• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Amiibo Thread 6 | We're up all night to get salty

Status
Not open for further replies.
Store email came in: traffic is 85x Black Friday.

Of course it is. Black Friday the stores opened at staggered times - from east coast to west coast. Plus, some opened at midnight, some at 5 AM, etc. Here you have the entire company trying to access a single internet portal. It was doomed from the start.

When it comes to highly allocated product like this - the smart thing would be to assign each store a set number of reservations. They did this back with the Wii and PS3 launches and it worked great. Having been a manager for GameStop for 12 years (no longer at the moment) I can say this web in store stuff is a huge inconvenience for the customers. Plus they have to have the item shipped to their home - and if they want release date guarantee they have to pay extra shipping charges. Completely ridiculous.

In a lot of ways I agree with you.

Worker here had to put a sign in front of the door saying they can't do any other transaction until they care of everyone in line for Amiibo.

rjinaz

it's their own damn faults really (gamestop's)! they told everyone that ness would be available online at 2pm and then sent an internal memo saying he wouldn't but then didn't tell people. so now everyone is hitting their website hard which is causing the stores to not be able to place WIS orders.

this is what happens when you change shit at the last second and don't inform people.

Bingo. They sent out the wrong info.

Jeff-DSA

I stood in a Gamestop for an hour. Was there early, was #16 in line. They managed to get one person checked out when I finally figured that I couldn't afford any more time out of the office.

Good work, Gamestop. Good work, Nintendo. A+ job all around.

Speedwagon

Michelangelo painted the Sistine Chapel. Yabuki turned off voice chat in Mario Kart races. True artists of their time.
Please put him on Gamestop.com already! :(

JazzmanZ

I stood in a Gamestop for an hour. Was there early, was #16 in line. They managed to get one person checked out when I finally figured that I couldn't afford any more time out of the office.

not Nintendos fault there were people lined up dude

They could have staggered this by releasing them at different times in each time zone, and then set a certain amount to each timezone. But that would have been too intelligent.

This would have just repeated the same scenario three times instead of once then since there would be nothing to stop the people in other time zones.

Unless they're prepared to stagger based on IP geolocation or something, this stuff is just going to happen.

Really, the only way to prevent this is to NOT MAKE THEM LIMITED. If people know that they will be able to get it eventually, the frenzy will die. As it stands, if you miss out on the 20 minute window, you're stuck trading or looking on eBay.

Christopher

I got 2 Nesses from Amazon.uk I can help you guys out with.

I can't believe Jigglypuff is gone already at Target that is fucking unbelievable....thank god Im not Amiibo crazy no more but that's just so lame

I'm so glad I didn't go to a store right now. I'm disabled and would've tried to stand and wait it out and would've gotten miserable after 15-20 mins.

I can't believe they were stupid enough to announce a specific time. I mean, I *can* believe it, but how did they not see this happening?

Maengun1

This is NUTS! I have to be at work *2 hours* after the preorders started, got here early, and may not get a Ness. Unacceptable.

-Horizon-

Time to light some fireworks.

sonto340

I managed to get my ness, and both FE characters.
Corporate guy just came in telling them the WIS is having issues and they are NOT sold out.

ekgrey

it's their own damn faults really (gamestop's)! they told everyone that ness would be available online at 2pm and then sent an internal memo saying he wouldn't but then didn't tell people. so now everyone is hitting their website hard which is causing the stores to not be able to place WIS orders.

this is what happens when you change shit at the last second and don't inform people.

Oh good lord. I was wondering what the hell was going on. I got home from an appointment and realized it was right on time so I decided to jump online and see if there was any chance I could grab one. *sigh*

Bad form, Gamestop.

Eh forget it. If I luck into a Lucina amiibo, cool but I have better things to do with my time than sit in line for who knows how long.

Took 32 minutes for online in store, got Ness, Robin, Lucina, and Splatoon 3 pack. Thankfully I was like the first guy in line and he started a few minutes before 3. There was about 5 other people, RIP to them.

This is insanity. The other cashier said 6 pm for regular online orders at home so good luck everyone.

JohnTinker

Limbaugh Parrot
MkyfCQv.gif

mjc

It's remarkable. Can we start a letter campaign to let them know they're missing a LOT Of our money and pissing us off?

They'll just throw up their hands and say whoops. This is how they've carried themselves for years now. Won't make it any better.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom