• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Amiibo Thread 7 | Now Lucina, now you don't

Status
Not open for further replies.
So happy Shovel Knight is legit. That's going to be awesome to see what he unlocks in other games going forward, and I hope he works with Mario Maker like the other 3rd party ones.

Been a while since I picked up any Amiibo since they got so scarce. Got Pac-Man a few weeks back and was given Toad as a gift and it got me itching to get more. Preordered the 3pack at Gamestop and probably importing some hard to find ones. Had someone give me the hookup for two Splatoon amiibo that I'm giving to my little sister for her birthday (she's getting a wii u and splatoon as well so she's gonna be PSYCHED).

Was never a completionist collector kind of guy but man I've got way more of these than I expected to pick up.

Shovel Knight's gonna be more useful in Nintendo games than friggin' Pokemon

all thanks to shitty ass TPC

please nintendo, for the love of god, just buy these saps out, just get rid of them. they're nothing but a hindrance. Like to talk about how they care oh so much about the quality of pokemon but shit out Pokemon Rumble games.

Rather Dashing

Neo Member
CNeC6JwUEAAgaK0.jpg:large

NOT A SMASH BASE.

So now for the Smash rumors to be true, they'd either need to make TWO figures, OR Nintendo conspired to fool nerds on the internet by designing a non-Smash box and base for no reason.

so no new character for smash eh? well, time to go to sleep. don't really care for shovel knight, but if he was a smash character that would've been a different story.

What if scanning the Bowser Jr. amiibo gives you a unique challenge where you fight him and the 7 koopalings in Shovel Knight?

it would be nice but its not happening cause if it was they'd be screaming it from the rooftops

That Shovel Knight reveal was hilarious! XD

I seriously need to grab Shovel Knight one of these days; had fun trying out the demo on a PS4 kiosk and didn't know there was a physical release coming. I'll definitely grab the Wii U version and hopefully the amiibo for the exclusive goodies.

And note sure if I can dig it.

7cf1163ffe1476cda9dc318da86b7178880dffc9b502ed340a8d7e117914e618.jpg

D

Diggeh

Unconfirmed Member
That Shovel Knight reveal was hilarious! XD

I seriously need to grab Shovel Knight one of these days; had fun trying out the demo on a PS4 kiosk and didn't know there was a physical release coming. I'll definitely grab the Wii U version and hopefully the amiibo for the exclusive goodies.

And note sure if I can dig it.

7cf1163ffe1476cda9dc318da86b7178880dffc9b502ed340a8d7e117914e618.jpg

You'd better get it on the double! It's a fantastic game. I really dig it.

Can you dig it?

third party amiibo

rest in pieces amiibo GAF

Diggehmiibo hype

ChrisD

Can we talk about how perfect the Shovel Knight amiibo looks? He's basic, so it would be hard to screw things up, but you still expect it anyways. Love the pose, love the box art. And I also love Shovel Knight, so maybe my view is skewed.

Velcro Fly

also every time a new line of amiibo gets announced the whining about them actually doing something is amazing.

like oh yeah that awesome game you've been praising for the past year is getting a feature you've never once asked for? time to rage since you need to buy a figure to unlock it!

this is like the only way they can add features not on the KS stretch goal list and have people pay for them. if they tried to sell the amiibo functions as DLC people would laugh at them and then probably whine about the other stretch goals that aren't done yet.

zroid

Banned
so here's the low-down from their website

Not only can Shovel Knight guard your desk and party with the other amiibo in your collection, but it also unlocks new ways to play the game you already love! Shovel Knight brings two-player co-op to the Wii U, and will unlock additional challenges and customization options across both the Wii U and 3DS!

Let’s break it down:

Cooperative Multiplayer (exclusive to Wii U)!

- Join a friend’s Shovel Knight campaign and shovel together!
- Use new cooperative moves to help each other out along the way!

Deep Customization!

- Level up by defeating enemies and finding treasure!
- Earn all-new relics, abilities, and powers you never thought possible!
- Customize the look of your Shovel Knight with cool and crazy cosmetic options!
- Use your custom amiibo seamlessly between 3DS and Wii U!

Exclusive Challenge Stages!

- Battle your way through amiibo exclusive challenge stages that take advantage of the new amiibo relics and abilities!
One amiibo, multiple games

We plan to continue support of the Shovel Knight amiibo in future Yacht Club Games and Nintendo products! Stay tuned to amiibo.com for compatibility details in new games.
We’ll have more exciting details about all of these modes soon! We can’t wait to show everything in action! Stay tuned to yachtclubgames.com!

Shoyz

How do you come to that conclusion?

If anything, it'll be less useful

Won't it only need to be suppported in 2 more games to have more supported games than the Pokemon? Which IIRC is just Smash/Mario Maker, and given their trend of non-support, I'd be inclined to agree..

Ok but if shovel knight is getting an amiibo, then Shantae still has a possibility... right?
The doors are wide open now, it just comes down to who can make a good enough case to Nintendo that their Amiibo would sell enough to be worth supporting in future titles.

Shovel Knight devs said this has been in the works for over a year with Nintendo, so I bet we won't see more indie Amiibo soon, but give it another 6 months or so and there could be Shantae or Yooka Laylee or who knows.

The interesting thing (at least to me) is that it's clear from the packaging that this is officially considered a licensed third party accessory, and not a Nintendo-published figure of a third party character (like Pac-Man, Sonic, and Mega Man). This has a Nintendo seal on the front, lacks a Nintendo logo, and has Yacht Club's logo featured prominently on the corner of the box, all of which is standard for licensed third party products. Officially this is a Yacht Club figure, not a Nintendo one.

Nintendo already said in the past that the amiibo interface standard was open to third party developers, but I know several people doubted that would be the case. This basically reconfirms that any studio can produce amiibo as long as they get a license from Nintendo. I'd also say that Yooka-Laylee amiibo figures are basically guaranteed at this point as Playtonic said they'd like to make some. It's pretty much just down to whether or not they still want to.

Tomita

Game Grumps in an official Nintendo trailer....Wow. I am speechless.
I like Game Grumps...without JonTron.

This is great for third party / Indies, tho. I'd like a bit more info on what the amiibo will unlock, but oh well.

Zonic

Gives all the fucks
WELP, guess I'm getting the Shovel Knight amiibo. It looks rather nice & new stages and custom gear? Those are some nice unlocks.

Now when the hell is that Plague Knight DLC gonna come out?!

prateeko

One of the few times I'll make an exception for a non smash Amiibo. Shovel Knight looks pretty good.

I always dismissed the rumors because I didn't think Shovel Knight would show up in SSB.

It didn't even occur to me they'd let other developers release them individually for their on games on Nintendo systems. It's cool but also depressing as hell because this is only going to end even more poorly for my wallet.

picked up Dr MArio x2 (will open one) since I am a physician and put on my desk.

The others I will not preorder, I will take my chances and get it cheaper at bestbuy with GCU. Or should I buy all of them just to be safe? Decisions

atomsk

Party Pooper
Almost jumped on Classic Mario, but then realized I need that budget for actual video games in the next few weeks.

Here's hoping I'll see him on a shelf (yeah I know, probably not)

Pre-ordered a few at Target just to be safe, but I can get them cheaper at BB with GCU. Anyone know Targets return policy? Can I return it for cash (not store credit) if I end up finding them at BB?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom