• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Android 5.0 Lollipop announced

duderon

rollin' in the gutter
I feel like input lag was the same on my ailing 2002 N7, but that things were operating smoother? Does that even make sense?

Ha, I feel your pain. It's mostly starting programs like google music for me. Takes a long time to load songs stored on the device and start playing. I'm probably going to buy a Shield tablet, but I'd like to use the N7 for a little longer.

RoadHazard

Gold Member
new-smart-lock-5.0.jpg

http://www.droid-life.com/2014/11/1...t-lock-on-lollipop-to-include-trusted-places/

Not available for me yet, but that's pretty great! Having my pattern lock deactivate at home is exactly what I want, that's what was missing to make Smart Lock useful to me. Can you still quickly manually lock the phone in a trusted location if you need to?

EDIT: Also, can you deactivate this feature remotely? If someone were to steal my phone I wouldn't want them to be able to get into it just by being near my home. Perhaps a rather unlikely scenario, but still.

Reversed

I haven't seen any updates for my Moto G, but looking at the search results, it seems that it has conflicts on certain apps. I think I'll wait a bit more.

Finally did a sideload. It was sluggish at first but an hour later of playing with it and a restart and it is buttery smooth. It feels like a new OS.

My nitpick though is how I have to swipe up to unlock instead of going straight to my pin, but I understand why they need to do that. The notification is so much better for it though.

Zophar

5.0 has broken a ton of stuff on my phone (Nexus 5). My VPN app has stopped working, it won't connect to mobile data, and Skype can't make or receive calls since the update. QQi just crashes continuously. Yesterday I left the phone alone and didn't get any of my WeChat notifications until hours after the messages were sent to me. Very frustrating and I don't know how to repair it.

edit: Updating the apps has not helped either. Sigh.

Bboy AJ

My dog was murdered by a 3.5mm audio port and I will not rest until the standard is dead
Tbh if Apple can manage simultaneous roll outs, Google should be able to.
Now that Google is once again changing their ways to match Apple with developer previews, they might.

saunderez

5.0 has broken a ton of stuff on my phone (Nexus 5). My VPN app has stopped working, it won't connect to mobile data, and Skype can't make or receive calls since the update. QQi just crashes continuously. Yesterday I left the phone alone and didn't get any of my WeChat notifications until hours after the messages were sent to me. Very frustrating and I don't know how to repair it.

edit: Updating the apps has not helped either. Sigh.

How did you install it? Apps not working could be down to compatibility but mobile data not working is a different question. Have you checked the APNs are still there?

Swig_

I have a Nexus 5 and have a maddening problem. Almost every time I unlock my phone, it brings up the "Phone" app. Sometimes this doesn't happen, but I don't know what is or isn't causing it. Anyone else have this problem?

Majine

Banned
I have a Nexus 5 and have a maddening problem. Almost every time I unlock my phone, it brings up the "Phone" app. Sometimes this doesn't happen, but I don't know what is or isn't causing it. Anyone else have this problem?

Are you swiping to the right on the lockscreen?

Roulette

Swipe up from lower centre screen.

why the hell can't we put our phone into silent mode using the volume buttons?
I'm hoping that's just a bug. On the Nexus 9, the silent mode is still there.

I've found another bug. I have a bunch of videos stored on OneDrive. I used to be able to tap on one and it would download and play with the video player that's part of the Photos app. Now I tap on one, it downloads, the video player opens and I can see the progress bar at the bottom shows the correct length of the video, but the video never plays.

RoadHazard said:
Can you still quickly manually lock the phone in a trusted location if you need to?
There doesn't appear to be a way to do that.

Omzz

been using it for a day now so just thought i'd write some thoughts

- overall very fluid. did a factory reset and it helped a lot. phone doesnt heat up like it used to (it was like this before factory reset as well) and battery is a bit better. nothing huge though. navigation is better too

- like how incoming calls show up as a little tab now at the top, not interrupting what you were doing

- in the multitasking view, i found myself tapping the screen to get out of it, but that doesn't work here. minor gripe

- RIP gallery :(

overall I'm liking it a lot. still some stuff to fix up but it's to be expected with a big update like this

Easy_D

never left the stone age
been using it for a day now so just thought i'd write some thoughts

- overall very fluid. did a factory reset and it helped a lot. phone doesnt heat up like it used to (it was like this before factory reset as well) and battery is a bit better. nothing huge though. navigation is better too

- like how incoming calls show up as a little tab now at the top, not interrupting what you were doing

- in the multitasking view, i found myself tapping the screen to get out of it, but that doesn't work here. minor gripe

- RIP gallery :(

overall I'm liking it a lot. still some stuff to fix up but it's to be expected with a big update like this

This is huge. Being seconds from saving a game and getting popped right out is kind of an issue for me personally, so this is great.

You can, push volume down once and pick either none or priority.

Why does this come up every 5 minutes?
Those options don't really work the same way though.

Silent mode = You can still hear alarms and the notification light still flashes to alert you about notifications and calls.

None = You can't hear alarms and the notification light doesn't flash at all.

Priority = The notification light only flashes for the things you allow through, but the things you allow through will also trigger a sound/vibration.

So the notification light cannot flash without the phone either vibrating and/or making a sound. With the old silent mode it could.

gcubed

Those options don't really work the same way though.

Silent mode = You can still hear alarms and the notification light still flashes to alert you about notifications and calls.

None = You can't hear alarms and the notification light doesn't flash at all.

Priority = The notification light only flashes for the things you allow through.

Yup, the notification light is the difference. From the progenitors of the notification light, I'm surprised they changed its functionality.

Zophar

How did you install it? Apps not working could be down to compatibility but mobile data not working is a different question. Have you checked the APNs are still there?

I installed it straight from the System Update I was given. Don't know what you mean b APNs.

DrFurbs

From 2.30am to 7am I lost 30% battery and the office was off.

Something isn't right.

And GSM tells me my screen is discharging 41% when off..!

saunderez

I installed it straight from the System Update I was given. Don't know what you mean b APNs.
Ok so we can cross dirty flash off the list as to why things aren't working. I've got a feeling your lack of mobile data is causing all these problems so your APNs are probably hosed.

APN stands for Access Point Names, it's how you tell a mobile device which service to connect to. You'll find it under Settings->More->Cellular Networks.

First thing I'd try is resetting them, that usually fixes a lot of problems like this. Just click the Menu button and select Reset to Defaults. If anything is screwed up there it should fix it.

If there are multiple APNs listed it won't hurt trying the ones that aren't selected either. If the list is empty you will probably have to enter yours manually, Google APN for your mobile provider to find the details.

Dizzan

MINI Member
Someone please tell me that when you have an incoming call, it gives you the option to hang up on the current call? It is absolutely ridiculous and completely laughable that this isn't possible and everyone on the android team has overlooked this.

saunderez

Someone please tell me that when you have an incoming call, it gives you the option to hang up on the current call? It is absolutely ridiculous and completely laughable that this isn't possible and everyone on the android team has overlooked this.
I think you might have to enable call waiting for this. I assume that's what the option is for anyway.

Dizzan

MINI Member
I've got that exact call waiting option in my phone dialer settings? It's literally described with "during a call, notify me of incoming calls"

I'm notified of the call but when the call comes in there is no option to hang up the ongoing call and answer the other.I can answer the incoming call but it only puts the other call on hold, it doesn't hang up.

It's really annoying when I'm listening to my voicemail and I have a call come in I need to take. My voice mails just keep playing on the other line!!!

thenexus6

Finding it a little irritating unlocking the phone. I never tend to swipe my screen straight so I keep accidentally opening the phone app instead of just unlocking the phone.

Tbh if Apple can manage simultaneous roll outs, Google should be able to.

Apple also fucked up a bunch of devices when they sent out their 8.0.1 update simultaneously a couple months ago. Have people forgotten this already?

I'm not saying Google couldn't go a bit faster, but I think it's pretty clear why they roll out updates in waves.

LiquidMetal14

hide your water-based mammals
The update has been great other than not being compatible with my Magic jack app. Smooth from step 1 via OTA.

I asked this last night but has anyone else's default ringtone been changed even when choosing a different one?

rouken

so ota just arrived on my n5, going the OTA update route will not wipe my phone right? and will it successfully install because my phone is rooted and unlocked.

Mindwipe

Apple also fucked up a bunch of devices when they sent out their 8.0.1 update simultaneously a couple months ago. Have people forgotten this already?

I'm not saying Google couldn't go a bit faster, but I think it's pretty clear why they roll out updates in waves.

In effect, I think Google's strategy would be even worse if such an update occurred on Android. Apple made a massive fuckup, but as a result of it being widely available it was noticed immediately by technical users and withdrawn quickly, and the results limited to six figures.

Google's strategy currently effectively randomly selects individuals for soak tests, even though said users may be in no way technical and might not notice critical bugs, and might have no way to report said errors ("my phone is broken, better take it in for repair to the shop on Saturday!").

It would make much more sense for updates to roll out to relatively technical, internet savvy individuals first. So you might slowly roll out the prompt to update in the same way you do now, but if someone knows enough to go and look for it, it would make a lot more sense for those people to get it first, and straight away.

Mindwipe

Holy shit... I just found something.

You CAN set if a notification is sensitive yourself or not on an app by app basis.

But you can only do it *if notification sensitivity is turned off*, and if notification sensitivity is turned on then the options to do so aren't just greyed out, they're removed from the app menu entirely so you'd never know they exist.

Holy shit Google. What the hell were you thinking there? I'm glad the feature exists, but that UI is abysmal.

JordanKZ

People complaining about the gallery app, it's gone. Probably forever. That app hadn't been updated since 4.0 anyway.

Nexus/GPE devices ship with Google Camera which integrates with G+ Photos. Which is a flippin' fantastic app for editing/cloud storage/general UI. You don't have to ever use Google+, just use the photos app to back stuff up.

Otherwise, use a third party app.

Also, on the topic of the rollout... There's already been two Nexus 9 ones because the first update was completely fucked. It was looking for a certificate from an "L" build version, that didn't exist. They had to scrap the update and issue a new one. Apparently some folk go stuck in recovery until they rebooted their devices. Staged roll outs are done on purpose, if you really want it quicker, there are two ways to deal with that.

Snowdrift

Is there any way to customize the lock screen? I'd like to make the pattern unlock always visible, except when Play is running, like in previous versions of Android. The extra step needed to unlock the device is a bit annoying considering its probably done a couple dozen times a day.

Not liking the new lock screen, but most everything else seems alright.

Mindwipe

People complaining about the gallery app, it's gone. Probably forever. That app hadn't been updated since 4.0 anyway.

Having two apps on the device was incredibly stupid. But having the photos app be closed source isn't great, and it frankly just isn't very good. The UI is terrible.

Nexus/GPE devices ship with Google Camera which integrates with G+ Photos. Which is a flippin' fantastic app for editing/cloud storage/general UI. You don't have to ever use Google+, just use the photos app to back stuff up.

To be honest, I think the events of this year suggest most people shouldn't use cloud storage for photos at all.

Otherwise, use a third party app.

That, at least, is the beauty of the platform.

Well still not the worlds biggest fan of lollipop (it is definitely all the white space crap that is bugging me). However I have to admit I love the "trusted places" feature. I have always been a bit lax when it comes to phone security. Never bothered having a pin or pattern lock on my phone due to the hassle of it when a lot of the time I am at home.

However now that I can set it so that when I am at home it is automatically set to being unlocked I am definitely keeping my phone locked via a pin number.

Deadly Cyclone

Pride of Iowa State
I have the Nexus 6, which came with Lollipop, but I don't see that trusted places thing in the settings for that stuff at all, is it still rolling out, even to Nexus 6's?

I have the Nexus 6, which came with Lollipop, but I don't see that trusted places thing in the settings for that stuff at all, is it still rolling out, even to Nexus 6's?

It's a setting under Security > Smart Lock

You can set it so you phone doesn't need a pin/password when you are at home or when your phone is close to your android watch, for example.

SimleuqiR

Google Play Services updates in the background. You won't get prompted to update it. Like every other Google update, it comes in stages. So not everyone will get it at the same time.

Deadly Cyclone

Pride of Iowa State
It's a setting under Security > Smart Lock

You can set it so you phone doesn't need a pin/password when you are at home or when your phone is close to your android watch, for example.

The only thing I have there is "Trusted Devices" and "Trusted Face."

Google Play Services updates in the background. You won't get prompted to update it. Like every other Google update, it comes in stages. So not everyone will get it at the same time.

Ah, so maybe it hasn't update yet for me.

Got the update yesterday, and I don't feel like that much has changed. Mostly noticed the downsides, being that silent mode is inexplicably gone, and that Spotify no longer puts controls on the lockscreen. Too early to say if the battery has improved.

Top Bottom