• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Android 5.0 Lollipop announced

Swig_

I have a Nexus 5, before the update, I could hold down the lock button and it would allow me to change between Sound, Vibrate Only and Silent. This is gone now and there's only a Power Off button in it's place. Is there a way to get that back or an easier way to do what I could do quickly before? Now I'm having to go into settings and move sliders, which is really unreasonable.

Nevermind, volume button now. I'll have to figure out what this Priority nonsense is, though.

gcubed

So I noticed on my wife's Nexus 5 running Lollipop that there is a "Voicemail" tab under the Call History section of the new phone app. It doesn't show any of her voicemails, though.

I have seen NO mention of this anywhere online, ever. What is this supposed to be? Are they planning on eventually flipping the switch on baked-in visual voicemail for the phone app and entering the 21st century?

get a google voice number, activate it as voicemail in hangouts. Done.

The integrated voicemail has been there since 4.2 i believe, maybe even earlier.

belvedere

Junior Butler
Could have sworn the option to disable vibration when using the onscreen buttons was an obvious setting but I can't find it.

Tik-Tok

Ooof. I want 5.0 stock on my S5. I went from a Galaxy Nexus to this phone and I hate all the Samsung bullshit. I don't think I make use of ANY of it.

ScOULaris

Just got it on my Nexus 7. Is there a reason why the 5 has transparent top and bottom bars while the 7 doesn't?

It does. It's probably your choice of launcher that is to blame. Just wait for an update to your launcher that is fully compatible with Lollipop.

CPCunha

Just got it on my Nexus 5 (brazil by the way) and i really love all the visual touches... but coming from the Nova Launcher, icons seems GIGANTIC... any way to customize icons without changing the launcher?

Got it installed in my N4 half an hour ago. So smooth and sexy.

I'm not sure why Google still has the generic email and messaging app available but not the generic gallery app but I just found out you can hide system apps so win-win for me I guess. Also I saved some precious space by removing the hindi and korean keyboard apps google mysteriously pushes too.

Ok, two things I hated already:
1- The gallery app.
2- Cant find screen rotation option.

Nexus 5 here, btw.

swipe the top screen.

Kssio_Aug

1. Where is this gallery app?
2. Slide the notification bar down twice to find the rotation option.

When I slide it down twice, it gives me flashlight, airplane, gps and that "share screen" option (or whatever is called it in english). No screen rotation here.

About the gallery app, it seems the standard now is only that one that pratically forces google plus down my throat, and that they dont have anymore that more simole gallery app that we had in KitKat.

Trouble

Banned
Wow this performs like dogshit on my Nexus 10. :(

It wasn't exactly speedy before, but everything just lags badly now.

Edit: I think it's specifically input lag. I can stream video and such without any problems.

I take this back. Must have still been performing background stuff. Performance and responsiveness seem on par with 4.4.4 after about 30 minutes of being up.

When I slide it down twice, it gives me flashlight, airplane, gps and that "share screen" option (or whatever is called it in english). No screen rotation here.

About the gallery app, it seems the standard now is only that one that pratically forces google plus down my throat, and that they dont have anymore that more simole gallery app that we had in KitKat.

It's right there.

X9sJjyi.jpg

gcubed

I mean, the sensible option would be customizable quick toggles, but Google gonna Google.

we can even go so far as to say that the only option being toggle was a terrible step back as well. I should be able to turn on/off then long press and go directly to teh settings page for that toggle.

BTW, i have screen rotation on my N5 quick toggle

DrSlek

Got the OTA on my Nexus 5 this morning. Gallery app is gone and replaced by Photos...thank Christ! I'm also really liking that by default each tab in Chrome appears as a seperate process, so the task button will display each open tab along with all open apps that can be closed.

And I can finally get rid of my flashlight app

Edit: I've found one thing I don't like so far. Previously when viewing all open apps I would close what I needed and then tap anywhere outside of the open applications to take me back to the home screen. I can't do that now. Tapping outside of the available apps does nothing.

M.Bluth

Here! No screen rotation there... and neither at screen options in configurations. =/

It's under accessibility options for some reason.
And when I played around, I clicked the color inversion option, and now there's a damned irremovable invert color toggle option
LLShC.gif

slabrock

Banned
I just got the ota for my nexus 4. I'm still waiting on the ota for the nexus 7. Wonder if the video issue is slowing down the 7 rollout?

Wreav

Banned
Could someone post a screen of what the new PIN lock looks like? I assume having any sort of lock on your lock screen breaks the new notifications, right?

Sch1sm

Could someone post a screen of what the new PIN lock looks like? I assume having any sort of lock on your lock screen breaks the new notifications, right?

Doesn't break it. They appear just fine, you have the option of making the content available right at the lock screen (and you can set sensitivity from there if you have a pin/pattern lock) or just straight global sensitivity.

M.Bluth

Um, has anyone experienced Error 927 while trying to download apps from the Play store?
It just showed up for me minutes ago, and nothing I tried is fixing it.

Omzz

now that i've updated to lollipop just had a question about factory reset.

If i were to do that, would it knock me back to 4.3 (or one of the older versions) and install lollipop again, or would it just stay with lollipop?

ScOULaris

now that i've updated to lollipop just had a question about factory reset.

If i were to do that, would it knock me back to 4.3 (or one of the older versions) and install lollipop again, or would it just stay with lollipop?
It would reset to a clean install of Lollipop.

Soodanim

I'm updated and running on my nexus 4! As with kit kat, the installation itself was problematic. I thought I'd caused a bootloop at one point, because after it took forever with a filled "Installing system updates" progress bar I forced resets and even went into the recovery menu a couple times. Eventually it finished that itself and started booting, but took forever on the fancy 4 colours animation. After a reset that eventually finished too, and 158 app updates later I was in.

So far I've experienced a lot of lagging, and trying to add a widget to the Google launcher home screen resulted in Google Search crashing, but that has gotten less and less as time goes on.

Actually using it, my biggest fear, which was about vibrate/silent, was a result of misinformation. I'm perfectly happy with vibrate being a volume and silent being a setting of its own because of the additional time you can set it for. And priority is a fantastic feature that I've been fons of never since I noticed it in a friend's iPhone and I have missed not having just this past week.

I've uninstalled TeslaLED and disabled Power Toggles and Tasker because of the additions to the OS itself, which is lovely. I like that they've made more use of the on screen keys, moving the keyboard switcher from the notifications. Nice touch. I'm a fan of Chrome tabs being mixed in with recents. That works for me. My favourite feature remains the smart unlock, if only for its novelty. And as I proof read this paragraph, I noticed the new cursor arrow. It's better than the big blue one. Perhaps none of these things are new to anyone reading this, but I'm pleased with L. If only I didn't have to press back twice to get out of toggles. A quick double press doesn't do the trick, unfortunately.

Is there any way of removing things from the toggles pulldown? I tried invert colours and now it's decided to take up residence on that screen. It's not in the way as such (although it does introduce a new line of icons) but its presence is unnecessary.

Edit:
M.Bluth - nope, a downloaded half an app before cancelling and it was fine.

Edit 2: my new night time brightness in Lux is -70%, because there's so much white everywhere in Google launcher. Blinding.

Trouble

Banned
I have an HTC One which was originally a carrier phone which I unlocked and installed the GPE ROM onto.

Two questions:
1. Will I get an OTA update?
2. If yes, is that going to work or should I wait for a packaged ROM and update manually?

I have gotten and applied several OTA updates without any issues already. It seems like an OTA update should work, but I'm a bit worried. It's been a while since I've done bootloader-y stuff.

gcubed

I have an HTC One which was originally a carrier phone which I unlocked and installed the GPE ROM onto.

Two questions:
1. Will I get an OTA update?
2. If yes, is that going to work or should I wait for a packaged ROM and update manually?

I have gotten and applied several OTA updates without any issues already. It seems like an OTA update should work, but I'm a bit worried. It's been a while since I've done bootloader-y stuff.

Yes
It should work just fine.

Ty4on

I haven't had the time to test it outdoors, but I love that automatic brightness has adjustable bias and will choose the lowest brightness in darkness. I hate having to turn the automatic brightness on and off all the time and it was impossible to see what I did in sunlight.

It was really sluggish just after the first boot, but now my Nexus 4 feels faster than on 4.4 and all my apps work so far. It is also hilarious to scroll through my 100+tabs in the app switcher.

Finally got the update tonight on my Nexus 5.

Was worried it would have screwed up my iCloud mail/calendar settings. Due to some weird bug in 5.0 I can't add them on my Nexus 9 (have two-auth enabled) but it seems if they existed pre-5.0 it still works.

Top Bottom