• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Android 5.0 Lollipop announced

roddur

Choices are changed in Screen lock section. Yesterday I'd Pin, Pattern and Password. Today None, Swipe are added. And to use smart lock pin, pattern or password has to be set.

NH Apache

Banned
Flashed the image yesterday on my N7 2013. Was kinda a pain to root, but only because I had to figure out how to use the auto-root by Chainfire.

Overall, very smooth. I like that when I set up my google account on the device, I can use my authenticator now for verification instead of having to make a custom password for it.

I, too, was very confused about the sound settings as described above. I understand it now, mostly, but was very surprised when a notification went off in class when I had used the volume buttons on the side to drop to zero. I feel like the old way was cleaner and the only advantage now is to essentially snooze sounds for an hour.

Drop down is nice and I haven't had any functional issues as of yet. The auto-brightness even seems to be more sensitive which leads to a potentially darker screen in low/no light environments, which is great, especially when I'm trying to read comics with the lights out at night.

I'll continue to play, but for now, I'm just enjoying the hell out my my free Guardians of the Galaxy album. Shit is awesome.

I have a few gripes with lollipop.

Silent mode, and chrome/Facebook lagging my phone into oblivion. I'm using Firefox. Which I haven't touched in like three years. Uncool Google.

dorikyasu

Wife's Nexus 7 (2012) received OTA update last night. It appeared everything went smoothly except for the crash when accessing Language and Input settings under Settings.
Turns out we had disabled Google Keyboard a while ago (was using alternate keyboard as default) and that was causing the issue. Reinstalled Google Keyboard and that fixed the crash.
Waiting for update on both of our Nexus 4's.

You can, push volume down once and pick either none or priority.

Why does this come up every 5 minutes?

you didn't read my post.

why the hell can't we use the volume button for silent mode.

did i mention anything about touching the screen?

or picking priority and none every to.e i wanna go silent mode?

RoadHazard

Gold Member
Install the APK. Remember, you have to restart the phone to get it though.

I prefer waiting for the official update right from Google, even though I know it doesn't matter. I'm a little weird that way! Especially if you consider that when it comes to Android updates I prefer flashing them myself over waiting for the OTA (although that's mostly because I like starting over with a clean slate every now and then).

Zeppu

I prefer waiting for the official update right from Google, even though I know it doesn't matter. I'm a little weird that way! Especially if you consider that when it comes to Android updates I prefer flashing them myself over waiting for the OTA (although that's mostly because I like starting over with a clean slate every now and then).

Okie, fair enough, but remember that GPS is usually updated in the background (I think) so make sure to check the version from the app settings cause you might not even notice when you get it.

RoadHazard

Gold Member
Okie, fair enough, but remember that GPS is usually updated in the background (I think) so make sure to check the version from the app settings cause you might not even notice when you get it.

Yeah, I've been doing that about every half hour or so, haha. Still on 6.1.88.

I really like google now but its such a battery hog.

So I turned it off. Now I get very good battery life. Yesterday, 14 hours off charge. 3 hours screen time. Had 10% remaining.

This is on my nexus 5 with lollipop.

Holy shit... I just found something.

You CAN set if a notification is sensitive yourself or not on an app by app basis.

But you can only do it *if notification sensitivity is turned off*, and if notification sensitivity is turned on then the options to do so aren't just greyed out, they're removed from the app menu entirely so you'd never know they exist.

Holy shit Google. What the hell were you thinking there? I'm glad the feature exists, but that UI is abysmal.

That's weird, when I turn on 'hide sensitive notification content', I can still change it on an app by app basis. So If I have that setting on when I have a lockscreen, I can still let Whatsapp messages come through with the message contents (or a few lines of it anyway).

Edit - Yep and none of the options grey out or dissappear at all.

RoadHazard

Gold Member
That's weird, when I turn on 'hide sensitive notification content', I can still change it on an app by app basis. So If I have that setting on when I have a lockscreen, I can still let Whatsapp messages come through with the message contents (or a few lines of it anyway).

Really? My experience has been that if you block sensitive content globally EVERYTHING is blocked, and there's nothing you can do about it. To block some notification content and let some through I have to allow it globally and then change it for each app I consider sensitive.

Can you post a screenshot of what you're seeing? This is my N5 with sensitive notification content hidden, then allowed:

v6uxa.jpg
zsu52.jpg

Zeppu

I don't understand why the sensitivity option is connected to the lock screen security at all tbh. I don't lock my phone but it would make sense for people not hide their messages. I trust my friends to not take away my phone and try to look through my stuff but if the phone lights up or someone looks at it and information is just sitting there it's hard to ignore.

#justgooglythings #becausereasons

Really? My experience has been that if you block sensitive content globally EVERYTHING is blocked, and there's nothing you can do about it. To block some notification content and let some through I have to allow it globally and then change it for each app I consider sensitive.

Can you post a screenshot of what you're seeing? This is my N5 with sensitive notification content allowed, then hidden:

Ah we were talking about slightly different settings. I thought he was saying that the App Notifications option underneath was missing, not the sensitive option within the individual app option, was missing.

Yeah seems like you have to select what you don't want individually, rather than having the sensitive setting on and then allowing some apps to still show.

diaspora

I really like google now but its such a battery hog.

So I turned it off. Now I get very good battery life. Yesterday, 14 hours off charge. 3 hours screen time. Had 10% remaining.

This is on my nexus 5 with lollipop.

I have it on but I don't use it at all, this is a brilliant idea.

reKon

Banned
I'm trying out battery saver mode while just browsing GAF and navigating the OS on my Nexus 7. I don't notice any severe pefromance issues that I've heard about...

Anyways, I'm seriously impressed with Android L. Once they sort out the random issues with some apps being slow to open and fix some of the performance hiccups, this OS will be nearly perfect for what I want from it. I don't know how people can still prefer the aesthetics and functionality of iOS over this. This is just so much nicer.

Mindwipe

Ah we were talking about slightly different settings. I thought he was saying that the App Notifications option underneath was missing, not the sensitive option within the individual app option, was missing.

Yeah seems like you have to select what you don't want individually, rather than having the sensitive setting on and then allowing some apps to still show.

But the point is a user would go into the settings, see the global switch, and hit that, then go and look in the sub apps menu and never know there was a setting.

Partly it's that the global switch is badly worded (it should read "show all notifications except exemptions", and "sensitive" notifications should just be renamed "don't show notification text") and the sub apps menu toggle should be greyed out if not available, rather than being totally hidden.

Zeppu

But the point is a user would go into the settings, see the global switch, and hit that, then go and look in the sub apps menu and never know there was a setting.

Partly it's that the global switch is badly worded (it should read "show all notifications except exemptions", and "sensitive" notifications should just be renamed "don't show notification text") and the sub apps menu toggle should be greyed out if not available, rather than being totally hidden.

Yeah that whole section is very confusing.

You've got Lockscreen security, notification sensitivity, notification priority and notification volume all grouped together in a big, jumbled mess which is hard to get your head around.

Swig_

Swipe up from lower centre screen.

Are you swiping to the right on the lockscreen?

Oh wow, I didn't notice that. I guess it's an interesting feature, except that it detects the phone/camera apps from a mile away. I typically would swipe to the right to unlock it, but more on the upper center section of the screen. I wish the radius for the camera and phone apps was much, much smaller. That's going to take some reprogramming of muscle memory to stop that behavior.

Thanks for the tip on what was causing this.

RoadHazard

Gold Member
Oh wow, I didn't notice that. I guess it's an interesting feature, except that it detects the phone/camera apps from a mile away. I typically would swipe to the right to unlock it, but more on the upper center section of the screen. I wish the radius for the camera and phone apps was much, much smaller. That's going to take some reprogramming of muscle memory to stop that behavior.

Thanks for the tip on what was causing this.

I like this change, since I can now just swipe left anywhere on the screen to quickly open the camera. Didn't like how you had to do it from the edge of the screen previously. I'm already used to swiping up to unlock, I do it without even thinking now.

RoadHazard

Gold Member
Don't like how chrome tabs are mixed with everything else.

So change it back, there's a setting for it in Chrome.

I really like it now that I'm used to it, makes sense to me to treat web sites as "apps" since they're really just two different ways to deliver content. It makes jumping between different apps and tabs much faster, since they're all right there in one place. I could see it becoming a bit cluttered if you regularly have like 10+ tabs open, but I normally only have 2-3 "permanent" ones, with any additional ones being temporary tabs that I close one I'm done with them.

Arjen

So change it back, there's a setting for it in Chrome.

I really like it now that I'm used to it, makes sense to me to treat web sites as "apps" since they're really just two different ways to deliver content. It makes jumping between different apps and tabs much faster, since they're all right there in one place. I could see it becoming a bit cluttered if you regularly have like 10+ tabs open, but I normally only have 2-3 "permanent" ones, with any additional ones being temporary tabs that I close one I'm done with them.
No idea you could change it, thanks.

Zeppu

Again, I think it makes more sense in Android with how multitasking (Recents/Overview) works.

Problem though is that the overview can get cluttered very quickly especially if you press home after going into settings, performing search, etc not like many do and keep pressing back until they get to the homescreen. I have all the OK Google searches in my overview including several where the app didn't understand me so I had to say OK Google again. It'd be a nightmare to find open tabs in there. The idea for the overview is fantastic I think that they wanted to show it off and ended up slightly overdoing it.

Seriously, every single search doesn't need to be its own card.

Not sure how I feel about recents keeping so much more stuff now; visually its harder for me to find what app I'm looking for at times, both because of the nice looking 3D stack and because there are so many entries.

I don't know what's more disappointing: Samsung clearly not understanding the fundamental design elements behind Material and thinking that adding solid slabs of bright color is all it takes, or HTC apparently sapping all of the beautiful color out of stock Lollipop.

With all of the OEMs clearly not giving a shit about Material, can we really expect app developers to give a shit about it?

This isn't surprising or anything, but this shit has to really irritate Duarte & Co.

Blackhead

Redarse
I don't know what's more disappointing: Samsung clearly not understanding the fundamental design elements behind Material and thinking that adding solid slabs of bright color is all it takes, or HTC apparently sapping all of the beautiful color out of stock Lollipop.

With all of the OEMs clearly not giving a shit about Material, can we really expect app developers to give a shit about it?

This isn't surprising or anything, but this shit has to really irritate Duarte & Co.

Oh c'mon, app developers do care especially because Material is not just a UI design but includes a UX kit for creating that design which makes their jobs a lot easier.

Sidenote: I was surprised to see PrinterShare get a new UI recently. It's the kind of business focused app that can get away with cruddy design because of useful features. Of course the design is based on ICS not even kitkat or material but it does look better than the iOS version...

Flynn77

Got brave and side loaded my Nexus4. Impressed so far. It really is like a new phone. Did an immediate factory wipe and its super smooth. Time will tell if battery life is effected though.

Am I right in thinking if you set a time frame overnight for priority mode and only allow alarms, you won't have to adjust volume anyway?

Just got the OTA on my Nexus 5, unfortunately I'm at the office and we don't have wifi.

I have unlimited data through Sprint, but I'm not sure I want to download half a gig over LTE.

Wreav

Banned
Oh c'mon, app developers do care especially because Material is not just a UI design but includes a UX kit for creating that design which makes their jobs a lot easier.

Can you explain why even Googy apps have implemented MD inconsistently and not to design guidelines?

Top Bottom