• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Android 5.0 Lollipop announced

DrFurbs

I'm not sure how much it would explain, but to prevent using GPS the phone will still ping wifi networks when wifi is off. You might remember the setting when you booted it up for the first time.

Apparently the WiFi AND something else is overly draining the battery. This is what I'm experiencing. Read the posts on XDA it's not fully gone it seems.

Lexxism

How do I hide all of the email addresses on my contacts? I just want to see that one with phone numbers. I can't find the option to hide those.

Zeppu

You know what else I don't like from lollipop, the way the new notifications pop up, they take a portion of your screen and you have to wait for them to go to use the top part of your screen. Of you swipe them away it dismisses the notification completely. A bit silly.

How do I hide all of the email addresses on my contacts? I just want to see that one with phone numbers. I can't find the option to hide those.

When it forced me to merge my Hotmail into GMail, it turned on Hotmail contacts sync automatically, and shit up my contacts list with useless Hotmail people.
I found if I went into the contact that had just an email address, and deleted ALL information about the user(email, first and last names) and then before saving the changes just chose delete it would delete the contact.

Phoenix

you didn't read my post.

why the hell can't we use the volume button for silent mode.

did i mention anything about touching the screen?

or picking priority and none every to.e i wanna go silent mode?

Wasn't aware you could do it before. I can get to vibrate by just holding the volume button down though.

thenexus6

So, for some reason whenever i'd try to go into language and input settings i'd get a crash message and it would never open. So I redownloaded the google keyboard and it let me into settings. (Before I only had swiftkey installed)

When you have more than one keyboard in use there is no icon in the top bar anymore like in kitkat..

OH.MY.GOD FINALLY!!

So much better, I used to absolutely hate that.

It now appears button right next to multi tasking button.

jPjFYX4.png

Sch1sm

So, for some reason whenever i'd try to go into language and input settings i'd get a crash message and it would never open. So I redownloaded the google keyboard and it let me into settings. (Before I only had swiftkey installed)

When you have more than one keyboard in use there is no icon in the top bar anymore like in kitkat..

OH.MY.GOD FINALLY!!

So much better, I used to absolutely hate that.

It now appears button right next to multi tasking button.

jPjFYX4.png

Overlooked everything once I saw SUUUUGOOOOIIIII.
Why.
Either way, about time. That used to annoy the hell out of me, the entire input deal.

GatorBait

What is the best replacement for Gallery? I need something that will allow me to reflect/mirror an image for selfies

I was pretty surprised when I realized the Photos app doesn't have this option. Seems to have everything else from the Gallery app in the Photos app's crop section, but not the mirror option.

scently

When I press the volume rocker I only see the volume control and nothing else. None of the other options like the priority stuff etc. Is there a way to turn this on? I had it in the preview build.

Gattsu25

Banned
Well, just flashed my device in time for my flight tomorrow morning.

Probably not the best time to do this shit but, hey, now I have lollipop

RoadHazard

Gold Member
When I press the volume rocker I only see the volume control and nothing else. None of the other options like the priority stuff etc. Is there a way to turn this on? I had it in the preview build.

Weird, should just be there.

What does the star symbol mean in the status bar?

Do not disturb mode.

Nope, the star means you're in priority mode. The icon for no disturbances is a circle with a line going through it.

LiquidMetal14

hide your water-based mammals
For the third time, has anyone else not been able to default your own ringtone on lollipop? Ever since the update no matter which ringtone I choose it defaults to this newer one on the phone. Haven't tried hangouts calls or nothing but I was able to customize my ringtone for the phone app and now it just wont revert back to my own ringtone.

zbeeb

For the third time, has anyone else not been able to default your own ringtone on lollipop? Ever since the update no matter which ringtone I choose it defaults to this newer one on the phone. Haven't tried hangouts calls or nothing but I was able to customize my ringtone for the phone app and now it just wont revert back to my own ringtone.

Have you tried changing the ringtone in the phone/dialer app settings rather than system settings?

Dr. Malik

FlatAss_
I was pretty surprised when I realized the Photos app doesn't have this option. Seems to have everything else from the Gallery app in the Photos app's crop section, but not the mirror option.

Yeah not sure why tho since flipping a picture option should be standard

but now I downloaded QuickPic just to have this feature

Yay, last night I forgot to take my phone out of the new silent mode, and now I'm one and a half hours late for work because the alarm didn't go off. Whoever designed this and thought it was a good idea? It was my second night after updating the phone to lollipop.

Soodanim

Yay, last night I forgot to take my phone out of the new silent mode, and now I'm one and a half hours late for work because the alarm didn't go off. Whoever designed this and thought it was a good idea? It was my second night after updating the phone to lollipop.
You could set it to priority mode and only let alarms through. Or you could set it to super silent for X hours overnight, so you don't get woken up but you still get your alarm. The problem with that is they seem to not let you use preset times (jumps from 4 to 8 hours).

But they do need to bring back old silent. I know they tried to have alternatives, but sometimes there's nothing more simple and perfect than the way the old one worked.

When you press NONE it even says in red that not even the alarm will go off.

Leonsito

Got the OTA yesterday, I've been playing wth the new priority/notification system, it will take a while to get used to it, but it has great ideas behind.

What I don't like right now is that it the volume slider is just ON or VIBRATE, not a total OFF for both settings like before, or am I missing something?

You could set it to priority mode and only let alarms through. Or you could set it to super silent for X hours overnight, so you don't get woken up but you still get your alarm. The problem with that is they seem to not let you use preset times (jumps from 4 to 8 hours).

But they do need to bring back old silent. I know they tried to have alternatives, but sometimes there's nothing more simple and perfect than the way the old one worked.
Priority mode isn't intended to be used just to let the alarm through though, is it? I think I will start putting it in airplane mode when going to sleep, it should solve the problem. Actually priority mode would be fine if it could just turn off vibrations on an app to app basis.

When you press NONE it even says in red that not even the alarm will go off.
Yes, but I did this hours before going to bed and forgot about it. Of course it's a user error, but I haven't gotten used to it yet. It just shows how unintuitive it is.

Flynn77

Set a timescale on priority mode. You don't even have to worry about turning down/up your phone. Granted its prob not the solution if you work shifts.

RoadHazard

Gold Member
Priority mode isn't intended to be used just to let the alarm through though, is it? I think I will start putting it in airplane mode when going to sleep, it should solve the problem. Actually priority mode would be fine if it could just turn off vibrations on an app to app basis.

You can do exactly that. In the notification settings for each app there's a setting for making that app's notifications a priority or not. By default it's turned off for all apps. So turn it on for the apps you deem most important, enter priority mode, and you should be set.

Veins

Unconfirmed Member
Priority mode still let's through vibration for apps even though I have none of them enabled for priority mode. The solution I'm using at the moment is to use "Silent Mode Widget" and toggle it through the options until it gives me the priority mode star without vibration. Then I basically have silent mode as I had before.

Soodanim

I love notification cards being visible from the lock screen and I love that you can see and block sensitive content as desired, but it would be so much better if smart lock could unlock the sensitive content when it recognises you. So if Google fancy adding that when they're patching in classic silent and giving us a customisable priority/full silent mode (instead of just 1/2/4/8 hours) that would be lovely.

Yes, but I did this hours before going to bed and forgot about it. Of course it's a user error, but I haven't gotten used to it yet. It just shows how unintuitive it is.
It's customisation settings let it be what you want it to be. The switches are there so you can turn off calls and messages, letting it just be silent with alarms.

Personally, and I guess that most people do this, I have it so my starred contacts can get hold of me any time (rare, but happens), and I do that at night during my sleeping hours. So I'll never miss an urgent call from my parents or closest friends due to sleep, but I won't be woken up by a message at 6am that won't ever be worth me waking up. If you did the same, you'd probably never get calls from your starred anyway (depending on who they are) and you'd get those alarms.

I got the update yesterday morning on my nexus 5, so far it's really smooth and there's no lag. My only problem so far is last night when I'm going to sleep I've charge it to 100, and when I wake up its 72% with Google play services suck all the battery and it makes my phone stay awake for the night. The other problem I had is chrome always crash when I'm browsing, always, I rarely get this problem when using kit kat. let's see if tonight the problem persist.

I disabled that location-based smart lock feature in the end. It didn't seem to work consistently when I'm at home. I would look on the map and the marker showing my location hadn't moved and I was still inside the circle that shows the range of the smart lock, yet sometimes I would go to unlock my phone and I'd be presented with the "enter PIN" screen still.

I wish they would just add trusted wi-fi networks to it, so that I can say "when I'm connected to my home wi-fi, never ask me for my PIN".

Lubricus

Finally got the update on my Nexus 5. Good stuff, although battery seems to drain quicker.

N5. My Bluetooth light stays on even if no devices are near. I had to turn it off manually. Previously the symbol would be there but not lit up. Now it's on all the time.

Easy_D

never left the stone age
N5. My Bluetooth light stays on even if no devices are near. I had to turn it off manually. Previously the symbol would be there but not lit up. Now it's on all the time.

Couldn't that be a result of the new function where it checks for familiar Bluetooth devices to disable the lockscreen?

Edit: Sweet, seems like Motorola is actually looking into the RAM situation with the Moto G, they're collecting info about RAM usage to see if they can make multi-tasking a bit more viable. Not that I've personally had any issues with it, I don't constantly switch between games and other shit, but still, if Chrome tabs stayed in RAM just a little bit longer that would be aces!

Or I could just root it and fiddle with the minram setting and sort it out myself. Phone was cheap enough that lost warranty isn't exactly something that makes me sad.

Dunlop

I used to have to hold the WiFi icon for a second to turn it off out on.a light tap would bring me to the network screen. Now I can only seem to turn it off or on. Anyone know how to do this?I have multiple networks at home

RoadHazard

Gold Member
I used to have to hold the WiFi icon for a second to turn it off out on.a light tap would bring me to the network screen. Now I can only seem to turn it off or on. Anyone know how to do this?I have multiple networks at home

Yeah, you toggle by tapping now, which makes much more sense than how the old quick settings worked. To get into the Wi-Fi (or Bluetooth) settings you now tap the text below the icon.

Easy_D

never left the stone age
Wasn't the battery life supposed to be better with this?

People have reported that draining the battery completely and giving the phone a full charge seems to at the very least restore battery life, some see an improvement though. I suppose it'll get better over time as more and more apps update their power management stuffs.

DrFurbs

People have reported that draining the battery completely and giving the phone a full charge seems to at the very least restore battery life, some see an improvement though. I suppose it'll get better over time as more and more apps update their power management stuffs.

its all over the web - lollipop drains faster. there is a very nice post on XDA with tests showing lollipop over KK and its worse.

http://forum.xda-developers.com/google-nexus-5/help/battery-drain-t2939701/page23

Easy_D

never left the stone age
its all over the web - lollipop drains faster. there is a very nice post on XDA with tests showing lollipop over KK and its worse.

http://forum.xda-developers.com/google-nexus-5/help/battery-drain-t2939701/page23

Well then. Couple those posts with the above post about his Bluetooth not entering a rest state I'm chalking this up to bugs. Growing pains etc. Isn't that also the point of the soak tests? Surely we'll see a 5.0.1 pretty soon. [/wildspeculation]
Kinda funny though, given how proud they seemed to be with Volta ;P

Off-Topic: God damn if the XDA-Dev forms isn't just the shittiest looking forum ever, such a messy layout :(

Edit: Wtf the RAM issues I read from other Moto G users is like "I cant listen to music while using Google Maps". So I started the music player, opened up 8 tabs in Chrome, started Minecraft then opened up Google Maps. Music kept going, the other apps did get flushed, but still. Not a huge problem. I wonder if those other people are running crazy ass launchers or something.

JordanKZ

I'll put this way, don't expect 5.0 to be the version of Lollipop that many OEM's ship with. Expect to see a 5.0.1 before January, seriously. ICS eventually got stable at 4.0.3, JB was 4.1.2, 4.2.2 and 4.3.1. KK was 4.4.3/4.4.4. The main reason for this, is that Adobe Air apps are completely incompatible with 5.0. I believe this is because they can't run on ART and thus the OS throws them away during the upgrade. Then again, why the fuck anyone would use god damn Adobe Air is beyond me.

In regards to Volta, it does seem to be helping somewhat. Battery scheduler features are working better, but we'll have to wait for major battery drains (Play Services, GMS) to actually be updated to take advantage of them. With Google, one team implements the tools, the others update the apps... Things take time to trickle down.

DrFurbs

I'll put this way, don't expect 5.0 to be the version of Lollipop that many OEM's ship with. Expect to see a 5.0.1 before January, seriously. ICS eventually got stable at 4.0.3, JB was 4.1.2, 4.2.2 and 4.3.1. KK was 4.4.3/4.4.4. The main reason for this, is that Adobe Air apps are completely incompatible with 5.0. I believe this is because they can't run on ART and thus the OS throws them away during the upgrade. Then again, why the fuck anyone would use god damn Adobe Air is beyond me.

In regards to Volta, it does seem to be helping somewhat. Battery scheduler features are working better, but we'll have to wait for major battery drains (Play Services, GMS) to actually be updated to take advantage of them. With Google, one team implements the tools, the others update the apps... Things take time to trickle down.

Doesnt Volta only work in battery saver mode?

Also - Im not in a 4G area - so i siwthced my Nexus to 3G - do you think will help?

EDIT

Since turning my phone to 3G and doing a full charge my battery now reports 1 full day and 2 hours lol (IF ONLY). I have wifi off atm.

Top Bottom