• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Android 5.0 Lollipop announced

Ahasverus

Is it best to do a factory reset after getting lolopop update?
It is best to do a factory reset after every android update. This one is even more critical because it changes the main runtime. I'd suggest doing it inmediately.
Won't I lose all my apps and data?
Can I backup everything by just copying everything to my PC?
Edit:
I really don't want to lose my app data or text messages so how would I back this up?
App data is precisely what you want to reset with a factory reset, as it carries old config that might break the new one. There are aps like Titanium backup to save sms and stuff to your sd or pc!

jstripes

Banned
My daughter's Nexus 4 just updated to 5.0 today, and she hates it.

She says everything is lagging, and the lock screen annoys her.

Swig_

It is best to do a factory reset after every android update. This one is even more critical because it changes the main runtime. I'd suggest doing it inmediately.

App data is precisely what you want to reset with a factory reset, as it carries old config that might break the new one. There are aps like Titanium backup to save sms and stuff to your sd or pc!

After installing 5.0, it spent some time "Optimizing" all the apps on my phone. I wonder if they've changed to to automatically make fixes.

Haint

Can't find an option in the N4 Contacts app to "Display only contacts with phone number", it's just giving me options for Starred, import dates, or those stupid labels. Pretty sure phone numbers only existed in 4.4, but seems to be missing after 5.0 update. Anyone solve this? The"All Contacts" list in the dialer is 95% email addresses with no phone number, which is nonsense. How or why Google allows this to be default behavior is mind blowing, it's like they don't even use or test their shit.

thenexus6

Day 46:

Days are getting longer, days are getting colder. Still no sign of lollipop. Going to struggle through my day with kitkat as normal and hope tomorrow brings a better day. The guiding light in the sky at night gives me hope.

Syntsui

My Nexus 5 updated yesterday. As soon as it finished the system got incredibly laggy, it was ridiculous. I simply reseted it and it became smooth as butter, awesome update.

The thing is, google now is not working at all, not even at the main screen. Anyone experiencing the same?

Edit: Another problem, I can't do a cache wipe. After boot in recovery mode and entering the screen with the dead robot, nothing happens even holdin up or down or both...

RoadHazard

Gold Member
One thing I find pretty annoying is that if you tap on the actual app icon of something in Recents, nothing happens. Anywhere else and the app opens, but the icon is a dead spot.

Jakabok

Has this been pulled for Nexus 7 2013? The 5.0 update appeared in my notifications last night. Decided to leave it until this morning due to low battery but its gone :(

vanty

My N4 updated this morning. I like basically everything except the Chrome tabs as apps but just looked in Chrome settings and found you can turn it off. It's a cool idea but you sacrifice being able to swipe between tabs and the "Closed blahblah tab Undo?" thing which I seem to use quite often.

My friend on the Nexus 4 has Lollipop as of last night. I still don't have the prompt on the Nexus 5. Google, what are you playing at?

In a cruel twist of fate my Nexus 4 now has lollipop but I can't really use it because the Digitiser on my Nexus 4 is knackered. However my brand spanking new Nexus 5 is sitting on Android 4.4. Ah well there is always tomorrow, or the next day after that, or the next day after that etc etc etc.

RoadHazard

Gold Member
In a cruel twist of fate my Nexus 4 now has lollipop but I can't really use it because the Digitiser on my Nexus 4 is knackered. However my brand spanking new Nexus 5 is sitting on Android 4.4. Ah well there is always tomorrow, or the next day after that, or the next day after that etc etc etc.

If your N5 is brand new, which I assume means you wouldn't mind wiping the user data on it, why not just flash the Lollipop factory image? It's not difficult at all, you just need a few dev tools installed on your PC.

If your N5 is brand new, which I assume means you wouldn't mind wiping the user data on it, why not just flash the Lollipop factory image? It's not difficult at all, you just need a few dev tools installed on your PC.

It's about a month or two old, so it has all my crap on it already which I don't really fancy having to redo all over again. Now couple that with the fact trying to get Googles stuff to actually recognise me damn phone on the PC (aside from it being a storage device) is enough to make me go bald with hair pulling. It just makes the whole thing not worth messing about with to get Lollipop a few days/weeks/months sooner.

It was just basically a vent at how shitty Google are with their OTA roll outs.

RoadHazard

Gold Member
It's about a month or two old, so it has all my crap on it already which I don't really fancy having to redo all over again. Now couple that with the fact trying to get Googles stuff to actually recognise me damn phone on the PC (aside from it being a storage device) is enough to make me go bald with hair pulling. It just makes the whole thing not worth messing about with to get Lollipop a few days/weeks/months sooner.

For what it's worth, I've had no trouble at all getting my PC to recognize my phone over ADB using Google's own driver (which is included with the Android SDK).

Currently posting from my OG Nexus 7 which got the update last night. Started fresh, but my N7 doesn't quite feel like the brand new device I was hoping for. I guess she's just a little long in the tooth.

Material design definitely switches things up though. Feels very different. Is Google Now gone from the home screen? Or can I activate it some how?

Mindwipe

Currently posting from my OG Nexus 7 which got the update last night. Started fresh, but my N7 doesn't quite feel like the brand new device I was hoping for. I guess she's just a little long in the tooth.

Material design definitely switches things up though. Feels very different. Is Google Now gone from the home screen? Or can I activate it some how?

Do you mean left swipe, or swipe up?

Swipe up is still there unless you have the Google Now Launcher installed, but it's not installed by default so you'll have to get it from Play if you want to swipe left from the homescreen.

Also, if you do sideload Lollipop will retrieve your device settings from your Google account, installing all your apps and placing all your apps and widgets back on the desktop. So it turns out to be really not that much work.

RoadHazard

Gold Member
Also, if you do sideload Lollipop will retrieve your device settings from your Google account, installing all your apps and placing all your apps and widgets back on the desktop. So it turns out to be really not that much work.

You lose most game saves and such unless you manually back them up though. I really wish more games would support the new Saved Games part of Play Games, but most seem to still only save locally. Don't know why, as it doesn't cost them anything (it uses the user's Drive space to store the saves).

After installing 5.0, it spent some time "Optimizing" all the apps on my phone. I wonder if they've changed to to automatically make fixes.

I updated my 2012 nexus 7 and it was so slow, then I did a factory reset and it's buttery smooth now

it went through optimising all of the apps and stuff, but it really didn't seem to help

Arjen

Tried to sideload with help of the link provided earlier by Aiii. Everything seems to go fine, just can't seem to get the proper USB drivers to work. Fuck this shit, now I remember why I'm and mechanical engineer, fucking software problems ugh.

navanman

Crown Prince of Custom Firmware
Tried to sideload with help of the link provided earlier by Aiii. Everything seems to go fine, just can't seem to get the proper USB drivers to work. Fuck this shit, now I remember why I'm and mechanical engineer, fucking software problems ugh.
I had the same problem.
Download the Koush universal ADB drivers. Worked perfectly for me on N7, N5 and N4.
http://www.koushikdutta.com/post/universal-adb-driver

Audioboxer

Probably going to be a long wait for me on my Galaxy S5 LTE-A.

I hope Samsung maybe offer a dark skin. Lollipop is practically white everywhere and that isn't going to help AMOLED screens.

Sch1sm

Probably going to be a long wait for me on my Galaxy S5 LTE-A.

I hope Samsung maybe offer a dark skin. Lollipop is practically white everywhere and that isn't going to help AMOLED screens.

Yeah. I never understood it either, considering they offer a Material Dark keyboard. Why no entirely Material Dark theme? Maybe one day.

Sch1sm

Can I flash on mac?

Yeah. Just open the terminal at the folder.

SpvDx4i.png

Code:
./fastboot device
./flash-all.sh

SimleuqiR

new-smart-lock-5.0.jpg

http://www.droid-life.com/2014/11/1...t-lock-on-lollipop-to-include-trusted-places/

We are happy to report today that Google has added a new and incredibly useful feature to Smart Lock, thanks to the latest Google Play Services 6.5 update that began rolling out yesterday. That’s right, Smart Lock just got better without a system update.

The new feature adds “trusted places” to your list of options for keeping your phone unlocked. What is a “trusted place?” This could be your work or home or significant other’s apartment or the dog park. A trusted place is a location where you would like to be able to quickly unlock your phone or tablet without needing to enter the PIN, password or pattern that you have active. Of course, the beauty in using a trusted place is that once you leave a trusted location, your phone turns security back on.

Mindwipe

Yeah. Just open the terminal at the folder.

Code:
./fastboot device
./flash-all.sh

This would fail, because flash-all.sh isn't formatted to work on Macs unfortunately.

You would need to edit flash-all.sh first to add ./ in front of all the entries (apart from the wait one) - flash-all.sh is a text file and can be edited in textedit.

tirminyl

Wait, is this improved battery life google claims 5.0 has is this battery saver mode or is it some general improvement on battery usage?

It is supposed to be overall in addition to the battery saver mode. I sideloaded the OTA install and my battery life has been crap.

Top Bottom