• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Android 5.0 Lollipop announced

I definitely hope Google tweaks the volume settings in the next update.

I like priority mode and things like that, and it seems to work fine, but it's kind of confusing and clunky.

And I also miss having the silent and vibrate toggles when long pressing the power button. A lot.

mattp

I'm hoping Google do an update to improve performance unless I'm just unlucky and lollipop performs better on other people's OG nexus 7

honestly, i dont even know how you're using that thing at all
my og n7 is fucking unusable, now. i've never owned something that started out SO great and deteriorated into total garbage so quickly

Zeppu

I don't understand what issue people are having with volume/silent. The only stupid thing is that None disables Alarm volume but everything else works exactly as expected. Set up what's allowed to make a noise in priority mode and just switch. Done, silenced.

mattp

I don't understand what issue people are having with volume/silent. The only stupid thing is that None disables Alarm volume but everything else works exactly as expected. Set up what's allowed to make a noise in priority mode and just switch. Done, silenced.

you really dont see how that is much more of a hassle?
if i need to quickly silent my phone, i want to just press down volume until it goes silent and disables vibrate

i dont want to have to plan ahead by setting up some goofy priority mode thing

Zeppu

you really dont see how that is much more of a hassle?
if i need to quickly silent my phone, i want to just press down volume until it goes silent and disables vibrate

i dont want to have to plan ahead by setting up some goofy priority mode thing
Vol down, None, done. Not really back breaking work.

What planning ahead? Don't you set up a new phone? There are like 3 options for priority setting, the defaults are sensible already, so you don't even need to do anything. By default only events and reminders make noise when in priority mode.

mattp

i'm not running 5.0 yet
i thought the issue was hitting volume down no longer disables vibrate?
thats the issue i'm talking about here(maybe out of ignorance, it seems)

edit: from my understanding, none means NO notifications except ones i specifically flag as allowed during "none" mode. i still want them, i just want them silenced and no vibrate

Zeppu

i'm not running 5.0 yet
i thought the issue was hitting volume down no longer disables vibrate?
thats the issue i'm talking about here(maybe out of ignorance, it seems)

edit: from my understanding, none means NO notifications except ones i specifically flag as allowed during "none" mode. i still want them, i just want them silenced and no vibrate

None/Priority doesnt affect notifications at all. It only affects notification sound. None means nothing makes a sound. Priority means only things which you've configures make a sound. Options are Events and Messages. You can also choose whether only messages or calls from starred contacts make a noise. Again this affects only the volume, not the notifications themselves.

DrFurbs

Priority notications are actually pretty neat. Assign a bunch of contract a star (in contacts) and priority notification will only allow notify you of their contact. Plus you can specify it mostly at weekends which is useful if you want down time. So your phone can be silent but still get messages from people you contact regularly.

None/Priority doesnt affect notifications at all. It only affects notification sound. None means nothing makes a sound. Priority means only things which you've configures make a sound. Options are Events and Messages. You can also choose whether only messages or calls from starred contacts make a noise. Again this affects only the volume, not the notifications themselves.

Wait wait wait. So I could have priority on, and it'd like my phone being on silent for everything except super important stuff, eg phone calls?

That's something I'd love. Not that it makes up for fucking up the existing silent mode if that's actually happened.

Wait wait wait. So I could have priority on, and it'd like my phone being on silent for everything except super important stuff, eg phone calls?

That's something I'd love. Not that it makes up for fucking up the existing silent mode if that's actually happened.

By default, priority is silent bar alarms and events and reminders, but can be modified to allow calls, specific contact calls etc.

"None" literally blocks everything, no sound or vibrations, not even lights I think.

RoadHazard

Gold Member

Yeah, and you can also set each app as prioritized or not, so you can for instance still get Gmail notifications but nothing else.

The only thing "wrong" with the new no interruptions mode is that it also blocks alarms. I don't know why you would ever not want to hear an alarm you have set. Other than that it basically is silent mode.

Sch1sm

By default, priority is silent bar alarms and events and reminders, but can be modified to allow calls, specific contact calls etc.

"None" literally blocks everything, no sound or vibrations, not even lights I think.

I'm assuming priority does the same except for the starred exceptions and what you let through (like if you allow calls/messages from those people or not, etc)?

That Priority mode sounds like a dream for me then. Don't know why you'd want to block alarms with None, but hey, there we go, if you like...

Sch1sm

That Priority mode sounds like a dream for me then. Don't know why you'd want to block alarms with None, but hey, there we go, if you like...

I go for none when I'm heading to bed and work around that by changing my downtime to about 5 minutes before when my alarm is set to go off.

belvedere

Junior Butler
Three dots in the upper right corner, buddy.
EDIT: If you opened it, hit the button you usually do for recent apps and the tab will be there, but really it should open right away. You can change that in settings, though, do not merge tabs and recent apps.

So yeah, that's the problem haha. Other than the address bar at the top, there are zero option buttons.

RoadHazard

Gold Member
So yeah, that's the problem haha. Other than the address bar at the top, there are zero option buttons.

Really, you don't have this?

8vp0f.jpg

That's weird. It's like Chrome thinks your phone has a menu key, which I believe removes the in-app menu button (if it's actually still like that, haven't used a phone with a menu key in a long time).

pestul

My N7 2013 hasn't randomly rebooted yet since flashing the LP image. It was doing so with all other previous versions since launch... I knew I should have tried a factory image reflash sooner..

M.Bluth

So basically they didn't remove anything, just add more customisation?

After messing about a little, I now actually prefer 5.0's way. There's a note in options that says alarms are considered priority notifications, so if you put it in priority mode they should come through.

However, I think it is actually confusing the way it is presented. People need to test it for themselves to figure out their best setting.

Top Bottom