• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Android Gaming Thread: News & Recommendations

SuperSah

Banned
I want some good shit to test out my Note 3's power.

I got Dead Trigger 2 and on High Settings, the game doesn't break a sweat. What else is there?

RM8

Guys, I'm kinda considering buying an iPhone for the first time. Any former iOS person around here? Is gaming really so much better over there?

My main motivation is that I want the smallest phone available with decent specs, and I found a pretty decent deal. Plus apparently it's much easier to buy games from other regions. Will I regret it, Android bros? :(

jokkir

I want some good shit to test out my Note 3's power.

I got Dead Trigger 2 and on High Settings, the game doesn't break a sweat. What else is there?

Riptide 2, Need for Speed Most Wanted, Real Racing 3.

Look for Gameloft games and/or EA Games. They try to make really good looking games.

Ministration

Neo Member
There are a lot of people in these regions that speak English and in fact prefer to use English. It always boggles my mind that developers lockout entire regions for this reason alone.
It's not like we enjoy preventing people from playing our game. :( Rules are rules though. I'd be happy to take you through our thought process over PM, if you'd like.

Morph-0

It's not like we enjoy preventing people from playing our game. :( Rules are rules though. I'd be happy to take you through our thought process over PM, if you'd like.

I have this same issue. What do you expect people, who want to play the game in English at the same time as their native friends, to do? When I see the usual this game is not for your country message, I move on to the next game. This is a shame for both of us really and why I'm against the practice of region locking.

Guys, I'm kinda considering buying an iPhone for the first time. Any former iOS person around here? Is gaming really so much better over there?

My main motivation is that I want the smallest phone available with decent specs, and I found a pretty decent deal. Plus apparently it's much easier to buy games from other regions. Will I regret it, Android bros? :(

Have you considered the Moto X?

Polished games are a bit more prolific on iOS (and come on sale far more frequently) but if you value emulators or strong controller compatibility, I wouldn't jump ship. If those are moot points, iOS is probably better for mobile gaming.

Edit: Oh, hmm if you're finding issues with buying games in different regions, I'm assuming you're not from the US so the Moto X probably isn't an option. Looks like it's iOS for you.

mjc

Just picked up a Nexus 7 after mulling between that and an iPad Mini. Cheaper price and more power won out for me..but what are some games I should be looking for? I downloaded Might and Magic: Clash of Heroes and Anomaly, but I wanna grab some more. Any good strategy/civilization-esque games out there for Android? I love certain RPGs too..

Any good RPGish games that aren't Zenina or whatever?

It's really hard for me to navigate, look through, or care about 90% of the stuff I see in Android market. I know there are gems, but jesus it's difficult to bother with...

Last great game I played was Plague Inc.

Shiggy

Just received a €5 voucher from Amazon Apps and bought Rabbids Big Bang, Riptide GP2, and Scribblenauts Remix.

marrec

Banned
Any good RPGish games that aren't Zenina or whatever?

It's really hard for me to navigate, look through, or care about 90% of the stuff I see in Android market. I know there are gems, but jesus it's difficult to bother with...

Last great game I played was Plague Inc.

Some good RPGish games I've played:

Knights of Pen and Paper (Amazing game, seriously.)

Delver

BitDungeon

I've never played Kingdom Rush (or the sequel) but I really enjoy TD games. Would you guys recommend I spend the $1.99 on the original, or $2.99 on the sequel and skip the original? I don't have a ton of free time for gaming especially on-the-go, so I'm not sure I'll get around to playing both.

Basically, which is better?

RM8

I've never played Kingdom Rush (or the sequel) but I really enjoy TD games. Would you guys recommend I spend the $1.99 on the original, or $2.99 on the sequel and skip the original? I don't have a ton of free time for gaming especially on-the-go, so I'm not sure I'll get around to playing both.

Basically, which is better?
I hate TD games but adore KRF, that should tell you something :p The original is good too, they're pretty similar. Maybe buy the original one, and then Frontiers if you like the first game.

mackattk

I'm really excited for The Walk, by the Zombies, run! team. Going to buy it tomorrow. Has anyone here tried it?

Picked up both games, going to give it a try soon.

Anyone tried angry birds go? Apparently the gameplay is good, but the game suffers due to always begging you on IAP.

Haven't tried it, but hearing reports of waiting to race again anywhere from 10-30 minutes really turns it off for me.

Getting S4 later, anyone recommend a nice looking but really addictive game with a bit of depth?
Try some Kairosoft games, specifically Game Dev Story and Grand Prix Story. They are sim games that can keep you hooked for hours. And this is coming from some one who isnt much of a sim-genre fan.
The Lite versions are free if you want to try before you buy.

Getting S4 later, anyone recommend a nice looking but really addictive game with a bit of depth?

Anomaly 2 is one of the best looking games on Android, and just a great game to boot. A good game to test the capabilities of the device. As previously mentioned, Rayman Fiesta Run is fantastic (though it suffers slowdown on the hectic levels on my S3, maybe it'll be alright on the S4). And the recently released Badland is absolutely gorgeous. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AmSNLcD1SJE

Plants VS Zombies 2 is great looking and addictive also. And finally, World of Goo is everything you're looking for if you haven't played it before, but it's about 3 years old, now.

wilflare

man.. Dead Trigger 2 is... disappointing with its auto-shoot :/

any other games or FPS (basically games that I can play with my Dualshock 3 + Gameklip setups!) that I should try?

Horseticuffs

Full werewolf off the buckle
man.. Dead Trigger 2 is... disappointing with its auto-shoot :/

any other games or FPS (basically games that I can play with my Dualshock 3 + Gameklip setups!) that I should try?

You can disable the auto-shoot in options :) Also, perhaps Neon Shadow?

I hate TD games but adore KRF, that should tell you something :p The original is good too, they're pretty similar. Maybe buy the original one, and then Frontiers if you like the first game.

Thanks for the advice. I think I'll just jump right into KRF sometime soon.

Any recommendations for a good TCG? Something like Magic: The Gathering or Blizzard's Hearthstone? I see the OP has Shelter, Amber Route and Kingdom Conquest, but I'm wondering if any other games have come out recently that are better? I'm preferably looking for something I just purchase outright so I don't have to deal with microtransactions.

Thanks for the advice. I think I'll just jump right into KRF sometime soon.

Any recommendations for a good TCG? Something like Magic: The Gathering or Blizzard's Hearthstone? I see the OP has Shelter, Amber Route and Kingdom Conquest, but I'm wondering if any other games have come out recently that are better? I'm preferably looking for something I just purchase outright so I don't have to deal with microtransactions.
I don't think TCGs exist like that anymore. All of them are riddled with micro-transactions.

If you find one, I'd be interested to know what it is!

moojito

Woo, free game dev story! That's the second free kairosoft game they've done since I started looking. I think premier league story was the other one. Good times.

Price is tempting, but they look so bland and cookie cutter :/

They are kinda cookie cutter but also they are decent little 16-bit era rpgs that don't cost $7.00 - $15.00. I would say that they are well worth .99, it might be worth picking up one for that price.

GuitarAnthony

Neo Member
Don't know if anyone else who likes puzzle games has picked it up but ChromaCRUSH is an amazing game. Last puzzle game that captured me like this was Radian games' Slydris.

Top Bottom