• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Anarchy Reigns(NA/EU) |OT| Sega, I wish I could hate you to de- *$30* I LOVE YOU SEGA

Shizzlee

started playing gargoyle today

Heh

never realized how good his jKWL was. The tracking is so good on it

What's best is that it goes around corners, tracks people as they fall off buildings, and if you pass up your target he freaks out and goes in a circle. You might end up landing right in front of your target so you can do it again. He's ass in Cage Match tho. Just so you know. :(

Majukun

Wonder if the game's gonna get DLC and/or balance patches.

counting the sistuation between sega and platnum games and the fact that the game has been out for months in japan and no balance dlc has been release,i don't think so.

Anyway,yesterday i've tried douglas..it's a beast

Kajiba

counting the sistuation between sega and platnum games and the fact that the game has been out for months in japan and no balance dlc has been release,i don't think so.

Anyway,yesterday i've tried douglas..it's a beast

Douglas is pretty fun. I've Been trying out other characters like Max and Zero as of lately. Really like Max the most right now.

Majukun

when this game is good is really good,but when it's bad it's REALLY bad...i don't understand why the lock on is so poor,it sometimes change objective without any input (one time i was locking a near-dead guy and instead the lock on changed to ctulhu a moment before i launched my attack,useless to say, it didn't end well).
Lag is a problem too sometimes,with moves that clearly connect first,but are interrupted by the opponent's counterattack.

Plus i'm not ok with some design decisions,like the charging of some uber-powered move that it's strangely unstoppable,so it's useless if you strike first because the guy is gonna hit you anyway,and when you do them you don't need timing,because once the charging has begun,the only thing the opponent can do is dodge ,wouldn't have made more sense if they made so that the charge would stop after being hit?

anyway,even with the problems,i'm having a good time with the game,with some moments of frustation though.

akaoni

Banned
I played through the campaign to unlock 'Takedown Defence' which was the last abilitity I didn't have as I figured it would save me from getting lag thrown all the time. Tried it out, worked a few times, then the next map I got thrown twice in a row. So much for "breaking all throws"?

Been trying to learn some launcher rotations, but 9/10 times either the launcher or fails (they're still standing there) or the opponent becomes displaced and I can't land a jKWH. Watching the developer Battle Royale from Shizzlee's perspective makes me think it could be something on my end, tried DMZ'ing the PS3 on the router with no improvement. Speed results in the PS3 connection test only give approx 30% of their full capability, but I hear that's normal. First world problems.

McBradders

NeoGAF: my new HOME
I played through the campaign to unlock 'Takedown Defence' which was the last abilitity I didn't have as I figured it would save me from getting lag thrown all the time. Tried it out, worked a few times, then the next map I got thrown twice in a row. So much for "breaking all throws"?

It doesn't break throws if you're in the middle of an action, for instance if you are hitting someone on the ground, they can come up and throw you from behind.

akaoni

Banned
It doesn't break throws if you're in the middle of an action, for instance if you are hitting someone on the ground, they can come up and throw you from behind.

Are you sure? For certain abilities it specifically states they don't work "while taking damage or attacking", but for the throwbreak ability it says it works "in all instances", so that would make the description very incorrect.

R

Retro_

Unconfirmed Member

If you can't beat em, join em. lol

What's best is that it goes around corners, tracks people as they fall off buildings, and if you pass up your target he freaks out and goes in a circle. You might end up landing right in front of your target so you can do it again.

Yeah I was really surprised at all that. Insanely fun move.

He's ass in Cage Match tho. Just so you know. :(

Well he's not a Rin so that goes without saying really

Are you sure? For certain abilities it specifically states they don't work "while taking damage or attacking", but for the throwbreak ability it says it works "in all instances", so that would make the description very incorrect.

It says for all instances where you could normally tech a throw

so if you're stunned then thrown you'll eat the throw even with the perk

You can't break throws when staggered or stunned, maybe that's why?

Throw break window is actually pretty massive, it's just that you can't block and tech the throw simultaneously which is confusing (I'm guessing by your VF avatar that it's what you're familiar with)

akaoni

Banned
It says for all instances where you could normally tech a throw

so if you're stunned then thrown you'll eat the throw even with the perk

You can't break throws when staggered or stunned, maybe that's why?

Throw break window is actually pretty massive, it's just that you can't block and tech the throw simultaneously which is confusing (I'm guessing by your VF avatar that it's what you're familiar with)

Strong possibility I was stunned during the battle royale mess, thanks for clearing my misunderstanding.

Avatar is from DOA5, I'm rubbish at fighting games though. Does it mean you have to actively release block in this game in order for throw breaking to work? That I would explain why I've been eating them 24/7 if true.
EDIT: Yes, it seems pretty clear, dumb question. I'll have to give a test run at some point. Thanks.

Majukun

my god some people are really stupid online...playing capture the flag and instead of targeting the guy with the flag they attack the one chasing him....letting the opponent go get the point without any problem....

Roto13

my god some people are really stupid online...playing capture the flag and instead of targeting the guy with the flag they attack the one chasing him....letting the opponent go get the point without any problem....

Some people play every mode like it's Battle Royale.

Strong possibility I was stunned during the battle royale mess, thanks for clearing my misunderstanding.

Avatar is from DOA5, I'm rubbish at fighting games though. Does it mean you have to actively release block in this game in order for throw breaking to work? That I would explain why I've been eating them 24/7 if true.
EDIT: Yes, it seems pretty clear, dumb question. I'll have to give a test run at some point. Thanks.

Yeah, you can't option select both throw and block at the same time, defense is already pretty good in this game with how good dodges are and the master evader and guard master perks. The consensus on SRK seems to be that throws are actually relatively weak outside of absurd lag situations, and I've been getting thrown less and less. I think people are conditioned to think that once the cinematic animation starts the tech window is already over because of how fighting games work, but here you can still tech out during the first moments when the camera starts moving.

For the life of me I can not figure out what the j stands for in jKWL and jKWH.

Is there some guide somewhere to all the terminology/techniques of this game? I'm loving it and really want to get into it.
The j stands for jumping, it's fighting game terminology (AA = Anti-Air (ascending H), etc) . This guy has a lot of good videos on his youtube, and you can search for other stuff about the game though some of it is in Japanese. A lot of the advanced combos require you to do moves with difficult timing towards the end of the jump, so that the landing animation cancels out the move animation to let you continue the combo, but they arent' strictly necessary (I practiced a bunch of them but had no way of landing them in a game).

Is there some guide somewhere to all the terminology/techniques of this game? I'm loving it and really want to get into it.

Kyouji

Haman Discharged... she smells nice

Jumping Killer Weapon Light and Jumping Killer Weapon Heavy.

The End

Loving the game, population (at least on XBL) is killing it though

Played my first ranked match, was ranked at like 1063, if that says anything about the number of people playing

Is it any better on PS3?

Loving the game, population (at least on XBL) is killing it though

Played my first ranked match, was ranked at like 1063, if that says anything about the number of people playing

Is it any better on PS3?

The first few days it was super quick to get into a game on PS3 but it seems to be thinning out rather quickly.

Basically the only game type to get going quickly is TDM. A shame since death ball is so awesome :(

Neiteio

Don't search for matches. Be patient and host them. Ninety-nine percent of people only search for games, so they will inevitably show up in the ones you host. Nearly all of the Battle Royales I've been in were started by myself, for example. I just walk away for five minutes while it fills up, then the group usually stays around for three or four matches. (You only need 12 to start, but it snowballs to 16)

Majukun

The first few days it was super quick to get into a game on PS3 but it seems to be thinning out rather quickly.

Basically the only game type to get going quickly is TDM. A shame since death ball is so awesome :(

managed to make my first death ball matches this evening.
game mode is simple but fun,and at least seems that people understand how it works ,or maybe i was lucky enough to find people willing to play as a team

bone_and_sinew

breaking down barriers in gratuitous nudity
Don't search for matches. Be patient and host them. Ninety-nine percent of people only search for games, so they will inevitably show up in the ones you host. Nearly all of the Battle Royales I've been in were started by myself, for example. I just walk away for five minutes while it fills up, then the group usually stays around for three or four matches. (You only need 12 to start, but it snowballs to 16)
conspiracy-keanu-blank2-150x150.jpg

What if everyone starts hosting and there aren't people available because they're all waiting at the same time.

I still haven't played a deathball or helicopters match. The only two match types I can never get a game going.

akaoni

Banned

It's the lobby finder interface that will hurt the population the most. Every game you join is a random lottery on what game mode you're going to face and how good the connection quality is going to be even if you can pick your region to help, thus lots of people spamming back and forth between lobbies, people getting bored waiting etc. Hosting a TDM lobby is a very safe choice because people are going to be more likely to pick it using the filter because it's either filter by one or everything. It's a very vicious snowball that makes finding good games a bit too inconvenient for most potential players. I've been having quite good luck lately finding games, but I've had my fair share of bad ones that make you want to just quit the game. It's an inevitable process of course, so I'm more or less saying it will speed up the process, considerably so.

Or the game is just that bad and you're all people with bad taste, or [xyz].

It's the lobby finder interface that will hurt the population the most. Every game you join is a random lottery on what game mode you're going to face and how good the connection quality is going to be even if you can pick your region to help, thus lots of people spamming back and forth between lobbies, people getting bored waiting etc. Hosting a TDM lobby is a very safe choice because people are going to be more likely to pick it using the filter because it's either filter by one or everything. It's a very vicious snowball that makes finding good games a bit too inconvenient for most potential players. I've been having quite good luck lately finding games, but I've had my fair share of bad ones that make you want to just quit the game. It's an inevitable process of course, so I'm more or less saying it will speed up the process, considerably so.

Or the game is just that bad and you're all people with bad taste, or [xyz].

I really wish this game had rooms like many other online games so people could look around and see sessions in progress.

Wasn't much use in our game earlier this evening, was getting juggled and triple teamed by a well organised opponents. Brutal learning curve but great to see what people are able to do with the fighting system if they work together. Need to read up on the characters' movesets and improve for next time.

Neiteio

If they patched a training room into the lobbies, like Kid Icarus Uprising, waiting for people to file in would go by in a snap.

R

Retro_

Unconfirmed Member
If they patched a training room into the lobbies, like Kid Icarus Uprising, waiting for people to file in would go by in a snap.

it'd still be a long ass time

I just go on my phone or browse the internet while waiting

Thats a great idea. Gundam EXVS has that feature where the people currently in the lobby with "ready" status can play while they wait for the full game to start.

Neiteio

it'd still be a long ass time

I just go on my phone or browse the internet while waiting
But the point of training rooms in the lobby would be people can at least have fun enjoying the mechanics of the game while waiting for a match to start. Otherwise, if they have a mind to play the game, first and foremost, they would play a CPU match or something. This encourages them to stick it out and wait for humans since they won't be spinning their wheels in the meanwhile. :)

Majukun

is it even possible to beat the third free mission on white side on hard?the one against the super red mutant?my punch and kicks don't deal enough damage to destroy the beast before the time runs out...

EDIT:nevermind,i've managed to do it with the help of some rocket launchers

deim0s

That was a mean game of Death ball! Two close fights and a crushing win on the last one, why people ain't choosing to play this most of the time?

kiyomi

Haven't been able to play as much as I wanted but managed to have a couple of good TDM games against Akaoni and Kyouji earlier this evening, so thanks guys!

Lost both of them but I felt like I wasn't completely overwhelmed, so :D

Also the other night I spent an hour and a bit with the TV on in the background just having the soundtrack on. Really appreciate little touches like being able to access that stuff ingame.

Kyouji

Oh wow, didn't realise you were a GAFfer, deimos! Nice playing with you. Those first two rounds, the bloody Zero was doing a number on me. He'd do an air KW on me, then while I was on the ground, I couldn't techroll away from his ground KW heavy. I was pretty mad at that. And every time I tried to intercept the ice elemental supershots, half their team would chase after me and lock me in a combo. FFFFFFFFFFF.

Edit: Oh man, I just realised that other Ai Rin was you, Monosukoi. Haha, GG!

deim0s

@Kyouji
Yeah, that Zero is a mother - he locked me up for some rounds too - plus that Bayonetta has a mad fetish for ironclad men. :p

I don't really use the larger characters, but seems grabbing two guys just to slow the other team down is good enough.

GG.

akaoni

Banned
They were pretty even deathball matches, though I was mad how we lost the first one when I made it to the gate with rampge activated and the clock ran out as I waited for it to open, we only lost by 1. The Zero player you speak of knew deathball extremely well and the character has some pretty damaging strings that seemed easy to pull off when he wanted to harass you, along with those 360 shenanigans he has.

I still haven't worked out how to pass or shoot properly!

Good games.

I tried a few battle royale and team battles, it was anarchy indeed, I don't think I'm used to playing something where I have so little control over the situation. It's more about movement and teaming on lone players than mind-games, I guess I just can't adjust to that, constantly getting interrupted when doing my combos is bad enough, but the lag just makes it worse. I do horrible in team battles.

However I have plenty of fun playing cage matches, even when I get my ass kicked it's still enjoyable. Because I have more control over the situation, I know that it's my fault for screwing up. Been using a lot of Max, using his step combo to bait a 360 attack and then punish with a full combo is extremely satisfying.

While playing with good players, I'm slowly figuring out the mind-games behind the game. As far as I know, light attacks and step combos are used to bait 360 attacks, if you think the opponent won't do 360, you can attempt to combo it into a heavy attack or even KW(but people will probably 360 the moment they see your KW come out). If the opponent is blocking, heavy attacks are also good for breaking guards, however if the opponent sees it coming they can dodge and punish you with light attacks, but if you see the dodge coming and continue your combo string with light attacks you have a good chance of catching him trying to retaliate and counter hit him, where you can do launcher into your strongest combo. I don't know if it's because of the connection, but throws have absurd range in this game, and can easily grab people out of dodges, making it another good method to punish people trying to dodge your attack strings.

This is what I have gathered so far.

Kyouji

Is there some way for all of us to be in a PSN chatroom or something? Right now there's way too many potential players for me to add to my friend's list (I'm lazy). It'd be much easier to organise with a PSN chatroom or IRC chatroom. It's what we did for Gundam EXVS, and the GAF group is still active in that game a year later partly because of that. I can setup an IRC room if people are in favour of that; it's much easier than PSN chat for those of us without a PS3 keyboard.

EDIT: I went ahead and created an IRC channel on EsperNet, #gafanarchy

Strife91

I still haven't received my copy from Zavvi. They dispatched it December 31th...

Edit: LOL. My copy arrived just a minute after this post.

Recall

PS3 has a marginally less stable framerate, but no screen tearing and more GAFfers playing (and probably more players in general)

I've not suffered from any screen tearing on the 360 version :/ is it only in a specific part or is it supposedly a more a general thing?

R

Retro_

Unconfirmed Member
I've not suffered from any screen tearing on the 360 version :/ is it only in a specific part or is it supposedly a more a general thing?

It's some minimal number detected by a computer program in the demo

so more or less it's a meaningless distinction to the end user. Which is usually what port differences between Platinum games end up coming down to after the Bayonetta fiasco.

Both versions are good.

4 player deathmatch is where its at, spent a good two hours playing as sasha in simulation yesterday doing deathmatch. Now that psn is up and running again Il be able to play with real humans (and lose haha)

Allonym

There should be more tampons in gaming
Bought the game but it's just not for me. I've really tried to enjoyed it but it's just not clicking with me. I thought it was a modern day alternative to Powerstone and it may very well be but I just don't find it fun.

parkinho

Liking what I have seen so far, but boy do I suck! If anybody wants a few easy kills then please add me (am based in the UK):

parkinho; parkinho; 360

Cheers

Teknoman

Bought the game but it's just not for me. I've really tried to enjoyed it but it's just not clicking with me. I thought it was a modern day alternative to Powerstone and it may very well be but I just don't find it fun.

Try some team modes or smaller games first. If your first MP experience was a full 16 person free for all, I can see people getting turned off.

Top Bottom