• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Anarchy Reigns(NA/EU) |OT| Sega, I wish I could hate you to de- *$30* I LOVE YOU SEGA

thepainlibrary

Neo Member
the campaign left me suprisingly satisfied while the multiplayer left me super salty
I got what a needed out of the game
and at 30 bucks
i mean
GOTTAMn
Blacker Baron for Character of the year tho

I finally understood why Bayo is broken, she can combo her light->heavy combo straight into her KW combo. That's insane, it breaks the whole dynamic of the combo system, when you get hit by a combo in this game, the common mind-game is to either take the light->heavy combo for some moderate damage, or risk a 360 attack which might get punished by a damaging KW combo. But Bayo breaks that rule, when you get hit by Bayo, both wrong guesses will result in KW combo, so there is no almost no risk for the Bayo player at all.

Can any other character do that? Because it's pretty bullshit.

Oublieux

So what are the chances this games online community is alive in several months? This game came out at kind of a bad time for me to get into an MP game.

I'd honestly be a bit wary. I'd say Platinum games always has a very niche and loyal but small user base in comparison to other AAA games. I wouldn't be surprised if MP thinned out in the next few months simply because of the netcode alone, too.

I find it weird that I'm in Korea (also with insanely fast net speeds) and I get terrible lag... at least in the 5-6 games I've played so far. And, that was after waiting and hunting for games at about 10-15 minutes a piece.

Riposte

Okay I was host (started the room) and there were moments in this Deathmatch game where I had no idea what the hell was going on. My attacks weren't hitting, players were teleporting slightly, and ineffectual shield breaks going on. What is up with this netcode?

Sometimes it is alright. I just don't understand what causes it to be completely crap.

Eusis

Yeah, the netcode caused me to give up. If there were less issues I'd be more inclined to seriously get into multiplayer and stay, but as is screw it, Ni No Kuni's out this week.

Riposte

Yeah, the netcode caused me to give up. If there were less issues I'd be more inclined to seriously get into multiplayer and stay, but as is screw it, Ni No Kuni's out this week.

But it is really good when it is good.

This game needs a patch, but I imagine in the eyes of PG/Sega it was dead a month after the Japanese release. Twisted Metal all over again.

EDIT: If I come out of this thinking the campaign is the best part I wouldn't be surprised. It is one thing to poorly implement online multiplayer, it is another to commit every mistake in the book concerning it. You need to grind a lot (including completing campaigns) for there to be a level playing field. I expected better from Platinum.

WhyMe6

This finally arrived in the mail. Really enjoying the campaign, but I can't get a match online at all :(

Fortunately, they've got the sense to include an offline mode versus bots, which is an absolute blast!

Eusis

It's part of why I said before that I imagine this would make an amazing LAN game. Plus you'd have everyone in closer proximity akin to traditional split screen. It really is a lot of fun, but when you're having lag wreck things then it just feels like flailing around hoping you did OK.

This game needs a patch, but I imagine in the eyes of PG/Sega it was dead a month after the Japanese release. Twisted Metal all over again.

EDIT: If I come out of this thinking the campaign is the best part I wouldn't be surprised. It is one thing to poorly implement online multiplayer, it is another to commit every mistake in the book concerning it. You need to grind a lot (including completing campaigns) for there to be a level playing field. I expected better from Platinum.

Is Twisted Metal actually dead online? I thought I heard it still had a core audience still playing online. I was kind of interested in trying that out sometime too.

BioHazard

the campaign left me suprisingly satisfied while the multiplayer left me super salty
I got what a needed out of the game
and at 30 bucks
i mean
GOTTAMn
Blacker Baron for Character of the year tho

Same exact feelings here. Loved the campaign, but MP, as I expected, just pisses me off with the lag and everyone being a level 50 one shotting me every time. I hope to try out some of the modes everyone else is raving about

Same exact feelings here. Loved the campaign, but MP, as I expected, just pisses me off with the lag and everyone being a level 50 one shotting me every time. I hope to try out some of the modes everyone else is raving about

Yep, to be perfectly honest, while I was keen on giving it a real go on GAF, very quickly realised that Anarchy Reigns is a reminder why I don't enjoy online multiplayer games.

So all I've done is switch offline and have fun with the parts that do interest me, single player campaign and offline modes with bots. However its all good as I went in eyes wide open, knowing this would likely happen in advance, besides it was only £15.

Uppercutting flying drones, throwing pyro killseekers into a crowd, piledriving helicopters into berserker mutants, rampaging the Kraken, this is what the game is all about! But to requote a post I made in the recent Platinum Games Dream Project thread:

It is mind boggling that we even have to suggest a Shinobi game, as its a high concept that sells itself and the best chance of a sure fire hit for both companies. To this day I'm surprised it wasn't the very first thing discussed and agreed upon between SEGA and Platinum Games.

Apart from Shinobi, my wish is the same as it has been since its debut title Madworld, namely Madworld HD in 1080p, 60 fps with more levels, bosses and replay value.

Madworld is a game that has so much potential, so any chance, even a minor House of the Dead: Overkill update would be welcome but ideally a major overhaul with a greatly expanded moveset, deeper GTA 1 points progression system that rewards experimentation with even more variety and creativity in the environmental kills.

Even now if the team wasn't the same (believe some have left for Tango) would still like to see it happen and when you consider Bayonetta 2 on Wii U there is still a chance were SEGA, Platinum Games and Nintendo to strike a deal.

You're probably just lucky enough to get into matches near you. I have a pretty decent connection but still encounter 1-2bar players all the time. I assume they're from another region just trying to get a match but when they're lagging hard they're pretty much invincible.

Online will be all but dead in a few weeks i'm guessing.

Riposte

Right now I'm having a little trouble opening up people who play on the defensive and don't use spam 360 attacks and are really good at teching throws. There doesn't seem to be equivalent to "lows". It seems I have over-extend myself and can backfire pretty quickly.

Exr

I can't deal with the wombo combos and netcode when it comes to most online modes. Mad survival, however, is now my go to mode and I'm absolutely loving it.

Riposte

I like Deathmatch(4 FFA), Tag Deathmatch (2v2), and 3-way Capture the Flag(2v2v2). Cage Match too, but I haven't done it enough to really say how good this game is in 1v1. Some of the other modes are hit and miss. Team Deathmatch just sucks. Survival and Mad Survival are pretty cool, but I wish the game knew better not put me in those rooms when I'm clearly looking for a PvP experience.

Btw, is there anyway to avoid Durga's charged triangle killer weapon (the shotgun-like blast) if you get knocked into the lava on foundry and try to jump out? I like to abuse the shit out of that.

Right now I'm having a little trouble opening up people who play on the defensive and don't use spam 360 attacks and are really good at teching throws. There doesn't seem to be equivalent to "lows". It seems I have over-extend myself and can backfire pretty quickly.

Just don't engage if they aren't willing to put up offense, you're losing time and a good player can play perfect defense 90% of the time. If someone lets me land an H with Leo, I will kill them with [H, L, jH, jKWL]x3 with a jKWH on the last rep, but even that's not really worth looking for unless they have a lot of points for you to hijack.

Look for crowds and charge a KWH and wait for someone to fall into red health before hitting them. If items drop go grab one because they're usually really good, and if you see a tire/bike/ice tank/spear grab it and find someone to hit with it.

Basically, don't play this like a fighting game. Even if you have a read on someone there's no way to capitalize on it.

However, I have to stress that defense is so overwhelmingly strong probably on purpose. This game would be 100x more frustrating if you could die from easy offense, just by the volume of things going on, and outside of Cage Matches I don't expect that adding better throws or more guard breaks in the game could actually make it more interesting.

MG310

Not sure what happened but I just finished the game but Stage 4 isn't unlocked for White Side under stage select..

I went..

Black Side
Stages 1-4
Automatic swap to White Side
Stages 1-4
Red Side (Black version)

but it's not letting me jump into stage 4 on white side now to do 4-3 or Red Side (White version)

Roto13

Not sure what happened but I just finished the game but Stage 4 isn't unlocked for White Side under stage select..

I went..

Black Side
Stages 1-4
Stages 1-4
Red Side (Black version)

but it's not letting me jump into stage 4 on white side now to do 4-3 or Red Side (White version)

You neat to beat it again starting on the White side.

R

Retro_

Unconfirmed Member

I went..

Black Side
Stages 1-4
Stages 1-4
Red Side (Black version)

Gotta beat game starting on white side to unlock the Leo vs Max fight in stage 4 and his red side path.

Game requires 2 playthroughs minimum to complete the trophy pack and fully unlock stage select.

MG310

Got it, going through the white side on Hard now. My first few tries against Durga/Garuda didn't go too well - pretty much got juggled to death 3 times in a row without getting an attack off. Up to stage 3 now.

Am I the only person that plays cage matches a lot here? I mean I understand the appeal of of the other modes, but the utter chaos and potential lag prevents me from appreciating the characters and combat system to its fullest. I don't have that problem with cage matches as long as I have a 3 bar connection.

McBradders

NeoGAF: my new HOME
Am I the only person that plays cage matches a lot here? I mean I understand the appeal of of the other modes, but the utter chaos and potential lag prevents me from appreciating the characters and combat system to its fullest. I don't have that problem with cage matches as long as I have a 3 bar connection.

I don't care for 1 on 1's in this game. I think it shines with a group dynamic. 1v1's highlight the flaws.

Also goddamn I can't get a game in Europe for toffee tonight :/

Anarchy Reigns makes for a pretty bad standard fighting game. A wide selection of infinite combos but no safe setups to land them, and defense that's almost impregnable along with a throw break window that's like 60 frames. Plus the netcode.

1v1s are only fun when people decide to play it like a Rocky movie, no defense and just repeatedly punch each other in the head til someone quits, but if anyone decides that they want to win it's going to turn into SFxT.

Semblance

shhh Graham I'm still compiling this Radiant map
Been slacking on this lately, but finally wrapped up the campaign tonight (on hard). Pretty cool stuff, although I still think Durga + Garuga was the hardest bit in the game. Final boss wasn't on par with that. On a side note, the action cutscenes in the red side were surprisingly very well done.

Time to get iced in MP again. You guys still play much? Thread is dying down already.

R

Retro_

Unconfirmed Member
Classes started up so I've been busy

will probably get on at some point tomorrow

Cronox

Banned
Ok finally started doing some online matches and I'm left confused. In a cage match I went a few matches against a Leo player, and he was able to stun me with what looked like the standard x->y two hit combo, and also stun me as he was getting up. In none of these cases did the usual 360 attack animation play, and it should take more than 1-2 hits to break guard/stun me. What's the deal? Are there certain attacks that do this? I never encountered this in the single player.

Still don't know what the Baron's hold-Y move does, besides let me dodge one attack for free.

Riposte

Defense in this game is so stupid. I hope PG never makes a fighting game lol. In a Deathmatch someone managed to stand in the middle of the arena and block (and dodge) the whole match while looking out to steal kills. I don't get how I couldn't break his block after hitting him so many times.

Defense in this game is so stupid. I hope PG never makes a fighting game lol. In a Deathmatch someone managed to stand in the middle of the arena and block (and dodge) the whole match while looking out to steal kills. I don't get how I couldn't break his block after hitting him so many times.

grab?

Riposte

Grabs are very easy to tech if you know someone wants to grab you. The tech window is huge. They also give advantage to the breaker (WHY WOULD YOU DO THIS? LOL).

Another thing: This game will actually spawn you like 3 seconds before the microwave array goes off. That's just silly.

Riposte

Just got the game. Getting into a match is kind of a mess. Also I am getting annihilated!

Here are some tips:

-Don't spam 360 attacks and try to bait it out of an opponent. Doing a few swings of light attacks and being ready to guard is the best way to go about that. On the other hand if you see your opponent committing to killer weapon attacks then is a good time to use.

-Don't just block, evade. Also realize that evades are countered by grabs, so be ready to tech if you see the beginning of the throw cinematic.

-Learn a bread and butter combo for your character. Usually what you want to do is a get a few swings on them and eat it killer weapon. This is pretty important because you will want to make the most out of your stuns, missed 360 attacks, tires, and so on. e.g. What I do with Durga is heavy (launcher), jump heavy, 2x air light, 2x air light killer weapon. That does as much or more than four killer weapon hits and I have 2 bars left to go.

-I suggest just avoiding Team Deathmatch. 9 times out of 10 it is going to be a landslide.

Riposte

Sorry, didn't see the offer.

Durga on Hard is pretty fun (/frustrating) if you try to beat him without losing a life.

Pie and Beans

Look for me on the local news, I'll be the guy arrested for trying to burn down a Nintendo exec's house.
I had high hopes my initial concerns over this game would be washed away in online when I actually had more fun than I thought in the demo.

Theyve all come home to roost now post launch, and its just clear bandwidth and the game design just wasnt ready for a 3d versus brawler with combos like this. Just way too much fucking whiffing and throw animations kicking in when you'd already retreated on your screen but getting caught due to lag.

I'd rather they made a series of small little cheap brawler XBLA/PSN games with the best characters in this (Baron+Mathilda, Leo+Sasha, Big Bull+Garuda) than the pretty bizarre single player campaign.

This team at Platinum is just not matching their counterparts putting out stuff like Bayonetta, Rising, and Wonderful 101. I can only assume many of the bad people responsible for Madworld were on this too, but they did achieve better than that disasterpiece this time around. The definition of a B-team.

Vercimber

I had high hopes my initial concerns over this game would be washed away in online when I actually had more fun than I thought in the demo.

Theyve all come home to roost now post launch, and its just clear bandwidth and the game design just wasnt ready for a 3d versus brawler with combos like this. Just way too much fucking whiffing and throw animations kicking in when you'd already retreated on your screen but getting caught due to lag.

I'd rather they made a series of small little cheap brawler XBLA/PSN games with the best characters in this (Baron+Mathilda, Leo+Sasha, Big Bull+Garuda) than the pretty bizarre single player campaign.

This team at Platinum is just not matching their counterparts putting out stuff like Bayonetta, Rising, and Wonderful 101. I can only assume many of the bad people responsible for Madworld were on this too, but they did achieve better than that disasterpiece this time around. The definition of a B-team.

I respectfully disagree. While the game lacks the polish of many other Platinum releases, and while I concede that the netcode isn't the best, this game is the most fun I've had in a long time, particularly in long stretches of private survival matches, hard campaign (legitimately hard), and a few Battle Royales here and there. Each character is rich enough to warrant his/her own game. I call it an A game, no doubt--just idiosyncratic. Also, MadWorld was awesome. But, opinions, etc.

Top Bottom