• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Android 5.0 Lollipop announced

kehs

Banned
http://www.androidpolice.com/2014/1...p-on-nov-3rd-other-devices-later-in-november/

Get your ADBs ready!!

my+body+is+always+ready+for+Reggie-sama+_9adb967735d602ac31aebbbfcf685e18.jpg

This is great, but they should have announced this nov 3rd. I know they were trying to get ahead of the apple announcement, but come on, this would have been amaze ball in terms of optics.

"New android, have some images, and otas"

JordanKZ

I'm hyped to see how this is going to look like on my S5 :)

Expect minimal changes. Samsung are pretty damn 'set' with TouchWiz's UI at this point, bar minimal differences.

It sounds as if Sony are moving towards a more 'Googley' look, HTC already did their move with the latest version of Sense.

Noema

Any idea of when it will be out for the LG G3?

December
;)

No idea. The G2 got kit kat in late April so maybe March or April 2015 for the G3? Then again, the g2 was basically a Nexus 5 so it might take a bit longer to get to the G3. It also depends on how long it takes your carrier to sign and push the ROM after LG sends it to them.

Enco

It's so crazy to me that so many phones either don't get the latest update or get it months later.

One of the reasons why I can't see my self ever getting a phone other than a Nexus if I was to move to Android. Even then, the N4 doesn't get this update which is crazy.

Malo

Banned
It's so crazy to me that so many phones either don't get the latest update or get it months later.

One of the reasons why I can't see my self ever getting a phone other than a Nexus if I was to move to Android. Even then, the N4 doesn't get this update which is crazy.
The N4 is getting lollipop.

j-wood

False. The N4 is getting the update. Google confirmed it was a typo that the N4 was left out. Hell, even the 2012 Nexus 7 is getting 5.0

Improvements to runtime, nice.

I wonder if it will help the stutter I see often on my Tegra Note 7, despite having a tegra 4 chip it really suffers in places.

Darkangel

After 4 years I've finally decided to move on from my iPhone 4. Should I get an Xperia Z3 or a Galaxy S5 Google Play Edition?

They're the only phones I can think of that meet all my requirements:
  • ~5" Screen
  • Powerful
  • Expandable Storage
  • Good Camera

JordanKZ

Is android like iOS where they release a GM of 5.0? Have they released it? I have a Nexus 5 and want to get it ASAP.

Yes and no.
Yes = They will post system images as the OTA rolls out. But you will need to flash your device through ADB development tools and if you don't know what you're doing you can format your device (albeit, you have to remove one line of code). Otherwise, the OTA usually rolls out within 10 days to everyone.

There's no confirmed date for Lollipop's roll out. But it sounds like it starts on the 3rd with tablets and wear devices, then phones will get it in the middle of the month.

I really hope the LG G3 gets this up soon and get screwed over as usual from LG if not I'll might as well root.

Going by LG's history, you're basically fucked. :(

Does HTC One M8 get this as well?

Yes. HTC have confirmed the M8 will get it within 90 days. Your carrier will have the final say over distribution though.

Although since you have an M8, you could (as I did):
  1. Unlock the bootloader
  2. Root your device
  3. S-OFF your device
  4. Flash the Google Play Edition ROM
  5. Have stock android.

After 4 years I've finally decided to move on from my iPhone 4. Should I get an Xperia Z3 or a Galaxy S5 Google Play Edition?

Sony have confirmed the Z3 (and their entire Z family) will get Lollipop. Galaxy S5 GPE doesn't even exist, the S4 got one though.

abracadaver

They're the only phones I can think of that meet all my requirements:
  • ~5" Screen
  • Powerful
  • Expandable Storage
  • Good Camera

I'd go with the Z3 because its 1080p (and looks better)

DedValve

Banned
Yes and no.
Yes = They will post system images as the OTA rolls out. But you will need to flash your device through ADB development tools and if you don't know what you're doing you can format your device (albeit, you have to remove one line of code). Otherwise, the OTA usually rolls out within 10 days to everyone.

There's no confirmed date for Lollipop's roll out. But it sounds like it starts on the 3rd with tablets and wear devices, then phones will get it in the middle of the month.

Going by LG's history, you're basically fucked. :(

Yes. HTC have confirmed the M8 will get it within 90 days. Your carrier will have the final say over distribution though.

Although since you have an M8, you could (as I did):
  1. Unlock the bootloader
  2. Root your device
  3. S-OFF your device
  4. Flash the Google Play Edition ROM
  5. Have stock android.

Sony have confirmed the Z3 (and their entire Z family) will get Lollipop. Galaxy S5 GPE doesn't even exist, the S4 got one though.

Jesus christ carriers have a say over when your allowed to upgrade your OS?

Linius

Hmm, will be interesting to see 5.0 on my Xperia Z. I'm upgrading my phone around january/february though, so I doubt I'll ever see it :p

They take care of the distribution. So they have to be ready to roll out the update. It's not like they withhold updates on you or anything.

morningbus

Serious Sam is a wicked gahbidge series for chowdaheads.
I recently just switched to a post-paid t-mobile plan with an unlocked Moto G.

How is the update going to get to me? I've adb'd my tablets and rooted my phones before, but this is new territory for me.

SimleuqiR

Android 5.0 provides a faster, smoother and more powerful computing experience.

Android now runs exclusively on the new ART runtime, built from the ground up to support a mix of ahead-of-time (AOT), just-in-time (JIT), and interpreted code. It’s truly cross-platform and is supported on ARM, x86, and MIPS architectures. It is also fully 64-bit compatible.

ART improves app performance and responsiveness. Efficient garbage collection reduces the number and duration of pauses for GC events, which fit comfortably within the v-sync window so your app doesn’t skip frames. ART also dynamically moves memory to optimize performance for foreground uses.

Looks like ART also supports JIT. Interesting. Did not know that.

RoadHazard

Gold Member
Hmm, to wait for the final version or flash the new preview and roll with that until then? If they've fixed the most annoying bugs from the first preview I'll probably go with that. Can't wait another damn month!

yup, hell my galaxy s2 it came brand new still with android 2.6... and they never gave a fuck about it. i learned the ways of flashing on android(samsung) and had that little sexy beast so fine tuned and up to date that it was a blast having it

i really just upgraded phones because of the shitty outdated resolution tbh... though this time i bought the Z1 without contract and im loving how sony is quickly updating their phones hence why i havent bothered flashing this one (and that it is a hassle learning the ways of flashing in other brands, will try again though it seems there's an easier way to do it now than when i tried)

elty

yup, hell my galaxy s2 it came brand new still with android 2.6... and they never gave a fuck about it. i learned the ways of flashing on android(samsung) and had that little sexy beast so fine tuned and up to date that it was a blast having it

i really just upgraded phones because of the shitty outdated resolution tbh... though this time i bought the Z1 without contract and im loving how sony is quickly updating their phones hence why i havent bothered flashing this one (and that it is a hassle learning the ways of flashing in other brands, will try again though it seems there's an easier way to do it now than when i tried)

Android 2.6? My (old) S2 was 4.0 out of the box, then I got official 4.1 on it. It is carrier branded too.

Android 2.6? My (old) S2 was 4.0 out of the box, then I got official 4.1 on it. It is carrier branded too.

they probably had old stock but is mostly my carrier just didnt care. i think they go by "if it aint broken" kind of thing lol

thats mostly the reason i just buy sim-free phones (sell the phones i get on contract to fund my sim-free phone)

edit: my mistake, os was gingerbread.

better months than years, i always say

pestul

Based Moto G Gen1 with Lollipop..

Simply awesome phone. Best $100 I've ever spent on tech. Hopefully some optimizations to improve battery life even more are included in this.

Mindwipe

So, that's clearer now - the images for the N7 et al are still not finished versions or even release candidates, but the API behaviour is now locked.

Not much time for anything to change, but we'll see.

It's kinda scandalous that there aren't really any API changes to Android's permission model mess at all.

Anyone got it running yet? Do the images include updated stock apps?

So, that's clearer now - the images for the N7 et al are still not finished versions or even release candidates, but the API behaviour is now locked.

Not much time for anything to change, but we'll see.

It's kinda scandalous that there aren't really any API changes to Android's permission model mess at all.

Anyone got it running yet? Do the images include updated stock apps?

From what I'm reading on Reddit, the preview images don't really have Google apps installed. They mostly have AOSP apps (browser, messaging client, etc.).

Top Bottom