• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Android Gaming Thread: News & Recommendations

SorchaR

Whoa. I want a final fantasy. Which one is best? I haven't played many of the Japanese versions. I've played through every American released FF multiple times. FF III doesn't look familiar at all.

It depends on what you want. IV is story driven, and I love the story in that one. III has less of a story, but the job system is a lot of fun. I played both on the DS though, I don't know how good the tablet versions are. I'm hoping someone else will be able to say whether they are worth picking up.

heringer

San Andreas crases after the initial loading on my Galaxy S4. Apparently it's a common issue.

Another botched release. Congrats Rockstar.

RdN

The GTA: San Andreas 1.0.2 update fixed most of the problems for me. Unfortunately, my Note 2's poor Mali-400 can't keep up with the game with everything on Max. :(

The GTA: San Andreas 1.0.2 update fixed most of the problems for me. Unfortunately, my Note 2's poor Mali-400 can't keep up with the game with everything on Max. :(

How did you get it on your note 2? The store says its incompatible with my device (also a note 2).

erpg

GAF parliamentarian
How are these games to actually play on a touchscreen? Awful, I presume?
Yeah, pretty much.

Anyway, http://www.app-sales.net will have the list. Updates periodically. I know that Shadowrun Returns has a small discount but isn't on there yet, for example.

I've purchased: Kingdom Rush, some heroes, the new Star Wars Pinball tables, Ticket to Ride and a few others. All a dollar each, except Ticket to Ride, which was 2.

Edit: Pixel Defenders Puzzle, a game I raved about awhile back, is also on sale: https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=air.com.socialtitans.pdp&hl=en

dani_dc

How are these games to actually play on a touchscreen? Awful, I presume?

Yup, trying to play Sonic CD on my smartphone just made me go replay it on PC instead.

I find Sonic particularly annoying with a touchscreen since it's a game where it's particularly important to have good control over Sonic due to the momentum mechanics it features.

You can probably finish the game with it, but I wouldn't really consider it a good experience.

I, on the other hand, played through the entirety of Sonic CD, including all the special stages and fully exploring the past/present/future of every act using only the touch controls. Had zero issues. So yeah, mileage may vary?

Zafir

A ton of games on sale today

Final Fantasy III $7.99
Final Fantasy IV $7.99
Final Fantasy V $7.99
Need for Speed Most Wanted $0.99
Pivvot $1.99

How is Final Fantasy III? I wanted to play it on the DS but the loading times were awful. How is it on Android though?
Final Fantasy Dimensions is also on sale for £5.49, so is Final Fantasy and Final Fantasy 2 for £2.49 each. Seems like the only one that isn't on sale is FFIV After Years. Not that surprising though considering it just came out.

It's also worth noting the Chaos Rings games are on sale too, with 60% off. Can't see the price due to already owning them, but here's a search link to see - https://play.google.com/store/search?q=chaos rings&c=apps&hl=en.

RoadHazard

Gold Member
Yup, trying to play Sonic CD on my smartphone just made me go replay it on PC instead.

I find Sonic particularly annoying with a touchscreen since it's a game where it's particularly important to have good control over Sonic due to the momentum mechanics it features.

You can probably finish the game with it, but I wouldn't really consider it a good experience.

Thanks, thought so. Will pass.

Bboy AJ

My dog was murdered by a 3.5mm audio port and I will not rest until the standard is dead
I, on the other hand, played through the entirety of Sonic CD, including all the special stages and fully exploring the past/present/future of every act using only the touch controls. Had zero issues. So yeah, mileage may vary?

No. I can bike from Maine to California instead of taking a plane.

cyberheater

PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 Xbone PS4 PS4
Hi folks.

Is there a list of games that will work with a attached usb joypad (PS3 controller). Or can folks recommend me some games that work well using a joypad.

Looking for mostly action, fps, shooters and platformers.

We've just got a 2012 edition Nexus 7.

Clunker

Hey all - I don't know the first thing about Android (longtime iOS user) but I'm getting a hand-me-down Kindle Fire sometime this week and so my first reaction was to see what games I could load onto the thing. I know there are some interesting titles to check out, but I didn't know how the Fire stacks up spec-wise and if it's limited in any way or not as open as other vanilla Android devices. Any personal experiences with year-old Kindle Fires?

jvm

Gamasutra.
Hey all - I don't know the first thing about Android (longtime iOS user) but I'm getting a hand-me-down Kindle Fire sometime this week and so my first reaction was to see what games I could load onto the thing. I know there are some interesting titles to check out, but I didn't know how the Fire stacks up spec-wise and if it's limited in any way or not as open as other vanilla Android devices. Any personal experiences with year-old Kindle Fires?
Is it a 1st gen Kindle Fire or a Kindle Fire HD?

If it's a 1st gen, then you should root it and upgrade to Android 4.3.

Pretty sure this is the one I'm running:
http://forum.xda-developers.com/showthread.php?t=2377629

NOTE: This is not for a Kindle Fire HD, so don't try it! Look around on XDA forums for something else for that line of systems.

Makes it a whole new machine. Just brilliant.

My boy has a Kindle Fire HD 7" from April 2013, but not sure what's available for it yet. He's still on Free Time restrictions, so upgrading in this way wouldn't really be useful for us.

Can anyone recommend games similar to League of Evil? I was not certain platformers could work on touch screen, especially after not liking Meganoid, but this game has changed my mind completely. Are OrangePixel's newer games significantly better than Meganoid?

RM8

Can anyone recommend games similar to League of Evil? I was not certain platformers could work on touch screen, especially after not liking Meganoid, but this game has changed my mind completely. Are OrangePixel's newer games significantly better than Meganoid?
Random Heroes - it's free on Amazon. It's one of my absolute favorite mobile platformers.

FirLocke

I always recommend Cytus, really cool looking rhythm with plenty of songs just in the free version. Full version is pretty cheap too.

And every 100,000 new downloads another chapter's worth of songs is added!

Seriously though, best rhythm game on Android. Can be stupid challenging on the higher levels though.

VideoMan

30% Failure Rate
Amazon is giving away $5 Amazon Appstore credit if you download an app from December 24 to 28. This works with the free apps too. Here's the free apps for the days of the promotion:

December 24 - Piano Master Christmas Special
December 25 - Angry Birds Star Wars II
December 26 - Where's my Perry?
December 27 - Quell Memento
December 28 - Doodle Farm

Full details here: http://www.amazon.com/b/ref=appstor...d_t=101&pf_rd_p=1705631902&pf_rd_i=2350149011

Zafir

Amazon is giving away $5 Amazon Appstore credit if you download an app from December 24 to 28. This works with the free apps too. Here's the free apps for the days of the promotion:

December 24 - Piano Master Christmas Special
December 25 - Angry Birds Star Wars II
December 26 - Where's my Perry?
December 27 - Quell Memento
December 28 - Doodle Farm

Full details here: http://www.amazon.com/b/ref=appstor...d_t=101&pf_rd_p=1705631902&pf_rd_i=2350149011

Take it this is US only? I just downloaded Angry Birds Star Wars II and no email regarding any promotion. I'm from the UK for reference.

Ohhh it says that my Note 2 can play Vice City on the amazon appstore (even though it says Kindle edition in the description). Odd since the google play store says its incompatible with my note 2.

Hellraider

Just got a Nexus 7 and looking to spend my $5 amazon credit on games designed for tablets. What should I buy?

Plague is a great strategy game. You are a virus or whatever else you can think of and you try to annihilate the earth. Game is made for tablets, great albeit minimalistic presentation, has some decent depth and all in all a pretty fun game made for short (20-30min) bursts.

Top Bottom