• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Android 5.0 Lollipop announced

Sch1sm

noooooooooooooo
really?
thats going to drive me fucking crazy

anyone running 5.0 on a moto x? did motorola put this function back into their version of 5.0?

Really. Best you can do is head into downtime or just go into the "none" notification style to avoid it.

Yaboosh

Super Sleuth
Screwing around with the super early CM12 on my OPO that basically currently lacks all CM12 customizations, I am becoming more and more convinced that stock Android kind of blows. The customization options are so terrible.

scently

I was to sideload the OTA update to my n7 but my bootloader is locked. Can I unlock my bootloader without wiping all my data?

RoadHazard

Gold Member
This no disturbances mode is a little weird. I thought it would completely block all notifications? But it doesn't. I still get them, they just don't cause any sound or vibration. So it seems like it actually does work like silent mode did in the past.

Is it normal that I don't have 5.0 on my Nexus 5 yet ?

I live in Belgium

Yeah, there's no way of knowing when you'll get the update. Google always does staged rollouts, starting with just 1% of all phones. You might get it tomorrow or a week from now. Or you can perform the update yourself, it's not that difficult.

Saro

I have a moto G (2014) with 5.0 and chrome crashes every time I open a new tab, it hangs when I press the home button, then my apps a widgets are missing on the home screen for a second then reappear. Oh and sometimes when I open a tab my phone gets a black screen. It is also very laggy and it isn't as smooth as before:( is this a ram limitation problem or is there some fix for my problems?

RoadHazard

Gold Member
Do you guys know there is no silent mode on lollipop unless I'm thick!

No disturbances mode seems to work much like silent mode. I thought you wouldn't get any notifications at all in that mode, but I do still get them (they show up on the lock screen, at least). They just don't cause any sound or vibration.

Ahasverus

I have a moto G (2014) with 5.0 and chrome crashes every time I open a new tab, it hangs when I press the home button, then my apps a widgets are missing on the home screen for a second then reappear. Oh and sometimes when I open a tab my phone gets a black screen. It is also very laggy and it isn't as smooth as before:( is this a ram limitation problem or is there some fix for my problems?
Do a factory reset. That shouldn't happen! Lolipop should run better than KK, not worse.

Mindwipe

I really hope Google have a rethink of both the volume and the notification priority systems very quickly.

They're both far too complex and user unfriendly as it is.

Argyle

Is there a way to load this without wiping your phone? Stuff online seems confusing whether you do or not.

The OTA, sure (if you're on stock 4.4). With the factory image you should wipe. You can avoid that by editing the flashing script a little, but it's not recommended.

Assuming you have zero cloud backups (i.e: photos, videos etc.) the only thing you'll lose is call logs and text messages.

Lollipop will ask you to restore from a previous device, if you already have one. So it'll restore almost everything pretty much automatically. Aside from things such as app settings.

Holy crap, so much misinformation. No, flashing the factory image without wiping is fine, as long as you were stock and were going to get the OTA anyway. I've been doing this for years and on multiple devices, and it's always been fine.

Just to confirm though, Zaraki, are you running stock? (Basically, were you eligible for the OTA anyway?) If so, you can use the factory image, just modify the script to avoid the wipe. Yes, it is safe. If this screws up your phone the OTA would have screwed up your phone.

If you wipe from a factory image you will lose just about all your app data that is not Google. Sure, it'll remember where your icons are but you're going to be setting up stuff like non Google email accounts and logins, just about all non-Google app data, high res pictures and videos if you don't back them up to the cloud, etc. Someday 3rd party app devs will be using Google's app data backup API but until that happens wiping your phone isn't so seamless. Also, I'm pretty sure a "wipe phone" as in "factory data reset" from the phone menu is different from a "wipe" from flashing the factory image, the former I think may not delete the media directory but the latter actually reformats every partition on the phone, EVERYTHING is guaranteed to be gone after flashing a factory image without modifying the script.

Here you go Zaraki, instructions here, pay attention to step 3:
http://www.androidpolice.com/2013/1...riants-of-nexus-7-2012-and-2013-and-nexus-10/

Alternately, you can sideload the OTA if people have found the zip file for it.
Instructions: http://www.androidpolice.com/2012/1...e-nexus-7-now-manual-download-link-available/
Lollipop OTA zips: http://www.androidpolice.com/2014/11/13/flash-all-the-things-lollipop-ota-update-zip-file-roundup/

So it does this even with the OTA? If I got the update pushed from google would it also delete that?

No, the OTA does not wipe your device. Flashing the factory image without wiping is basically the same thing as applying the OTA. Sideloading the OTA is, well, applying the OTA.

M.Bluth

OK, I'm annoyed by the change in activating silent mode. But I assume putting the phone on no interruptions works the same?

Sch1sm

yeah but then it turns off alarms if you have any. makes no sense

And the hour intervals are a bit weird if you don't opt for the indefinitely route. 1 hour, 2 hours, 3 hours, 4 hours, 8 hours. Sometimes that dips into the time of my alarm so I'm forced to adjust DnD time.

Still waiting for OTA N7 2013. And no, I don't want to root or sideload or whatever you youngins do to make these things work. I'll just wait impatiently for the damn OTA system update.

M.Bluth

yeah but then it turns off alarms if you have any. makes no sense

And the hour intervals are a bit weird if you don't opt for the indefinitely route. 1 hour, 2 hours, 3 hours, 4 hours, 8 hours. Sometimes that dips into the time of my alarm so I'm forced to adjust DnD time.
Typical inexplicable decision by Google :/

Dear God my battery is awful on lollipop. On almost a full charge I think I have gotten about 6 or 8 hours.

Wtf
I think it's supposed to improve with time after it learns your usage pattern or something like that.

JBuccCP

Is anyone else having problems with the notification pop-down thingys? Mine never go away unless I dismiss them and that's all I can do. Tapping them does nothing and while they're there I can't pull down the notification shade.

edit: And it randomly fixed itself. IDK.

Guys I just updated my nexus 5 to Lollipop over USB because my WiFi doesn't work. Now whenever the screen turns off the phone reboots itself... any help?

Sch1sm

Flashed it on my OPO, love it. How the hell do you open new tabs in Chrome though?

Three dots in the upper right corner, buddy.
EDIT: If you opened it, hit the button you usually do for recent apps and the tab will be there, but really it should open right away. You can change that in settings, though, do not merge tabs and recent apps.

nawwafh

Guys how do i put my phone on silent like i used to with the previous Android using the volume rocker..
i dont want it to be on "none" notifications.. since i still want to get notifications but i dont want the phone to vibrate..

Veins

Unconfirmed Member
Download silent mode widget and toggle through the options. The last one seems to put me in priority mode with no vibration.

Saro

Do a factory reset. That shouldn't happen! Lolipop should run better than KK, not worse.

Won't I lose all my apps and data?
Can I backup everything by just copying everything to my PC?

Edit:

I really don't want to lose my app data or text messages so how would I back this up?

onken

Guess I'll be waiting a million years for this to hit my XZ2 officially. Sigh. Oh well, KK is still very nice.

DrFurbs

OK my phone is now reporting that I can average 23 hours before it needs a charge. In fairness I had to greenify a bunch of apps.

Still this is 8 hours more than what I used to get on KitKat and even then I had to par back some things.

I hope this improved further as its reported that lollipops gets more efficient over time.

Edit.

Just read that rooting lollipop is sort of pointless since the way it's developed. More here

http://bgr.com/2014/11/14/android-5-0-lollipop-updates-and-root/

Flashed my nexus 7 (2012) and really liking lollipop, everything is consistent and there are some good new feature.

Problem is I don't think the OG nexus 7 can quite handle this as I've experienced lots of stutter, delays in apps opening and slowdown

Oh well I'll be getting a Nvidia Shield tablet by Xmas so at least it gives me a chance to get familiar with lollipop.

3phemeral

Flashed my nexus 7 (2012) and really liking lollipop, everything is consistent and there are some good new feature.

Problem is I don't think the OG nexus 7 can quite handle this as I've experienced lots of stutter, delays in apps opening and slowdown

Oh well I'll be getting a Nvidia Shield tablet by Xmas so at least it gives me a chance to get familiar with lollipop.
I would love to hear updates about longterm performance. I'm waiting for when my mom gets an OTA for her 2012 N7 and ArsT's review of their unity w/ Lollipop left me with little confidence.

I would love to hear updates about longterm performance. I'm waiting for when my mom gets an OTA for her 2012 N7 and ArsT's review of their unity w/ Lollipop left me with little confidence.

Some of my apps don't work which I'm guessing is coz they are not optimised for 5.0 yet. When I open 2 or more apps everything goes slow, for example if I open up my Sonos app to play music then open up chrome it gets slow and more tabs I open the worse it gets.

I might remove Flipboard coz damn that gets bad at times

I'm hoping Google do an update to improve performance unless I'm just unlucky and lollipop performs better on other people's OG nexus 7

3phemeral

Some of my apps don't work which I'm guessing is coz they are not optimised for 5.0 yet. When I open 2 or more apps everything goes slow, for example if I open up my Sonos app to play music then open up chrome it gets slow and more tabs I open the worse it gets.

I might remove Flipboard coz damn that gets bad at times

I'm hoping Google do an update to improve performance unless I'm just unlucky and lollipop performs better on other people's OG nexus 7
I might have to tell her to hold off then until more people give the go ahead.

No disturbances mode seems to work much like silent mode. I thought you wouldn't get any notifications at all in that mode, but I do still get them (they show up on the lock screen, at least). They just don't cause any sound or vibration.

I'll continue using Silence then which basically works like Do Not Disturb on iPhone.

Top Bottom