• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Android 5.0 Lollipop announced

elty

Well well well, apparently S3 might just get Android 5.0. I'm cautiously optimistic!

That article was from March 2013, which the Android 4.3 did not even exist. That article just simply guessed the S3 will receive the next major Android update - which everyone thought it is "Android 5.0" but end up being Android 4.3/4.4.

If we follow the logic from the article, we will find
S2's last major update is 4.2 (released in November 2012)

which implies
S3's last major update is 4.4 (released in November 2013)
S4's last major update will be 5.0 (released in November 2014)

At this stage, the oldest phone getting Lollipop is Nexus 4 (2 years old), followed by Sony Xperia Z (21 months old). S3 is already 29 months old so I won't hold my breath for it...

ArchAngel

OMG, this build is awesome. You can finally restore your data from a specific device, date and can choose which apps you want to restore. Man, this is miles ahead of the old Preview :eek:

LiquidMetal14

hide your water-based mammals
OMG, this build is awesome. You can finally restore your data from a specific device, date and can choose which apps you want to restore. Man, this is miles ahead of the old Preview :eek:
How does one do that? Will be be moving from an S3 (will sit around collecting dust) to a Nexus 5 32GB.

Renzoku

Banned
Should I just switch to Cyanogen on my GS5? I assume they'll build the next version of it with 5.0 since I can't get stock 5.0.

My only worry is that the camera will see a downgrade because some people said Samsung's camera app/api was better than Google's for this particular phone, is that right?

ArchAngel

How does one do that? Will be be moving from an S3 (will sit around collecting dust) to a Nexus 5 32GB.

If you activated the automatic Google Backup when setting up your phone, you just tap your old backup on the setup of the N5 with Lollipop (in KitKat and before you could just restore the last one). In the Lollipop setup you can choose what to restore :D

You can even transfer you Google Profile to the new phone via NFC at the new setup ^^

RoadHazard

Gold Member
I flashed my N5, couldn't wait! And wow, there's a lot of new stuff here. New device setup experience, new animations, new app drawer, etc.

It's pretty weird how this preview lacks Google apps, though. Everything is just the standard AOSP stuff. SMS/MMS instead of Hangouts, Browser instead of Chrome, Music (yeah, the ass-ugly old one) instead of Play Music, the old Calendar, etc. Oh well, I'll just deactivate all those and install the proper ones.

Takuan

OPO promised L within 3 months of the stock kernel's release. Hopefully it comes earlier than that, but I'm pretty happy with the OS as it is.

RoadHazard

Gold Member
Pardon my ignorance, but is there a good guide to flashing one's phone, on GAF or elsewhere?

Is it a Nexus? Then just follow Google's official instructions. Easy as hell. All you need is to have the Android SDK installed (or really just parts of it, but it's easiest to just install the whole thing IMO), then the included script takes care of the whole flashing process automatically.

Linius

Do you guys think it's likely we'll see another new Nexus phone in the near future in the 5 inch ball park. I'm really interested in a Nexus phone when I'm going to upgrade but 6 inch is just way too big for me.

MercuryLS

Banned
I just checked the Canadian Google Play store and it looks like they killed the Nexus 7. What the hell? So their only tablet offering is the very expensive Nexus 9? Dumb.

Edit: Also they're charging $100CDN for the bump from 16gb to 32gb. The Nexus line representing high-ish quality devices at bargain prices is dead.

RoadHazard

Gold Member
Don't, it's broken. Google never updated it so it's nothing like the release version will be.

They just released a brand new preview today, in case you've missed that. It's massively updated from the old one (this one is likely very close to what the final release will be, if not identical), and everything seems to be working well so far.

DarkFlow

Banned
They just released a brand new preview today, in case you've missed that. It's massively updated from the old one (this one is likely very close to what the final release will be, if not identical), and everything seems to be working well so far.

Ohhh didn't know that. I thought it was same busted one that's been out for months.

RoadHazard

Gold Member
Ohhh didn't know that. I thought it was same busted one that's been out for months.

Nope, brand new, feels much more complete than the old one. Unless some major bug is uncovered it sure feels like this would be absolutely fine to use until the final version is released.

AndyD

aka andydumi
Hmm well I hope I can flash some mostly stable version onto my G2. My wife's S3 though, she may be stuck in the 4.x world.

scently

Nope, brand new, feels much more complete than the old one. Unless some major bug is uncovered it sure feels like this would be absolutely fine to use until the final version is released.

Yeah, Just installed it myself. Its so gorgeous and smooth. One thing though. What's the easiest way to backup data? Lost mine during the install and I don't want to have to lose it all again when the final release is here.

RoadHazard

Gold Member
Yeah, Just installed it myself. Its so gorgeous and smooth. One thing though. What's the easiest way to backup data? Lost mine during the install and I don't want to have to lose it all again when the final release is here.

Depends on what kind of data you're talking about. Unfortunately there's no easy way to backup everything unless you're using a custom bootloader and save full phone images. But most your stuff is in the cloud anyway, right? It should be! For the stuff that isn't:

For app data (some apps use cloud storage, others don't), Helium is a good option. There are some things it can't properly backup or restore though.

The other thing I can think of that doesn't get synced automatically is SMS/MMS. For that I use SMS Backup & Restore (although I think Helium can take care of this as well).

RuGalz

tried the build on my N7, the animation and other touches makes it look a lot friendlier to use. going to wait for cyanogen to integrate L before I update my N5 I think. there are things I just can't live without any more such as customizable screen brightness based on light sensor reading, and I still prefer my back button on the right :p

RoadHazard

Gold Member
Is the preview pretty stable and lag free right now?

Seems very stable, haven't noticed any real issues at all so far. This build is probably very close to the final one that will roll out in November. The only kinda weird thing is that it doesn't really come with any Google apps at all except for the Play Store and Google Now. The rest is just standard AOSP apps. So you get the old SMS/MMS app, the AOSP browser, the horrifically ugly old Music app, etc. No Gmail, no Chrome, no Hangouts, no Play Music, no Maps, etc. But that's easy to fix, of course. Just install the Google apps and disable the AOSP ones (well, you don't have to, but that's what I did so I don't have to see several apps that do the same thing).

tried the build on my N7, the animation and other touches makes it look a lot friendlier to use. going to wait for cyanogen to integrate L before I update my N5 I think. there are things I just can't live without any more such as customizable screen brightness based on light sensor reading, and I still prefer my back button on the right :p

WHAT!

Shame on you. You and Samsung.

SimleuqiR

Going to try and install it tonight.

GK86

Homeland Security Fail
Is the flash images updated for N4 as well? Or only N5/7?

I really want to check it out.

I cannot get over the fluidity of Android L. It's a thing of beauty and really lets Android compete with iOS on the grounds of responsiveness, smoothness, and aesthetics. Material Design is great.

I kinda want the Nexus 6 but I'm wondering if Google will decide to lower the price in response to the outrage of fans. I'll wait until late November to make my decision. I need Android L asap.

I cannot get over the fluidity of Android L. It's a thing of beauty and really lets Android compete with iOS on the grounds of responsiveness, smoothness, and aesthetics. Material Design is great.

I kinda want the Nexus 6 but I'm wondering if Google will decide to lower the price in response to the outrage of fans. I'll wait until late November to make my decision. I need Android L asap.

If not they will drop in price fast. Probably be $450-$499 off contract pretty fast. I don't think it's going to sell very well at all for them.

I have like $800 saved up for a flagship phone. $630 is ludacris though. I don''t think it'll drop to $450 but $500 would be nice.

Could do a One Plus. Only $350. I tested out a Note 4 today in store with the same specs as a Nexus 6 and the higher res screen really isn't noticeable. I also ran Antutu and my One Plus gets higher scores than it did. I think by January Nexus 6 will be under $500 for sure on craigslist and on ebay daily deals.

Could do a One Plus. Only $350. I tested out a Note 4 today in store with the same specs as a Nexus 6 and the higher res screen really isn't noticeable. I also ran Antutu and my One Plus gets higher scores than it did. I think by January Nexus 6 will be under $500 for sure on craigslist and on ebay daily deals.
I'm not interested in the One Plus. I read of bugs with Cyanogenmod and I don't have time for that. Besides, I think the Note 4 display looks gorgeous. I thought it looked sharper than the S5 which BestBuy has for display in the Samsung section.

NotBacon

Not everyone wants to deal with the maintenance of the OPO. Yeah sure it gets great numbers in benchmarks, but most users don't care about that. They care about a phone that just works and works well. After seeing dozens and dozens of issues related to the hardware and software on the OPO, I don't think it fits the bill. Sure it's a great deal, but it's for a niche right now.

Not everyone wants to find out the solution to their problem is to flash a new kernel, fine tune some wakelocks, or that it's just a known issue with CM...

koutoru

Square Enix's mobile division is in deep trouble if they are still having trouble getting their apps to run on ART instead of Dalvik.

SimleuqiR

Wow! Love how it asked me from which device back up I wanted to restore my "new" phone from.

That...and how the not yet installed apps on your homescreens show opaque, ghost like.

IMG_20141017_213610.jpg

AND...your screens and icon placements are saved!! No longer do you have to worry about rearranging icons!!

GOAT!

Esqueleto

Banned
Square Enix's mobile division is in deep trouble if they are still having trouble getting their apps to run on ART instead of Dalvik.

Art was never complete, it had nothing to do with the apps themselves. They're working fine on the new L preview.

LiquidMetal14

hide your water-based mammals
If you activated the automatic Google Backup when setting up your phone, you just tap your old backup on the setup of the N5 with Lollipop (in KitKat and before you could just restore the last one). In the Lollipop setup you can choose what to restore :D

You can even transfer you Google Profile to the new phone via NFC at the new setup ^^
That sounds great. You're saying I could transfer my backup from my S3 to the Nexus with NFC? The easier, the better.

Yaboosh

Super Sleuth
Not everyone wants to deal with the maintenance of the OPO. Yeah sure it gets great numbers in benchmarks, but most users don't care about that. They care about a phone that just works and works well. After seeing dozens and dozens of issues related to the hardware and software on the OPO, I don't think it fits the bill. Sure it's a great deal, but it's for a niche right now.

Not everyone wants to find out the solution to their problem is to flash a new kernel, fine tune some wakelocks, or that it's just a known issue with CM...

I wouldn't recommend the OPO to anyone who isn't willing to flash roms.

But for those who are, it is awesome.

Top Bottom