• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Amiibo Thread 6 | We're up all night to get salty

Status
Not open for further replies.

Fushin

Computer at gamestop kept screwing up with my order but I have an order confirmation number. Going to wait to get through to customer support and see if I can pay for the order still. I just want my Ness and my Splatoon Amiibo :(

Shauni

Is the WIS thing by store? Region? Because we keep getting conflicting reports about Ness. One person is told that Ness is sold out, to be followed almost immediately by someone who just got their preorder.

Fox Mulder

It's 100% on Nintendo. They're the common link in every amiibo-related issue.

Yeah, it's funny how all these huge retailers have the same issues for the same thing. They get all the shit when stuff repeatedly goes wrong.

But GameStop's network melting is on them. They told everyone it would go up online at a certain time, then switched to in store only.

Rootbeer

Banned
Sharing my gamestop in-store experience.

After barely missing the jigglypuff pre-orders this morning (*grumble grumble*), I decided to get down to gamestop and make sure I didn't miss out on anything else, especially Ness who I wanted the most. Well, okay that's not entirely true... I am incredibly fond of those Splatoon amiibos too. Really excited for that game.

First, after getting off work (might I add... i spent most of my shift today F5ing various amiibo news sources as well as target's jigglypuff listing which I subsequently missed out on anyway? moving on...), I called gamestop to get a feel for the atmosphere and they were already sick of answering amiibo questions for the day. This was around 10:20am and they had just opened o_O They told me that orders would open at 2. HAH! I knew immediately that was not true as the memo sent out said 2CT and I'm in the PST zone. Anyway...

I get to my local gamestop 1 hour before 12pm and found myself first in line. It did not take long for about 30 people to show up. Eventually, they made everyone other than the first 5 wait outside. At least the weather is nice today...

As we all know by now, gamestop's server went to hell in a handbasket REAL fast and I was at the register for over an hour as they tried to place the order I wanted. meanwhile, at the register next to me was #2 in line and he was doing the same thing.

So finally she manages to check me out and she tells me that the 6 pack was SOLD OUT. I was calm... because I knew it was probably a mistake. But she seemed certain. I relented and asked if she could just add a Ness for me instead. She started doing that. A few minutes later, there is cheering at the register next to me. I walked the few feet over there and asked what he had ordered. While standing in line we chatted about the various amiibo coming out but I was not sure exactly what he was ordering. Turns out he ordered the 6-pack, but no Splatoon amiibo.

I then asked my cashier to please remove the Ness from my order and retry the 6 pack. She wasn't very happy but wasn't giving me attitude -- I'd wager she was more frustrated than me however. I told her "sorry to ask you to try again... but this could be my only chance to get these!" She was like yeah I understand, and then...

minutes later I swiped my card and walked out of the store with a receipt for the Splatoon 3-pack and the 6-pack of all the other Wave 4s including Ness.

I wished my amiibros in line good luck and let them know I was able to complete my order... because the staff wasn't doing a good job of keeping the people outside informed, I felt really bad for them.

I hope everyone was able to get what they wanted... but I really had to get home to eat.

Hope I can get a jigglypuff... and tomorro's TRU exclusive.

Darryl

Banned
It isn't the supply issue here that bothers me. If I walked in at 3 and they were sold out, who cares. I'll try again on release.

What is annoying here is the total insecurity that comes from buying with gamestop. Waiting an hour with no one in the store checking out and not knowing whether you should leave or stay is a completely different scenario. It can destroy spirit. At that point it isn't about getting lucky but about getting lucky at getting lucky.

jmizzal

Now I feel guilty for getting my Ness and Splatoon so easily. 5 minutes, in and out, while some of you guys waited 2+ hours.

Yea mine was so easy for Ness, I showed up waited a few mins and left, but it helps that in a 20 min range there are 4 gamestops from my job

Crayolan

I hope a Splatoon figure is available when the game launches cuz I don't think I'll have any chance of pre-ordering that one.

This real?

It's a joke based on this:
034.jpg

Dominator

All I'll say is thank god for Amazon UK... All 6 ordered while only paying a little more with conversion. This is a nightmare, as per usual.

Het_Nkik

Why do they keep doing this during normal work day hours? Ugh. Do it at 6-7 pm or something so the normal worker has a chance.

Because they're pulling all these pre-orders from one source so the entire country has to be able to order it at once.

If they did it at 6 to 7 pm on the east coast, it would still be work hours on the west coast.

The reason they waited till 2 CST is so the Hawaii stores would be open at 10 am Hawaii time.

Crumbtiny

Just got home from ordering Ness. Traffic seemed to be extra heavy today just to spite me. Walked in and I was the only one in the store though the clerk did say they had a ton of people in line earlier. I'm glad i didn't have to wait 2 or 3 hours for him.

This was the only amiiboo i really wanted (well this and toon link). Glad i managed to snag him. Good luck to everyone else!

mintyice

Ness sold out of store in store while I was checking out... ending up preordering a Pacman instead.

Seems like Ness is totally OOS now.

ps. walked in at like 6:20 and could have gotten it if I was like a minute earlier. No lines for me!

I'm more salty because my buddy in front of me was able to order them all (he was second in line) 3rd guy in line was trying order when the cashier said "Robin and Lucina just sold out" half the people in line behind me left

Tabasco

Not a good sign for me that Ness is getting sold out.

Unless there is word he is sold out everywhere, I will call my local GameStop before I head home from work.

What with all the activity going on with the preorder stuff, this question of mine might be overlooked, but I wanted some advice. I like to have a nice space devoted to my Amiibo, but I'm not too thrilled with what I've got going on right now. Feels like it's filled up too quickly, and I only kinda did this because the shelf looks so boring other wise.

Does anyone know any good display shelf that look good with Amiibos? My collection is probably going to continue to grow as long as I can keep getting them, and I like making them look cool displayed. However, I do also like having access to them so I can use them in games if need be. Here's a picture of my shelf right now:

As you can see, I already ran out of space fast and haven't even opened several of the last ones I've gotten. I'm not sure I even like the idea I had with trying to keep the back of the boxes behind the character, because I always do a shitty job in trying to keep them clean even when I try to open them carefully.

Thoraxes

I feel despair over the upcoming Jiggly and Greninja.

Especially Jiggly. Knowing Target you'll be able to get online orders for a couple hours the day of.

Korosenai

Missed Ness as I was walking in the store. Missed it because I had an hour and a half long class i had to go to because the teacher gives 45 bonus points if you attend every class.

C'mon already, Amazon! I really just want Pac-Man and the Splatoon trio.

Lucina and Ness would be nice, but I know realistically that won't happen.

starmud

My GameStop offered me pre orders for the whole wave.... Picked up ness, pac man, robin and the splatoon three pack.

Just need jigglypuff!

Koppai

Now all I have left to order is the Splatoon 3 pack (waiting for Best Buy), Greninja from Toys R Us, and try to get another Lucina & Robin for a friend.

I waited 2 1/2 hours for Ness and got him :D

Regiruler

If I were to call my gamestop, would I need to ask if they're still accepting pre-orders for X amiibo?

Honestly never needed to go this far for anything. How much is the splatoon triple back in total?

bluehat9

Just got a pacman order in at bestbuy 5 minutes ago. The "coming soon" changed to "preorder" on the page I had been reloading. When I clicked it the red bar came up that said something about an error adding it to cart, but I just kept on and 100 clicks later it went to payment page (almost missed it because I was just clicking while watching tv, :lol). Got an order confirmation email too but now he says "coming soon" again.

Only want Wario and the Splatoon 3pack now.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom