• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Android 5.0 Lollipop announced

Easy_D

never left the stone age
Doesnt Volta only work in battery saver mode?

Also - Im not in a 4G area - so i siwthced my Nexus to 3G - do you think will help?

It should. From what I've read, having a full signal to the 4G network at all times uses less battery than being on 3G, but if the phone keeps trying to boost the 4G signal it'll actually drain faster.

JordanKZ

Doesnt Volta only work in battery saver mode?

Also - Im not in a 4G area - so i siwthced my Nexus to 3G - do you think will help?

The idea of Volta is that it schedules battery draining tasks to run all at once, to wake the CPU as little as possible. Then sleep the device immediately. Play Services/GMS often wake the device as they need to and leave the device awake. The last bit is the most important. I believe Play Services 6.5 (which is just starting to roll out), is starting to move towards this model as well as bring some new fancy features for users and developers.

Battery Saver is simply something that turns off all non-priority communication, downlocks the SoC dramatically, turns off animations and lowers screen brightness. That's all it's doing, nothing special.

If you have a strong 4G signal, 4G is preferred. It uses less battery and downloads faster to get a job done quicker. But, as Easy_D mentioned, if you're in a patchy coverage area, the phone will shout as loud as possible for a 4G signal, if it has the chance.

Zeppu

The idea of Volta is that it schedules battery draining tasks to run all at once, to wake the CPU as little as possible. Then sleep the device immediately. Play Services/GMS often wake the device as they need to and leave the device awake. The last bit is the most important. I believe Play Services 6.5 (which is just starting to roll out), is starting to move towards this model as well as bring some new fancy features for users and developers.

Funny you should say that. Play services never used to show up on my battery usage page bug since 6.5 it's always up there either above or below screen usage.

JordanKZ

Funny you should say that. Play services never used to show up on my battery usage page bug since 6.5 it's always up there either above or below screen usage.

Did you sideload Play Services 6.5? Lollipop has a version specific build. Also, from what I hear, it might be worth a reboot once it's installed.

Zeppu

Did you sideload Play Services 6.5? Lollipop has a version specific build. Also, from what I hear, it might be worth a reboot once it's installed.

Hmm, yeah I installed it from Android Police. I did restart though.
Let me uninstall and see if get it automatically now.

I'll put this way, don't expect 5.0 to be the version of Lollipop that many OEM's ship with. Expect to see a 5.0.1 before January, seriously. ICS eventually got stable at 4.0.3, JB was 4.1.2, 4.2.2 and 4.3.1. KK was 4.4.3/4.4.4. The main reason for this, is that Adobe Air apps are completely incompatible with 5.0. I believe this is because they can't run on ART and thus the OS throws them away during the upgrade. Then again, why the fuck anyone would use god damn Adobe Air is beyond me.

In regards to Volta, it does seem to be helping somewhat. Battery scheduler features are working better, but we'll have to wait for major battery drains (Play Services, GMS) to actually be updated to take advantage of them. With Google, one team implements the tools, the others update the apps... Things take time to trickle down.

Right? It drives me crazy when people expect incredible stability out of a major new OS update, not to mention the fact that issues can be introduced by how you update.

It's a great thing that Microsoft, Apple, and Google have made it easy for even the least-tech savvy people to be on the latest version of an OS, but as a secondary effect, we now have tons of people who are early adopters that have no business being early adopters.

DrFurbs

LOL since turning off WIFI and turning to 3G my phone now reports (and grenifying things) im allegedly getting 1 full day and 21 hours.

Cant be right.

thenexus6

Anyone know how I can disable the phone from the lock screen ? I keep accidentally opening phone dialler. I don't want a code, or pattern or anything just a normal swype.

Zeppu

Settings - Security - Screen lock - None

Doubt that's what he's asking for. I think the issue is in the fact that if you have your hands in your pocket with your phone and you accidentally press the power button it's incredibly easy to open phone or camera with a simple brush to the screen from the the left or right edge.

I've mentioned it before. The new lockscreen is fantastic in terms of functionality but works really badly as a lockscreen.

Hey guys, I've noticed that the little preview in the notification bar you get when a new notification comes in doesn't happen anymore. Some apps, like Google's Hangouts or Messenger app use a toast notification like iOS and there are buttons to perform actions, but apps like WhatApp don't, instead only the app icon appears, and that's all that happens

Is there any way to get it to behave like the way it used to? It was actually really useful to have that small little preview with details of what the notification was come up in the notification bar, without disrupting anything you were doing, or taking up screen real estate.

Zeppu

Hey guys, I've noticed that the little preview in the notification bar you get when a new notification comes in doesn't happen anymore. Some apps, like Google's Hangouts or Messenger app use a toast notification like iOS and there are buttons to perform actions, but apps like WhatApp don't, instead only the app icon appears, and that's all that happens

Is there any way to get it to behave like the way it used to? It was actually really useful to have that small little preview with details of what the notification was come up in the notification bar, without disrupting anything you were doing, or taking up screen real estate.

No, unfortunately.

http://www.androidpolice.com/2014/1...cation-ticker-is-gone-and-thats-kind-of-dumb/

Majine

Banned
The thing I don't like about notifications is the icons aren't the app icons. It's the silhouette on a colored circle, which is confusing sometimes.

I am experiencing a pretty significant bug.Whenever someone calls me and that little pop up appears on top, I can't answer or decline. I press and press and the buttons do not work. The only way I can answer is by pressing the power button once and then waking up the device again.

Really annoying and and it is degrading my experiencing significantly.

RoadHazard

Gold Member
I am experiencing a pretty significant bug.Whenever someone calls me and that little pop up appears on top, I can't answer or decline. I press and press and the buttons do not work. The only way I can answer is by pressing the power button once and then waking up the device again.

Never experienced that. How did you update? OTA, ZIP, clean flash, dirty flash?

Kathian

Banned

Any issue in general with your phone picking up your touches in that area?

Never experienced that. How did you update? OTA, ZIP, clean flash, dirty flash?

OTA zip side load. Everything else works aside from this annoying thing. If it doesn't resolve itself soon, I might do a clean install but that is such a hassle.

Any issue in general with your phone picking up your touches in that area?
Nope, only when that pop up window for calls pop up. Now that I think about it, I also tried touching it whenever another notification from another app comes up and it did nothing as well, but I thought it was like that by design? If not, then my pop up notification might be broken.

RoadHazard

Gold Member
OTA zip side load. Everything else works aside from this annoying thing. If it doesn't resolve itself soon, I might do a clean install but that is such a hassle.

Nope, only when that pop up window for calls pop up. Now that I think about it, I also tried touching it whenever another notification from another app comes up and it did nothing as well, but I thought it was like that by design?

It's supposed to open the app when you tap it, like a regular notification.

I have a bug on my Nexus 5 (probably due to a Sprint issue) where I always have a notification for a missed voicemail no matter if I've checked or deleted all my voicemails, and it's so awful now because it's on my lock screen every time I open my phone. Hate it. I have no idea how to fix it.

I have a bug on my Nexus 5 (probably due to a Sprint issue) where I always have a notification for a missed voicemail no matter if I've checked or deleted all my voicemails, and it's so awful now because it's on my lock screen every time I open my phone. Hate it. I have no idea how to fix it.
Oh I have this too, but I'm with tmobile and it was like this for Kitkat as well.

Still no OTA update for my N7 2013.

At this point I feel like there's a six year old Laotian girl huddled on the border using a flip phone from 2001 who is running Lollipop but I don't have it yet.

:-(

And yes, I realize I could go get it and figure out how to flash it or whatever, which ultimately I would break, but now I'm curious as to just how long it'll take to get this completely rolled out.

Seems egregiously long.

tirminyl

Still no OTA update for my N7 2013.

At this point I feel like there's a six year old Laotian girl huddled on the border using a flip phone from 2001 who is running Lollipop but I don't have it yet.

:-(

And yes, I realize I could go get it and figure out how to flash it or whatever, which ultimately I would break, but now I'm curious as to just how long it'll take to get this completely rolled out.

Seems egregiously long.

My N7 2012 got the push this past weekend.

Side loading the OTA is super easy really. No flashing or resetting anything. That's how I got it on my N5.

belvedere

Junior Butler
Received the update for my 2012 N7. I decided to wipe and set it up as a new device and so far, it's much more responsive than I thought it would be.

Syntsui

Any easy way to get rid of the mailvoice icon? It was so simple to hold the icon and clear the data, now it doesn't work and I have to go to the my running apps and do it from there.

RoadHazard

Gold Member
Finally got my OTA update. Looking good on my Nexus 5, even if things are a tad bit sluggish.

What's sluggish? Are you installing apps and stuff? That's normal if so. If not, you might want to do a factory reset. A clean install of Lollipop on the N5 is very, very smooth.

Cromat

Just upgraded... Eh. Sluggish.

Also is there a way to change Google Keyword so that the central suggestion is the word you wrote like it was before? I find it much more convenient to look there and not on the actual text.

Chris R

What's sluggish? Are you installing apps and stuff? That's normal if so. If not, you might want to do a factory reset. A clean install of Lollipop on the N5 is very, very smooth.

Opening my app window was VERY slow the first time I did it, seems better now but I thought my phone was going to crash for a second :(

Soodanim

I disabled Google Now this morning, and although left WiFi on (but not connected to anything) I'm definitely worse off than I would have been on 4.4.4. At least 10% worse off after 4 hours of it sitting in my bag, maybe 15-20%. I'll have to remember to disable WiFi and try again (Tasker used to do that for me, but I'm not a fan of keeping notification-having things in 5). Nexus 4.

RoadHazard

Gold Member
Opening my app window was VERY slow the first time I did it, seems better now but I thought my phone was going to crash for a second :(

I've never experienced anything like that, opening the app drawer has always been silky smooth for me. But I did do a clean flash, wiping everything in the process.

DrFurbs

I disabled Google Now this morning, and although left WiFi on (but not connected to anything) I'm definitely worse off than I would have been on 4.4.4. At least 10% worse off after 4 hours of it sitting in my bag, maybe 15-20%. I'll have to remember to disable WiFi and try again (Tasker used to do that for me, but I'm not a fan of keeping notification-having things in 5). Nexus 4.

Try setting 3G instead of the the default 4G.. Go into settings more /mobile networks...

I have noticed a drastic difference setting this.. Plus grennify stuff.

Soodanim

Try setting 3G instead of the the default 4G.. Go into settings more /mobile networks...

I have noticed a drastic difference setting this.. Plus grennify stuff.
I only have 3G, and I use everything greenify might hibernate! But thanks anyway.

I was looking forward to increased battery life, what on earth happened there?

RoadHazard

Gold Member

Omzz

ugh. how do i turn off this battery saver notification that pops up with every dwindling percent? annoying as hell.

Top Bottom