• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Amiibo Thread 6 | We're up all night to get salty

Status
Not open for further replies.

Velcro Fly

Pac man is sold out now. Now what?

Preorders always sell out. It's the ones that get restocked after release that aren't super rare. Remember Shiek and Toon Link being hard to find in early February? And now they are all over the place and have been up for order a bunch of times. Same for Mega Man and Sonic. All had sold out preorders.

zulux21

You did it wrong.

gas to get to gamestop and back home, $3
Ness Figure paid today, $13
The 5 min I will look at it before throwing it in a box and never seen again, priceless

stuff doesn't get thrown in a box here, it gets put on top of random shelves :p

I wish every site only allowed 1 per household during a launch of the a new wave so I don't need to fight the scalpers.

Then you'd have people with two kids who both want their own Jigglypuff getting angry.

There's no good solution besides making enough for everyone and they're either incapable or unwilling or some combination of both.

I guess the most straightfoward way is to provide enough supply to match the overwhelming demand for them, but as we already know Nintendo isn't the greatest at supply.
Yes, 1 million Peach and Yoshi and like 20 Villagers. Instead of even stock on each Amiibo, we got all the Zelda you want.

LiK

Then you'd have people with two kids who both want their own Jigglypuff getting angry.

There's no good solution besides making enough for everyone and they're either incapable or unwilling or some combination of both.

Nintendo should just promise to reissue them so it alleviates this mess. i'm gonna try and preorder from EU for any I can't get in the US.

Called two gamestops in my area that I figured wouldn't have a huge amount of people waiting for these and both said there are lines forming outside LOL do people not have jobs, damn oh well, if I can get them great, if not oh well will wait til release day

SalvaPot

I wonder if the splatoon amiibos are going to be limited or if they are doing a big run expecting them to appeal to kids. It seems they are going in strong with this IP.

-Horizon-

Nintendo should take orders directly from customers before even making them.

Example:

Lucina amiibo is announced.

Preorders are opened. You have to pay ahead of time. Say that there is a one month due date before preorders are closed.

From there, Nintendo should make just enough to fulfill those orders.

And if down the line there is rumbling of people wanting more, redo the process the following year.

Velcro Fly

Going to GameStop.

Definitely going to get an extra Lucina/Robin to go with my Ness. It is my duty to do what I can to keep them out of the hands of scalpers.

PBalfredo

Going to try to pre-order lucina along with Ness at game stop. Thoughts on whether charizard will be rare or not. On one hand he's a popular pokemon and may be everywhere like pikachu, or they leverage his popularity like the tcg.

hawk2025

We always roundback to the this pointless discussion on scalpers.

Scalpers have *NO* market power. They can't manipulate, control, or directly affect the price of the market.

Nintendo undersupplies, people are willing to pay more for the product, and scalpers take the surplus by allocating the product to the highest buyers.

This is squarely a supply issue.

Tabasco

Going to GameStop.

Definitely going to get an extra Lucina/Robin to go with my Ness. It is my duty to do what I can to keep them out of the hands of scalpers.
Lucina/Robin will be available at the same time?

Maybe I'll go for those too if I decide to head over there.

Nintendo should just promise to reissue them so it alleviates this mess. i'm gonna try and preorder from EU for any I can't get in the US.

Smash was too big a task to launch amiibo with, especially worldwide.

The smart thing to do would be to do like NOE and have amiibos ordered directly through Nintendo. You'd have to say "Fuck retailers," but, well, they pretty much already are.

LiK

We always roundback to the this pointless discussion on scalpers.

Scalpers have *NO* market power. They can't manipulate, control, or directly affect the price of the market.

Nintendo undersupplies, people are willing to pay more for the product, and scalpers take the surplus by allocating the product to the highest buyers.

This is squarely a supply issue.

All Nintendo's fault.

Somnid

Called two gamestops in my area that I figured wouldn't have a huge amount of people waiting for these and both said there are lines forming outside LOL do people not have jobs, damn oh well, if I can get them great, if not oh well will wait til release day

Scalpers are not people with regular jobs typically. They tend to be out-of-work or students trying to make extra cash on the side because the overall effort/value is pretty low.

ash321

Example:

Preorders are opened. You have to pay ahead of time. Say that there is a one month due date before preorders are closed.

And if down the line there is rumbling of people wanting more, redo the process the following year.
That will pissed of retailers

Scalpers are not people with regular jobs typically. They tend to be out-of-work or students trying to make extra cash on the side because the overall effort/value is pretty low.

The two stores that I called are usually dead quiet during the day, when Ive gone there I would see maybe 2 people tops, now there are 20+ people outside waiting..will just try online and see what I can get

Jobbs

Banned

Example:

Nintendo sells their product either way. But your way involves pissing off retailers.

Scalping is something I don't think most companies actually care about that much. They'll do a few things for customers to help with PR -- like limit 1 to customer -- but ultimately, I just don't think they care. They're there to make sales and they don't care who it is who buys product or why.

Splatoon 3-pack is already gone on Amazon.co.jp and being sold for 9000 yen: http://www.amazon.co.jp/gp/product/B00VFT4U6A/

It was limit to 1 per customer.

12815236_1343677116644.gif

D-Stubbs

So I'm at Gamestop, walk up to the guy working and ask him about the Ness pre orders. He tells me they're not doing them today. I tell him that's not what I heard on the internet and they'll be up at 2pm CT. He goes "Ohhh yeah I guess that's what could happen". I guess people been calling to and he's been telling them that they ain't getting them. So I guess that helps with the competition lol. But yeah just patiently waiting for 2pm.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom