• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Amiibo Thread 6 | We're up all night to get salty

Status
Not open for further replies.

Jergingha

Neo Member
Today really screwed me over.

Didn't even get to preorder Ness. I was at work, ready to refresh the page, and the site crashed at 2:00. I called my local GS at 2:10, and they told me I had to go in and pay in full if I wanted to preorder. I apparently can't call and preorder over the phone, despite reading that some of you guys had success with that.

And now, according to Gamestop's official FB, they are sold out of stock.

I hate everything.

Hugstable

Banned
Based on remarks by Iwata to investors, some Amiibo are much more expensive to make than others. They planned on compensating by selling more of the simpler figures. I suspect a lot of the rarer characters are, wouldn't you know it, the expensive, complex figures. The core Mario characters and Pikachu are mostly simplistic, and the Super Mario line are very simple molds.

If that's the case, then the problem would be that Nintendo is flooding supply with the simple amiibo because those make the most profit per unit, even if it means a noticeable percentage sit on the shelf and don't sell. The more rarified Nintendo characters like Captain Falcon, Dedede, and anything labeled Fire Emblem, are more intricate character designs.

Why is Villager so rare then? HHe's not exactly complex haha

JPS Kai

Today really screwed me over.

Didn't even get to preorder Ness. I was at work, ready to refresh the page, and the site crashed at 2:00. I called my local GS at 2:10, and they told me I had to go in and pay in full if I wanted to preorder. I apparently can't call and preorder over the phone, despite reading that some of you guys had success with that.

And now, according to Gamestop's official FB, they are sold out of stock.

I hate everything.

What people had happen was an exception to the rule. They were having the employee place an order over the phone then going into the store to pay for it. I was actually about to order a Ness that way but found out my home store was already sold out.

So, I wasn't able to snag a Jigglypuff yet but i did manage

Lucina x2
Robin x2
Wario x2
Charizard x2
Pac-Man x2
Ness x1

If anyone would like to make some trades, they're all US versions. For now, Ness is not for trade, but the rest of my spares are

i might trade my extra Shulk for Lucina

Jergingha

Neo Member
What people had happen was an exception to the rule. They were having the employee place an order over the phone then going into the store to pay for it. I was actually about to order a Ness that way but found out my home store was already sold out.

Ah, I see.

Well, regardless I really hope I have another chance to preorder Ness.

As I've said before, I am more than willing to give my Gold Mario Amiibo for a Ness Amiibo, and I even got a message from someone interested, but overall, I am just getting tired of it all.

Nintendo is not making this fun, at all.

Kai Dracon

Writing a dinosaur space opera symphony
Why is Villager so rare then? HHe's not exactly complex haha

Because Nintendo is still fucked up. Villager is probably the most bizarre outlier. He's braindead simple. He's the star character for the huge Animal Crossing franchise. Nintendo made a big deal about him being a leading newcoming in Smash 4.

But nope, let us print 10 Villagers and lose 9 behind a shelf.

Bowser is very complex and heavy and he's everywhere.

I think they were talking about pricing, since Bowser is clearly more expensive to manufacture than Toad.

Bowser is also the star Nintendo villain. If any of the intricate characters would get a big print run it would be that one. I found the Iwata explanation:

"Finally, regarding your question about amiibo’s profitability, we have been selling amiibo at the same MSRP so that consumers will easily understand its price point. However, I think you can easily tell just by looking at several amiibo figures that production costs vary for each one of them; some amiibo have a more complex structure and a greater number of colors, which means they cost more to produce than others. Nevertheless, since setting different price points could be misinterpreted as the company valuing certain characters more than others, we came to the decision to set an MSRP that would return a profit from the amiibo platform as a whole."

It does sound like they planned to lean heavily on the simple figures to make up the difference. Still doesn't explain Villager.

TheGrue

I was actually about to order a Ness that way but found out my home store was already sold out.

I don't think a particular store could have been sold out. It was a national stock and it was ship to home only, so not like there'd be limits at a particular store. If your store was sold out, everyone was sold out.

Boogiepop

Geeze, I'm seriously hoping this is just a temporary mess that'll settle down a little in the coming days with reopening of preorders or something. Even with watching stuff all day, I got nothing, because my phone was a tad too slow to get things from Best Buy and I didn't want to wait for hours in a Gamestop.

This is absolutely insane, and I really can't believe we've somehow gotten worse than Wave 3. Ugh.

I was 5th in line at Gamestop and had the 6-pack in the cart but it was removed during check out. Robin & Lucina went OOS. :/ I told the employee to only worry about Ness and Charizard because it was taking forever to add to cart. I think I made the right choice because the guy next to me had his Wario removed during processing. I'm just glad I got Ness.

Pyrokai

So TRU confirmed April 3rd as pre-orders + exclusive Greninja.

Do they mean in store or online or both? And should I stay up past midnight tonight to get them or will it be sometime actually tomorrow?

Edit: I'm thinking my best bet is to go to TRU in the morning and wait outside before they open? Yea or Nay?

weevles

Based on remarks by Iwata to investors, some Amiibo are much more expensive to make than others. They planned on compensating by selling more of the simpler figures. I suspect a lot of the rarer characters are, wouldn't you know it, the expensive, complex figures. The core Mario characters and Pikachu are mostly simplistic, and the Super Mario line are very simple molds.

If that's the case, then the problem would be that Nintendo is flooding supply with the simple amiibo because those make the most profit per unit, even if it means a noticeable percentage sit on the shelf and don't sell. The more rarified Nintendo characters like Captain Falcon, Dedede, and anything labeled Fire Emblem, are more intricate character designs.

Makes sense, except maybe instead of letting the crap sit on shelves, they should just tier price the costlier figures so they are at least breaking even on them. The way it looks to me, they grossly overestimated how much demand there is (was) for the simple figures and they are still going to lose in the long run. Even Skylanders and Infinity lost the luster they originally had and I think this fad is going to die sooner rather than later if it hasn't already.

TheGrue

Do they mean in store or online or both? And should I stay up past midnight tonight to get them or will it be sometime actually tomorrow?

The rumor (supposedly confirmed by Polygon) is online between 7 and 9 AM Eastern Daylight Time (EDT).

Edit: I'm thinking my best bet is to go to TRU in the morning and wait outside before they open? Yea or Nay?

Online only is all we know so far. Sometime between 7-9 am est.

All Wave 4 that aren't exclusive.

Of course, its going to be another cluster mess of cursing and tears and possible throw downs like today.

K cool, waking up at 4am just to do this is ridiculous but I really want to get Pac-Man, Wario, and the Splatoon bundle..Ness I can live without I just want those three

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom