• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Android Gaming Thread: News & Recommendations

Rhysser

Banned
I'm looking for a good metroidvania for android. The only one I can find is Lemegeton, which is decent (not great) but is not finished (2/4 episodes). Are there any completed, decent length metroidvanias? I usually avoid free and f2p so a paid game with no IAP would be great.

jokkir

Warning to those to purchase Final Fantasy V (or any Final Fantasy game) from the Play Store:

You can't play the game if you have Xposed installed. Something messed up with the development of the game and unless Square does anything to fix it, you're most likely out of luck to play it unless you disable Xposed each time you want to play

Qvoth

been checking out wonderflick website for the last few days....
at 1st they said it will be released 26th... then 27th... then 28th... now 30th
this game better be worth it <_<

Loxley

Would anyone have any recommendations for a good chess app for someone who knows nothing about chess, but wants to learn? There are a ton of them on the Play store and I can't for the life of me figure out which one would be ideal for a complete novice.

Nasreddin

Would anyone have any recommendations for a good chess app for someone who knows nothing about chess, but wants to learn? There are a ton of them on the Play store and I can't for the life of me figure out which one would be ideal for a complete novice.
I would recommend Shredder Chess. It features a very flexible AI. You can undo your moves and get tips foor your next step.

Chess Time is definitely a must-have https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.haptic.chesstime

No AI only humans (Android/iOS cross play). It's possible to play against people of your own level. Practice is the best way to improve.

Tips : Never play only 1 match at a time but 5-6-7.

So I got an Android TV stick (Minix Neo G4) for Christmas and playing through the Sonic remakes on a HDTV in real wide-screen with a 360 controller (actually a Mad Cats one with a much improved dpad) is bloody fantastic.

I'm going to try some emulators out later on but has anyone got recommendations for controller supported titles? The stock firmware comes with some touchscreen controller remapping software but I'd prefer to just jump straight into a game like I can with Sonic.

Any decent platformers or beat em ups would be appreciated.

Warning to those to purchase Final Fantasy V (or any Final Fantasy game) from the Play Store:

You can't play the game if you have Xposed installed. Something messed up with the development of the game and unless Square does anything to fix it, you're most likely out of luck to play it unless you disable Xposed each time you want to play

Yeah, I just tried to buy Final Fantasy IV on my Nexus 7 (2012; 4.3.1 Buttered AOKP) from the Play Store, and it wouldn't even start, despite not having anything related to Xposed framework installed. A quick black screen, and it's a crash to desktop with no error message. Judging from the Xposed developer's post on the issue, I'm guessing that one of the custom ROM's features might be getting caught up in Square Enix's piece of shoddy programming.

Final Fantasy III works fine. As far as I know, it's just IV and V (along with some obscure Japanese game) that have this problem.

deroli

There is an app on google play called Kainy that lets you stream the content of your monitor to an android device. That means... pc games, too! Tried the demo and despite my shitty wifi connection, the streaming worked decently.
But the thing is: Most of my games (Steam, Indie, Origin) don't start when the server is running. The crash report often names ntdll.dll the faulting module, but that depends on the game I want to run. Also, it deactivates Aero when I connect my Xperia to the server. Does anyone here successfully use Kainy? I don't find much about the program on the internet and its message board is broken, too.
The premise of the app just sounds too good. Off screen play with basically any android device plus customizable controls. I'd buy the full version instantly... if it worked :p

yogloo

There is an app on google play called Kainy that lets you stream the content of your monitor to an android device. That means... pc games, too! Tried the demo and despite my shitty wifi connection, the streaming worked decently.
But the thing is: Most of my games (Steam, Indie, Origin) don't start when the server is running. The crash report often names ntdll.dll the faulting module, but that depends on the game I want to run. Also, it deactivates Aero when I connect my Xperia to the server. Does anyone here successfully use Kainy? I don't find much about the program on the internet and its message board is broken, too.
The premise of the app just sounds too good. Off screen play with basically any android device plus customizable controls. I'd buy the full version instantly... if it worked :p
I have it and I can vouch for it. On my so so wifi connection I can play arkham asylum with almost no lag. I never tried mapping the controller on the display though so I don't know how well that will go. It does movie streaming really well too.
I have never encountered any crash though. Not even on the demo version. I think it might be hardware related. I'm using galaxy note 8 btw.

moojito

I downloaded a game called quiz rpg the other day and I have to say it's really good so far. You have cards with stats and pictures of things on them that you use to fight others with, and you answer general knowledge questions to determine if your attack is successful. How quickly you answer has an effect on things as well.

I've been looking for an android version of metal gear acid forever, and while this is not it, it's close enough to do me the noo.

https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=jp.colopl.enquizwiz

gvr8GpwkbOWdrr6xSeMyruRQ2s7ytsyNEl7J4kIB1cBtYYDPrWrI4BwR0kWuPR3fBx2c=h310-rw

wilflare

MEGATON, especially if I can use my whatever on it. I mean Dualshock3

garath

Well I finally bought FF3. I'm really pleased by the visuals and the way they integrated the touch controls. Obviously it's not all flowers and sunshine using a virtual stick but it's tolerable.

It's a battery hog though. Even with my massive Droid MAXX battery life I felt the drain hard. Lost about 10% in the 30 minutes I played.

jokkir

Sonic & All-Stars Racing Transformed is out for Android now, have an iPhone but was waiting for the Android version so I can play on my tablet.

https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.sega.sonic.transformed

Awesome but looks like multiplayer isn't implemented yet:
COMING VERY SOON: ULTIMATE MOBILE MULTIPLAYER!
Take on your friends in ultracompetitive 4-player races, both online and locally. Plus challenge your friends&#8217; best times to show them who is the best.

Also, how's the first game? It's on sale right now (probably last day today) and though I might as well get it.

mackattk

This is what has redeemed my Ouya, while not perfect, it does well enough for most games.

I have a Shield but my PC for streaming is back in Australia, so I've been looking for ways to stream without using the Nvidia tech. Personally I found Kainy way too glitchy, so I'm using Splashtop and Droidmote which works really well.

mr_toa

I have a Shield but my PC for streaming is back in Australia, so I've been looking for ways to stream without using the Nvidia tech. Personally I found Kainy way too glitchy, so I'm using Splashtop and Droidmote which works really well.

Hmm, splashtop looks interesting!

jokkir

It's OK. It's a port of the DS version, which is a bit disappointing since the console versions were vastly superior, but you could do worse (MUCH worse) for 99 cents.

Oh, it's a port of the DS version? I thought it was a port of the Wii version at least.

I guess I'll pass on this for now

Hasney

Really enjoying Pocket League Story 2 in spite of the microtransactions. not spent a penny and doing alright.

I really do like the fact that the microtransactions are sold to you by the devil, however.

Hmm, splashtop looks interesting!

The biggest problem with it at the moment is that it doesn't focus the game window and fill your screen like Kainy does, and there's no fullscreen support yet. Pinch zoom to expand the window works well enough though, and if you can afford the slight performance hit on the streaming machine you can use a range of small apps to force borderless windowed mode which means fullscreen fun.

Droidmote is a little fiddly to configure but unlike Kainy you can actually use the controller directly without having to map buttons to keyboard keys, and if the game uses Xinput you can emulate a 360 controller with any gamepad easily.

deroli

The biggest problem with it at the moment is that it doesn't focus the game window and fill your screen like Kainy does, and there's no fullscreen support yet. Pinch zoom to expand the window works well enough though, and if you can afford the slight performance hit on the streaming machine you can use a range of small apps to force borderless windowed mode which means fullscreen fun.

I've tried Splashtop, too. Besides the lack of fullscreen support, the lower framerate and higher lag compared to Kainy bothered me. There is some kind of lag when using Kainy, but it's still playable and enjoyable for many games. Couldn't fix the error messages though. :/ Updated my gpu driver, installed over 100 important windows updates (ouch) and removed daemon tools after some research, but still no luck. Hmpf, maybe a next version will fix things.

I've tried Splashtop, too. Besides the lack of fullscreen support, the lower framerate and higher lag compared to Kainy bothered me. There is some kind of lag when using Kainy, but it's still playable and enjoyable for many games. Couldn't fix the error messages though. :/ Updated my gpu driver, installed over 100 important windows updates (ouch) and removed daemon tools after some research, but still no luck. Hmpf, maybe a next version will fix things.

Haha I had the exact opposite experience. Kainy had terrible lag and compression artefacts, Splashtop has been perfect by comparison.

RM8

I was hyped for Sonic Racing Transformed, but during races the UI doesn't fit the screen, so I only see a tiny part of the pause button and the number that shows your position. Bleh, refund.

Halcyon

So I've been enjoying Arc Redux on android and it runs awesome on my Nexus 7. It plays alot like StarFox minus the finer control.

mnannola

I was hyped for Sonic Racing Transformed, but during races the UI doesn't fit the screen, so I only see a tiny part of the pause button and the number that shows your position. Bleh, refund.

Is this out for Android? Thought it was just IOS.

RM8

It's on Android now :p I wish it didn't have issues, the "real" version is a superb game. Maybe your devices will be luckier.

Had the same problem. Also claims to support physical controls but doesn't recognise the Shield. I'm going to wait and try again in a day or two, Sega are usually pretty good with their Android stuff.

Top Bottom