want or need. When I go to a store to buy something, if I find it's sold out, I'm pretty annoyed and don't feel like buying anything else.

I demand a video of them all fighting at once Blue! I want to see all that spam flying through the air!
I wish I knew how to properly record that to share with everyone!

Also, thanks folks, very happy that this is finally a reality! I've been waiting for this, and I'm freakin' exciiiited!

REDUCE SHIPPING PRICE FROM AMAZON UK FOR MULTIPLE ORDERS

I ended up placing 3 orders today from Amazon UK from the various pre-orders that went live today.

Order 1 - Blue and Green Yoshi
Order 2 - Pink Yoshi (wasn't available for international shipping until much later than the other 2)
Order 3 - Wave 5 (ZSS, Ganondorf, Palutena, Dark Pit)

Each had a shipping charge since they went live in a staggered manner, so I used the support chat on Amazon UK and they waived the shipping charge on 2 of the 3 orders. So I am only paying the 6 pounds for one order.

So each one comes to $24.35 CAN ($20.27 USD) per amiibo, keep in mind that the Yarn Yoshis are more expensive than the regular ones. An amiibo with tax in Ontario, Canada comes to $18.10 CAN, so that is only $6 more per amiibo, not bad at all!

Woohoo!

G0523

I ended up placing 3 orders today from Amazon UK from the various pre-orders that went live today.

Order 2 - Pink Yoshi (wasn't available for international shipping until much later than the other 2)

Each had a shipping charge since they went live in a staggered manner, so I used the support chat on Amazon UK and they waived the shipping charge on 2 of the 3 orders. So I am only paying the 6 pounds for one order.

Woohoo!

Damn, that's great! Wish I could do something similar for international shipping to US.

Great; busiest day at work this week and that's when Amazon UK goes up for about 10 minutes tops. They were my last hope at getting Jiggly and Greninja online and not a reseller. I guess I'll just wait until the end of next month to see if there's any chance of getting them at retail. This is honestly the most frustrating experience I've had related to video games. Nintendo's handling of this has been totally unacceptable.

Anime

Neo Member
I have a question for those in Europe are you angered by americans purchasing european stock?

Im genuinely interested as these appear to be selling out even faster than back then.So not only is NA suffering from stock issues but Europe will as well as a result of importers.

Cappa

Banned
I have a question for those in Europe are you angered by americans purchasing european stock?

Im genuinely interested as these appear to be selling out even faster than back then.So not only is NA suffering from stock issues but Europe will as well as a result of importers.

europe is suffering with or without importers. There is nothing at retail stores, nothing.

Wave 4 sold out in 30 minutes on Amazon UK. It lasted like 10 today

G0523

I am sure they would!

Just go into the chat support and talk to them about it. They cleared shipping from 2 of 3.

Just did. They unfortunately couldn't combine the shipping costs for my orders. One was just Palutena and the other was Dark Pit, Zero Suit Samus, and Ganondorf all in one order. But they did say that they can waive the shipping costs for the bigger order. I accepted that. So that's great! Now instead of paying $93 for these 4 amiibo, I'm paying $79! Thank you very much for the suggestion, Byron! :D

kirby_fox

Banned
At the Target I went to on Rosalina launch day, there was a line of about 25-30 people. They ran out in minutes after the doors opened. There were about 15-20 people that didn't get a Rosalina. None bought a Peach instead, all were pissed off and left the store without buying anything else, cursing Target and Nintendo. Some did have other items they had wanted to purchase, but put them on a shelf as they were walking out.

I don't know about any marketing strategies, but I do know most marketing is a load of BS and lies designed to convince people to buy things they don't really want or need. When I go to a store to buy something, if I find it's sold out, I'm pretty annoyed and don't feel like buying anything else.

You don't really understand marketing then. That's only part of it ;-).

While nice anecdotal evidence, that's not the demo Target cares about getting in the door. That's why I said "mom" specifically. Mom doesn't know about gaming, she just knows her daughter/son wants an amiibo. She sees Rosalina, exclusive to Target, and winds up with Peach instead because there's Peach there. The daughter doesn't care either, it's a character she wanted.

Thus why we're the vocal minority. The only demographic people like us are a part of is probably GameStop who serve the hardcore fans and are used to telling people "too bad, it's sold out."

I get that you're angry Rocky, I was mad too when Wave 4 went up and I had nothing and was ready to walk away after weeks of nothing preordered. But if you think it's hurting them and things will change, think again. It's complete bs we as consumers have to deal with low stock, but all we can do is be vocal and hope things change. The strategies I'm seeing don't have an easy answer unfortunately- so I'd prepare for it to not get any better if demand steadily increases.

Hi there, everyone! Long time no see! Sorry I've been away for forever, but I've been keeping busy with the Line chat ever since we started it back in February, so I haven't been posting here. Those of you who have been here for a while will remember my custom commission project for all Alt color Robot Master powers of Mega Man to be painted on 7 different amiibos, which would conceptually have looked like this:

sept16_2.jpg

Is finally complete and shipping out to me by the week's end!! YEESS! Here's a pic Saludos Amiibos took before he shipped them:

iSUjKRwh.jpg

And a close up of Top Spin Mega Man:

BJPuxrw.jpg

It's taken months and many delays, but I'm freakin' excited that it's finally happening and I'll have them within the week. Thanks for the interest, folks! Pics will follow soon enough, so stay tuned!
Awesome! Happy to see them turn out so well, especially Leaf Shield Mega Man.
2596154-patrick_thumbsup.gif

ZeroX03

Banned
Hi there, everyone! Long time no see! Sorry I've been away for forever, but I've been keeping busy with the Line chat ever since we started it back in February, so I haven't been posting here. Those of you who have been here for a while will remember my custom commission project for all Alt color Robot Master powers of Mega Man to be painted on 7 different amiibos, which would conceptually have looked like this:

sept16_2.jpg

Is finally complete and shipping out to me by the week's end!! YEESS! Here's a pic Saludos Amiibos took before he shipped them:

iSUjKRwh.jpg

And a close up of Top Spin Mega Man:

BJPuxrw.jpg

It's taken months and many delays, but I'm freakin' excited that it's finally happening and I'll have them within the week. Thanks for the interest, folks! Pics will follow soon enough, so stay tuned!

Fantastic stuff!

HUELEN10

Seems one of my orders flubbed and I MIGHT get an Extra Pac should anyone want it; I'll keep you all in the loop.

Isn't he likely to be common like Sonic though?

Just did. They unfortunately couldn't combine the shipping costs for my orders. One was just Palutena and the other was Dark Pit, Zero Suit Samus, and Ganondorf all in one order. But they did say that they can waive the shipping costs for the bigger order. I accepted that. So that's great! Now instead of paying $93 for these 4 amiibo, I'm paying $79! Thank you very much for the suggestion, Byron! :D

Great news! Glad I was able to help.

zdefonte

Neo Member

So each one comes to $24.35 CAN ($20.27 USD) per amiibo, keep in mind that the Yarn Yoshis are more expensive than the regular ones. An amiibo with tax in Ontario, Canada comes to $18.10 CAN, so that is only $6 more per amiibo, not bad at all!

Woohoo!
I didn't have as much luck as you trying a CSR waive the shipping costs. This CSR was straight to the point "I'm sorry, we cannot waive the shipping charges. This is the same as with all customers." I was like...um, no. I'll keep trying 'til I get a nicer CSR.

I didn't have as much luck as you trying a CSR waive the shipping costs. This CSR was straight to the point "I'm sorry, we cannot waive the shipping charges. This is the same as with all customers." I was like...um, no. I'll keep trying 'til I get a nicer CSR.

That's your best bet. Keep at it!

Mob

The UK sites that don't ship overseas sell out in minutes anyway so I don't get angry about Americans buying EU stock personally.

The stores here don't have any product on the shelf 10 minutes after opening on release days either.

The stock situation seems to be a joke everywhere, In my opinion the only difference between UK and US is we don't get any retailer exclusives, which I'm very grateful for!

I am a bit salty over missing out on 75% of the characters today. I don't really blame Americans though, it is not their fault.

This guy here ticks me off though:

https://twitter.com/Amiibo_Fan/status/593403767372062721

RootCause

I am a bit salty over missing out on 75% of the characters today. I don't really blame Americans though, it is not their fault.

This guy here ticks me off though:

https://twitter.com/Amiibo_Fan/status/593403767372062721
Wow! Attention starved. If he was just a regular scalper, he'd keep quiet and sell them every couple of days.
I do wonder what would happen if someone brought it up to Amazon. Like, I can understand someone buying two, but £1000 is a shit load of Amiibo. Doesn't seem fair at all.

RootCause

lol

And this is why "don't feed the scalpers" or they'll keep flocking around each wave like the dirty rat with wings that they are.
I haven't had to purchase from them, but it's becoming very hard not to cave in. What's worse is that the prices seem to be going up, like previous waves. It would start at $30, now it's $50. Yikes😁
Lol at doing it for his followers. Does he expect us to believe he's some kind of super duper nice guy. Yeah, I bet he doesn't charge em the original price.

-Horizon-

I haven't had to purchase from them, but it's becoming very hard not to cave in. What's worse is that the prices seem to be going up, like previous waves. It would start at $30, now it's $50. Yikes😁

At that point, I'd just look in the mirror and remind myself "they're just stupid toys".
I could buy a game or two with that $50 and actually do something rather than just put something on a shelf to gather dust.

ExVicis

At that point, I'd just look in the mirror and remind myself "they're just stupid toys".
I could buy a game or two with that $50 and actually do something rather than just put something on a shelf to gather dust.
I guess I'm a weirdo since my Little Mac is actually level 50 and I regularly have him fight Samus.

RootCause

You're right. Just a couple of months, and I can move on from this mess.

Vena

You really should just take it nice and slow, lol. They are just toys. :p

And if Splat was any indication, the non-Smash ones won't be gone in minutes, lol. Walmart had Splat up for a long while.

RootCause

I guess I'm a weirdo since my Little Mac is actually level 50 and I regularly have him fight Samus.
It's not that they're useless, plenty of games support them, but $50 is really steep. $30 is my threshold, unless I'm only missing one Amiibo for the full set.

xinek

And if Splat was any indication, the non-Smash ones won't be gone in minutes, lol. Walmart had Splat up for a long while.

Hope so. I'm holding out for release day Splatoon amiibo at Best Buy -- I want that gamer's club discount! If they're not available, then I can live without them. Maybe.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom