• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Amiibo Thread 7 | Now Lucina, now you don't

Status
Not open for further replies.

Speedwagon

Michelangelo painted the Sistine Chapel. Yabuki turned off voice chat in Mario Kart races. True artists of their time.
PLS

I updated the OT with the new Kirby amiibo and fixed AC Wave 4/Isabelle dates. Imgur was having captcha uploading issues so I couldn't upload them!

w6mWsTy.png
DeDeDe

Zonic

Gives all the fucks
Well......that's weird. I scanned my Wolf Link amiibo into Mario Maker & it's giving me the Japanese title & name of the costume.

Just when I thought maybe I would be free for a bit, they pull me back in.

I'm all in for the Kirby line and it's nice to see that NA will be getting the Summer outfit Isabelle after all.

I'm sitting at 96 amiibo myself and it's going to be weird when it becomes 101 on March 18th...

kirby_fox

Banned
I'm so sad we didn't get a Star Fox line. I wanted Slippy and Peppy as well as new versions of Fox and Falco. Kirby is cool too, but Kirby games happen so often that it was going to happen eventually. We don't know when Star Fox will get another chance.

So disappointed, how am I going to get Wolf now? The only hope I have is that they make a Star Fox line for that World of Nintendo thing.

Bayonetta, Corrin and Cloud amiibo weren't dated

PROBABLY gonna be announced at E3...
to launch alongside Smash NX

Probably waiting until after Roy/Ryu launch. No need to bring up Smash anymore during a direct and give people hope of more DLC...

Tirod

I had a pretty generous tax return this year, and after setting a good portion aside for some maintenance on my car I went nuclear on Amazon with amiibo I need to complete my collection.

I spent
$243
on Yoshi (Smash), Bowser Jr, Rosalina, Donkey Kong, Diddy Kong, Pit, Palutena, Mega Man, Kirby, Meta Knight, King Dedede, and Gold Mario. So 12 amiibo in total to wrap up the Smash and Super Mario line. Made sure to buy from "fufilled by Amazon" listings so I got Free 2 day shipping and I even got free next day shipping on 3 of them somehow.

I also went ahead and picked up the Dark Dowser Wii edition of Skylanders, since it was nearly 50% off.

With the exception of Mega Yarn Yoshi, I'll have all figurine amiibo, including all the stuff coming out on March 18.

NO REGRETS. I'm free from checking r/ amiibo and news alerts on twitter for restocks/used amiibo listings on places like GameStop that disappear after like 20 minutes.

Rizific

i dont know where else to put this but i figured id toss it to the amiibros. got an email from bby with a Bravely Second: End Layer demo code. quote to reveal, whoever claims it please let everyone know

Man God

Non-Canon Member
i dont know where else to put this but i figured id toss it to the amiibros. got an email from bby with a Bravely Second: End Layer demo code. quote to reveal, whoever claims it please let everyone know

Heh, I tried using it and it said that the promotion hasn't started yet.

I wouldn't mind having it though.

Also anyone have a good place to get a Wolf Link Amiibo for a reasonable price or do I have to wait for a wider distribution later on?

Rizific

Heh, I tried using it and it said that the promotion hasn't started yet.

I wouldn't mind having it though.

Also anyone have a good place to get a Wolf Link Amiibo for a reasonable price or do I have to wait for a wider distribution later on?

Codes can only be redeemed between 12:00am EST 3/7/16 through 2:59am EST 3/10/16.
well i guess thats why =p. sorry, i guess itll be whoever redeems it first.

RedSwirl

So I recently got a Wii U, and I'm still not really sure what the fuck amiibos do. I never really concerned myself with it. All I got is the 8-bit Mario one and that just does the mega mushroom thing when I'm making a Super Mario Maker level. Do the other ones even have any significant gameplay impact?

Skrams

So I recently got a Wii U, and I'm still not really sure what the fuck amiibos do. I never really concerned myself with it. All I got is the 8-bit Mario one and that just does the mega mushroom thing when I'm making a Super Mario Maker level. Do the other ones even have any significant gameplay impact?

For Super Mario Maker or everything? SMM, no. Everything else? Not really so far?

At least not for your 8-bit Mario. You'll mostly get just skins and little unlocks for other games. The most significant things are training them in Smash, using Link to unlock the Spinner weapon in Hyrule Warriors, using FE characters for Codename STEAM, and a few things like that.

I can't find the standalone wolf link amiibo anywhere. Is it out yet?

Only in the bundle in America.

ChrisD

After looking at the Robobot amiibo more, I think I'll be getting Meta Knight as well as Kirby. Really not feeling DeDEdee or Waddle Dee.

It may be in OP, but I'm on mobile 90 percent of the time, and all the images crash my browser; was there a date for that line?

Velcro Fly

After looking at the Robobot amiibo more, I think I'll be getting Meta Knight as well as Kirby. Really not feeling DeDEdee or Waddle Dee.

It may be in OP, but I'm on mobile 90 percent of the time, and all the images crash my browser; was there a date for that line?

June 10th alongside the game

Neoxon

I have a gut feeling that they're saving the Amiibos for Cloud, Bayonetta, & Corrin to coincide with the rumored NX Platform port of Smash 4 this holiday season. For reference,
  • Lucas was revealed in April & got his Amiibo last January, leaving an 9 month gap between reveal & release.
  • Ryu & Roy were revealed in June and will be getting their Amiibos this month, leaving another 9 month gap between reveal & release.
  • Mewtwo is a bit weird, since he was announced in October 2014, officially shown off & released in April 2015, & got his Amiibo in November 2015 (basically either a 13 month gap or a 7 month gap).
Going by this pattern, we should be getting Cloud's Amiibo in August and the Amiibos for Bayonetta & Corrin in September. By this logic, you'd think that they'd mention at least Cloud's Amiibo (since, going by the 9 month gap for the previous DLC characters, Cloud would still have been in the summer time period for the most recent Direct).

Zalman

I'm like 99% sure they'll do a Zelda line with the release of Zelda U/NX. I think that will be their big holiday series.

So I'm a little curious and I plan to ask in a few other places this same question: Where do you see Nintendo going with amiibo in the next few years?

Currently we've got (what I'm pretty sure) are Nintendo's top franchises taken care of. Smash has a humongous nearly 60 figure set, Mario Series has 6 (and more hinted at), Animal Crossing has 15+ now (not to mention a 400 card series) and I'm sure we'll likely hear about some more about Pokemon themed ones (if the existence of the Mewtwo Card isn't enough, we've still got Pokemon's biggest mascots as amiibo). Plus there's niche and other new series like Shovel Knight, Splatoon and Chibi Robo and the upcoming Kirby series to round us out.

We've seen Nintendo try other things, like the Yarn Yoshis, the Amiibolanders, the cards and they had an idea for a transforming Arwing amiibo. There's also alternate versions of figures like the 8 Bits, and Gold/Silver versions and different poses from different lines.

So what do you think we'll get next from amiibo? Are cards the way to go, or are figures more likely? What sort of things will they implement with them in future games/systems? With what the new My Nintendo is looking like, will we be rewarded for dumping all our sweet dosh on every amiibo?

Draxal

Zelda line is obviously the next big thing. America is amiibo land and Zelda is huge here.

I also kinda expect a service amiibo game to be made as well soon.

I'm surprised that a Kirby line of amiibo were announced in the most recent direct, and not a Zelda line for the 30th anniversary.

Guess they will save 30th anniversary 8-bit Link amiibo announcement for E3.

Zalman

I'm surprised that a Kirby line of amiibo were announced in the most recent direct, and not a Zelda line for the 30th anniversary.

I imagine the Zelda line will likely launch with Zelda U and use the designs from that game. So it could be an E3 reveal like the Animal Crossing ones were.

Draxal

Like Zalman said, I'm expecting it to be announced for the holiday season. Too early to announce it now.

I imagine the Zelda line will likely launch with Zelda U and use the designs from that game. So it could be an E3 reveal like the Animal Crossing ones were.

Like Zalman said, I'm expecting it to be announced for the holiday season. Too early to announce it now.

At least my wallet can rest safely until those amiibo come then.....

I still have Roy, Ryu, Cloud, Corn, Bayonetta, and the Kirby 4 to look toward, who am I joking?

KingBroly

Banned
Gold Link amiibo
Gold 8-bit Link amiibo
Gold Zelda amiibo
Gold 8-bit Zelda amiibo
Gold Ganondorf amiibo
Gold 8-bit Ganon amiibo

GIANT Link amiibo
GIANT GOLD Link amiibo
GIANT Zelda amiibo
GIANT GOLD Zelda amiibo
GIANT Ganondrof amiibo
GIANT GOLD Ganondorf amiibo

we'reinthemoney.gif

My local TRU is getting a good amount of Mega Yarn Yoshi amiibo for the 20th.

Curler

Unconfirmed Member
I'm glad that Amiibo are slowing down a bit for my wallet. Only missing Dark Bowser, which I will get eventually. Just need to pre-order TimmyTommy from Gamestop when I get a chance, asuuming they are up (and hopefully Kirby and pals will go up soon too!) It's definitely been a jouney! ...just don't ask about my trading card collection. That IS behind!

I definitely think something big is coming for Zelda at E3. Looking at trends, a WiiU collection of games will probably happen. Fancy WiiU Zelda limited edition. Amiibos are a sure thing though. A Link series over his various looks would be awesome! Like NES/SNES Link, pixal Link (to go along with it), kid/adult N64 Link, Toon Link (for this line), Twilight Princess Link, Skyward Sword Link, new game Link.
...I would like that :)

D

Diggeh

Unconfirmed Member
I check the OP on desktop but it's the sad truth </3

That's one of the problems with having so many series and releases. I can either do a super cool big OT or a halfhearted mobile version with just text and pictures. There's no winning!

GzXqeYy.gif

j-wood

I refused to buy into this. Then I bought Zelda TP HD and used/saw the wolf link amiibo.

Son of a bitch. Now I'm about to get Smash Bros for the 3ds since I have some friends that now have a 3ds. I already have it for the wii u, but i'm thinking of getting into the amiibo game for it. Is the amiibo stuff in smash brothers actually cool?

Danthrax

Batteries the CRISIS!
I refused to buy into this. Then I bought Zelda TP HD and used/saw the wolf link amiibo.

Son of a bitch. Now I'm about to get Smash Bros for the 3ds since I have some friends that now have a 3ds. I already have it for the wii u, but i'm thinking of getting into the amiibo game for it. Is the amiibo stuff in smash brothers actually cool?

You generally don't get Amiibos for just one game, from a non-collecting standpoint ... they have better value across multiple games. The Amiibo usage in Smash Bros. isn't really worth getting an Amiibo or multiple Amiibos just for Smash Bros., IMO, but when you combine using your, let's say Link, in other games like Hyrule Warriors and Super Mario Maker and Yoshi's Wooly World, then the Smash Bros. "train your Amiibo and make him super good" mode is pretty cool.

j-wood

You generally don't get Amiibos for just one game, from a non-collecting standpoint ... they have better value across multiple games. The Amiibo usage in Smash Bros. isn't really worth getting an Amiibo or multiple Amiibos just for Smash Bros., IMO, but when you combine using your, let's say Link, in other games like Hyrule Warriors and Super Mario Maker and Yoshi's Wooly World, then the Smash Bros. "train your Amiibo and make him super good" mode is pretty cool.

Yeah that's what I was thinking. The shulk amiibo is cool, but that only works in one game.

On my wii u i have mario maker and smash bros, so it seems like I would get good use out of the amiibos?

Zonic

Gives all the fucks
Heh, got a text from my friend that he was able to find the Wolf Link amiibo for $20 at our Family Video in town. Kind of surprised they'd sell it (especially at that marked up price), but neat he was able to find one locally since he doesn't have a Wii U but is a big Zelda fan.

Danthrax

Batteries the CRISIS!
Yeah that's what I was thinking. The shulk amiibo is cool, but that only works in one game.

On my wii u i have mario maker and smash bros, so it seems like I would get good use out of the amiibos?

On the contrary ... the Sheik Amiibo does something unique or semi-unique in these games:
  • Ace Combat: Assault Horizon Legacy+ (unlocks F-15SE plane with Zelda paintjob; Zelda Amiibo does this, too)
  • Chibi-Robo: Zip Lash (unlocks a Sheik-posed Chibi-Robo figure)
  • Hyrule Warriors (grants one high-level item per day in Hyrule Warriors, which only Legend of Zelda series Amiibos do)
  • The Legend of Zelda: Twilight Princess HD (restores hearts; Zelda Amiibo does this, too)
  • Super Mario Maker (unlocks Sheik skin and sound effects for Mystery Mushroom powerup)
  • Super Smash Bros. for Wii U/3DS (allows you to train, level up and upgrade a CPU-controlled Sheik, savable only to the Amiibo)
  • Yoshi's Wooly World (unlocks a Sheik costume for Yoshi)
And your Sheik Amiibo can be used for generic bonuses that any other Amiibo can be used for in Amiibo Tap, Captain Toad and Pokkén Tournament. So there are lots of uses for it! It's one of the most versatile Amiibos, actually.

oh, Shulk, not Sheik, fuck

Shulk does something unique in Xenoblade Chronicles 3D, Super Mario Maker, Yoshi's Wooly World, Chibi-Robo: Zip Lash and Super Smash Bros., and he of course can be used for generic bonuses in Hyrule Warriors, Amiibo Tap, Captain Toad and Pokkén Tournament.

Skrams

On the contrary ... the Sheik Amiibo does something unique or semi-unique in these games:
  • Ace Combat: Assault Horizon Legacy+ (unlocks F-15SE plane with Zelda paintjob; Zelda Amiibo does this, too)
  • Chibi-Robo: Zip Lash (unlocks a Sheik-posed Chibi-Robo figure)
  • Hyrule Warriors (grants one high-level item per day in Hyrule Warriors, which only Legend of Zelda series Amiibos do)
  • The Legend of Zelda: Twilight Princess HD (restores hearts; Zelda Amiibo does this, too)
  • Super Mario Maker (unlocks Sheik skin and sound effects for Mystery Mushroom powerup)
  • Super Smash Bros. for Wii U/3DS (allows you to train, level up and upgrade a CPU-controlled Sheik, savable only to the Amiibo)
  • Yoshi's Wooly World (unlocks a Sheik costume for Yoshi)
And your Sheik Amiibo can be used for generic bonuses that any other Amiibo can be used for in Amiibo Tap, Captain Toad and Pokkén Tournament. So there are lots of uses for it! It's one of the most versatile Amiibos, actually.
Shulk

Zonic

Gives all the fucks
Shulk could still be used in Chibi-Robo, Mario Maker, Hyrule Warriors/Legends, Pokken, Xenoblade 3D, & Woolly World, if it matters.

Though it should be mentioned for Mario Maker costumes, most of them are just early unlocks so you don't have to play 100 Mario Challenge as often.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom