• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Amiibo Thread 6 | We're up all night to get salty

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ferga

I go to Target to buy some 2 dollar notebooks and I end up seeing these 3 things staring at me....

Go into Target set on spending 4 dollars but end up spending 55. God damn it..

0XqZifWl.jpg

Bii

I go to Target to buy some 2 dollar notebooks and I end up seeing these 3 things staring at me....

Go into Target set on spending 4 dollars but end up spending 55. God damn it..

Isn't Meta Knight Best Buy exclusive? Or am I missing something here?

Velcro Fly

Playing through Fire Emblem: Awakening again right now just makes me want that Robin and Lucina even more. I will be devastated if Best Buy pulls some shit like they did with my Ike two days before release.

rjinaz

Woah B & H actually already took down the wave 4 preorders? Maybe there is actually hope after all! They may actually know how many they are getting this time.

I just had Pac-man in my Best Buy cart and was ready to check out when I decided to go double back, just to make sure I couldn't pre-order any more. When I finally went to check out...

He was gone.

D

Diggeh

Unconfirmed Member
Where's that guy been?

FigureGAF. He pops into my threads to leave a troll comment and leaves, which is how I coined the phrase Drive-By Eining. He's a good guy, it's just really funny to see those.

kirby_fox

Banned
being actively angry seeing people get thiese figures is making me think about my priorities.

Ask yourself: "If this wasn't rare and everyone could buy it, would I be buying these still? Would I really want to spend all of this money?"

It's helped me a little bit until I started saying "Yeah...I would...not all at once, but I would."

Drago

Ask yourself: "If this wasn't rare and everyone could buy it, would I be buying these still? Would I really want to spend all of this money?"

It's helped me a little bit until I started saying "Yeah...I would...not all at once, but I would."
I remember, before amiibos came out, I think I made a post on here asking if people thought amiibos would be on shelves for long enough that buying one or two amiibo a week would be feasable as a way to build a complete collection over time instead of spending so much on them at once.

lol. :(

D

Diggeh

Unconfirmed Member
what's this Ness debacle about?

Recommended background music

B9jqDOj.png

For those of you just joining us, I will recant a tale of terror unlike any other. A day that would live in infamy for the entirety of AmiiboGAF. April 2, 2015.

Ness Day.

1gf6eV0.png

AmiiboGAF was still reeling from the announcement of a Nintendo Direct on April 1. "Nintendo must be messing with us. Surely they can't be THIS cruel?" Unfortunately it was all too real. The worst part was that the Direct was revealing amiibo and launch dates left and right. We had retreated to the newly created Best OT to seek shelter from the storm. Little did we know the true storm was just beginning. While everyone was speculating over this wave's store exclusives, GameStop tweeted this little number:

2FvqPJF.png

A memo was leaked that GameStop would be taking preorders for Wave 4 and the Splatoon series, and that Ness would be their exclusive. Just as the internet was beginning to doubt the validity (I mean, come on, available the day AFTER the Direct?), GameStop announced a fixed time and place, along with exclusivity rights for arguably the winner of the Most Likely To Be Impossible To Own awards, Ness himself. It was the day IMMEDIATELY FOLLOWING THE DIRECT, April 2. Many individuals decided to trust the "available online" portion of the tweet. I knew better. I will now delve into my own personal GameStop encounter.

nMpmhwJ.png

Even though Web-in-Store orders wouldn't start until noon PST, I arrived at my GameStop at 9 AM and was first in line. I ended up befriending two fellow GAFers and urged them to seek shelter in Best OT. There was an older gentleman in front of the three of us when the store opened at 10 AM. He walked in, greeted the manager, then produced a sealed black GameCube memory card and attempted to sell it back to the store. He was refused and quickly left the store. Probably thought it was one of those fancy "GameCube Adapters" to get rich off of.

eek5sbx.jpg

The three of us were given stickers with numbers on them to denote our place in line. We had a hearty discussion about gaming and such while other people slowly filtered in. During the downtime between 10 and 12, Best Buy put Wave 4 up. Naturally, Robin and Lucina were gone in seconds, but I managed to get Wario/Pac-Man/Charizard with sweet sweet GCU.

IfcgXIo.png

By the time noon rolled around, there were over 30 people in line. Me and the second person in line got to the registers. Before noon hit, we discovered two things online:
1) A memo from GameStop saying they were NOT going to be doing online orders.
2) EVERY GAMESTOP IN THE COUNTRY WAS GOING TO ACCESS THE SAME SYSTEM TO ORDER ALL AT ONCE.

YWlvQCU.gif

Noon hit and the insanity began. It took over an hour for the first three people in line to get their orders in. It went like this: "Ness is in your cart, Lucina is adding to yours. Now Lucina's adding to yours and I'm refreshing his for Ness." There was a bundle for all of Wave 4 including Ness, but that quickly sold out.

AiIrkmb.gif

There were a couple of people who walked in to do typical GS stuff only to be met with a giant line and all PCs being used up. One mother wanted to buy a Disney game for her child. One older gentleman (not GameCube Memory Card Guy) was waiting for the line to die down so he could "renew his membership". One kid only came in for a physical copy of Far Cry 4 and didn't understand why "Nintendo Skylanders Amiibos" are so popular.

JOZAqY0.png

Eventually I got my Ness/Lucina/Robin and the three of us made it out of the store unscathed. I felt sorry for those poor souls that couldn't wait 3 hours to get a Ness, and I highly doubt Ness will be offered online or in stores.

Unfortunately, the problems didn't just end with store insanity. Horror stories emerged where people's orders didn't exist or ended up being duplicate orders. Some lucky souls who filled out a survey were called and were allowed to place Wave 4 orders for their troubles.

That is how $12.99 figures brought down the entire GameStop infrastructure. This is Diggeh Mandrake, and Amazon still has not put up Wave 4 while other countries already have Wave 5 and Mewtwo/Lucas preordered.

zR3sOJp.gif

Why hasn't SunhiLegend made an AmiiboGAF gift yet? Do we not deserve it after our struggles? ;)

Ryfferr

By the time noon rolled around, there were over 30 people in line. Me and the second person in line got to the registers. Before noon hit, we discovered two things online:
1) A memo from GameStop saying they were NOT going to be doing online orders.
2) EVERY GAMESTOP IN THE COUNTRY WAS GOING TO ACCESS THE SAME SYSTEM TO ORDER ALL AT ONCE.

YWlvQCU.gif

Noon hit and the insanity began. It took over an hour for the first three people in line to get their orders in. It went like this: "Ness is in your cart, Lucina is adding to yours. Now Lucina's adding to yours and I'm refreshing his for Ness." There was a bundle for all of Wave 4 including Ness, but that quickly sold out.

tumblr_mr6xgxfd0t1re0haho1_400.gif

kirby_fox

Banned
It's now 28 days later from that day. I had a plan, it was easy-- 2 PM was 3 PM here on the east coast and I got off at 2:30. Perfect, I thought to myself. I could rush to my car, rush home and hope that in the few minutes I had they still had online preorders.

But I was hurting for that amiibo money. I was offered to cover someone that night, I figured why not. I could still order the amiibo at 3 on my phone and be done with waiting forever. As long as the mobile site worked and nothing crashed, I'd be fine.

I sat in our locker room, my wallet out watching as GAF counted down the time. 2:55. A few more minutes, a few more refreshes. 2:57. People getting nervous. 2:59. Start the refreshing. Nothing came up. Nothing new. GAF saw nothing. GameStop was crashing everywhere but mobile. 3:10 and nothing. They weren't doing them online now, and the talk shifted to them doing it online later. Fine, I thought. I got off at 8, maybe they would hold off.

I got texts about it from a fellow GAF member. The line took forever, but he was able to get his order in. My cousin was trying hard, he got there just in time to realize he had left his new credit card at home...only to get back there and the preorders for Ness be sold out. It was over as I stood at work hiding from managers with my phone out. Ness was gone. Maybe it'll go up online I told myself, trying to find a page but failing to ever do it. Maybe I'll import one with Greninja and Jigglypuff to keep costs down- but it wasn't to be.

I slept that night, but it was not without the taste of salt on my lips reminding me that had I not taken that shift at work...I would have been at a GameStop and had Ness.

ExVicis

What sad sad stories. I am a little salty I missed my chance to get Ness but these stories make it seem like I dodged a bullet of frustration and probably way more salt by having not tried to get Ness or even having known when the release was.

I still remember the times I had no idea what amiibos were or what the big deal was. I went to the store every once and a while and always saw Link, Mario, Luigi, Yoshi, and Peach amongst others but those 5 were the main ones I wanted since I loved those characters since I was 5 in the early 90s. But I held off hoping for sales. Then Mega Man came out and I couldn't find him anywhere!

I finally got a hold of 1 at Walmart and then I became addicted and saw why it was so popular, or as they say, the rest was history. I literally bought every single amiibo I was able to find shortly after from sales at Amazon, NFM and Target, which I learned were all the Commons. Silly how obsessed I am now yet the only way I can obtain these rare ones are the aftermarket or international.

MADGAME

From Reddit

A confidential source (at the corporate level) has confirmed to the mod team some new information about Silver Mario at Best Buy.

~ Nintendo has provided Best Buy with a UPC (045496892067)
~ Best Buy has created a SKU (7352038)
~ At this time, there are no plans in place for in-store or online preorders. This may change, but that's what it's currently looking like.
~ According to their "New Release Calendar" tool, Silver Mario is street dated for May 29

This source, while asking to remain anonymous, has proven reliable in the past and has provided proof to the mod team, but due to its nature, this proof cannot be shared publicly due to identifying information. I'd hope that my reputation here and previous track record in providing you all with information gives this enough credibility. Once we find out more, we will share it here.

http://www.reddit.com/r/amiibo/comments/34ajj0/source_confirms_best_buy_will_receive_silver/

So instead of having preorders these retailers would rather have a mob scene in front of their store over a goddamn $13 toy. Wonderful.

Preordering has really turned to shit lately, and not just with amiibos. I couldn't even preorder Toukiden Kiwami instore at BB even though it was on their preorder kiosk.

Fox Mulder

So instead of having preorders these retailers would rather have a mob scene in front of their store over a goddamn $13 toy. Wonderful.

Stores figure you're already there and might buy other stuff. If you think the amiibo shit has been bad, you should have seen the soccer mom mobs at Target the other week for whatever Lilly Pulitzer clothes are. Insanity.

I was first in line for Ness an hour before it went live at my gamestop. The problem was how every store in the nation was pulling from the same stock instead of stores getting their own allocations. Took nearly an hour just for my order to go through, and I could have missed out being first in line. Fucking dumb.

I also still expect some people to get months long delays after preordering like with shulk and dedede.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom