• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Amiibo Thread 6 | We're up all night to get salty

Status
Not open for further replies.

Velcro Fly

It's a PR statement saying they are going to do what they should have been doing all along. And it's hard to be excited for it until we start seeing reprints come out and see if they are the same criminal undershipping crap as always.

Vena

It's a PR statement saying they are going to do what they should have been doing all along. And it's hard to be excited for it until we start seeing reprints come out and see if they are the same criminal undershipping crap as always.

They've been doing it for a while in Japan, I got a reprinted Marth, for example, when I was on a business trip there. I don't know why it takes so long to actually correlate to changes in the states.

Kai Dracon

Writing a dinosaur space opera symphony
With that statement I really think we're just seeing the consequence of the "panic Nintendo" fans like to talk up as a great thing.

The problem though is Panic Nintendo is also Super Cheap Nintendo. To be honest, Amiibo figures are the kind of niche product Nintendo would usually only market in a small country like Japan. Where shipping is simpler, stock can be moved around easily and quickly, and manufacturing runs can be calculated with fewer variables.

I'm not surprised the US got shafted by all but the most generic Mario characters. Panic Nintendo probably did play it way too safe and wanted to insure only a few characters would really require long term shelf space like Mario and Peach.

rjinaz

No matter what they say, there will be salt. They can be totally unresponsive, and there will be salt. They can apologize till they are blue, but there still will be salt.

You're acting like the people being "salty" don't have a good reason to be.

They could actually fix supply issues instead of just repeatedly saying they are while things continue to get worse, that would be a great start. Or they could just say nothing, that's better than saying things that aren't going to happen. Look back at December's statements made by Nintendo, they are the same then as they are now. Things aren't better, they are worse.

D

Diggeh

Unconfirmed Member
No matter what they say, there will be salt. They can be totally unresponsive, and there will be salt. They can apologize till they are blue, but there still will be salt.

nJ93so0.png

Vena

You're acting like the people being "salty" don't have a good reason to be.

They could actually fix supply issues instead of just repeatedly saying they are while things continue to get worse, that would be a great start. Or they could just say nothing, that's better than saying things that aren't going to happen. Look back at December's statements made by Nintendo, they are the same then as they are now. Things aren't better, they are worse.

Uhh. No?

We have no idea what is causing the supply issue and it could well enough be entirely out of their hands. Nintendo does not control the United States retail chain. They've rather obviously fixed/solved the issue in Europe and Japan... so that only leaves us with one rather sensible option: retail is fucked in the states well and beyond any actual control Nintendo can force.

RootCause

They've been doing it for a while in Japan, I got a reprinted Marth, for example, when I was on a business trip there. I don't know why it takes so long to actually correlate to changes in the states.
Perhaps it's got to do with demand being much higher in the states?
nintendo is Ygritte, and we're all Jon Snow.
large.jpg

rjinaz

Uhh. No?

We have no idea what is causing the supply issue and it could well enough be entirely out of their hands. Nintendo does not control the United States retail chain. They've rather obviously fixed/solved the issue in Europe and Japan... so that only leaves us with one rather sensible option: retail is fucked in the states well and beyond any actual control Nintendo can force.

Only Nintendo can fix the supply issue. How in the world have you concluded confidently enough that it is not in their own hands, while in your own reply to me saying "it could well enough" to give a mocking response of, "uhh no"?

Vena

Only Nintendo can fix the supply issue. How in the world have you concluded confidently enough that it is not in their own hands, while in your own reply to me saying "it could well enough" to give a mocking and smarmy response of, "uhh no"?

Its "uhh. no" because its not something Nintendo can just clap their hands and "fix". Supply isn't purely limited to volume, its also a question of how said volume is transported, accepted, and retailed. If you have the volume (which they seem to, because Europe and Japan have it) then the problem isn't Nintendo's actual physical supply. The chain is fucked up but that is not something Nintendo has any actual control over. (And I think we have plenty of reason to believe that it is the actual chain that's at fault here because, otherwise, what the hell is the point of retail exclusives? Deals are being made for a reason and that reason, seemingly, is retail space limitations and acceptance from the retailers in the States.)

Unless Nintendo simply cannot produce the volume necessary for the States' demand which would, again, be out of the "fix" regions because they can't just magically create new production lines with immediate returns on supply production, such a thing would take months to see a return from. When you see pictures of retail wall stocked full of Amiibo in Japan and Europe, and then look at the US, you have to wonder how such a thing could be possible without external factors impacting Nintendo's ability to stock said shelves.

rjinaz

Its "uhh. no" because its not something Nintendo can just clap their hands and "fix". Supply isn't purely limited to volume, its also a question of how said volume is transported, accepted, and retailed. If you have the volume (which they seem to, because Europe and Japan have it) then the problem isn't Nintendo's actual physical supply. The chain is fucked up but that is not something Nintendo has any actual control over. (And I think we have plenty of reason to believe that it is the actual chain that's at fault here because, otherwise, what the hell is the point of retail exclusives? Deals are being made for a reason and that reason, seemingly, is retail space limitations and acceptance from the retailers in the States.)

Unless Nintendo simply cannot produce the volume necessary for the States' demand which would, again, be out of the "fix" regions because they can't just magically create new production lines with immediate returns on supply production, such a thing would take months to see a return from. When you see pictures of retail wall stocked full of Amiibo in Japan and Europe, and then look at the US, you have to wonder how such a thing could be possible without external factors impacting Nintendo's ability to stock said shelves.

Never did I say it was something that could be magically fixed in an instant. Let's not pretend they haven't known about the supply demand since December. That's almost 6 months now. That aside, I do think there may be some truth to what you are saying. I do think that the US retailers are more difficult to deal with. I don't however think that it is still a matter of retailers not wanting stock, at least not anymore. It may have started out that way but Nintendo doesn't have to "pitch" amiibo anymore.

It's a supply issue on Nintendo's part, and possibly even somewhat intentional IMO. The truth is nobody really knows but Nintendo. All I do know is that the US amiibo situation is a mess and has been from the start and getting worse. It may not be all of Nintendo's fault, true enough, but my priority isn't to defend a company that doesn't need my defense, I just want some amiibo and Nitnendo is the obvious target.

Vena

Never did I say it was something that could be magically fixed in an instant. Let's not pretend they haven't known about the supply demand since December. That's almost 6 months now. That aside, I do think there may be some truth to what you are saying. I do think that the US retailers are more difficult to deal with. I don't however think that it is still a matter of retailers not wanting stock, at least not anymore. It may have started out that way but Nintendo doesn't have to "pitch" amiibo anymore.

It's a supply issue on Nintendo's part, and possibly even somewhat intentional IMO. The truth is nobody really knows but Nintendo. All I do know is that the US amiibo situation is a mess and has been from the start and getting worse. It may not be all of Nintendo's fault, true enough, but my priority isn't to defend a company that doesn't need my defense, I just want some amiibo and Nitnendo is the obvious target.

Ahh I'm not interested in defending Nintendo, I am interested in getting down to why the US is such a clusterfuck. Occam's Razor says its more than likely retailer related when all other regions (Wave 4 withstanding) are fine because Nintendo seems more than capable and happy to keep other regions suitably stocked. Retail exclusives, weird pre-order times, no control over orders per customer, etc. All of these things point to retailers being an issue in the States.

Also, apologies, I didn't mean to come off condescending.

And, honestly, I just don't see the point of this PR statement if they really were doing this intentionally from their own end.

rjinaz

Ahh I'm not interested in defending Nintendo, I am interested in getting down to why the US is such a clusterfuck. Occam's Razor says its more than likely retailer related when all other regions (Wave 4 withstanding) are fine because Nintendo seems more than capable and happy to keep other regions suitably stocked. Retail exclusives, weird pre-order times, no control over orders per customer, etc. All of these things point to retailers being an issue in the States.

Also, apologies, I didn't mean to come off condescending.

True but there other possible factors. One is that NoA always seems to be treated or handled a bit differently than other regions. Two is that the US is the largest consumer of amiibo so their approach could be different based on that alone.

I just have a hard time believing it is all on retailers when a company like Amazon has the same issues and does not have to worry about shelf space at all and neither do retailers that sell stock online, at least to a point. They may sell out in stores but there is no reason stock can't be sitting in a warehouse somewhere ready to ship out to eager buyers.

Thanks for saying that. It did rub me the wrong way as I'm sure you could tell though it doesn't seem like you really meant anything by it.

Jawmuncher

Surprised they're gonna push the 3 pack more than the solos.
Wario will definitely end up just sitting in the uncommon to common slot like Sheik and Diddy.

MicH

Those numbers sound about correct when compared to European stock. Every single amiibo except Wario and Charizard never made it to the actual store shelves. Better have a pre-order!

Maengun1

Hmm.

I decided against pre-ordering the Splatoon 3-pack, thinking/hoping it would end up fairly common. Guess I'll see what happens! No biggie if I can't get it...I'm more concerned about obtaining a Jigglypuff.

Glad I pre-ordered Wario even though everyone said he would be ultra common (he still likely will be, but it's nice to have him locked down since he's one of my faves).

Fox Mulder

Holy shit thats just... I am at a loss... Does Nintendo just want to sale just Mario's, Pikachu's, and Link's the entire Smash run?

they just seem to have no interest in making even a reasonable amount of certain characters. It's just baffling how these can be true numbers at this point with all their bullshit excuses and having more than enough time to figure shit out.

Haha at those numbers , holy shit
Pretty sure people will go at 5/6 am to camp out

Just have us order from your web site Nintendo , 1 per IP/debit/credit card

Jeez or order through club Nintendo or the new one releasing soon

Do something dummies

RootCause

I have every Amiibo so far, but they've killed any interest moving forward. Like I said before, I'm finishing the smash line, and bailing. They don't want my money, so I'll do my best to not give it to them. Buying second hand games is my only option. Unless a super limited edition pop ups. :p

Nighteater

Neo Member
I'm seriously thinking of lining up early for Jiggly :/ Geeze this is just sad...
Probably best thing to do if you want a shot at one, I know i'll be lining up. This will be at the end of May. The potential for longer lines is larger than the past months. More kids/teens will have free to line up since the school year would have ended for most.

RootCause

I'm seriously thinking of lining up early for Jiggly :/ Geeze this is just sad...
If you don't have anything (important) else, I'd say go for it. Keep in mind you might have to go at 4 or 5 in the morning. People are getting crazier(about Amiibo) with each wave. People even lined up a day early for Greninja. D:

Fox Mulder

I have every Amiibo so far, but they've killed any interest moving forward. Like I said before, I'm finishing the smash line, and bailing. They don't want my money, so I'll do my best to not give it to them. Buying second hand games is my only option. Unless a super limited edition pop ups. :p

nintendo really knows how to suck the fun out of anything. Their entire way of doing business in their largest market with cheap ass NoA is a huge turnoff and something I'll remember when the next console comes out.

If you don't have anything (important) else, I'd say go for it. Keep in mind you might have to go at 4 or 5 in the morning. People are getting crazier(about Amiibo) with each wave. People even lined up a day early for Greninja. D:

not greninja, a preorder for greninja.

Rocky

Banned
Here is the projected stock numbers.

(Lucina-2) (Robin-2) (Wario-3) (Pacman-6) (Charizard-6) (Splatoon 3-pack-5) (Inkling girl-3) (Inkling boy-3)

Source:
http://myamiibonews.com/2015/05/report-best-buy-stock-information-released-for-wave-4/

Un-fricken-believable! Is this shit ever going to end? Man, I am so glad I got my Lucina from Amazon UK already and I have preorders with them for Jiggly and Greninja. I also have a Ness order with them as well.

Wave 4 launch day will be an absolute mess at the stores.

Probably best thing to do if you want a shot at one, I know i'll be lining up. This will be at the end of May. The potential for longer lines is larger than the past months. More kids/teens will have free to line up since the school year would have ended for most.

Yeah, you're right. By coincidence I have that day off from work and was considering going to Target early that morning. I was already leaning towards not going (since there's no guarantee I would get one anyway) but if school's out by then there's no chance. Like RootCause said I'd have to be there at 4 or 5 and it's just not worth it. I'll take my chances and see if target.com or someone outside the US has them after the release date. I might be able to swing a trade, too.

I really hope those stock numbers aren't real. I thought that maybe the month delay in the US release date vs. the rest of the world was so they could get another month's worth of production to meet the increased demand, but that can't be the case if those numbers are true.

And that PR statement? Like I said in its thread, I'll believe it when I see it. I thought the phrasing of this part was telling:
We are constantly looking for the opportunity to reissue amiibo
Why do they need to look for the opportunity? Just do it! Make it happen! What, the retailers might not give you space? Fine, then sell them yourselves!

RootCause

nintendo really knows how to suck the fun out of anything. Their entire way of doing business in their largest market with cheap ass NoA is a huge turnoff and something I'll remember when the next console comes out.

not greninja, a preorder for greninja.
You're correct. It's going to be worse on release day, with people looking for the rest of wave 4. What a disaster.

"D"

I'm extremely insecure with how much f2p mobile games are encroaching on Nintendo
COIRcYn.jpg

Much appreciation from Moskito. Also, I still have an extra Little Mac for trades, preferably for an extra Ness, as I'd like to keep one sealed and another to paint as my avatar

HardRojo

When are the cute Yoshi amiibo coming out? I went to get a SM Bowser yesterday and the Nintendo rep told me we'd get him here in Peru next week. She's full of shit right?

Fox Mulder

[QUOTE="D";162701662]
COIRcYn.jpg

Much appreciation from Moskito. Also, I still have an extra Little Mac for trades, preferably for an extra Ness, as I'd like to keep one sealed and another to paint as my avatar[/QUOTE]

Ness looks great.

I wonder what happens if the retailer exclusive have the same stock levels as the others are rumored to have.

Converse

Banned
[QUOTE="D";162701662]
COIRcYn.jpg
[/QUOTE]

Beautiful. I believe my imported Ness is waiting for me at the post office. Working on an amiibo cabinet so I can still collect while keeping my place looking classy, and I can't wait to put him in it.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom