• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Android 5.0 Lollipop announced

ugh can i go back to kitkat?

my gosh this is confusing. not really, but i already miss kitkat.

who the hell thought accessing chrome tabs through the recent apps button was a good idea?

or making an opaque white space as the background for the applist/desktop instead of the usual dimmed wallpaper?

also, i liked having to turn off animations because it feels snappy and quick.

now it looks so freaking choppy whenever i try to swipe away and close an app.

what the hell. my nexus 5 is crying. i don't even have a lot of apps. all i have is music files.

Nicktendo86

You people missing KitKat are insane lol, lollipop is a million miles ahead. I have been bitching about bugs, and some are really unacceptable, but they will get sorted.

To the poster at the top talking about chrome tabs, you can set it back tot he old way very easily. Go into setting on a web page, there is a button to go back to the old style tabs.

Edit: my nexus 4 is as smooth as butter BTW so you may want to do a factory restore to get things smooth.

mnannola

who the hell thought accessing chrome tabs through the recent apps button was a good idea?

I think this is great. So many times I have to switch to Chrome, and then find the tab I am interested in. Why do it all in one action?

The only thing I would add would be some indication that it is a chrome tab instead of an app. That way if you just want to get back to Chrome quickly without care for what tab you are going back to, you can do so easily.

Mindwipe

Yes it is.

Really pissed off that google haven't even acknowledged the n7 2013 video playback issue. It is a pretty serious bug, sometimes google really annoy me. Them left a n4 wireless charging bug for months.

Google haven't acknowledged a major HLS video streaming bug from 4.4.4 yet and it has a great many stars on the AOSP tracker.

aasoncott

Installed it on my Nexus 5. It's smooth as butter, and after 8 hours of use I still have 73% of my battery. Everything works flawlessly.

Sucks that some people are having trouble, but I'm super happy I updated.

Soodanim

For those commenting about their device bring slow, how long have you had it installed for? My N4 with OTA (so no fresh install) was slow at first, but it is smooth now. Try giving it a little time. An hour or so of playing around plus a restart and things were great.

I don't get the complaint about the Chrome tabs. The very first thing it does is give you the option to disable it, so you could never have been given the impression that it's mandatory.

I do agree with the complaint about the amount of white the phone has now. I always liked the dark backgrounds (DarkGAF unite) pre-5, and if they wanted to ditch the dark they could have at least gone with a grey. Almost anything is easier on the eyes than white, and like I said yesterday I have to have Lux set my brightness to -70 at night, because it's just painful otherwise.

I'm pretty chuffed about smart unlock getting location. It's made something great even better.

I'm not a fan of the white either, but I use a different launcher anyway, so for me the app drawer looks like this: -

YOeBXb2.jpg

The only time I see the bright white stuff is when I go into Settings, which I almost never do once my phone is set up how I like it.

One thing I do miss is the trusted Wi-Fi feature that was rumoured to be part of 5.0. It would be nice if my phone stayed unlocked while it was connected to my home Wi-Fi. The face unlock thing works alright, but only if you're looking right at the screen in good light.

All phones need to get Touch ID really. That's when mobile payments will really take off, and it makes keeping your phone secure less of a pain in the ass.

kris.

Banned
Oh my god, I can just flick an app to the top to delete it now instead of being forced to hold it in the X. Beautiful.

Nicktendo86

Ah, cool! That should do effectively the same thing. Thanks!
Here is a link to the apk in case you want to install manually. Seems a little bit buggy at the most, my phone keeps forgetting I have it selected!
http://www.androidpolice.com/2014/1...usted-places-feature-to-lollipops-smart-lock/

Oh my god, I can just flick an app to the top to delete it now instead of being forced to hold it in the X. Beautiful.

Been able to do that since jelly bean I think.

Hmmm, it doesn't work for me. On the map that appears, it detects my location correctly and draws a circle showing the range - which is pretty wide - except when I enable the feature and lock my phone, when I unlock it it still asks for the PIN.

EDIT - I got it working. I had to manually set the location instead of choosing the regular "Home" option.

It's weird though, because when I set it manually, it detects my location as being 2 houses up from where I actually am, yet the radius that's covered is so wide that the "Home" setting should easily have worked, even if it was a couple of houses out. Oh well, at least it's working!

Noema

So have you guys with your shiny new lollipops seen reduced memory footprints for apps? Supposedly apps compiled for ART do take up less memory when running (even though the binaries are bigger since they are precompiled).

Reason I ask is my Moto G only has 1GB of RAM and multitasking is pretty much impossible on this thing. Dalvik compiled apps just use so much memory when running, thus pretty much anything I do causes even the launcher to be dumped off the memory on 4.4.4. Drives me off the wall nuts.

NotBacon

or making an opaque white space as the background for the applist/desktop instead of the usual dimmed wallpaper?

also, i liked having to turn off animations because it feels snappy and quick.

now it looks so freaking choppy whenever i try to swipe away and close an app.

what the hell. my nexus 5 is crying. i don't even have a lot of apps. all i have is music files.

image.php

Factory reset your phone or something. It should be silky smooth. And you can separate chrome tabs again with a toggle. And you can still turn off animations.

jvm

Gamasutra.
Last night I got a notice that I could update my Nexus 7 (2013) to Lollipop. I started the download and (foolishly) switched to Netflix to finish up a movie. Now it says my system is up to date, but I never got to actually update. It says it's still running 4.4.4.

Any way to get it back to trying to update?

Massa

Last night I got a notice that I could update my Nexus 7 (2013) to Lollipop. I started the download and (foolishly) switched to Netflix to finish up a movie. Now it says my system is up to date, but I never got to actually update. It says it's still running 4.4.4.

Any way to get it back to trying to update?

Download from here and sideload it following their guide. On Fedora install the android-tools package to get adb and don't forget to use 'sudo adb' instead of just 'adb'.

LiquidMetal14

hide your water-based mammals
Can anyone else explain why the default ringtone even when customized still plays another ringtone chosen by Google?

Any fixes?

LiquidMetal14

hide your water-based mammals
image.php

Factory reset your phone or something. It should be silky smooth. And you can separate chrome tabs again with a toggle. And you can still turn off animations.

People don't know that you can actually disable that and have the merged tabs in just one Google window? There's a setting in Google upon first setup and lollipop that tells you exactly how to disable that.

Sch1sm

People don't know that you can actually disable that and have the merged tabs in just one Google window? There's a setting in Google upon first setup and lollipop that tells you exactly how to disable that.

Apparently not. You know, despite us telling people that numerous times already.

jvm

Gamasutra.
Download from here and sideload it following their guide. On Fedora install the android-tools package to get adb and don't forget to use 'sudo adb' instead of just 'adb'.
Dang, Massa. Normally I'd follow your suggestion, but I'm a little tense doing it that way. I was hoping I could just reset something and have the OTA update start up again. :O

I'll think about it... :)

Mortemis

Banned
Before you do that, try wiping the cache partition first.

I don't have any issues with my N5, but I also flashed the factory image. My N7 (2012) was lagging though. After wiping the cache, it runs fine as well.

Did this and its been running smooth since. Thanks.

Fireblend

Banned
Really enjoying Lollipop on my N4. Kinda crazy how this is now 2 generations behind and still performing great. I don't think I'm upgrading anytime soon.

Edit: Huh, I see people here complaining about performance? My N4 is smooth as butter. Weird, and I have this loaded with all sorts of games/development apps/junk.

Really enjoying Lollipop on my N4. Kinda crazy how this is now 2 generations behind and still performing great. I don't think I'm upgrading anytime soon.

Edit: Huh, I see people here complaining about performance? My N4 is smooth as butter. Weird, and I have this loaded with all sorts of games/development apps/junk.

This is what I'm wondering about mine. Am I at risk of losing photos and things if I just update the standard way?

PaulloDEC

Got my OTA update for my Nexus 5 yesterday, and everything seems good so far. Performance seems fine, battery seems fine, I dig most of the changes.

Looking forward to getting my Nexus 7 onboard.

Yeah what's up with the update on the Nexus 7?

Some already have the update installed but my Nexus 7 just says it's up to date when it's still running 4.4.4; meanwhile my Nexus 5 just updated to lollipop.

Sch1sm

You guys don't backup your photos to Google+ or Dropbox?

Dropbox automatically for me. Then every few months I sort it out. I don't know how people go without backing up, but it happens more often than not. Recently saw a flyer in my building for either a lost or stole GS4. And the person said something along the lines of, "I just want the family pictures and videos, you can keep the phone."

jeopardymusic.mp3

Still waiting.

"Your system is up to date."

The fuck it is.

It'll arrive on the one day you're too busy to notice/care right away.

duderon

rollin' in the gutter
Is Lollipop running better than KitKat for anyone that's had issues on the 2012 Nexus 7? Mine runs like a sloth and I'm hoping 5.0 will make it usable again.

Is Lollipop running better than KitKat for anyone that's had issues on the 2012 Nexus 7? Mine runs like a sloth and I'm hoping 5.0 will make it usable again.

I feel like input lag was the same on my ailing 2002 N7, but that things were operating smoother? Does that even make sense?

Top Bottom