• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Anarchy Reigns(NA/EU) |OT| Sega, I wish I could hate you to de- *$30* I LOVE YOU SEGA

Kyouji

Haman Discharged... she smells nice
Bought the game but it's just not for me. I've really tried to enjoyed it but it's just not clicking with me. I thought it was a modern day alternative to Powerstone and it may very well be but I just don't find it fun.

Start out with something like Deathmatch or maybe some TDM with GAFfers. Also feel free to ask us about any of the mechanics. Some of the modes are barely explained in-game.

wwm0nkey

Was teaching my gf how to play via private cage matches, vs NPC matches and then online. Pretty easy game to get into when you practice for an hour or 2 according to her.

Game pisses me off, rampage, spin attack, map size and wombo combo's are so frustrating.

Yeah, being air-juggled for 5 seconds into someone else's KWH is beyond frustrating. And using a rampage to counter a rampage, then later getting killed by someone else's rampage to which you can't counter is really annoying.

Beginner's Guide to defense

This got posted on SRK by one of the users there. A lot of info I didn't know, like how the dodge mechanics worked precisely, but seeing how he covered defense before everything else shows you how important it is in the game.

As salty as I get, this game is amazing fun.

Kyouji

Sharing that evade glitch with more people is only going to harm the community in the long run. Some of us make a conscious effort not to use it as defence and evasion is already pretty strong once you get past the beginner's stage of the game. I understand he's trying to help, but in this case, he's just gonna fuck up the community more by encouraging people to use an unintended "feature." There are a few other problems and "features" in the game that have been known since its Japanese release, and Sega hasn't commissioned P* to fix any of it. Don't get me wrong, I love the game, but there are problems with it that can really ruin the game for you when the wrong conditions align.

GuardianE

Santa May Claus
Sharing that evade glitch with more people is only going to harm the community in the long run. Some of us make a conscious effort not to use it as defence and evasion is already pretty strong once you get past the beginner's stage of the game. I understand he's trying to help, but in this case, he's just gonna fuck up the community more by encouraging people to use an unintended "feature." There are a few other problems and "features" in the game that have been known since its Japanese release, and Sega hasn't commissioned P* to fix any of it. Don't get me wrong, I love the game, but there are problems with it that can really ruin the game for you when the wrong conditions align.

Is it really that broken a mechanic? Doesn't it simply change the pace of the game if everyone knows it? I liken it to something like wavedashing, plinking, option-selects, or other unintended features in competitive games.

Kyouji

Try killing someone when they're doing that. It pretty much ruins any chance of taking out someone 1v1 (which is already hard enough with normal evasion tactics and stepping). Just ask akaoni how annoying it was trying to take me out 1v1 and even 2v1 at times during our games yesterday when we were on opposite teams.

Edit: To clarify, I wasn't even using the glitch.

In the experience of the fighting game community, it's never been helpful to the overall metagame if you try to exclude knowledge from parts of the player population. Not telling people about it isn't going to make it go away if it's a problem, and 1v1s have enough problems outside of defense being too strong, imo. The best thing if you find yourself versus a single person is to disengage, isn't it? Even if you beat and kill him (even if he's not using any dodge glitches) will take too long for it to be worthwhile, and if you lose you've lost points AND wasted time.

akaoni

Banned
Is it really that broken a mechanic? Doesn't it simply change the pace of the game if everyone knows it? I liken it to something like wavedashing, plinking, option-selects, or other unintended features in competitive games.

It's definitely broken, as kyouji mentioned we had a very notable fight yesterday in TDM and neither of us were backing off, at most we would take 1 or 2 hits, then evade and evade and by the time we starting fighting again we're sitting at full health again, the fight definitely went on for 1-2 minutes with no result. Perhaps a rebuttal might be 1v1's shouldn't take place in team games with the huge environments for escaping etc, which I can somewhat agree with.
(EDIT: To clarify this is without abusing the glitch, I could not finish him, nor him me, and without using any type of map transports)

Some modes also allow abilities one of which is master evader (2x dodge distance with a 6 dodge limit). I didn't know about the glitch until I read platinumgames forum today, and it literally breaks the modes you can use this ability in, I can dodge away from the opponents so fast that they won't catch me 9/10 times without some extreme luck.

The dodging issue gets larger on worse connections. From my experience - and anyone who does not have this problem please do say so - 4 bars will have issues with sticking to your opponent when using straight light attacks compared to offline. As this issue gets worse with worse latency and even though it looks like you're hitting your opponent they'll still dodge away while guarding like you never made contact. This is particularly noticeable if you use rampage, for example on 2 bars I can't kill anyone because it never sticks to start the barrage of attacks, I literally cannot kill anyone if they just keep dodging away even if he looks like I get the initial hit or so required.

So yeah, this makes the game reduced even more to catching an opponent with an item and/or unleashing a 1 second wombo combo on them.

akaoni

Banned
Yeah, to clarify, I haven't used it or seen in used, so I don't really have a frame of reference.

It's a very good point though, you can say that this will just become part of the meta that everyone has to learn and although some may find it an undesireable outcome we just have to suck it up. The game already relies heavily on items/wombo combos, but this just raises defensive potential through the roof - master evader for example was godlike even with the limit.

____

EDIT: I should add that I think the ability to disable items in a lobby would solve some of the issue, you would still have strong dodging capabilities but it would be reduced at least. However as players are aware, abilities are always enabled on certain game modes. A potential meta solution between a group of familiar players may be not equipping an ability or avoiding a specific few. It's not that we're trying to be e-sports, it's just for me personally it starts to lean towards 'not fun'.

That's one of the interesting things about the game, imo. There's a ton of mechanical stuff that would be completely broken in other games but usually tempered by some other extremely dumb mechanic or is made inconsistent via lag. You spend the vast majority of the time guarding or dodging, sure, but I think the game punishes it via the scoring system because outside of being part of a 2-on-1 or 3-on-1 in a team deathmatch/battle, there's a opportunity cost to staying put and playing pure defense. Also, the health regeneration, ironically enough, is balanced out by the abundance of 100% combos, most of which need a raw H to start which is pretty risky. It basically means that if you drop a combo it's as if you never hit them at all, and it makes safe things like lean attacks and ground strings pretty weak outside of baiting 360 attacks because the damage output doesn't add up. It would be a much worse and repetitive game without health regen, definitely, because I think safe and effective/easy offense would remove a lot of the strategy in the game.

If anything, I hope more new players realize I can sit there and defend them all day, so they don't keep doing dash attacks at me when I try to leave which forces me to sit there and dance for 30 seconds.

UrbanRats

PS3 has a marginally less stable framerate, but no screen tearing and more GAFfers playing (and probably more players in general)

I've not suffered from any screen tearing on the 360 version :/ is it only in a specific part or is it supposedly a more a general thing?

It's some minimal number detected by a computer program in the demo

so more or less it's a meaningless distinction to the end user. Which is usually what port differences between Platinum games end up coming down to after the Bayonetta fiasco.

Both versions are good.

Ok, thanks guys.

I'm not done with this game yet. I'm going to keep covering it in the next few weeks, months, years maybe.

But I'm still miffed about the lack of splitscreen. It's just not right.

d0c_zaius

sorry if this has been covered, but is there any way to access the levels I missed by picking white first by using stage select to clear them out?

cj_iwakura

Just finished single player.

(Black side)

Amazing stuff, even Leo's story had its moments.

Short but fun, loved the gameplay and character concepts, and that hip-hop production.

Favorite tracks: Sasha's theme(I think, has a male rapping and a female chorus), Days of Old(Baron's theme), and the Rin Sister music. All great stuff.

akaoni

Banned
sorry if this has been covered, but is there any way to access the levels I missed by picking white first by using stage select to clear them out?

Unfortunately no, you need to go to campaign > new and pick the other side first. I had to do this to unlock the final ability I needed because your campaign choice determines the other character that will miss Bari Shur (desert) as a proper map I think. Of course once you reach them you're free to pick them all at any time with stage select.

Not had a chance to go online yet.

Any tips on how to get better medals in the missions? I feel like I'm mashing buttons rather than being elegant in my input.

akaoni

Banned
Any tips on how to get better medals in the missions? I feel like I'm mashing buttons rather than being elegant in my input.

Do everything as fast as possible while killing what's necessary or can be killed without slowing down the mission. Try not to get hit for the vitality/perfect bonus. If there's a mission with some tough enemies that stop you getting the better medals then try to have some items/rampage filled before starting the mission.

I guess it helps to know what you need to do in order to efficiently cheese your way through enemies. KW is your best option most of the time, just keep spamming light/heavy attacks to build the bar, then spend it on KWL for easy enemies and KWH for tougher enemies.

EDIT: This game doesn't need elegance.

Is there some way for all of us to be in a PSN chatroom or something? Right now there's way too many potential players for me to add to my friend's list (I'm lazy). It'd be much easier to organise with a PSN chatroom or IRC chatroom. It's what we did for Gundam EXVS, and the GAF group is still active in that game a year later partly because of that. I can setup an IRC room if people are in favour of that; it's much easier than PSN chat for those of us without a PS3 keyboard.

EDIT: I went ahead and created an IRC channel on EsperNet, #gafanarchy

I'm there now.

I would also like an invite to the PSN chatroom if there is one (EdgeyPoo).

Ricker

Probably been asked a few times now but this thread is 57 pages already but is it worth it just to play the single player?

Recall

Probably been asked a few times now but this thread is 57 pages already but is it worth it just to play the single player?

Honestly yes, and if you are into your achievements/trophies its especially worth it as they are all campaign based.

Zampano

Not been able to start a single online game so far. Just sat in the lobby two or three people short for half an hour.

Add me if you want on 360 - Freaknut

Finished the single player on hard, but I didn't do the last free mission on White Side Stage 4(I unlocked the Main Mission at the same time and went straight to it and finished the game). And now white side stage 4 is the only stage I can't access freely, and I can't get to White->Red Side. How can I go back and finish off stage 4? Do I need to start a new game?

akaoni

Banned
Had a ton of games with DECOY-LDN and a few with Edgeypoo, was great stuff besides the JP hosted battle royale lag.

New things of note; having hosted for the first time, being the host is a power in itself because the game plays like it does in the training room, framerate seems smoother, you can combo easier like in the training room, you can dish out 360s with a higher chance of success and you can punish theme easier which was most notable when I killed a player with a jKWH while he had visually started his 360 animation. If you're playing in a laggy game, lean extender feels very reliable for dealing with the lag so that you can use your string of lights, but it might have just been placebo.

It's getting more and more difficult to get games going, which was surprising for a Saturday afternoon, thus we ended up on a Japanese hosted lobby just to get a suitable game. When I hosted we only got 2 games in before the other team wouldn't fill and I gave it a reasonable 10-15 minutes before giving up.

I notice most of my posts about the game appear negative, but I can assure you the game is a lot of fun and you should buy it if you're on the fence!

So I can get into this ClubCrazy for $30, yeah, I am thinking I might pick this up as my first purchase of the year. I might look at some reviews and if I see it around next time I am out, I might snag it.

akaoni

Banned
Now I feel bad for never playing this mode. How many people is it for?

It's for 8. There's a ball in the centre at the start, both teams close - you pickup the ball when it's not held by simply running into it, every round after first goal the team who conceded gets advantage on the ball spawn. When you take posession there's a bar at the top, hold the ball until the bar fills with your team colour and the enemy team goal opens when it passes a small arrow mark, when the bar fills you can use a superstar shot which will score from any distance, damage enemies it touches and can only be stopped by a player of the same element (fire, ice, eletricity, poison) or a player with rampage activated. When you have the ball you cannot attack as you normally would, just a simple smash of the ball at your location, but you can use 360. To take the ball from the enemy a few attacks does the trick, some characters being notably better than others, or a successful throw will cause a drop everytime. R2 hurls the ball in the direction you're facing, you can also pass directly by targetting a teammate as you would do with an enemy then pressing R2, but this fails quite often for me, and I'm not sure how to judge using R2 to shoot into an open goal because I always miss.

Now I feel bad for never playing this mode. How many people is it for?
8. It's a lot of fun when everyone tries, but it's probably the most frustrating thing in the world when your team is trying to get kills instead of moving the ball while the score is 1-6. You have to try to hold the ball for as long as possible, and if you hold it long enough the goal opens so you can run for a touchdown, or hold it for the maximum amount and you get to shoot the ball. It's nice because it reduces the emphasis on defense but also changes priorities on offense. Knocking the ball away from someone or keeping someone occupied while your runner goes past them are more important than doing damage.
So I can get into this ClubCrazy for $30, yeah, I am thinking I might pick this up as my first purchase of the year. I might look at some reviews and if I see it around next time I am out, I might snag it.
Many of the reviews aren't particularly positive and a couple are poorly-researched, so keep in mind that it's not a standard game and it's not an easy game, plus it's not a AAA release, and the scores reflect those things. IGN's review is particularly egregious, afaik.

smr00

Banned
After reading about 10 pages of this thread i have decided to go buy this.

I am going to destroy every single one of you on the 360 version.

After reading about 10 pages of this thread i have decided to go buy this.

I am going to destroy every single one of you on the 360 version.

Play me in cage match bro, I've been going undefeated since I learned how to actually play the game, let's see if you can handle my Max <3

Top Bottom