• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Anarchy Reigns(NA/EU) |OT| Sega, I wish I could hate you to de- *$30* I LOVE YOU SEGA

The single player is so much fun. Love doing free missions, earning plat medals, and watching the cut scenes. The graveyard scenes are total cheese balls too, I love 'em. Whenever that piano track comes on I almost feel like laughing. Jack looks so out of place wherever he goes. Sitting at a park bench or standing next to that client girl in the graveyard, he like towers over everything, lol! It's funny to me that most people find the story to be retarded. I'm sure a lot of people/critics rolled their eyes during these cut scenes. I totally don't get it. I NEED this sort of shit. It's a part of my well being, at this point, hah!

If I had to be critical of this game and compare it to Platinum's MadWorld (since this is basically a spiritual successor/sequel/revision/whatever) there's a few things I liked more about the original game over Anarchy so far. Here's just some general impressions/thoughts:

-I miss how tires worked in MW. Sure, the combat was MUCH simpler in MW, but slamming tires on enemies felt pretty fucking satisfying. In this game you just smash it over an enemy and they just get crushed and die.

-Same with the sign posts. Throwing one at en enemy doesn't feel nearyl as satisfying as it does in MW. There's a certain impact/crunch that's missing from the impale. I'm assuming because the two games play so much differently from each other that some adjustments had to be made, but if you're going to reuse ideas/weapons/items from an older game, I've got expectations now, Platinum!

-Thank god there's actual performance tracking for side missions this time. Earning medals/ranks and having a total results screen is like essential to life. MadWorld was so light on extra/replay content. I was so bothered how in MW there were all of these extra challenge missions yet there was NO reward or way to see/track that you did them all. I get that the game was made in a short period, but I was totally let down in that department. Well, it looks like they actually listened and made sure that shit was taken care of in Anarchy. It's highly appreciated.

-I still like/prefer the black & white visual style in MadWorld over the "standard" graphic style in Anarchy. Again, I TOTALLY get that these are two entirely different games, but it's just how I feel. The character models are fucking awesome in this game though. The cut scene direction annihilates MadWorld too. I'm still wondering who the cinematic director is for this game.

INCOMING NIT-PICKING!!! Ignore this paragraph for your own good!

-I like/appreciate the enemy gallery and the effort that was put into describing all of the enemies. Their little splash screen/title card introductions are cool. I will say that some (if not all) of the introduction scenes are pretty whatever-looking though. The chopper one in the first chapter on Black Side was clipping into the building and shit. Other enemies just drop from ceiling sometimes or they bust up from the ground. I totally understand that this is primarily a multiplayer game and that the single player wasn't a major focus, but I still gotta bring it up, lol! I'm not saying they need to be on Bayonetta's level or anything, but how they are handled here don't feel/look up to Platinum's level. Just sayin'.

With that said, game's fucking awesome!

Excellent post and I agree with pretty much everything you posted. But I should note you can put the tire over the head of an enemy/player stunning them in the process.

Also I'm not sure if you have the pre-order DLC but I noticed in the Mad Survival mode that there are black and white MadWorld costumes for some of the characters. Not sure if they are playable in the game, would be awesome to see them made available via a patch.

BTW I posted some of my thoughts on Mad World a few pages back, maybe we should get a LTTP going for that game, would be cool to revisit the game and discuss it in more detail.

Oh and agree 100% about the graveyard scenes being hilarious, it all goes a bit Sonic 2006 having the stylised Jack model in a normal situation with regular sized people.

But yeah it would be great to know the people involved in the cut scenes are really brilliant in places, particularly the way Nikolai is introduced in the opening, the way it cuts from his BPS eye scanning Jack, to his mouth (use of single word in Russian) then his face (full sentence in Russian).

Also the way it goes back and forth with Sasha twice, first when he's about to fight and then when he unleashes his killer weapons really sells it and defines the different characters succintly and stylishly without the need for exposition. I'm probably not detailing the scene very well but thought it was really well done and those little details stand out in making it so memorable.

So it would be great to see some of the layouts and CG renders for these sequences (will have a look over the blog to see if this has been discussed already) as I'm really enjoying them and would like to know about the creative process.

RoyalFool

Banned
Really enjoying this so far, but does anybody know if it auto-saves or do I need to manually save it. The whole save system seems a bit broken, when I come out of the gallery it moans it'll lose my progress and then goes ahead and does what looks to be an autosave - confusing.

Zaventem

Really enjoying this so far, but does anybody know if it auto-saves or do I need to manually save it. The whole save system seems a bit broken, when I come out of the gallery it moans it'll lose my progress and then goes ahead and does what looks to be an autosave - confusing.

No idea i always manually save during the campaign.

Roto13

It autosaves during the campaign whenever you complete a mission. Also, I don't know if "broken" is the word for that. :p

Yuterald

Excellent post and I agree with pretty much everything you posted. But I should note you can put the tire over the head of an enemy/player stunning them in the process.

Also I'm not sure if you have the pre-order DLC but I noticed in the Mad Survival mode that there are black and white MadWorld costumes for some of the characters. Not sure if they are playable in the game, would be awesome to see them made available via a patch.

BTW I posted some of my thoughts on Mad World a few pages back, maybe we should get a LTTP going for that game, would be cool to revisit the game and discuss it in more detail.

Oh and agree 100% about the graveyard scenes being hilarious, it all goes a bit Sonic 2006 having the stylised Jack model in a normal situation with regular sized people.

But yeah it would be great to know the people involved in the cut scenes are really brilliant in places, particularly the way Nikolai is introduced in the opening, the way it cuts from his BPS eye scanning Jack, to his mouth (use of single word in Russian) then his face (full sentence in Russian).

Also the way it goes back and forth with Sasha twice, first when he's about to fight and then when he unleashes his killer weapons really sells it and defines the different characters succintly and stylishly without the need for exposition. I'm probably not detailing the scene very well but thought it was really well done and those little details stand out in making it so memorable.

So it would be great to see some of the layouts and CG renders for these sequences (will have a look over the blog to see if this has been discussed already) as I'm really enjoying them and would like to know about the creative process.

Yeah, I just noticed that if you toss a tire it wraps around the enemy. Still doesn't have that "feel", know what I mean? I am up to Chapter 4 now on Black Side and I just saw some pretty slick scenes. The one at the end of Chapter 3 in particular was pretty hot. They TOTALLY did a homage to MadWorld, with that black and white filter, etc. So good.

Yeah, I think both games, MadWorld and Anarchy, have their own distinct crunches and satisfying blows. There's definitely something missing here and there in Anarchy, but it improves on MadWorld in so many different ways, and I guess you could say for the better. The combat is definitely more interesting, to say the least. It feels more like a fighting game than a simple beat-em-up, especially during the one-on-one boss encounters. I think I just prefer MadWorld's stages and design setups more than Anarchy. They felt more thematic and fleshed out as opposed to the "arenas" or "towns/hubs" in this game. I wish MadWorld had some sort of meaningful scoring system and ranks because it would have helped flesh out the game a bit.

Oh, and lol at that energy orb soccer free mission! That was like the epitome of a Dreamcast era game side-mission, lol! Loved it!

Neiteio

Just got it for ps3. Is there any other way I can get the bayonetta code besides preordering?
Not at the moment, but I'm hoping they will release them for purchase soon. I already have the DLC -- I preordered at Gamestop -- but it drags down the game for everyone if certain modes and an entire character are completely unavailable to people who purchased the game in other ways.

Roto13

:O

Well... You still like Big Bull, right?
I was born horny for Big Bull.
He's a bit too slow for my tastes but he's a fun character to have in the roster. The only character I actually hate in personality, design, voice, and play style is Oinkie.

RangerBAD

Are there certain requirements that need to be met to unleash a Killer Weapon special move? Like Zero's multi-slash move (R2+Triangle while in the air). There's another one with the same buttons, but on the ground.

Neiteio

He's a bit too slow for my tastes but he's a fun character to have in the roster. The only character I actually hate in personality, design, voice, and play style is Oinkie.
LOL, fair enough. :)

About Oinkie -- I actually think he's a neat character. He's definitely meant to be an annoying presence -- "baconbaconbaconbaconbacon" -- but I think it's cute. Hard for me to wrap my head around his Killer Weapon, though; it looks cool, but it seems short-ranged since you're still using his fists, albeit in massive claw form. Baron is similarly counter-intuitive for me.

RangerBAD

I'd rather have a Mutant that you can ride (like in that one mission) than Oinkie.

Volcynika

Are there certain requirements that need to be met to unleash a Killer Weapon special move? Like Zero's multi-slash move (R2+Triangle while in the air). There's another one with the same buttons, but on the ground.

You have a meter (under your heatlh I think) that's divided into four bars.

Weak killer move = One bar
Strong killer move = Two bars

Deal damage to refill the bars.

Roto13

Sorry, that's not what I mean. :/
I think it just comes out if you land it just right. Of you do it against a standing, not-blocking dummy, it works every time.

Every strong killer weapon attack seems to have a throw like that. Aerial, standing, or charging, so three per character.

RangerBAD

I think it just comes out if you land it just right. Of you do it against a standing, not-blocking dummy, it works every time.

Every strong killer weapon attack seems to have a throw like that. Aerial, standing, or charging, so three per character.

I was hoping it was somehow context sensitive, but I guess not. I know that I get killed by Rin Rin's a lot. Everyone uses a Rin sister just about.

R

Retro_

Unconfirmed Member
Zero's is actually bugged in that he can get the animation on grounded opponents allowing him to combo the move with itself.

he can also do it in the air if timed right with the Air KWH trick I believe

RangerBAD

Zero's is actually bugged in that he can get the animation on grounded opponents allowing him to combo the move with itself.

he can also do it in the air if timed right with the Air KWH trick I believe

So the opponents normally have to be in the air for most other characters?

RangerBAD

I'll just have to play around with it in training or single player and see what I can figure out.

Just thought about it and Zero should definitely have a self destruct move. "I am ashamed..." *BOOM!*

R

Retro_

Unconfirmed Member
So the opponents normally have to be in the air for most other characters?

They have to be standing feet planted

by "grounded" I mean character who have been floored by an untechable knockdown(or failing to ground tech)

Sorry for confusing terminology

bitoriginal

Fuck. This game is the videogame equivalent of taking 3 tabs of acid and smoking crack all night long. I've just come off a 3 hour binge and I feel completely wired. Theres a multitude of colours still flashing behind my retinas.

When I started playing multiplayer, I didn't gel with it straight away. I was getting completely annihilated and seriously frustrated. I actually punched my sofa like a 13 year old. I was messing around with different characters and learning nothing. My opponents were ruthless.

However, after playing a game of capture the flag, with a team that attempted to actually work together, it finally clicked. The reward you gain from mercilessly ganking a dude who cannot do a thing (fuck you 360% spin) while protecting the flag felt good. I then broke up from the pack to find the red dot on my radar, and proceeded to have an epic duel as finally my half-man half robotic panther jumped in the air and shot my enemy in the face with my gun leg for the kill.

Platinum have done it again.

RoboPlato

I'd be in the dick
Man, I am loving this game. I've had a lot of work this week so I haven't even played online yet but I've finished Black in the Campaign and am on Stage 2 in White. Really digging Leo. I'm enjoying the soundtrack a lot too, which I wasn't expecting since I usually don't like hip-hop but the stuff in this is fitting and catchy.

I'll probably be doing multiplayer in between DmC sessions this week and I'm looking forward to it.

chrono01

Man, I am loving this game. I've had a lot of work this week so I haven't even played online yet but I've finished Black in the Campaign and am on Stage 2 in White. Really digging Leo. I'm enjoying the soundtrack a lot too, which I wasn't expecting since I usually don't like hip-hop but the stuff in this is fitting and catchy.

I'll probably be doing multiplayer in between DmC sessions this week and I'm looking forward to it.

Haha, insane. I'm at exactly the same part you are [White, Stage 2 - after completing Black Side], and I too am really enjoying Leo [he's a lot more "nimble" than Jack, and I'm really enjoying his playstyle. I haven't played online yet either, but will likely do-so tomorrow.

I'm having a great time with this one!

Yuterald

Whoa, end of Stage 1 cut scene on White Side was hot. That flashback scene with Max and the crew fighting criminals in the streets, damn yo. There were SO many good shots in that scene. I particularly like the shot where Max swats the bullet in slow motion away from his face. All of the main, playable character introductions are really good too. Sasha's Bayonetta-like "performances" are pretty ace.

I also noticed that their eyes turn different colors when they are communicating/data base searching. I think Jack's eyes turn green when what's-her-face is talking to him and the White Side crew's eyes turn blue. There's a lot of small detail in these cut scenes! So much class! Love ya Platinum!

RoboPlato

I'd be in the dick
Whoa, end of Stage 1 cut scene on White Side was hot. That flashback scene with Max and the crew fighting criminals in the streets, damn yo. There were SO many good shots in that scene. I particularly like the shot where Max swats the bullet in slow motion away from his face. All of the main, playable character introductions are really good too. Sasha's Bayonetta-like "performances" are pretty ace.

I also noticed that their eyes turn different colors when they are communicating/data base searching. I think Jack's eyes turn green when what's-her-face is talking to him and the White Side crew's eyes turn blue. There's a lot of small detail in these cut scenes! So much class! Love ya Platinum!
That was a great cutscene. I'm actually surprised at how good the cutscenes are in this game. Way better than most of Platinum's stuff, especially Vanquish, and I didn't expect that at all out of this.

Yuterald

That was a great cutscene. I'm actually surprised at how good the cutscenes are in this game. Way better than most of Platinum's stuff, especially Vanquish, and I didn't expect that at all out of this.

Well, it's certainly better than MadWorld, that's for sure. It's not on Bayonetta's level, but there's certainly a higher level of competency in the cinema department. I wonder who the cinematic/cut scene director is. It can't be Yuji Shimomura, right? I mean, this stuff is pretty good, but not Shimomura level.

I liked all the cut scenes in Vanquish though. The intro scene with the cigarette slice was good shit and the final boss scene was ridiculously well captured. Sam using all of his gun transformations, flying around, jumping from debris, fighting those two Russian drone dudes. That's some heaven class there.

bitoriginal

Man, online can be brutal in this game, but when it clicks, it really clicks. Having a blast, haven't enjoyed an online mode this much since the days of Red Faction Guerilla.

I don't know why I keep buying UE3 games on PS3. Just finished a Battle Royale round that was a constant 20fps. Ugh.
Its a fun game but I wish there was a PC version.

TGMIII

Wow, Durga+Garuda on Hard is some bullshit. Infinite combos for days.

I just ran and let Sasha take the brunt of the attacks then caught both of them with killer attacks.

I don't know why I keep buying UE3 games on PS3. Just finished a Battle Royale round that was a constant 20fps. Ugh.
Its a fun game but I wish there was a PC version.

It doesn't run on UE3. The 360 version is really no better in terms of frame rate.

GuardianE

Santa May Claus
I just ran and let Sasha take the brunt of the attacks then caught both of them with killer attacks.

That didn't seem to work for me because they hunted me like madmen.

I eventually got it, but it consisted of taking Durga out ASAP and trying to avoid Garuda as best I could. The last few retries, though, I literally got juggled in the corner to death. I couldn't even 360 attack.

Neiteio

Lots of love for the cutscenes in this thread, but damn is everything involving Jack and his
daughter
annoying.

But whatevs, I play this to steamroll distracted players with a charging Big Bull or thwack-a-doodle-doo them with Ai Rin's lightning 'chuks.

Kard8p3

Going to pick this up(hopefully) tomorrow, if not then, then it will be sometime this week :). Can't wait! Anything I should be aware of before I start playing?

Kard8p3; Kard8p3; Xbox 360

Played through this on Hard because I thought it was regular game hard, but Platinum showed me what hard meant. Durga kicked my ass, both times.

The amount of bodysuit booty in this game (omg Sasha) is something amazing, I definitely approve.

Baron is the best. He's way too black for this shit.

And at the end, did
a chainsaw cut through a laser beam?

Amazing game. Time to hit the onlines!

Top Bottom