• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Android 5.0 Lollipop announced

Sch1sm

This would fail, because flash-all.sh isn't formatted to work on Macs unfortunately.

You would need to edit flash-all.sh first to add ./ in front of all the entries (apart from the wait one) - flash-all.sh is a text file and can be edited in textedit.

Edit the flash-all.sh file? Never once did that. Not when I flashed the dev preview, not when I flashed final L. Literally just always go into boot loader, and flash that bitch. No editing required. Never encountered any issues. Also, no walkthrough/video told me to edit anything
I looked when I first switched to Mac this August, and nope.
:c

Won't that wipe everything?

What do you have on your phone that you can't sacrifice? Zeppu offered an alternate option, sideload the OTA.

Mortemis

Banned
Got impatient, so I did an adb sideload. After a couple headaches last night, I finally got it done and its good so far. Kinda lagging but I think I may just do a factory reset like some of you said, gotta wait until after class tho.

Thanks for the links.

Vanillalite

Ask me about the GAF Notebook
So far so good on my N7. It's nothing mind blowing in the performance or battery department over KK, but I am mostly happy with the design changes.

Laekon

There are a lot of little things I really don't like about this update and some straight up bugs. For bugs it's that GMail doesn't seem to be working with other email accounts. I have a hotmail account for junk stuff and deleting emails only works about 75% of the time. This was never an issue with the old mail app.

Some things I don't like are having to slide to unlock before swiping a pattern. In 4.4 it was just swipe the pattern so why is there an extra step? The default material light keyboard is F'ing ugly. The removal of silence and vibrate from the power button is just change for the sake of it. It might make more sense but users were already use to it. I could go on but I guess I just hate when companies go for trendy design over usability. UI animations don't make a smart phone better.

Spaulding

Got impatient, so I did an adb sideload. After a couple headaches last night, I finally got it done and its good so far. Kinda lagging but I think I may just do a factory reset like some of you said, gotta wait until after class tho.

Thanks for the links.

Before you do that, try wiping the cache partition first.

I don't have any issues with my N5, but I also flashed the factory image. My N7 (2012) was lagging though. After wiping the cache, it runs fine as well.

Hold on. I thought the 2012 Nexus 7 wasn't getting the OTA update?

Said who?

Here you can find the official OTA-files for almost any Nexus device:

http://www.androidcentral.com/update-your-nexus-lollipop-using-ota-packages

Flynn77

Anyone in the UK received the Nexus 4 OTA yet? Nothing here :( Also reading that people are getting into a mess sideloading there 4's(people on reddit reporting having to go through reset procedures during the update as it hangs?) I may just wait it out.

Nicktendo86

Hold on. I thought the 2012 Nexus 7 wasn't getting the OTA update?
Yes it is.

Really pissed off that google haven't even acknowledged the n7 2013 video playback issue. It is a pretty serious bug, sometimes google really annoy me. Them left a n4 wireless charging bug for months.

Mooreberg

is sharpening a shovel and digging a ditch
Still waiting on OTA for Nexus 5. Really strange that other phones have gotten it first. But perhaps a good thing if the WiFi issues are serious. Normally I wouldn't care, but T-Mobile has suddenly gotten lousy lately after having great coverage for the past year, so I am using WiFi more.

Really annoyed that we still don't have a new Material-ized Hangouts yet.

I like Hangouts a lot, even with its considerable issues, but it's getting pretty annoying how low of a priority it seems to be for Google. It's their primary messaging service, for chrissakes.

zruben

Banned
I got the update yesterday on N4... (I'm on Mexico)

the battery saving thingie works great. The fast charger too.

I don't like the new notification bar menu and the overall "white" look of it :(

Yes it is.

Really pissed off that google haven't even acknowledged the n7 2013 video playback issue. It is a pretty serious bug, sometimes google really annoy me. Them left a n4 wireless charging bug for months.

News to me. I'm thinking about getting a Nexus tablet, but that Nvidia one looks so sleek.

I just received my Shield today (in the UK). Going through the OS updates and automatic app installs now. Lollipop is downloading right now.

Hardware feels well made and solid. The touch response is so far away from my laggy 2012 N7, I can't believe how good it is.

Can't wait to get some films on and try out the screen and speakers.

Cromat

I just got the notification. I am always wary about doing this. What seems to be the consensus regarding performance, battery life and stability for Nexus 5 users?

Honestly I have more to lose than to gain from this update, I'm quite happy with how my phone is working.

Mrg8523-

I got Lollipop on my Nexus 4 yesterday and my battery life is terrible and the battery charging doesn't seem to work anymore. Battery was at 50% when it installed, it was down to about 10% 20 minutes later when it was done. Left it charging for a few hours and it only went back up to 20%. Left it charging overnight and it was dead when I woke up. Started charging it again when I got to work. Went from dead to 15% in an hour and then back down to 5%. Now it's dead again a few minutes later.

It's also telling me there's an update to Android but there isn't enough space for it to download even though I have 5GB of space available.

Caleb187

Did a no-wipe update with the tgz 5.0 image, things ran a bit slow and choppy. Just did a factory reset and things are looking a lot more smooth.

I got Lollipop OTA for my Nexus 4 via T-Mobile yesterday... damn it's good.

Feels like a brand new phone. I was worried about having ridiculous phone envy now that the Nexus 6 is out, now I think I can hold out till next October to get the hopefully refreshed Nexus 5.

I got Lollipop on my Nexus 4 yesterday and my battery life is terrible and the battery charging doesn't seem to work anymore. Battery was at 50% when it installed, it was down to about 10% 20 minutes later when it was done. Left it charging for a few hours and it only went back up to 20%. Left it charging overnight and it was dead when I woke up. Started charging it again when I got to work. Went from dead to 15% in an hour and then back down to 5%. Now it's dead again a few minutes later.

It's also telling me there's an update to Android but there isn't enough space for it to download even though I have 5GB of space available.

What is your battery being drained by? Look at the Battery log in the Settings?

I just got the notification. I am always wary about doing this. What seems to be the consensus regarding performance, battery life and stability for Nexus 5 users?

Honestly I have more to lose than to gain from this update, I'm quite happy with how my phone is working.
I did a fresh install using an image, but for me: -

Performance - Great. Everything is super smooth.

Battery life - To be honest, I don't think it's any better than it was before. I got a full day out of it before and I'm getting the same now.

Stability - It's been fine for me. The only issues I've had are 2 apps (Mixcloud and an old game that hadn't been updated for over a year) that are seemingly incompatible and crash as soon as they're launched. I made the devs aware in both cases and they're working on fixes.

Obviously YMMV as you're doing an OTA update, but hopefully you have the same experience as me. I'm loving the update and the 1 change I don't like is that I can no longer put my phone into silent mode (i.e. no vibration or sounds) using the volume controls, as now when the volume gets down to zero it goes into vibrate-only mode and there's no option for 100% silent.

I'm still waiting for the OTA for my Nexus 5. washington state.

I'm tempted to sideload. Can I use the instructions posted here, which are supposed to be for the Nexus 7...or is there a specific one I need to do for the Nexus 5?

belvedere

Junior Butler
Got the OTA on my Nexus 5 and my phone is now almost unusable.

Slow, choppy, laggy, just a complete disaster. I'm furious about this.

Is wiping the device an option? For me wiping the phone doesn't have the impact it used to with everything I care about being backed up to googy anyways. Probably a good time to do so anyway.

thenexus6

Smooth on my N5 for the most part, for some reason settings just crashes when I try and go into language and input settings. It's a little annoying having to swipe down twice from the top to see my quick settings.

Is wiping the device an option? For me wiping the phone doesn't have the impact it used to with everything I care about being backed up to googy anyways. Probably a good time to do so anyway.

Hmm. I'm not sure I'm going to have any other choice to be honest.

Is there a one-click option for everything yet? All SMS and MMS, settings, wallpapers, everything?

mattp

Really annoyed that we still don't have a new Material-ized Hangouts yet.

I like Hangouts a lot, even with its considerable issues, but it's getting pretty annoying how low of a priority it seems to be for Google. It's their primary messaging service, for chrissakes.

whats also weird is they still work on the stock sms app
why do they have both?

same goes for the calendar
my moto x came with google calendar, but it's an older version. if i go on the play store there is the new material version of google calendar. they're both just called calendar

kris.

Banned
So I installed it, messed around with it for a bit, and decided to wipe my phone and start with a fresh install. Phone's been stuck on "erasing" for the past 15 or so minutes. Is this normal? :/

Edit: Just kidding, it just finished. Took its sweet time, though.

Lollipop finally hit my Nexus 5. Updating was pretty painless except the long wait as it "optimised" the 200 apps on my phone. Overall impression so far are very "meh" naturally several of my preferred apps no longer work. Not sold on this all new look either, way too much white space all over the place. I had hoped they might do something better with the widgets too. Hey google I now have 20 bloody pages of widgets do something to "categorise" them so I don't have to scroll through 19 pages to get to the widget on page 20.

If I am honest I kinda miss 4.4.4 but what is done is done. I will no doubt get used to it.

Top Bottom