• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Android 5.0 Lollipop announced

Noema

Motorola started pushing updates to many of their apps like Camera and Gallery today, all of them featuring spiffy Material Design make overs.

Makes me wonder if they are getting ready to start pushing 5.0 OTA to all their unlocked devices and to send the ROMs to the carriers.

This wait is excruciating.

Easy_D

never left the stone age
Motorola started pushing updates to many of their apps like Camera and Gallery today, all of them featuring spiffy Material Design make overs.

Makes me wonder if they are getting ready to start pushing 5.0 OTA to all their unlocked devices and to send the ROMs to the carriers.

This wait is excruciating.

I sure hope so, I've been anxiously waiting since the soak tests started

Is there any way I can turn off the need to double wipe to get the FULL notification menu (settings button, brightness slider, etc.)?

I just updated my Nexus 10 and I'm already irritated by the need to wipe twice to get to the stuff I want to use. It also brings down the tiny notification menu in the center of the screen, instead of the edges which I preferred in the previous version. Any way I can bring that back?

The "Swipe to unlock" also seems really janky for some reason after updating. Either it's lagging a few seconds before it unlocks, or it's not registering my first few swipes.

linkboy

Is there any way I can turn off the need to double wipe to get the FULL notification menu (settings button, brightness slider, etc.)?

I just updated my Nexus 10 and I'm already irritated by the need to wipe twice to get to the stuff I want to use. It also brings down the tiny notification menu in the center of the screen, instead of the edges which I preferred in the previous version. Any way I can bring that back?

The "Swipe to unlock" also seems really janky for some reason after updating. Either it's lagging a few seconds before it unlocks, or it's not registering my first few swipes.

Swipe with two fingers and it'll bring down the settings screen

RoadHazard

Gold Member

Nope, that's how it works now. But like the above poster says, you can swipe with two fingers to get right into quick settings.

Laggy unlock is not anything I've experienced on my N5.

thenexus6

I wish they didn't remove the option to put your phone into mute by holding the power button. Last night I was listening to a podcast and realised my phone was still in normal mode. Obviously when I hit the volume button it just changed podcast volume so I had to quit my podcast, wait a second then hit volume and select silent mode.

AndyD

aka andydumi
Got it on the N10 last night. Nice and smooth but terribly unoptimized for the wide and alrge screen. I immediately dislike the new lockscreen notifications being in a tiny narrow column, and the removal of the left/right swipe downs for settings vs notifications. Both my wife and I use the tablet and now it takes several presses and swipes of tiny areas to switch users. Big step back in usability so far.

FLEABttn

Banned
I got Lollipop yesterday and now my phone keeps telling me that "An application requires an update", "Requested by Google Play services", but when I go into Google Play, everything is up to date. How annoying.

And it has randomly stopped now. Uh, okay.

Do we know if there are any plans to add more nuance to the priority calls/messages functionality? I have several friends that I keep starred because I call and text them frequently, but who I don't want to get through when I'm in a meeting or asleep. We can set by individual app, why not by individual contact?

Bollocks

lol got update notification on my 2012 n7. accidentally removed the notification, now when I manually search for updates it says there are none o_O

Dunno if this has been posted but looks like there has been a wee bit of a snafu with Lollipop and rollout of it has been suspended :-

blurb said:
Several Nexus 4 and Nexus 5 users have recently reported a critical SMS bug via Android Issue Tracker in Android 5.0 Lollipop. The bug is apparently preventing them from sending text messages.

In related news, the Dutch website Tweakers reports that Google has confirmed that the bug also affects Nexus 6 and it has prompted them to suspend Android 5.0 Lollipop updates on the affected Nexus devices until the bug is fixed.

http://www.ibtimes.co.uk/google-sus...-reports-critical-sms-bug-nexus-4-5-6-1475745

I don't know if I am affected, I don't use sms much if at all.

pestul

lol got update notification on my 2012 n7. accidentally removed the notification, now when I manually search for updates it says there are none o_O
Ouch.. You probably have to wait until the next push out. Don't keep hitting the check for updates option as it might prolong the wait. Or maybe it was removed for more bug fixes as stated above.

RoadHazard

Gold Member
I wish they didn't remove the option to put your phone into mute by holding the power button. Last night I was listening to a podcast and realised my phone was still in normal mode. Obviously when I hit the volume button it just changed podcast volume so I had to quit my podcast, wait a second then hit volume and select silent mode.

That is a bit annoying. You can still do it through settings when you've got media playing, but that's not exactly optimal.

Dunno if this has been posted but looks like there has been a wee bit of a snafu with Lollipop and rollout of it has been suspended :-

http://www.ibtimes.co.uk/google-sus...-reports-critical-sms-bug-nexus-4-5-6-1475745

I don't know if I am affected, I don't use sms much if at all.

No such issues here. SMS and MMS work fine.

Dinosur

Hopefully it's just a display glitch, but my battery seems to be acting a bit goofy today.

I finally got around to installing lollipop last night (with full wipe) on my N5. I let the battery run out while I slept for shits and giggles. However, when I went home for lunch, the phone is saying it's only 63% charged after over four hours on the wireless charger. That sure doesn't seem right.

I did not turn on that new battery saver mode or anything and it the whole phone was off while charging.

My quick dumb two cents on the OS (I focus on the negative things in life lol):

- I like the new google now card design. It's nice that they added period times to the hockey games, although that exacerbates the realization they don't update that often.

- Lock screen notifications, thank you.

- New default keyboard looks so boring. From a web developer perspective, it's like they forgot to include the css file.

- I'm not 100% sure, but so far it seems like you have to make 1-2 extra clicks to read text messages because it kept taking me to the main Hangout section instead of the actual conversation thread. Hopefully that was just an initial glitch because it also uncoupled all my G+ -> real contact joinings too which I had to redo.

- Extra step settings suck, double finger or not.

- The back/home/apps icon redesign is confusing as shit. I mean, it obviously makes sense to us, but I feel sorry for someone who never used Android until a lollipop device.

Sch1sm

Hopefully it's just a display glitch, but my battery seems to be acting a bit goofy today.

I finally got around to installing lollipop last night (with full wipe) on my N5. I let the battery run out while I slept for shits and giggles. However, when I went home for lunch, the phone is saying it's only 63% charged after over four hours on the wireless charger. That sure doesn't seem right.

I did not turn on that new battery saver mode or anything and it the whole phone was off while charging.

My quick dumb two cents on the OS (I focus on the negative things in life lol):

- I like the new google now card design. It's nice that they added period times to the hockey games, although that exacerbates the realization they don't update that often.

- Lock screen notifications, thank you.

- New default keyboard looks so boring. From a web developer perspective, it's like they forgot to include the css file.

- I'm not 100% sure, but so far it seems like you have to make 1-2 extra clicks to read text messages because it kept taking me to the main Hangout section instead of the actual conversation thread. Hopefully that was just an initial glitch because it also uncoupled all my G+ -> real contact joinings too which I had to redo.

- Extra step settings suck, double finger or not.

- The back/home/apps icon redesign is confusing as shit. I mean, it obviously makes sense to us, but I feel sorry for someone who never used Android until a lollipop device.

Can't use battery saver when charging, anyway, so even if it was on and you tried to turn battery saver on it would have just gone, "Nope."

As for the keyboard you can change back to Holo design in your settings, if you prefer it!

Switched over to the new Messenger app myself so I dunno if the thing with Hangouts was one-time or a regular issue. Hopefully it can't be replicated.

You can always use one finger and then tap for the setting toggles in the notif center.

I am experiencing a pretty significant bug.Whenever someone calls me and that little pop up appears on top, I can't answer or decline. I press and press and the buttons do not work. The only way I can answer is by pressing the power button once and then waking up the device again.

Really annoying and and it is degrading my experiencing significantly.

Huh, after a restart or two, the bug fixed itself. My notification works flawlessly now.

So for everyone experiencing a bug or two, just restart it a few times and give it time. It might fix itself.

edit: and some of the sluggishness is gone. Everything works!

caved in on my Samsung Galaxy S5 and installed build 4 of albinoman's version of lollipop.

absolutely smooth and not many bugs.

battery seems to be holding up but i'll recalibrate it anyway.

fuck waiting for samsung's shit version of android 5

Am not sure if it is a Lollipop issue or Nexus 6 issue, but my recent apps lists each of my Google Now searches as a separate tab. Is there any way I can turn that off?

Is it normal that my nexus 7 still hasn't been updated?

Both my Nexus 7 (2012) and (2013) have yet to be updated with Lollipop. Not too bothered about the 2012 model being updated to Lollipop after hearing about the horror stories on performance. As for the 2013 model being updated well my elderly mother uses that one and I am not looking forward to showing her the changes :-/ . Perversely My Nexus 4 and 5 received the lollipop update a couple of days ago.

There appears to be no rhyme nor reason for this rollout, you get it when you get it.

Am not sure if it is a Lollipop issue or Nexus 6 issue, but my recent apps lists each of my Google Now searches as a separate tab. Is there any way I can turn that off?

If you start up Chrome go into settings and look for the option "merge tabs and apps" and turn it on that will fix it for you (google now opens searches in Chrome).

Both my Nexus 7 (2012) and (2013) have yet to be updated with Lollipop. Not too bothered about the 2012 model being updated to Lollipop after hearing about the horror stories on performance. As for the 2013 model being updated well my elderly mother uses that one and I am not looking forward to showing her the changes :-/ . Perversely My Nexus 4 and 5 received the lollipop update a couple of days ago.

There appears to be
If you start up Chrome go into settings and look for the option "merge tabs and apps" and turn it on that will fix it for you (google now opens searches in Chrome).

I've changed the Chrome setting. My Google Now searches seem to stay in their separate app.

4uxXNG4.png

I really miss being able to change notification volume while listening to music/podcasts like you could in 4.4 by expanding the volume popup. Might have to fuck around with custom roms instead of staying stock like I have always done with this tablet.

Phoenix

Is there a way to close all of the open applications? I haven't run across that on Android at all. I have having to swipe away 30-40 individual apps.

RoadHazard

Gold Member
Is there a way to close all of the open applications? I haven't run across that on Android at all. I have having to swipe away 30-40 individual apps.

There's not, and you don't need to. Android handles memory usage and stuff on its own, it doesn't need your help. Most of what you see in Recents isn't actually running, they are just there to let you easily switch between recently used apps.

Sure, I swipe away some stuff too (games, etc), but most everyday apps I just leave there. That's how it's designed to be used.

How do I downgrade android?

I have an S2 but upgraded it to whatever was out, but it runs so slow now, and I just want to go back to what I had from the start

Sch1sm

How do I downgrade android?

I have an S2 but upgraded it to whatever was out, but it runs so slow now, and I just want to go back to what I had from the start

You could flash an earlier OS, no problem, but it'd delete everything that isn't Google synced.

Easy_D

never left the stone age
Didn't know you could manually update the keyboard for the new Lollipop one. The Material Dark theme is really slick looking, hopefully you'll be able to switch system menus to a similar colour scheme in the future.

Rktk

Just a pointer that the quick setting for screen rotation will only appear if you go into Accessiblity > turn auto-rotate on and then off.

I use this constantly and was surprised it wasn't there to start with.

gAV7ACO.jpg

sam777

I am using a nexus 5 and since this update I can't get my WiFi to connect to the phone, any other users experiencing this?

Audioboxer

I am using a nexus 5 and since this update I can't get my WiFi to connect to the phone, any other users experiencing this?

Back in the previews my N5 would keep dropping the wireless connection. Can't say now as I moved onto an S5 and am stuck on 4.4.2 for the time being.

sam777

Back in the previews my N5 would keep dropping the wireless connection. Can't say now as I moved onto an S5 and am stuck on 4.4.2 for the time being.

Thanks.
Sounds like a bug, it is so annoying as it is a basic thing that shouldn't happen.

Manage to sort it out. I downloaded an app called "FXR WiFi fix and rescue", and this done the job.

RoadHazard

Gold Member
Just a pointer that the quick setting for screen rotation will only appear if you go into Accessiblity > turn auto-rotate on and then off.

I use this constantly and was surprised it wasn't there to start with.

gAV7ACO.jpg

The rotation lock toggle has been there all along for me, without me having done anything. But yes, the quick toggles are dynamic and appear and disappear depending on what you use (some of them are permanent though, I think, like Wi-Fi and Bluetooth).

RoadHazard

Gold Member
How do you get the location based security option to show up under smart lock? I'm on a Nexus 5.

You have to wait for Play Services to get updated (to 6.5, I believe). I don't have it yet either, don't know what the hell is taking them so long with this rollout.

Jak140

Can anyone please point me to the easiest way to update a rooted Nexus 5 without losing data? I apologize if this has been answered .

Top Bottom